TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DOK with info about Brokerage and Trade Platforms
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 pm 

DOK for free chapters.

Attachments:
DOK2-EP-ofthomas.jpg
DOK2-EP-ofthomas.jpg [ 1001.13 KiB | Viewed 824 times ]
DOK-TRADE-OFTHOMAS.jpg
DOK-TRADE-OFTHOMAS.jpg [ 973.84 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]

Post subject: Re: DOK
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for the DOKs.

Also, thanks for showing charts via CQG trader because I've been contemplating for over a year now about getting rid of my backup broker Tradestation and switching to CQG trader as my backup along with possibility one day of becoming my primary trade execution platform ahead of my current use of Xtrader.

The deciding factor will be which one offers better mobile capability. Both of which I've never tried but have plans of becoming more mobile next summer when I'll be traveling...US and Europe.

Regards,
M.A. Perry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:29 am 

both TT and CQG provide mobile capabilities, depends on what mobile means. If you are referring to the phone and iPAD, or if trading on a laptop. In either case, you can use their web based clients. You would just login via your browser (safari, chrome, IE, etc.).

CQG's product offering in the mobile space is CQG M, it is the same across any web browser. In the phone/ipad is a bit condensed, otherwise it is pretty configurable. One thing to keep in mind is that it doesnt support any custom indicators for marking charts or anything like that.

TT is the same way, web based, and as usual.. no indicators that can be coded.. but charts can be marked and you can use ADL as well.

See attached screens... CQGM is a live account, TT.web is a demo account...

The least that I can do to help you make a decision. If you need any other help just reach out, you have my info. I can answer any questions around technical requirements and what you can expect in terms of lag and responsiveness (latency) of the platform when in the browser.. I use them myself since I trade off my laptop when I am at work.

Also, if for you Mobile is the laptop, you can still use CQG QTrader without any issues. However, depending on your connection I would suggest that you always, and I mean always have your Real Time Data Status up on the screen. You dont want to be making decision on lagged data. The RT status will show you how behind you are... specially if in a cell or wireless connection. Ideally, you want to have a VM that you can just RDP into and run the platform there if not using their web counterparts. It will be way more effective and the latency will be considerably less.

Attachments:
2017-07-04_10-16-59.jpg
2017-07-04_10-16-59.jpg [ 334.58 KiB | Viewed 682 times ]
RT Status.jpg
RT Status.jpg [ 100.28 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]
CQG M - 2.13.45003.jpg
CQG M - 2.13.45003.jpg [ 610.42 KiB | Viewed 666 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:18 am 

Since you mentioned moving from TRAD as a backup broker as well, here is some data that might help you with that decision.

Personally, I look at two main variables when picking an FCM...

1) how much excess Net Capital do they have?
2) what are the ratios of that excess net capital when compared to their peers across two variables
a) net requirement to excess
b) excess to segregated assets

In the futures markets, all client funds are "commingled", even if segregated from FCM operations; which means that if I blow up my account and the FCM doesn't auto-liquidate fast enough because their risk management/checks failed, the losses come from all of the seg funds first.

The buffer against all clients covering the risk failures and losses, is the existence of excess net capital, followed by the net capital of the FCM itself. Thus I care to know how much excess is available when compared to net capital and client funds. Greater relevance is placed on the excess to client funds % metric, as that determines IMO the worst risk case scenario.

I personally prefer a min of 50% to net capital and 2% to seg funds. Ideally, 100%+ and 5%+ for what I consider a solid and stable FCM. the alternative with anything less is to ensure that you draw weekly any profits and keep in the account only what you need to trade the size you need a 1.5 SD draw-down (if you ACH fees are high specially)

My personal favorites are below, along with the reasons, and anything with an * I have accounts with ..

- *Interactive Brokers (Institutional level safety, even if they are a pain with their margin calculations, sweep funds from futures to securities account automatically and setup a longer term portfolio)
- *Wedbush (being a client before the name, when they were crossland.)
- PhillipCapital (specially if trading Asian markets)
- FCstone/ADM (if trading aggs, the access to their research is valuable)
- *AMP futures (fast and reliable, but keep only what you need and sweep excess often IMO)

I hope the above helps. good luck.

the data was gathered from the following site:

http://www.cftc.gov/MarketReports/finan ... /index.htm

Attachments:
FCM CFTC consolidated.jpg
FCM CFTC consolidated.jpg [ 626.87 KiB | Viewed 643 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

That's incredible information you've given me and its very educational. I didn't realize some things I should be looking at when trying to make a decision about any broker. Thank you very much.

I'm going to highlight this message discussion by you so that it doesn't get buried underneath new message post by others that post their DOKs.

Once again, thank you very much. I now have a lot of homework to do before I make my final decision and I know this information you've given will be useful to others reading your message post because I "often" get asked by broker recommendations...something I hate giving advice about.

Now I can direct other traders to this message post for them review and research to help them make their decisions.

Regards,
M.A. Perry