TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October 17th Tuesday Trade Results - Profits $400.00
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
TheStrategyLab Reviews: http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm
Price Action Trading: http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
Stocktwits @ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
Twitter @ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
101717-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+400.00.png
101717-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+400.00.png [ 95.68 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini RTY ($RTY_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $400.00 dollars or +8.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $400.00 dollars

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis.

Russell 2000 Emini RTY Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $5.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup (formerly as TF @ The ICE)
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log is archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=2672

All of my trades are posted real-time at the above link for today's archive chat log in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room via the user name wrbtrader for anyone to do a real-time review (you must be a member of the chat room for a real-time review). Although the trades are posted by me and other users of WRB Analysis in real-time...this is not a signal calling chat room nor is this a live trading room that has a head trader telling you what to do. I'm the moderator (I keep the peace between members) and my own live trades are posted within 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation in my broker trade execution platform via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can review today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility...all key concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide even though the free chat room is not design to be an education chat room because the education is only performed at the forums in the private threads.

Quote:
2017 has been the most difficult trading year since I've begun trading +25 years ago because successful trading involves more than just trade methods than any other trading year. This is a key concept many traders have difficulties in understanding. Some blame it on algorithms while I blame it on the inability to adapt, failure to backtest, failure to document trades (real-money or simulator) and underestimating how our environment influences our cognitive decision making while trading...all while trading in low volatility market conditions that statistically have the reputation for difficult trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room nor is it a live trading room with a head trader even though members of the chat room are posting their trades & market analysis in real-time. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of TheStrategyLab free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback about your own trading and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. In addition, we highly recommend that you use the free chat room with a professional trade journal software like tradebench.com, edgewonk.com, tradervue.com, tradingdiarypro.com, stocktickr.com, journalsqrd.com, tradingdiary.pro, mxprofit.com or trademetria.com because they can provide you with the quantitative statistical analysis of your trading. You can then download your results and post them in your private thread at the forum.

Also, you can use TheStrategyLab free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your quantitative statistical analysis, brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post that particular information in your private thread for security reasons. Yet, if you want to post that type of information at another website, blog or chat room...that's your choice.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages, many different mobile apps, many different types of social media software can be used to log in along with IRC being easier to moderate via script codes when trouble makers, spammers and trolls show up. I'm the moderator of the free chat room via the user name wrbtrader. Thus, I keep the peace between members without hesitation in removing problematic traders so that members can peacefully post their market observations, trades, WRB Analysis commentary about the markets without being trolled or harassed.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is not for traders looking for someone to hold their hands and tell them when to buy or sell nor do we allow the free chat room to be used for mentoring because we do not offer a mentoring service. The purpose of TheStrategyLab is for you to post your real-time analysis or trades so that you can review as feedback for any trading day to provide valuable information about the results in your broker statements. If you join the free chat room and then you decide to not post any WRB Analysis about the price action or you decide to not post your trades or you decide to be silent (lurk without saying a word about today's markets)...you're not using the free chat room properly to help improve your trading.

In fact, we do not want silent (lurkers) traders to join the free chat room unless they are actively posting at the forum about their trading after the markets close. Access instructions for the free chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Yet, I'm always backtesting new concepts of WRB Analysis, new trade entry rules, new trade management rules, new position size management rules before application in real money trades (small position size trades) to adapt to changed market conditions prior to large position size trades or sharing the new concepts with fee-base clients...living up to the name of my website. TheStrategyLab.

Also, posted below for you to review are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=331&t=3532 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives for easy review to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
101717-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
101717-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 891.06 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

The Market at 04:30PM ET
Dow: +40.48… | Nasdaq: -0.35… | S&P: +1.72…
NASDAQ Vol: 1.64 bln… Adv: 1019… Dec: 1824…
NYSE Vol: 691.5 mln… Adv: 1245… Dec: 1654…

Moving the Market

Health care heavyweights Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and UnitedHealth (UNH) move higher after reporting better-than-expected earnings

Goldman Sachs (GS) slides despite beating top and bottom line estimates

Sector Watch
Strong: Health Care, Utilities
Weak: Financials, Industrials, Materials, Consumer Staples
04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks ticked higher for the third session in a row on Tuesday as investors digested another round of earnings. The Dow (+0.2%) traded above the 23,000 mark for the first time in history and eventually settled at a new all-time high. The S&P 500 (+0.1%) also eked out a new record close, while the Nasdaq (unch) came up just short, finishing a tick beneath its unchanged mark.

Health care stocks rallied on Tuesday, led by Dow component UnitedHealth (UNH 203.89, +10.69), which surged 5.5% after reporting better-than-expected earnings and raising its earnings guidance slightly. The advance marked the company's largest one-day price gain since it went public 33 years ago and left UNH shares at a new all-time high.

UnitedHealth is one of the priciest--and therefore one of the most influential--components within the price-weighted Dow and had much to do with the industrial average's relatively positive Tuesday performance. Fellow health care heavyweight and Dow component Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 140.79, +4.67) also underpinned the blue-chip average, adding 3.4% on above-consensus earnings and revenues.

Naturally, the S&P 500's health care sector (+1.3%) finished at the top of the day's sector standings, followed from a distance by the utilities (+0.6%), telecom services (+0.2%), and energy (+0.1%) groups. Most of the seven remaining sectors finished in negative territory, but losses were pretty modest. For instance, the financial sector was the weakest group with a loss of 0.6%.

Financial heavyweights Goldman Sachs (GS 236.09, -6.32) and Morgan Stanley (MS 49.12, +0.18) delivered impressive earnings reports on Tuesday, with both companies surpassing top and bottom line estimates, but Goldman dropped 2.6% nonetheless. Morgan Stanley added more than 2.0% in the opening minutes, but eventually trimmed that gain to 0.4% by the closing bell.

Meanwhile, Netflix (NFLX 199.48, -3.20) retreated from record highs after reporting below-consensus earnings on Monday evening. However, the on-demand entertainment provider did add nearly a million more subscribers than expected in the third quarter. NFLX shares ended Tuesday lower by 1.6%.

U.S. Treasuries settled mostly higher on Tuesday, with longer-dated issues exhibiting relative strength. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note dropped one basis point to 2.30% while the 2-yr yield finished unchanged at 1.54%. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index climbed 0.4% to 93.37--closing at a one-week high.

Reviewing Tuesday's batch of economic data, which included September Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization, September Import/Export Prices, and the October NAHB Housing Market Index:

Industrial Production increased 0.3% in September (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), while the August reading was revised to -0.7% (from -0.9%). Capacity Utilization rose to 76.0% (Briefing.com consensus 76.1%) from a revised reading of 75.8% in August (from 76.1%).
The key takeaway from the report is that total production in September was held down by the continued effects of Hurricane Harvey and, to a lesser extent, the effects of Hurricane Irma, which combined lowered industrial production growth by 1/4 percentage point.
Import prices excluding oil rose 0.3% in September after increasing 0.3% in August. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 1.0% in September after rising a revised 0.8% in August (from 0.7%).
The key takeaway is that these price trends will validate the prevailing belief that the Federal Reserve is likely to raise the fed funds rate at its December meeting.
The NAHB Housing Market Index for October rose to 68 (Briefing.com consensus 64) from an unrevised reading of 64 in September.

On Wednesday, investors will receive just two pieces of economic data--the weekly MBA Mortgage Applications Index and September Housing Starts (Briefing.com consensus 1160K). The two reports will cross the wires at 7:00 ET and 8:30 ET, respectively.

As for earnings, Abbott Labs (ABT 55.06, +0.43) and U.S. Bancorp (USB 53.88, -0.38) are the most notable names on Wednesday morning's docket.

Nasdaq Composite +23.0% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +16.4% YTD
S&P 500 +14.3% YTD
Russell 2000 +10.3% YTD

Dow: +40.48… | Nasdaq: -0.35… | S&P: +1.72…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1019/1824. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1245/1654.

03:45PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities end the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down 0.59% at 85.4857
Dollar index is up 0.24% at 93.50.
Nov WTI crude is slightly higher on the day.
Futures settled $0.01 higher to $51.87/barrel.
In other energy, Nov natural gas settled up $0.01 at $2.96/MMBtu
On to metals:
Dec gold lost $16.80 to settle at $1286.20/oz, while Sept silver dropped $0.05 to $17.04/oz
Dec copper lost $0.05 to settle at $3.19/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn settled $0.01 lower at $3.50/bu.
Nov soy settled $0.06 lower at $9.85/bu.
Dec wheat settled $0.01 lower at $4.35/bu.

Dow: +33.66… | Nasdaq: -2.04… | S&P: +1.14…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1076/1816. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1238/1685.

03:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages are mixed moving into the final hour of action; the Dow is up 0.1% while the Nasdaq (-0.1%) and the S&P 500 (unch) show slim losses.

Dow component IBM (IBM 146.54, -0.29) is one of the few notable companies scheduled to report earnings this evening. Investors will be particularly interested in the company's revenue, which has declined for 21 quarters in a row. Abbott Labs (ABT 55.00, +0.38) and U.S. Bancorp (USB 53.83, -0.43) are the most influential names on tomorrow morning's earnings docket.

As for economic data, investors will receive two reports tomorrow--the weekly MBA Mortgage Applications Index and September Housing Starts (Briefing.com consensus 1160K). The two reports will be released at 7:00 ET and 8:30 ET, respectively.

Dow: +24.30… | Nasdaq: -3.88… | S&P: -0.34…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1117/1769. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1223/1675.

02:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices have not changed since the last update.

In Washington, President Trump confirmed that current Fed Chair Janet Yellen is in the running to serve another four year term. However, if he decides to replace Ms. Yellen, his four leading candidates are current Fed Governor Jerome Powell, former Fed Governor Kevin Warsh, Stanford University economist John Taylor, and the presidnet's chief economic advisor Gary Cohn.

Ms. Yellen's term is set to expire on February 3, 2018.

Dow: +17.89… | Nasdaq: -6.00… | S&P: -1.16…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1078/1825. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1182/1704.

01:55PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities have ticked down in recent action, but still remain near their flat lines. The S&P 500 shows a loss of 0.1%.

The consumer discretionary sector (-0.1%) has given back its slim gain and slipped into the red in recent action. Within the group, home-improvement retailers Home Depot (HD 163.64, -0.58) and Lowe's (LOW 80.96, -0.25) both made sharp moves lower amid rumors of a new competitive concept from Amazon (AMZN 1005.40, -0.93), but it's important to note that those rumors have yet to be confirmed. Home Depot and Lowe's currently show losses of 0.3% apiece.

Meanwhile, the financial sector has fallen to the bottom of today's leaderboard, extending its loss to 0.6%. Goldman Sachs (GS 236.30, -6.11) continues to show particular weakness despite reporting better-than-expected earnings and revenues this morning. GS shares are down 2.5%.

Dow: +15.14… | Nasdaq: -5.72… | S&P: -2.34…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1090/1789. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1178/1689.

01:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices remain mixed, having effectively traded sideways for the last two hours.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows that UnitedHealth Group (UNH 204.22, +11.02), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 139.93, +3.81) & Nike (NKE 51.95, +0.58) are outperforming. UnitedHealth & J&J are both advancing, and boosting the Dow following their respective strong quarterly results earlier today.

Conversely, Goldman Sachs (GS 237.02, -5.39) is the worst-performing Dow component as shares see a sell-the-news reaction to this morning's top and bottom-line earnings beat.

For the week, the DJIA is up 0.44%.

Dow: +22.34… | Nasdaq: -2.41… | S&P: -1.47…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1180/1683. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1227/1650.

01:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks opened Tuesday's session flat and continue to trade little changed at midday. The Dow (+0.1%) hovers a tick ahead of the benchmark S&P 500 (unch) after breaching the 23,000 mark for the first time ever earlier in the session. Meanwhile, the tech-heavy Nasdaq (unch) trades slightly lower while the small-cap Russell 2000 (+0.1%) holds a slim gain.

The price-weighted Dow has managed to hit a new all-time high thanks in large part to the positive performances of UnitedHealth (UNH 203.39, +10.19) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 139.62, +3.50). The two health care giants have added 5.3% and 2.6%, respectively, in today's session after beating earnings estimates this morning.

Unsurprisingly, the S&P 500's health care sector (+1.0%) is the strongest of the 11 groups.

A couple of influential financial names--Goldman Sachs (GS 237.43, -4.97) and Morgan Stanley (MS 49.41, +0.45)--also reported earnings this morning, with both companies beating top and bottom line estimates. However, reactions have been mixed; GS shares have slipped 2.1% while MS shares have climbed 0.9%. The financial sector is down 0.3%.

In total, eight of the eleven sectors are trading in the red, but losses have been relatively modest. For instance, the industrial sector is the weakest group and holds a loss of just 0.5%.

The consumer discretionary sector (+0.2%) is one of the few advancing sectors, but one of the group's most notable components--Netflix (NFLX 199.05, -3.63)--shows a sizable loss of 1.8%. The on-demand entertainment provider reported below-consensus earnings on Tuesday evening, but did add more subscribers than expected in the third quarter.

Outside the equity market, U.S. Treasuries have bounced back after starting today's session on the back foot. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note has slipped one basis point to 2.30% while the 2-yr yield is unchanged at 1.54%. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index is up 0.4% at 93.49, which marks its best level in a week.

Reviewing Tuesday's batch of economic data, which included September Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization, September Import/Export Prices, and the October NAHB Housing Market Index:

Industrial Production increased 0.3% in September (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), while the August reading was revised to -0.7% (from -0.9%). Capacity Utilization rose to 76.0% (Briefing.com consensus 76.1%) from a revised reading of 75.8% in August (from 76.1%).
The key takeaway from the report is that total production in September was held down by the continued effects of Hurricane Harvey and, to a lesser extent, the effects of Hurricane Irma, which combined lowered industrial production growth by 1/4 percentage point.
Import prices excluding oil rose 0.3% in September after increasing 0.3% in August. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 1.0% in September after rising a revised 0.8% in August (from 0.7%).
The key takeaway is that these price trends will validate the prevailing belief that the Federal Reserve is likely to raise the fed funds rate at its December meeting.
The NAHB Housing Market Index for October rose to 68 (Briefing.com consensus 64) from an unrevised reading of 64 in September.

Dow: +18.18… | Nasdaq: -3.92… | S&P: -1.50…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1222/1638. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1303/1545.

12:25PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities continue hovering near their recent levels. The benchmark S&P 500 trades flat.

The S&P 500's consumer discretionary sector (+0.2%) is outperforming this afternoon amid broad strength. Restaurants like Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG 327.96, +7.61) and Darden Restaurants (DRI 81.72, +1.52) sport gains of 2.3% and 1.9%, respectively, while retailers like Advance Auto (AAP 88.69, +2.68) and Ulta Beauty (ULTA 199.56, +5.86) have done even better, climbing more than 3.0%.

On a down note, Netflix (NFLX 198.12, -4.55) has pulled back from its all-time high after missing bottom-line estimates; NFLX shares are down 2.3%. However, the company did report a larger-than-expected increase in subscribers--adding nearly a million more than it had anticipated.

Dow: +18.76… | Nasdaq: -2.65… | S&P: -1.09…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1284/1568. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1312/1492.

11:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue hovering near their flat lines moving into the afternoon session.

Transports have struggled to keep pace with the broader market today, evidenced by the Dow Jones Transportation Average, which is down 0.3%. Within the DJTA, railroads are mixed with names like Union Pacific (UNP 110.76, -1.33) and KC Southern (KSU 100.44, -1.46) showing losses of 1.1% and 1.4%, respectively, while CSX (CSX 53.50, +0.66) is higher by 1.2% after reporting in-line earnings this morning.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries have bounced back after starting today's session on the back foot. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note has slipped one basis point to 2.30% while the 2-yr yield is unchanged at 1.54%.

Dow: +18.40… | Nasdaq: -3.20… | S&P: -1.51…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1324/1506. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1262/1532.

11:30AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 has climbed back to its unchanged mark, but the Dow is still today's top-performing index, sporting a gain of 0.2%.

Outside of UnitedHealth (UNH 202.81, +9.50) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 139.26, +3.14), both of which were mentioned in the prior comment, the Dow's strongest component is footwear and athletic apparel giant Nike (NKE 51.87, +0.50), which is up 1.0%.

Conversely, Goldman Sachs (GS 239.91, -3.53) is the Dow's weakest performer, dropping 1.4%, despite reporting better-than-expected earnings and revenues early this morning. General Electric (GE 23.08, -0.28) also holds a loss of more than 1.0% after its target price was lowered to $23 from $27 at Goldman.

The Dow not only leads its peers in today's session, but for the whole month of October, showing a month-to-date gain of 2.6%. For comparison, the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq have added 1.5% and 2.0%, respectively, since the end of September.

Dow: +35.86… | Nasdaq: +1.48… | S&P: +0.09…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1357/1450. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1278/1492.

11:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market has been ticking lower in recent action after opening the session at Monday's closing level. The S&P 500 currently holds a loss of 0.1%.

Health care heavyweights UnitedHealth (UNH 203.56, +10.37) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 139.26, +3.14) have jumped 5.4% and 2.4%, respectively, in today's session after both companies reported better-than-expected earnings this morning. UNH shares are currently on track for their biggest one-day price gain since the company went public 33 years ago.

Unsurprisingly, the S&P 500's health care sector (+1.0%) trades at the top of the day's leaderboard.

As for the ten other sectors, most are trading in negative territory this morning, but losses have been pretty modest thus far; no group has dropped more than 0.5%. The energy sector (-0.3%) has hit a fresh session low in recent action amid a drop in the price of crude oil, which is now down 0.7% at $51.51 per barrel. WTI crude held a modest gain of around 0.3% in pre-market action.

Dow: +24.55… | Nasdaq: -3.19… | S&P: -1.76…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1154/1621. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1049/1698.

10:40AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities begin the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down 0.2% at 85.8209
Dollar index is up 0.43% at 93.72.
Oct WTI crude is higher on the day.
API inventory data will be released at 4:30pm ET
Futures are up $0.09 to $51.96/barrel.
In other energy, Oct natural gas is up $0.047 at $2.993/MMBtu
Metals performed well with precious metals and copper settling higher
Dec gold lost $15.50 and trades at $1287.50/oz, while Sept silver dropped $0.0254 to $17.115/oz
Sept copper gained $0.0285 to $3.2105/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn is flat at $3.505/bu.
Nov soy is down $0.065 at $9.845/bu.
Dec wheat is up $0.0225 at $4.3875/bu.

Dow: +22.49… | Nasdaq: -4.98… | S&P: -1.5…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1235/1510. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1144/1586.

10:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks are still hovering near their flat lines early trading.

Just in, the NAHB Housing Market Index for October rose to 68 (Briefing.com consensus 64) from an unrevised reading of 64 in September.

Dow: +15.68… | Nasdaq: -2.31… | S&P: +0.06…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1174/1465. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1150/1479.

09:45AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices are flat in the opening minutes of today's session.

Most sectors are trading in negative territory this morning, but the influential health care group (+0.4%) shows relative strength following earnings reports from heavyweights UnitedHealth (UNH 199.70, +6.37) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 137.39, +1.27). Both companies beat earnings estimates and now trade higher by 3.9% and 1.2%, respectively.

On the flip side, the top-weighted technology sector (-0.2%) hovers near the bottom of the sector standings. Mega-caps like Apple (AAPL 159.45, -0.44), Microsoft (MSFT 77.34, -0.31), and Alphabet (GOOGL 1008.10, -1.25) show losses between 0.1% and 0.4%.

Dow: +12.69… | Nasdaq: -3.21… | S&P: -0.14…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1251/1317. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1288/1283.

09:17AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -1.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +0.10.

The stock market is on track to open Tuesday's session relatively flat; the S&P 500 futures currently trade one point below fair value.

Investors have received several notable earnings reports since yesterday's closing bell, including reports from Dow components Goldman Sachs (GS 245.99, +3.58), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 135.85, -0.27), and UnitedHealth (UNH 196.80, +3.60). All three companies beat earnings estimates, but only Goldman and UnitedHealth are trading higher in pre-market action, sporting gains of 1.5% and 1.9%, respectively. Meanwhile, Johnson & Johnson shows a modest loss of 0.2%.

Netflix (NFLX 202.00, -0.68) was trading higher earlier this morning, but has since dropped into the red; the company is currently down 0.1% in pre-market trade. Netflix bottom-line estimates on Monday afternoon, but did report a better-than-expected increase in subscribers.

In addition to earnings, market participants have received several pieces of economic data today, including September Import/Export Prices and September Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization:

Today's last economic report--the October NAHB Housing Market Index (Briefing.com consensus 64)--will be released at 10:00 ET.

U.S. Treasuries have been slipping from their flat lines as of late, pushing yields into the green; the benchmark 10-yr yield is up two basis points at 2.33%. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index is up 0.4% at 93.50, which marks a fresh one-week high.

All three major indices finished Monday's session at fresh record highs and enter today's session with month-to-date gains between 1.5% and 2.5%.

08:50AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +0.10.

The S&P 500 futures trade one point below fair value.

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended Tuesday on a mixed note, but Japan's Nikkei (+0.4%) posted its 11th consecutive advance nonetheless. South Korean video game companies displayed strength amid reports China will loosen restrictions related to various types of Korean media. China State Information Center believes that monetary policy should be tightened due to limited room for loosening seen in 2018. The Reserve Bank of Australia's latest meeting minutes noted that any changes to the official cash rate would be dependent on the domestic economy.

In economic data:
New Zealand's Q3 CPI +0.5% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.4%; last 0.0%); +1.9% year-over-year (consensus 1.8%; last 1.7%)
Australia's September New Motor Vehicle Sales -0.5% month-over-month (last 0.0%)
Singapore's September trade surplus SGD5.45 billion (last surplus of SGD5.64 billion). September Non-Oil Exports -11.0% month-over-month (expected -0.1%; last 4.2%); -1.1% year-over-year (consensus 12.7%; last 16.7%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei rose 0.4%. Kobe Steel jumped 3.0% after telling analysts that it is not having funding issues at this time. SUMCO, Hitachi Construction, Shin-Etsu Chemical, Furukawa Electric, Alps Electric, Sumitomo Heavy Industries, DOWA Holdings, and Konica Minolta posted gains between 1.2% and 2.9%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng settled just above its flat line. Want Want China jumped 3.7% while Apple supplier AAC Technologies spiked 2.6%. Energy-related names like PetroChina, CNOOC, and Kunlun Energy posted gains between 0.7% and 0.8%. On the downside, Hang Seng Bank, Bank of East Asia, and ICBC lost between 0.6% and 0.8%.
China's Shanghai Composite shed 0.2%. Shenghe Resources Holding, WanXiang Doneed, China Railway Tielong Container Logistics, and Daheng New Epoch Technology lost between 3.5% and 4.0%.
India's Sensex slipped 0.1%. Financials like AXIS Bank, SBI, and HDFC Bank lost between 0.3% and 1.4% while ICICI Bank shed 0.1%. Tech consultants were mixed as Infosys lost 0.8%, Wipro shed 0.2%, and Tata Consultancy added 0.4%.

Major European indices trade slightly higher with Spain's IBEX (+0.6%) showing relative strength. Spain's 2018 budget plan for the European Union calls for 2018 GDP of 2.3%, down from a previous forecast for growth of 2.6%. European Central Bank Vice President Vitor Constancio said that macroprudential tools need to be taken much more seriously and that there is no general asset price overvaluation in the eurozone. Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said inflation is likely to continue rising after today's data showed the sharpest increase since 2012.

In economic data:
Eurozone September CPI +0.4% month-over-month, as expected (last 0.3%); +1.5% year-over-year, as expected (last 1.5%). September core CPI +0.4% month-over-month (last 0.3%); +1.1% year-over-year, as expected (last 1.1%). ZEW Economic Sentiment 26.7 (expected 34.2; last 31.7)
Germany's October ZEW Economic Sentiment 17.6 (expected 20.0; last 17.0) and ZEW Current Conditions 87.0 (expected 89.0; previous 87.9)
Italy's August trade surplus EUR2.77 billion (expected surplus of EUR4.23 billion; last surplus of EUR6.56 billion)
UK's September CPI +0.3% month-over-month, as expected (last 0.6%); +3.0% year-over-year, as expected (last 2.9%). September core CPI +2.7% year-over-year, as expected (last 2.7%). September RPI +4.1% year-over-year (consensus 4.2%; last 4.1%). September Input PPI +0.4% month-over-month (expected 1.3%: last 2.3%); +8.4% year-over-year (consensus 8.2%; last 8.4%). House Price Index +5.0% year-over-year (consensus 5.4%; last 4.5%)

---Equity Markets---

Spain's IBEX trades up 0.6%. Gamesa, Mediaset, Banco Sabadell, Santander, Bankinter, BBVA, ACS, Repsol, and Iberdrola show gains between 0.3% and 2.8%.
UK's FTSE has added 0.3%. Pearson has surged 7.2% in reaction to an improved outlook while other consumer names like Sainsbury, Morrison Supermarkets, Imperial Brands, and Diageo show gains between 0.6% and 2.5%. On the downside, Merlin Entertainments has plunged 18.6% after issuing weak guidance.
Germany's DAX is up 0.2%. Countercyclical names like E.On and RWE are both up near 1.0% while Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank show respective gains of 0.9% and 1.1%. Drugmakers Bayer and Merck underperform with respective losses of 0.8% and 1.5%.
France's CAC trades higher by 0.1%. Airbus Group has spiked 2.9% after agreeing to take a majority stake in Bombardier's C-Series project. Danone, Total, Renault, and Sanofi show gains between 0.6% and 1.9% while financials like BNP Paribas and Societe Generale are up 0.6% and 0.2%, respectively.

08:33AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +1.40.

The S&P 500 futures trade one point below fair value.

Just in, import prices excluding oil rose 0.3% in September after increasing 0.3% in August. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 1.0% in September after rising a revised 0.8% in August (from 0.7%).

08:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +1.40.

Equity futures are pointing to a slightly lower open for the U.S. equity market this morning as investors digest the latest round of earnings. The stock market registered yet another record-high finish on Monday, but the victory was modest with the major averages adding between 0.2% and 0.4%. Currently, the S&P 500 futures are trading just one point below fair value.

In addition to earnings, investors will receive a sizable dose of economic data this morning. September Import/Export Prices will cross the wires at 8:30 ET, followed by September Industrial Production (Briefing.com consensus 0.2%) and Capacity Utilization (Briefing.com consensus 76.1%) at 9:15 ET and the October NAHB Housing Market Index (Briefing.com consensus 64) at 10:00 ET.

U.S. Treasuries are mostly flat in early action, with the benchmark 10-yr yield unchanged at 2.31%. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index is up 0.3% at 93.40, hitting a one-week high. The greenback has climbed 0.3% and 0.4%, respectively, against the euro (1.1757) and the pound (1.3196), but trades flat against the Japanese yen (112.23).

WTI crude is looking for its sixth win in seven sessions today--a run in which its added 5.6%. The commodity currently trades higher by 0.3% at $52.06/bbl, which marks a fresh October high.

In U.S. corporate news:

Goldman Sachs (GS 245.00, +2.59): +1.1% after beating top and bottom line estimates.
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 138.06, +1.94): +1.4% after reporting better-than-expected earnings and revenues and raising its guidance for fiscal year 2017.
UnitedHealth (UNH 195.30, +2.10): +1.1% after reporting above-consensus earnings and raising its earnings guidance slightly.
Morgan Stanley (MS 49.60, +0.66): +1.4% after beating both top and bottom line estimates.
Netflix (NFLX 205.70, +3.02): +1.5% after a better-than-expected increase in subscribers outweighed below-consensus earnings.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended Tuesday on a mixed note, but Japan's Nikkei (+0.4%) posted its 11th consecutive advance nonetheless. Hong Kong's Hang Seng unch, China's Shanghai Composite -0.2%, India's Sensex -0.1%.
In economic data:
New Zealand's Q3 CPI +0.5% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.4%; last 0.0%); +1.9% year-over-year (consensus 1.8%; last 1.7%)
Australia's September New Motor Vehicle Sales -0.5% month-over-month (last 0.0%)
Singapore's September trade surplus SGD5.45 billion (last surplus of SGD5.64 billion). September Non-Oil Exports -11.0% month-over-month (expected -0.1%; last 4.2%); -1.1% year-over-year (consensus 12.7%; last 16.7%)
In news:
South Korean video game companies displayed strength amid reports China will loosen restrictions related to various types of Korean media.
China State Information Center believes that monetary policy should be tightened due to limited room for loosening seen in 2018.
The Reserve Bank of Australia's latest meeting minutes noted that any changes to the official cash rate would be dependent on the domestic economy.

Major European indices trade near their flat lines with Spain's IBEX (+0.5%) showing relative strength. UK's FTSE +0.2%, Germany's DAX unch, France's CAC unch.
In economic data:
Eurozone September CPI +0.4% month-over-month, as expected (last 0.3%); +1.5% year-over-year, as expected (last 1.5%). September core CPI +0.4% month-over-month (last 0.3%); +1.1% year-over-year, as expected (last 1.1%). ZEW Economic Sentiment 26.7 (expected 34.2; last 31.7)
Germany's October ZEW Economic Sentiment 17.6 (expected 20.0; last 17.0) and ZEW Current Conditions 87.0 (expected 89.0; previous 87.9)
Italy's August trade surplus EUR2.77 billion (expected surplus of EUR4.23 billion; last surplus of EUR6.56 billion)
UK's September CPI +0.3% month-over-month, as expected (last 0.6%); +3.0% year-over-year, as expected (last 2.9%). September core CPI +2.7% year-over-year, as expected (last 2.7%). September RPI +4.1% year-over-year (consensus 4.2%; last 4.1%). September Input PPI +0.4% month-over-month (expected 1.3%: last 2.3%); +8.4% year-over-year (consensus 8.2%; last 8.4%). House Price Index +5.0% year-over-year (consensus 5.4%; last 4.5%)
In news:
Spain's 2018 budget plan for the European Union calls for 2018 GDP of 2.3%, down from a previous forecast for growth of 2.6%.
European Central Bank Vice President Vitor Constancio said that macroprudential tools need to be taken much more seriously and that there is no general asset price overvaluation in the eurozone.
Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said inflation is likely to continue rising after today's data showed the sharpest increase since 2012.

05:53AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei

...21336...+80.60...+0.40%

Hang Seng

...28697.5...+4.70...+0.00%

[BRIEFING.COM] FTSE

...7529.84...+2.90

...+0.00%

DAX

...13008.75...+5.10...+0.00%

04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The U.S. equity market started the week on a positive note as all three major indices--the S&P 500 (+0.2%), the Nasdaq (+0.3%), and the Dow (+0.4%)--finished Monday's session at new record highs. Half way through the month of October, the S&P 500 holds a month-to-date gain of 1.5%.

Financial stocks within the S&P 500 climbed 0.6% on Monday, bouncing back from last Thursday's modest post-earnings decline. JPMorgan Chase (JPM 97.84, +1.98) and Bank of America (BAC 26.24, +0.41) were among the strongest financial components, climbing 2.1% and 1.6%, respectively, followed closely by Goldman Sachs (GS 242.41, +3.88), which will report earnings on Tuesday morning.

Telecoms also retraced a portion of last week's losses in the first session of the week--albeit a relatively small portion. The S&P 500's lightest sector by weight added 0.8% on Monday, but that advance barely dented the group's October loss, which currently sits at 5.0%. AT&T (T 36.17, +0.47) had a good session, climbing 1.3%.

On the flip side, the influential health care sector started the week on the back foot, dropping 0.4%. The group opened in positive territory, but eventually slid into the red after President Trump reiterated his belief that drug prices are "out of control." Allergan (AGN 198.41, -7.11) showed particular weakness, losing 3.5%, after a U.S. judge invalidated patents on the company's dry-eye medication Restasis.

Like health care, transportation stocks also tumbled, sending the Dow Jones Transportation Average lower by 0.8%. Railroad giant CSX (CSX 52.84, +0.01) finished flat, however, ahead of its Tuesday morning earnings release. The S&P 500's industrial sector, which houses transports, added 0.2%.

Retailers underperformed on Monday, evidenced by the 0.7% decline in the SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 39.73, -0.27). High-end department store retailer Nordstrom (JWN 40.40, -2.25) was hit particularly hard after the Nordstrom family announced that it is suspending efforts to take the company private until after the holiday season. JWN shares lost 5.3%.

West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 0.8% to $51.86 per barrel amid a conflict between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in the oil-rich city of Kirkuk. Afternoon reports indicated that the Iraqi army has taken full control of the city. The energy sector, which typically moves in tandem with the price of crude oil, finished higher by 0.2%.

U.S. Treasuries were weak from the start of the session and extended their losses in the afternoon after Bloomberg reported President Trump was impressed with John Taylor's interview for the potential Fed Chair vacancy. Mr. Taylor is an economist at Stanford University and is thought to be more hawkish than some of the other candidates in the running.

The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note climbed three basis points to 2.31% while the 2-year yield jumped four basis points to 1.54%.

Reviewing Monday's economic data, which was limited to the October Empire State Manufacturing Survey:

The Empire Manufacturing Survey for October rose to 30.2 from the prior month's reading of 24.4. The Briefing.com consensus estimate was pegged at 21.0.

On Tuesday, investors will receive several economic reports, including September Import/Export Prices at 8:30 ET, September Industrial Production (Briefing.com consensus 0.2%) and Capacity Utilization (Briefing.com consensus 76.1%) at 9:15 ET, and the October NAHB Housing Market Index (Briefing.com consensus 64) at 10:00 ET.

Also, a host of notable companies in addition to Goldman Sachs and CSX will report their quarterly results on Tuesday morning, including UnitedHealth (UNH 192.20, +0.68), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 136.12, -0.31), and Morgan Stanley (MS 48.94, +0.64), among several others.

Nasdaq Composite +23.1% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +16.2% YTD
S&P 500 +14.2% YTD
Russell 2000 +10.7% YTD

Dow: +85.24… | Nasdaq: +18.20… | S&P: +4.47…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1325/1483. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1451/1462

Image Price Action Trading @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm

Image Trade Strategies via Volatility Analysis @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm

Image Review of TheStrategyLab @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167

Image TheStrategyLab Review @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. Also, thank you for the review of TheStrategyLab performance record...hopefully the links will be useful for you. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Online user name wrbtrader (more info about me) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com