TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feb 9th Friday Price Action Trade Result - Profit $17125.00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Price Action Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm & http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=850
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Users Reviews, Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
Review of TheStrategyLab: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167 & http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm
Price Action Trading: http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Telephone: +1 708 572-4885
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
Stocktwits @ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
Twitter @ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
020918-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-Broker-PnL-Statement-Profit+17125.00.png
020918-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-Broker-PnL-Statement-Profit+17125.00.png [ 74.35 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini RTY ($RTY_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $17,125.00 dollars or +342.50 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $17,125.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini RTY Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $5.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup (formerly as TF @ The ICE)
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log & Price Action Analysis is archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=2750

All of my trades are posted real-time at the above link for today's archive chat log in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room via the user name wrbtrader for anyone to do a real-time review (you must be a member of the chat room for a real-time review). Although the trades and price action analysis are posted by me and other users of WRB Analysis in real-time...review of TheStrategyLab is that this is not a signal calling chat room nor is this a live trading room that has a head trader telling you what to do. I'm the moderator (I keep the peace between members) and my own live trades are posted within 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation in my broker trade execution platform via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can review today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility...all key concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide even though the free chat room is not design to be an education chat room because the education is only performed at the forums in the private threads.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room nor is it a live trading room with a head trader even though members of the chat room are posting their trades & market analysis in real-time. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of TheStrategyLab free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback about your own trading and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. In addition, we highly recommend that you use the free chat room with a professional trade journal software like tradebench.com, edgewonk.com, tradervue.com, tradingdiarypro.com, stocktickr.com, journalsqrd.com, tradingdiary.pro, mxprofit.com or trademetria.com because they can provide you with the quantitative statistical analysis of your trading. You can then download your results and post them in your private thread at the forum.

Also, you can use TheStrategyLab free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your quantitative statistical analysis, brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post that particular information in your private thread for security reasons. Yet, if you want to post that type of information at another website, blog or chat room...that's your choice.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages, many different mobile apps, many different types of social media software can be used to log in along with IRC being easier to moderate via script codes when trouble makers, spammers and trolls show up. I'm the moderator of the free chat room via the user name wrbtrader. Thus, I keep the peace between members without hesitation in removing problematic traders so that members can peacefully post their market observations, trades, WRB Analysis commentary about the markets without being trolled or harassed.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is not for traders looking for someone to hold their hands and tell them when to buy or sell nor do we allow the free chat room to be used for mentoring because we do not offer a mentoring service. The purpose of TheStrategyLab is for you to post your real-time analysis or trades so that you can review as feedback for any trading day to provide valuable information about the results in your broker statements. If you join the free chat room and then you decide to not post any WRB Analysis about the price action or you decide to not post your trades or you decide to be silent (lurk without saying a word about today's markets)...you're not using the free chat room properly to help improve your trading.

In fact, we do not want silent (lurkers) traders to join the free chat room unless they are actively posting at the forum about their trading after the markets close. Access instructions for the free chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Yet, I'm always backtesting new concepts of WRB Analysis, new trade entry rules, new trade management rules, new position size management rules before application in real money trades (small position size trades) to adapt to changed market conditions prior to large position size trades or sharing the new concepts with fee-base clients...living up to the name of my website. TheStrategyLab.

Also, posted below for you to review are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=345&t=3659 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini RTY futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives for easy review to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
020918-TheStrategyLab-Chat-Room-Key-Markets.png
020918-TheStrategyLab-Chat-Room-Key-Markets.png [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 364 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

The Market at 04:35PM ET
Dow: +330.44… | Nasdaq: +97.33… | S&P: +38.55…
NASDAQ Vol: 3.14 bln… Adv: 1732… Dec: 1277…
NYSE Vol: 1.31 bln… Adv: 1784… Dec: 1228…
iPad apps for Morningstar StockInvestor, FundInvestor, DividendInvestor, ETFInvestor

Moving the Market

Trading still highly volatile as investors search for a market bottom

S&P 500 fails to break through 200-day simple moving; positive sign for the bulls

Heavily-weighted financials and technology sectors show relative strength

Congress passes budget deal that increases spending by $300 billion over two years

Yields continue to hover near multi-year highs

Sector Watch
Strong: Financials, Materials, Technology, Utilities, Real Estate
Weak: Consumer Discretionary, Energy, Consumer Staples

04:35PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] U.S. equities reclaimed a nice chunk of their losses for the week on Friday in another volatile trading session. The S&P 500 gained 1.5%, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the Nasdaq Composite advanced 1.4% apiece. The small-cap Russell 2000 also rallied, climbing 1.0%.

The S&P 500 covered a wide range of about 105 points--up 2.2% at its high and down 1.9% at its low.

Stocks opened in positive territory, but began moving lower shortly thereafter. The market hit negative territory in the late morning, but the retreat came to a halt as the S&P 500 approached its 200-day simple moving average (2539), which it had not tested since right before the 2016 presidential election.

The S&P 500 dipped slightly below that key technical level, which served as a springboard for renewed buying efforts which culminated in a late rally that left equities at their session highs.

The defense of the 200-day simple moving average proved to be a silver lining for investors, who endured an otherwise terrible week. The S&P 500, the Dow, and the Nasdaq lost a little more than 5.0% apiece this week and now trade roughly 9% below the record highs they hit on January 26.

10 of 11 sectors finished Friday in the green as advancing issues outnumbered declining issues 1.4 to 1 at the New York Stock Exchange.

The top-weighted technology (+2.5%) and financials (+1.9%) sectors were relatively strong throughout the session, settling near the top of the sector standings.

Within the tech space, NVIDIA (NVDA 232.08, +14.56) jumped 6.7% after blowing past Q4 earnings and revenue estimates and raising its guidance for the first quarter.

On the downside, the energy sector (-0.4%) finished at the bottom of the sector standings as the price of crude oil declined for the sixth session in a row. West Texas Intermediate crude futures tumbled 3.1% to $59.23 per barrel--their lowest level since the end of December.

In Washington, Congress passed a budget deal early Friday morning, but not before shutting down the government for a few hours--the previous spending deal ran out at midnight. The deal will increase spending caps and raise defense and non-defense spending by approximately $160 billion and $130 billion, respectively.

The bill will also provide an additional $90 billion for disaster aid and extend the debt ceiling until 2019.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries ended the week on a higher note, with shorter-dated issues showing relative strength. The yield on the 2-yr Treasury note declined seven basis points to 2.06%, while the benchmark 10-yr yield slipped two basis points to 2.83%. Yields move inversely to prices.

Friday's economic data was limited to December Wholesale Inventories, which increased 0.4% month-over-month (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%). The key takeaway from the report was that the sales increase outpaced the inventory increase by a sizable margin. That is a step in the right direction for wholesalers trying to regain some pricing power.

On Monday, investors will receive just one piece of data--the January Treasury Budget--which will be released at 2:00 PM ET.

Nasdaq Composite: -0.4% YTD
S&P 500: -2.0% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average: -2.1% YTD
Russell 2000: -3.8% YTD

Week In Review: A Wild Ride

The equity market dropped sharply this week, with the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and the Nasdaq Composite losing around 5.0% apiece in volatile trading. Sizable gains on Tuesday and Friday helped keep losses somewhat in check, but they couldn't keep the major indices positive for the year. The three averages are down between 0.4% and 2.1% year to date.

This week's selling was related to fears about rising interest rates, and the realization that stocks have gone too far, too fast, but it was a collective de-risking effort following the implosion of short volatility ETFs that acted as the expedient for broad-based and indiscriminate selling activity. The S&P 500 soared 7.5% in the first four weeks of 2018 on top of last year's 19.4% rally.

Technical, mechanical, and psychological forces all came together to knock back the market in an abrupt fashion.

The S&P 500 breached its 50-day simple moving average for the first time in five months. Weak-handed investors were consistently shaken out of "buy-the-dip" trades this week, sending stocks, and investor sentiment, even lower.

Congress missed a midnight spending deadline on Thursday--forcing a partial government shutdown--but passed a two-year budget deal a few hours later. The bill will boost spending by approximately $300 billion over the next two years, provide an additional $90 billion for disaster aid, and extend the debt ceiling until 2019.

The increase in spending prompted concerns about fiscal discipline, especially considering debt issuance was already expected to rise due to changes to the U.S. tax code. These concerns kept Treasuries in check and yields at multi-year highs.

However, outflows from the stock market ultimately edged out fiscal concerns, leaving Treasuries modestly higher--and thereby Treasury yields modestly lower--for the week. The benchmark 10-yr yield finished one basis point below the four-year high it touched last Friday at 2.83%.

Meanwhile, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX), often referred to as the "investor fear gauge," ended the week higher by 66.7% at 28.86.

All 11 S&P 500 sectors finished the week in the red, with losses ranging between 2.8% (utilities) and 8.5% (energy). In general, cyclical sectors--including the heavily-weighted financial sector (-5.8%)--underperformed their countercyclical peers.

The energy sector struggled as West Texas Intermediate crude futures dropped 9.5% to $59.23 per barrel--their lowest level since the end of December.

Overseas, equity markets in Asia and Europe finished the week solidly lower, following Wall Street's lead. China's Shanghai Composite and Hong Kong's Hang Seng led the retreat in Asia, dropping 9.5% apiece, while Germany's DAX and France's CAC set the pace in Europe with losses of 5.3% apiece.

The market still anticipates that the next rate hike will occur at the March FOMC meeting as Fed officials minimized this week's sell off, continuing to emphasize a path of gradual rate increases. The CME FedWatch Tool places the chances of a March rate hike at 71.9%, virtually unchanged from last week's 76.1%.
Dow: +330.44… | Nasdaq: +97.33… | S&P: +38.55…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1732/1277. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1784/1228.

03:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities end the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently up 1.6% at 85.6442
Dollar index is currently up 0.23% at 90.44
Mar WTI Crude is down on the day.
Baker Hughes total U.S. rig count increased by 29 to 975 following last week's decrease of 1
Futures settle $2.00 lower to $59.13/barrel.
In other energy, Mar Natural Gas settled down $0.12 at $2.58/MMBtu
On the metals:
Apr Gold lost $2.60 to settle at $1316.40/oz, while Mar silver lost $0.19 to $16.15/oz
Mar Copper dropped $0.05 to $3.03/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Mar Corn settled unchanged at $3.62/bu.
Mar Soy settled up $0.0075 at $9.8375/bu.
Mar Wheat settled up $0.01 at $4.5/bu.

Dow: +120.62… | Nasdaq: +44.5… | S&P: +16.27…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 640/472. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1399/1592.

03:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages enter the final hour of trading in positive territory, sporing gains between 0.4% and 0.6%.

In the bond market, longer-dated Treasuries have slipped from their session highs in recent action, pushing the benchmark 10-yr yield back to its unchanged mark (2.84%). The 2-yr yield is still lower, however, down eight basis points at 2.05%.

Looking ahead to next week's earnings, PepsiCo (PEP 110.10, -0.05) will report on Tuesday, Cisco Systems (CSCO 39.22, +0.45) will report on Wednesday, and Coca-Cola (KO 42.72, -0.39) and Kraft Heinz (KHC 71.27, -0.30) will deliver their results on Friday.

As for economic data, next week's most influential reports are the Consumer Price Index for January (Wednesday), Retail Sales for January (Wednesday), the Producer Price Index for January (Thursday), and Housing Starts for January (Friday).
Dow: +59.47… | Nasdaq: +32.68… | S&P: +10.70…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1454/1557. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1249/1745.

02:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 (+0.8%) has been rallying since bouncing off its 200-day simple moving average about an hour ago.

Nine of eleven sectors are trading in the green, with the top-weighted technology (+1.5%) and financials (+1.3%) groups setting the pace.

On the flip side, the energy group (-1.2%) is the worst performer as WTI crude tumbles 3.2% to $59.14 per barrel.
Dow: +135.44… | Nasdaq: +53.06… | S&P: +19.67…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 901/613. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1418/1586.

02:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices hold losses between 0.5% and 0.7%, hovering near the center of their trading ranges.

The S&P 500 tested its 200-day simple moving average (2538.85) 30 minutes ago, failed to break through, and then moved sharply higher, trimming its loss to 0.5% from 1.9%.

The last test of the 200-day simple moving average came in early November 2016. It held and it was off to the races after that following the presidential election.
Dow: -217.00… | Nasdaq: -54.37… | S&P: -16.69…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 414/1294. …NYSE Adv/Dec 744/2250.

01:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity markets remain under pressure and are trading near the session lows as we hit the lunch hour. Sellers remain in control as the uncertainty around the impact of rising interest rates continues to grip global markets. The Dow Jones is down -1.7% on the day and has now lost -10% of its value in February and is down -4.9% on the year. The S&P is down -1.3%, losing approximately -9.7% of its value in February and -4.7% for 2018. The Nasdaq is lower by -1.6% on the day, while losing -10.1% in February and -3.5% in 2018.

The selling in the Dow has been broad based. Walmart Inc (WMT) is the biggest laggard as it is down 2.6% on the day. WMT is being closely followed by Boeing (BA, -2.3%) which is the largest component in the Dow. BA has failed to find a bid despite plans for a new budget that will see a boost to defense spending of approximately $160 bln over the next two years. Other notable decliners include Home Depot (HD, -2.3%), Goldman Sachs (GS, -2.1%) and Merck (MRK, -1.9%). Goldman is perhaps a little surprising as it should be a winner on the recent volatility. Peer J.P. Morgan (JPM, -0.6%) has been able to hold up a little better under the selling pressure as the rise in rates provides some support in a negative equity environment.

Nike (NKE, +1.1%) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ, +0.2%) are the only two components in the green on the day. NKE may be seeing a boost from the China PPI data which came in slightly better than expected and could be easy fears of rising production costs in the country. JNJ shares are being supported by an announcement of positive Phase 3 SPARTAN clinical data that was released last night.

Dow: -413.88… | Nasdaq: -122.22… | S&P: -38.3…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 651/2300. …NYSE Adv/Dec 481/2550.

01:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] It's been another volatile day of trading on Wall Street, with the major averages holding losses between 0.9% and 1.2% at midday.

The S&P 500 has covered an 80-point range, holding a gain of 1.5% at its best mark of the day and a loss of 1.6% at its worst. Nine of eleven sectors are trading in the red, with losses ranging from 0.7% (telecom services) to 2.6% (energy). Declining issues outnumber advancing issues 4 to 1 at the New York Stock Exchange.

Energy shares have underperformed amid another drop in the price of crude oil; West Texas Intermediate crude futures are down 3.0% at $59.33/bbl--their lowest level since the end of December.

Meanwhile, the rate-sensitive utilities (+0.8%) and real estate (+0.1%) sectors are the two advancing groups, benefiting from a decrease in Treasury yields; the benchmark 10-yr yield is down three basis points at 2.81%. Treasury yields move inversely to Treasury prices, which have been boosted by the uncertainty on Wall Street.

Today's equity decline leaves the S&P 500, the Dow, and the Nasdaq down between 7.8% and 8.0% week to date.

The S&P 500 is approaching a key technical level--its 200-day simple moving average (2538.94).

In earnings news, NVIDIA (NVDA 220.40, +2.88) shares are up 1.2% after the chipmaker beat both profit and sales estimates for the fourth quarter and raised its Q1 guidance. Conversely, Expedia (EXPE 99.82,- 23.28) shares have plunged 18.9% after the travel company sharply missed Q4 earnings and revenue estimates.

In Washington, Congress passed a two-year budget deal this morning, but not before shutting down the government for a few hours--the previous spending deal ran out at midnight. The deal will boost spending by approximately $300 billion over the next two years, provide an additional $90 billion for disaster aid, and extend the debt ceiling until 2019.

Today's economic data was limited to December Wholesale Inventories, which increased 0.4% month-over-month (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%). The key takeaway--the sales increase outpaced the inventory increase by a sizable margin, which is a step in the right direction for wholesalers trying to regain some pricing power.
Dow: -263.44… | Nasdaq: -83.60… | S&P: -22.77…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 257/1790. …NYSE Adv/Dec 564/2407.

12:25PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks abruptly dropped to new session lows in recent action; the S&P 500 is down 0.8% after trading near its flat line 30 minutes ago.

Transports are struggling today, evidenced by the 2.6% decrease in the Dow Jones Transportation Average.

DJTA components UPS (UPS 105.34, -3.94) and FedEx (FDX 229.88, -9.22) show particular weakness, losing 3.6% and 3.9%, respectively, after a Wall Street Journal report that Amazon (AMZN 1286.89, -63.33) is preparing to launch a delivery service for businesses.

However, for the week, the DJTA is down 7.3%, which is roughly in line with the S&P 500 (-7.4% WTD).
Dow: -221.26… | Nasdaq: -59.64… | S&P: -17.41…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 343/1890. …NYSE Adv/Dec 680/2259.

11:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The Dow Jones Industrial Average is down 0.3%, while the Nasdaq Composite and the S&P 500 hover just a tick below their flat lines.

West Texas Intermediate crude futures are down 2.2% at $59.79 per barrel, hitting their lowest level since the end of December. WTI crude has lost 8.7% week to date, moving lower in all five sessions. Unsurprisingly, the energy sector has tumbled alongside crude oil, dropping 9.3% for the week--which is about 3.0% more than the S&P 500.

In Europe, the major bourses wrapped up Friday on a lower note, with France's CAC (-1.4%) leading the retreat. For the week, the Euro Stoxx 50 lost 5.6%.
Dow: -102.00… | Nasdaq: -15.15… | S&P: -5.16…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 712/1648. …NYSE Adv/Dec 964/1934.

11:25AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities are all over the map this morning, staying true to this week's whipsaw trend.

The S&P 500 is currently up 0.1%, but could be just about anywhere in the few minutes it takes to post this comment.

One thing is for sure, NVIDIA (NVDA 225.60, +8.11) released some impressive Q4 results last night, beating earnings and revenue estimates while also raising its guidance for the first quarter. NVDA shares are up 3.8%, helping the S&P 500's technology sector (+1.2%) trade ahead of its peers.

Meanwhile, Expedia (EXPE 102.11, -20.93) has plunged 17.0% after missing earnings and revenue estimates for the fourth quarter.
Dow: +3.29… | Nasdaq: +10.03… | S&P: +4.89…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 898/1532. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1118/1748.

11:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks just dove sharply, giving back all of their opening gains, and then bounced back into positive territory. The S&P 500 has been up as much as 1.5% and has been down as much as 0.5%. The benchmark index currently trades higher by 0.5%.

The 11 sectors are pretty evenly mixed between green and red; the top-weighted technology sector (+0.9%) is among the top-performing groups, while the energy (-0.8%) and consumer discretionary (-0.7%) sectors are trading at the bottom of the sector standings.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries are higher, pushing yields lower across the curve; the benchmark 10-yr yield is down one basis point at 2.83%, while the 2-yr yield is lower by three basis points at 2.13%.
Dow: +59.11… | Nasdaq: +29.53… | S&P: +11.10…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1033/1430. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1235/1607.

10:35AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities begin the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down 1.19% at 85.977
Dollar index is currently up 0.24% at 90.45
Mar WTI crude is down on the day.
Baker Hughes rig count due out at 12pm ET.
Futures are $1.00 lower to $60.15/barrel.
In other energy, Mar natural gas is down $0.09 at $2.61/MMBtu
Metals:
Apr gold lost $5.20 and trades at $1313.80/oz, while Mar silver lost $0.16 to $16.18/oz
Mar copper dropped 0.04 to $3.04/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Mar corn is down $0.01 at $3.65/bu.
Mar soy is down $0.05 at $9.8325/bu.
Mar wheat is down $0.05 at $4.51/bu.

Dow: +122.28… | Nasdaq: +53.96… | S&P: +17.66…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1360/1224. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1476/1337.

10:05AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hold gains between 1.1% and 1.5%.

Just in, December Wholesale Inventories increased 0.4% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%). The November reading was revised to +0.6% from +0.8%.
Dow: +269.19… | Nasdaq: +100.32… | S&P: +32.95…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1814/854. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2001/763.

09:40AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages are higher this morning in volatile trading, sporting gains between 0.5% and 0.7%.

All 11 sectors are trading in the green, with the top-weighted financials (+1.0%) and technology (+1.1%) sectors setting the pace.

On the flip side, the real estate (+0.2%) and energy (+0.1%) sectors are struggling to stay afloat, with energy trying to overcome a decline in the price of crude oil; West Texas Intermediate crude futures are down 1.6% at $60.14 per barrel.

As a reminder, today's lone economic report--December Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.2%)--will be released at 10:00 AM ET.
Dow: +148.90… | Nasdaq: +55.83… | S&P: +20.11…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1756/904. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1779/866.

09:17AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +26.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +56.50.

Stocks are on track to open in the green, but that's far from a guarantee as trading remains very volatile. The S&P 500 futures are currently trading 26 points, or 1.0%, above fair value, but they were up just three points, or 0.1%, a little over an hour ago. The S&P 500 comes into today's session with a week-to-date loss of 6.6%.

In Washington, Congress passed a two-year budget deal this morning, but not before shutting down the government for a few hours--the previous spending deal ran out at midnight. The deal will increase spending caps and raise defense and non-defense spending by approximately $160 billion and $130 billion, respectively.

In corporate news, NVIDIA (NVDA 239.00, +21.48) is up 9.9% after blowing past Q4 earnings and revenue estimates and issuing above-consensus guidance, Expedia (EXPE 104.00, -19.03) is down 15.5% after sharply missing Q4 earnings and revenue estimates, and UPS (UPS 105.00, -4.28) and FedEx (FDX 231.20, -8.07) are down 3.9% and 3.4%, respectively, following a Wall Street Journal report that Amazon (AMZN 1375.02, +24.02) is preparing to launch a delivery service for businesses.

On the data front, investors will receive just one report today--December Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.2%)--which will be released at 10:00 AM ET.

Overseas, equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region finished Friday on a lower note, with China's Shanghai Composite (-4.1%) leading the retreat, and the major European bourses are currently trading in the red; France's CAC is down 0.7%, while Germany's DAX and the UK's FTSE show respective losses of 0.5% and 0.4%.

Also of note, West Texas Intermediate crude futures are down 1.1% at $60.50 per barrel, extending their week-to-date loss to 7.6%.

09:02AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +26.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +56.50.

The S&P 500 futures trade 26 points, or 1.0%, above fair value.

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended the week on a broadly lower note. The People's Bank of China released roughly CNY2.00 trillion, looking to support cash demand surrounding the Lunar New Year. In Japan, Koichi Hamada, who advises Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, said that recent volatility in global equity markets could discourage the Bank of Japan from raising rates. Kim Yo-jong, who is the sister of North Korea's Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un, shook hands with South Korea's President Moon Jae-in at the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. This marks the first time that a member of the Kim family has set foot in South Korea since 1953.

In economic data:
China's January CPI +0.6% month-over-month (expected 0.7%; last 0.3%); +1.5% year-over-year, as expected (last 1.8%). January PPI +4.3% year-over-year, as expected (last 4.9%)
Japan's Tertiary Industry Activity Index -0.2% month-over-month (expected 0.2%; last 1.1%). M2 Money Stock +3.4% year-over-year (consensus 3.6%; last 3.6%)
Australia's December Home Loans -2.3% month-over-month (expected -0.9%; last 1.6%). December Invest Housing Finance -2.6% month-over-month (last 1.5%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei lost 2.3%, surrendering 8.1% for the week. DeNA, Furukawa, Komatsu, NSK, Hitachi Construction, Shin-Etsu Chemical, SUMCO, Okuma, JTEKT, Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Dainippon Screen Manufacturing, and Fanuc posted losses between 4.0% and 9.1%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng dropped 3.1%, extending this week's loss to 9.5%. Country Garden Holdings dove 6.7% while Galaxy Entertainment, China Resources Power, Ping An Insurance, CK Asset, China Life Insurance, AIA Group, PetroChina, and Sands China lost between 3.6% and 4.8%.
China's Shanghai Composite slid 4.1%, ending the week lower by 9.6%. Zhonglu, Dongfang Electric, Fujian Furi Electronics, Shanxi Coking, and Harbin Air Conditioning all posted losses near 10.0%.
India's Sensex settled lower by 1.2%, diving 6.2% for the week. ICICI Bank, Bharti Airtel, Housing Development Finance, Infosys, AXIS Bank, Tata Motors, Wipro, SBI, and HDFC Bank posted losses between 1.6% and 2.4%.

Major European indices trade lower across the board. In Italy, Forza Italia's Silvio Berlusconi said that Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni should maintain his post if the March election does not produce a majority. In the UK, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn expressed interest in keeping Britain in the customs union, which is being opposed by Prime Minister Theresa May.

In economic data:
UK's December trade deficit GBP13.58 billion (expected deficit of GBP11.50 billion; last deficit of GBP12.46 billion). December Industrial Production -1.3% month-over-month (expected -0.9%; last 0.3%); 0.0% year-over-year (expected 0.3%; last 2.6%). December Manufacturing Production +0.3% month-over-month, as expected (last 0.2%); +1.4% year-over-year (consensus 1.2%; last 3.8%). December Construction Output +1.6% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; last 0.1%); -0.2% year-over-year (consensus -1.4%; last 0.8%)
Italy's December Industrial Production +1.6% month-over-month (expected 0.8%; last 0.2%); +4.9% year-over-year (consensus 1.9%; last 2.3%)
France's December Industrial Production +0.5% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; last -0.3%)
Swiss January Unemployment Rate 3.0%, as expected (last 3.0%)

---Equity Markets---

UK's FTSE trades down 0.9%. Financials and select consumer names are among the weakest performers. Provident Financial, RBS, Standard Life, Prudential, Next, Unilever, ITV, Old Mutual, Imperial Brands, Standard Chartered, and Burberry Group are down between 1.1% and 3.2%.
France's CAC has slid 1.4%. Airbus Group is down 2.4% while financials like Credit Agricole, BNP Paribas, Societe Generale, and AXA show losses between 2.2% and 2.8%. Peugeot, TechnipFMC, Louis Vuitton, and Danone have given up between 1.4% and 2.3%.
Germany's DAX has slid 1.4%. Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank hold respective losses of 4.3% and 2.2%, while Bayer, Siemens, Allianz, Lufthansa, BASF, SAP, and BMW are down between 1.2% and 2.2%.

08:25AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +13.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +33.30.

The S&P 500 futures trade 14 points, or 0.5%, above fair value.

It's been a pretty terrible week for the U.S. equity market, with the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and the Nasdaq Composite losing around 6.5% apiece. The losses leave the major averages between 9.7% and 10.4% below the record highs they hit on January 26.

All 11 sectors have moved lower this week, with losses ranging between 4.9% (utilities) and 8.1% (energy).

07:57AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +9.80. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +24.80.

Equity futures are pointing to a higher open, although they're currently trading near overnight lows; the S&P 500 futures are 10 points, or 0.4%, above fair value, but were up as much as 34 points, or 1.3%, earlier. The S&P 500 comes into today's session with a week-to-date loss of 6.6%.

Congress passed a two-year budget deal this morning, but not before shutting down the government for a few hours--the previous spending deal ran out at midnight. The deal will increase spending caps and raise defense and non-defense spending by approximately $160 billion and $130 billion, respectively.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries are higher this morning following a flat performance on Thursday. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note is down three basis points at 2.82%, while the 2-yr yield is lower by two basis points at 2.11%. Yields move inversely to prices.

Meanwhile, West Texas Intermediate crude futures are down 1.5% at $60.26/bbl, extending their loss for the week to 7.9%. The U.S. Dollar Index is a tick higher at 90.31.

Investors will receive just one economic report today--December Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.2%)--which will be released at 10:00 AM ET.

In U.S. corporate news:

NVIDIA (NVDA 238.50, +20.98): +9.7% after blowing past Q4 earnings and revenue estimates and issuing above-consensus guidance.
Expedia (EXPE 100.00, -23.03): -18.7% after sharply missing Q4 earnings and revenue estimates.
UPS (UPS 103.51, -5.77) and FedEx (FDX 227.00, -12.27): -5.0% following a WSJ report that Amazon (AMZN) is preparing to launch a delivery service for businesses.
Newell Brands (NWL 28.78, +0.87): +3.1% following a WSJ report that Starboard is planning a proxy battle to oust NWL's board and CEO.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended the week on a broadly lower note. Japan's Nikkei -2.3%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng -3.1%, China's Shanghai Composite -4.1%, India's Sensex -1.2%.
In economic data:
China's January CPI +0.6% month-over-month (expected 0.7%; last 0.3%); +1.5% year-over-year, as expected (last 1.8%). January PPI +4.3% year-over-year, as expected (last 4.9%)
Japan's Tertiary Industry Activity Index -0.2% month-over-month (expected 0.2%; last 1.1%). M2 Money Stock +3.4% year-over-year (consensus 3.6%; last 3.6%)
Australia's December Home Loans -2.3% month-over-month (expected -0.9%; last 1.6%). December Invest Housing Finance -2.6% month-over-month (last 1.5%)
In news:
The People's Bank of China released roughly CNY2.00 trillion, looking to support cash demand surrounding the Lunar New Year.
In Japan, Koichi Hamada, who advises Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, said that recent volatility in global equity markets could discourage the Bank of Japan from raising rates.
Kim Yo-jong, who is the sister of North Korea's Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un, shook hands with South Korea's President Moon Jae-in at the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. This marks the first time that a member of the Kim family has set foot in South Korea since 1953.

Major European indices trade lower across the board. UK's FTSE -0.7%, France's CAC -1.3%, Germany's DAX -1.5%.
In economic data:
UK's December trade deficit GBP13.58 billion (expected deficit of GBP11.50 billion; last deficit of GBP12.46 billion). December Industrial Production -1.3% month-over-month (expected -0.9%; last 0.3%); 0.0% year-over-year (expected 0.3%; last 2.6%). December Manufacturing Production +0.3% month-over-month, as expected (last 0.2%); +1.4% year-over-year (consensus 1.2%; last 3.8%). December Construction Output +1.6% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; last 0.1%); -0.2% year-over-year (consensus -1.4%; last 0.8%)
Italy's December Industrial Production +1.6% month-over-month (expected 0.8%; last 0.2%); +4.9% year-over-year (consensus 1.9%; last 2.3%)
France's December Industrial Production +0.5% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; last -0.3%)
Swiss January Unemployment Rate 3.0%, as expected (last 3.0%)
In news:
In Italy, Forza Italia's Silvio Berlusconi said that Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni should maintain his post if the March election does not produce a majority.
In the UK, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn expressed interest in keeping Britain in the customs union, which is being opposed by Prime Minister Theresa May.

05:54AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +29.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +46.80.

[BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...21383...-508.20...-2.30%. Hang Seng...29507...-943.90...-3.10%.

[BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...7168.04...-2.70...0.00%. DAX...12261.03...+0.70...+0.00%.

04:35PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks closed sharply lower on Thursday, losing ground for the fifth time in six sessions. The selling was broad-based and indiscriminate as all 11 S&P 500 sectors finished deep in red figures. The losses for the sectors ranged from 1.2% (utilities) to 4.5% (financials).

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 4.2%, the Nasdaq Composite tumbled 3.9%, and the S&P 500 declined 3.8%.

The S&P 500 closed the day below Monday's intraday low, which technicians are apt to view as an adverse development that could invite further selling. All three major indices settled at their session lows following another steep sell off in the final minutes.

Several factors precipitated Thursday's sell-off:

Budding angst surrounding the reported two-year budget agreement in the Senate, which fueled concerns about the level of the budget deficit and national debt. The 10-yr yield hit 2.88% today but settled up just one basis point at 2.85% for the session as the deficit concerns stood in the way of safe-haven flows related to the stock market losses.
The lack of key sector leadership. The financial (-4.5%), information technology (-4.2%), and consumer discretionary (-4.0%) sectors were today's biggest laggards.
Comments from Fed heads, who continue to emphasize a likely path of gradual rate hikes and who have minimized recent market volatility. That understanding provoked concerns about a possible policy mistake by the Fed, which was registered in the underperformance of the cyclical sectors today; and
Following the trend of the tape, which has been biased downward at a time when many participants have been hoping for a rebound. The continued downward bias shook out "weak-handed longs" who have been aiming to profit from a buy-the-dip trade. Their selling presumably exacerbated today's losses.

Trading was volatile, as it has been in each session this week, with the S&P 500 covering 105 points from its high (+0.1%) to its low (-3.8%).

Investors also kept an eye on Washington, where Congressional leaders are trying to pass a budget deal before tonight's spending deadline. The bill up for debate calls for an increase in spending caps and would raise defense and non-defense spending by approximately $160 billion and $130 billion, respectively, over the next two years.

The bill is expected to pass in the Senate as both Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) have voiced their support for the measure, but it's fate in the House is less certain. Still, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) said in a morning interview that he believes the measure will pass.

The latest batch of Q4 earnings didn't have much impact on the broader market on Thursday, but it did prompt some interesting moves in individual stocks.

Most notably, Twitter (TWTR 30.18, +3.27) spiked 12.2% to its best level since mid-2015 after reporting better-than-expected earnings and revenues and achieving GAAP profitability for the first time ever. Meanwhile, Tesla (TSLA 315.23, -29.77) dropped 8.6% despite reporting above-consensus earnings and saying that it's on track to meet its goal of producing 5,000 Model 3 cars per week by the end of June.

Overseas, the major European bourses finished Thursday solidly lower. Germany's DAX dropped 2.6%, while France's CAC and the UK's FTSE lost 2.0% and 1.5%, respectively. The Bank of England unanimously voted to keep its key rate at 0.5% and its asset purchase program at GBP435 billion, as expected, while also laying the groundwork for future rate hikes.

In the Asia-Pacific region, equity indices ended Thursday on a mixed note, with Japan's Nikkei (+1.1%) and Hong Kong's Hang Seng (+0.4%) advancing while China's Shanghai Composite (-1.4%) declined. China reported a much smaller-than-expected trade surplus due to a spike in imports. However, demand associated with the upcoming Lunar New Year may have distorted the figures.

Reviewing Thursday's economic data, which was limited to the weekly Initial Claims report:

The latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 221,000, while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 234,000. Today's tally was below the unrevised prior week count of 230,000. As for continuing claims, they declined to 1.923 million from a revised count of 1.956 million (from 1.953 million).
The key takeaway from the initial claims report is that it provides a basis to keep the Treasury market on edge about future rate hikes.

On Friday, investors will receive just one economic report--December Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.2%)--which will be released at 10:00 AM ET.
Dow: -1032.89… | Nasdaq: -274.82… | S&P: -100.66…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 453/2525. …NYSE Adv/Dec 342/2683.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. Also, thank you for the review of TheStrategyLab performance record...hopefully the links and data will be useful for you. gm

Image Price Action Trading @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm

Image Trade Strategies via Volatility Analysis @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm

Image Rebuttal to Review of TheStrategyLab @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167

Image TheStrategyLab Review @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm

Image Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis. The risk of loss can be substantial. Therefore, you must carefully consider if trading is suitable for you within the context of your financial condition. TheStrategyLab.com is an education and research site. The resources on this site are provided for informational purposes only and should not be used to replace professional educational and professional research because we are retail traders only. TheStrategyLab.com does not accept liability for your use of the website and its resources.

We make no guarantees of success and your level of success is dependent upon other factors including your skill as a trader, knowledge, financial condition, market conditions and other factors. Trading is stressful and you should always consult a doctor in all matters relating to physical and mental health of you & your family because trading can impact beyond your financial condition regardless if you're a profitable or losing trader. Also, you can read our full disclaimer statement @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/Disclaimer.htm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Online user name wrbtrader (more info about me) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=850 & http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no indicators)
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com