TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October 9th Monday Trade Results - No Trades
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
TheStrategyLab Reviews: http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm
Price Action Trading: http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
Stocktwits @ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
Twitter @ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Quote:
No trades today for me. It was the Thanksgiving holiday here in Québec and the U.S. futures market are usually low volume on that day because Canada is a big player in the futures market. Thus, I just spent the day resting and doing activities with the my kids.

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini RTY ($RTY_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $0.00 dollars

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis.

Russell 2000 Emini RTY Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $5.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup (formerly as TF @ The ICE)
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log is archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=2666

All of my trades are posted real-time at the above link for today's archive chat log in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room via the user name wrbtrader for anyone to do a real-time review. Although the trades are posted by me and other users of WRB Analysis...this is not a signal calling chat room. My own live trades are posted within 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can review today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility even though the free chat room is not design to be an education chat room because the education is only performed at the forums in the private threads.

Quote:
2017 has been the most difficult trading year since I've begun trading +20 years ago because successful trading involves more than just trade methods than any other trading year. This is a key concept many traders have difficulties in understanding. Some blame it on algorithms while I blame it on the inability to adapt, failure to backtest, failure to document trades (real-time or simulator) and underestimating how our environment influences our cognitive decision making while trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of TheStrategyLab free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback about your own trading and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. In addition, we highly recommend that you use the free chat room with a professional trade journal software like tradebench.com, edgewonk.com, tradervue.com, tradingdiarypro.com, stocktickr.com, journalsqrd.com, tradingdiary.pro, mxprofit.com or trademetria.com because they can provide you with the quantitative statistical analysis of your trading. You can then download your results and post them in your private thread at the forum.

Also, you can use TheStrategyLab free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your quantitative statistical analysis, brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post that particular information in your private thread for security reasons. Yet, if you want to post that type of information at another website, blog or chat room...that's your choice.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages, many different mobile apps, many different types of social media software can be used to log in along with IRC being easier to moderate via script codes when trolls show up. I'm the moderator of the free chat room via the user name wrbtrader. Thus, I keep the peace between members without hesitation in removing trouble makers so that members can peacefully post their market observations, trades, WRB Analysis commentary about the markets without being trolled.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is not for traders looking for someone to hold their hands and tell them when to buy or sell nor do we allow the free chat room to be used for mentoring because we do not offer a mentoring service. The purpose of TheStrategyLab is for you to post your real-time analysis or trades so that you can review as feedback for any trading day to provide valuable information about the results in your broker statements. If you join the free chat room and then you decide to not post any WRB Analysis about the price action or you decide to not post your trades or you decide to be silent (lurk without saying a word about today's markets)...you're not using the free chat room properly to help improve your trading.

In fact, we do not want silent (lurkers) traders to join the free chat room unless they are actively posting at the forum about their trading after the markets close. Access instructions for the free chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Yet, I'm always backtesting new concepts of WRB Analysis, new trade entry rules, new trade management rules, new position size management rules before application in real money trades (small position size trades) to adapt to changed market conditions prior to large position size trades or sharing the new concepts with fee-base clients...living up to the name of my website. TheStrategyLab.

Also, posted below for you to review are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=331&t=3532 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives for easy review to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
100917-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
100917-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 262 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

The Market at 04:30PM ET
Dow: -12.60… | Nasdaq: -10.45… | S&P: -4.60…
NASDAQ Vol: 1.49 bln… Adv: 1116… Dec: 1692…
NYSE Vol: 620.1 mln… Adv: 1268… Dec: 1622…

Moving the Market

Investors lack conviction as stocks hover at all-time highs

Top-weighted technology sector outperforms, upholds broader market

Sector Watch
Strong: Energy, Technology, Utilities, Real Estate
Weak: Financials, Industrials, Health Care, Telecom Services
04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities opened the week on the back foot, ticking slightly below the record highs they posted at the tail end of last week. The Nasdaq (-0.2%) and the Dow (-0.1%) finished roughly in line with the S&P 500 (-0.2%) while small caps underperformed, sending the Russell 2000 lower by 0.4%.

The S&P 500's technology sector (+0.2%) got off to a relatively solid start on Monday, but unraveled a bit in the afternoon amid a modest sell off in the broader market. Still, the group managed to eke out a slim victory, something that only four other sectors--energy (+0.3%), utilities (+0.1%), real estate (+0.1%), and materials (unch)--were able to do.

On the flip side, the health care sector (-0.7%) finished at the bottom of the sector standings as just about all of its components started the week on the back foot. Medtronic (MDT 76.93, -2.88) showed particular weakness, dropping 3.6%, after the company said on Friday evening that Hurricane Maria could negatively impact its fiscal second quarter results by $250 million.

The financial group (-0.4%) also tumbled on Monday ahead of the start of earnings season, which will unofficially kick off later this week when several financial heavyweights, including JPMorgan Chase (JPM 96.41, -0.51), Citigroup (C 75.39, -0.25), Bank of America (BAC 25.85, -0.36), and Wells Fargo (WFC 55.14, -0.44), release their quarterly results.

According to FactSet, S&P 500 earnings are expected to increase just 2.8%, down from an estimated growth rate of 7.5% on June 30. Insurance claims associated with hurricane-related damages have been the biggest driver of the downward revision. As a result, the financial sector--which houses insurers--is projected to report the widest year-over-year decline in earnings.

Meanwhile, the energy group is projected to deliver year-over-year growth in excess of 100%, which is by far the largest anticipated gain among the 11 sectors.

Within the Dow, General Electric (GE 23.43, -0.96) plunged 3.9% on Monday after announcing over the weekend that several top executives will be leaving the company, including longtime CFO Jeff Bornstein. The changes are a part of new CEO John Flannery's attempt to reboot the company's business. GE shares have dropped 25.9% this year.

On a positive note, Wal-Mart (WMT 80.53, +1.53) was the Dow's top performer, climbing 1.9%, following a positive mention in this weekend's Barron's magazine and news that the company is launching a new return service that will allow customers to return items in about 30 seconds.

The bond market was closed in observance of Columbus Day, leading to lighter-than-usual volume on the New York Stock Exchange. Only 620 million shares changed hands at the NYSE floor, a ways below the 50-day simple moving average of 805 million.

Investors did not receive any economic data on Monday.

Tuesday's lone economic release--the September NFIB Small Business Optimism Index--will cross the wires at 7:00 ET.

Dow: -12.60… | Nasdaq: -10.45… | S&P: -4.60…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1116/1692. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1268/1622.

03:45PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities end the day higher:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently up 0.17% at 84.0669
Dollar index is down 0.17% at 93.64.
Nov WTI crude is higher on the day.
Futures settled $0.29 higher at $49.62/barrel.
In other energy, Nov natural gas settled down $0.02 at $2.84/MMBtu
On to metals:
Dec gold gained $10.10 to settle at $1285.10/oz, while Sept silver gained $0.18 to $16.96/oz
Dec copper settled flat at $3.03/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn settled $0.02 lower at $3.48/bu.
Nov soy settled $0.06 lower at $9.67/bu.
Dec wheat settled $0.07 lower at $4.36/bu.

Dow: -1.72… | Nasdaq: -13.52… | S&P: -6.17…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1181/1702. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1247/1636.

02:55PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices are trading just a step below their unchanged marks going into the final hour of action.

Only four sectors trade in positive territory--energy (+0.3%), technology (+0.4%), utilities (+0.2%), and real estate (+0.1%)--while seven trade in the red--financials (-0.4%), consumer discretionary (-0.3%), industrials (-0.4%), materials (-0.1%), health care (-0.6%), consumer staples (-0.1%), and telecom services (-0.4%).

The bond market is closed in observance of Columbus Day, leading to lighter-than-usual volume on the New York Stock Exchange.

Dow: -13.99… | Nasdaq: -5.43… | S&P: -3.57…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1206/1664. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1344/1545.

02:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages haven't changed since the last update.

Earnings season will unofficially kick off on Thursday morning with the release of quarterly reports from both JPMorgan Chase (JPM 96.39, -0.53) and Citigroup (C 75.38, -0.26). According to FactSet, S&P 500 earnings are expected to increase just 2.8%, down from an estimated growth rate of 7.5% on June 30. The biggest driver of the downward revision is hurricane-related insurance claims, which have weighed heavily on the financial sector.

Nonetheless, the financial sector has rallied in recent weeks amid a surge in Treasury yields and signs of tax reform progress in Washington, D.C. Even with today's modest decline (-0.4%), the financial sector has added over 10.0% since September 7.

Dow: -10.65… | Nasdaq: -2.78… | S&P: -2.61…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1210/1671. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1400/1485.

02:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue to hover slightly below their unchanged marks; the S&P 500 is down 0.1%.

Transports are trading just a tick behind the broader market this afternoon, evidenced by the Dow Jones Transportation Average, which is down 0.2%. Similarly, small caps are also struggling today, sending the Russell 2000 lower by 0.4%. The DJTA and the Russell 2000 are seen as leading indicators, meaning they tend to do well (or poorly) when the economic outlook for the U.S. is seen as favorable (or unfavorable).

Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index is down 0.2% at 93.48. The pond has shown particular strength against the greenback today, climbing 0.7% to 1.3158. The euro has climbed 0.2% against the dollar to 1.1753 while the yen trades flat at 112.67.

Dow: -5.00… | Nasdaq: -2.22… | S&P: -1.63…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1213/1647. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1418/1454.

01:35PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices are resting just below base levels in today's uneventful start to the trading week.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows that General Electric (GE 23.46, -0.93), Nike (NKE 51.65, -0.77), & Goldman Sachs (GS 242.54, -3.48) are underperforming. GE is at fresh two-year lows after the industrial giant announced a series of management changes late Friday, including that long-time executive Jeffrey S. Bornstein would be stepping down as CFO. Additionally, the company this morning announced that it had named Trian Fund Management's Ed Garden to the Board. Elsewhere, Goldman is pulling back after being downgraded to Neutral from Outperform by analysts at Credit Suisse.

Conversely, Wal-Mart (WMT 81.03, +2.03) is the best-performing Dow component following a positive mention in this weekend's Barron's magazine.

After reaching new all-time highs last week, the DJIA is currently up 15.24% this year.

Dow: -2.12… | Nasdaq: -1.94… | S&P: -2.37…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1202/1646. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1382/1474.

01:05PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices are little changed at midday following a range-bound start to Monday's session. The bond market is closed in observance of Columbus Day, leading to lighter-than-usual volume on the New York Stock Exchange. The S&P 500 is currently down 0.1%.

A relatively quiet weekend has given investors little reason to pull stocks from the record highs they posted last week. At the same time, there seems to be little reason to push stocks forward ahead of the start of earnings season, which informally kicks off on Thursday with releases from JPMorgan Chase (JPM 96.15, -0.77) and Citigroup (C 75.19, -0.44).

The heavily-weighted financial sector (-0.5%) is underperforming in today's session, giving back a small portion of its impressive four-week rally; the sector climbed 10.6% from September 7 to Friday's close. The financial space is one of only four groups projected to report a decline in earnings for the third quarter, mostly thanks to hurricane-related insurance claims.

Only the health care sector (-0.7%) holds a wider decline than the financial space while the remaining laggards hold losses of no more than 0.4%.

Conversely, the top-weighted technology sector (+0.4%) trades at the top of the sector standings, helping to keep the broader market's loss in check. Mega-cap tech names like Apple (AAPL 156.09, +0.77), Microsoft (MSFT 76.49, +0.49), Facebook (FB 174.46, +2.25), and Alphabet (GOOGL 997.87, +4.23) have all contributed to the positive performance.

Industrial heavyweight General Electric (GE 23.51, -0.88) is the worst-performing component within the Dow Jones Industrial Average, dropping 3.6%, following a Friday announcement that several top executives will be leaving the company, including longtime CFO Jeff Bornstein. The changes are a part of new CEO John Flannery's attempt to reboot the company's business.

Meanwhile, Wal-Mart (WMT 80.96, +1.96) is the best-performing Dow component, adding 2.5%. The company's positive performance follows news that it is working to simplify its return process in an effort to better compete with online retail giant Amazon (AMZN 992.00, +2.42).

Investors did not receive any economic data today.

Dow: -7.03… | Nasdaq: -1.04… | S&P: -1.98…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1204/1656. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1363/1478.

12:25PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices continue drifting near their unchanged marks.

Retailers are struggling today, evidenced by the SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 40.99, -0.66), which is down 1.6%. Kohl's (KSS 42.86, -0.48) was trading solidly higher at the opening bell after Telsey Advisory Group upgraded KSS shares to 'Outperform' from 'Market Perform,' but plunged into the red shortly thereafter. KSS shares are currently down 0.9%.

Despite retailers' negative performance, the consumer discretionary space (-0.1%) hovers roughly in line with the broader market. The sector's top component by market cap--Amazon (AMZN 992.66, +3.10)--is up 0.3% and on track to settle in the green for the fourth session in a row.

Dow: -5.12… | Nasdaq: +1.32… | S&P: -1.61…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1260/1582. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1354/1469`.

11:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities have ticked up slightly in recent action, placing the S&P 500 back at its unchanged mark. The tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.1%) shows relative strength.

The S&P 500's heavily-weighted financial sector (-0.4%) has slipped a bit today, giving back a small portion of its impressive four-week rally; the sector climbed 10.6% from September 7 to Friday's close.

Several financial heavyweights will report their quarterly earnings later this week, including JPMorgan Chase (JPM 96.42, -0.49), Citigroup (C 75.23, -0.41), Bank of America (BAC 26.00, -0.21), and Wells Fargo (WFC 55.28, -0.30). Chase and Citigroup will report on Thursday while Bank of America and Wells Fargo will report on Friday.

Meanwhile, gold is up 0.7% at $1,283.47/ozt after hitting a two-month low on Thursday. The yellow metal has declined for four weeks in a row, moving in opposite direction of the stock market, which currently hovers at an all-time high.

Dow: +11.71… | Nasdaq: +5.66… | S&P: -0.50…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1318/1512. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1388/1424.

11:25AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have not changed since the last update.

Drug retailers like CVS Health (CVS 74.33, -2.58) and Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 71.09, -2.16) are down sharply this morning, losing 3.4% and 3.0%, respectively. The two companies also faced heavy selling pressure on Friday after Morgan Stanley downgraded WBA shares to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight' and following a CNBC report that Amazon (AMZN 991.81, +2.28) is on the brink of deciding whether or not it will sell prescription drugs online.

However, the positive performances of tobacco heavyweights Philip Morris (PM 113.84, +2.57) and Altria (MO 63.68, +1.13) and retail giant Wal-Mart (WMT 80.37, +1.37) have helped keep the S&P 500's consumer staples sector (unch) a tick ahead of the broader market.

Dow: +13.45… | Nasdaq: +3.01… | S&P: -1.01…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1256/1544. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1312/1478.

10:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices are still hovering near their unchanged marks this morning, with the S&P 500 (-0.1%) showing relative weakness.

Four sectors are currently trading in the green--technology (+0.3%), energy (+0.3%), utilities (+0.3%), and real estate (+0.1%)--while seven are trading in the red--telecom services (unch), consumer staples (unch), consumer discretionary (-0.1%), materials (-0.1%), industrials (-0.3%), financials (-0.4%), and health care (-0.6%).

Within the Dow, General Electric (GE 23.69, -0.71) is the weakest performer, dropping 2.9%, while Wal-Mart (WMT 79.99, +1.00) is the strongest, climbing 1.3%.

As a reminder, the U.S. Treasury market is closed in observance of Columbus Day.

Dow: -1.38… | Nasdaq: -2.19… | S&P: -2.31…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1253/1506. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1258/1476.

10:30AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities begin the day slightly higher:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently up 0.1% at 84.0057
Dollar index is down 0.05% at 93.75.
Nov WTI crude is a bit higher this morning.
Futures are $0.10 higher to $49.39/barrel.
In other energy, Nov natural gas is down $0.015 at $2.848/MMBtu
Metals:
Dec gold has gained $7.70 and trades at $1282.60/oz, while Dec silver has gained $0.14 to $16.93/oz
Dec copper has lost $0.003 to $3.026/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn is down $0.0125 at $3.4875/bu.
Nov soy is up $0.0075 at $9.73/bu.
Dec wheat is down $0.045 at $4.39/bu.

Dow: -1.72… | Nasdaq: +3.43… | S&P: -1.98…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1253/1474. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1258/1438.

10:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks have slipped from their opening levels, pushing the S&P 500 (-0.1%) into negative territory.

The influential health care space hovers near the bottom of the sector standings this morning with a loss of 0.4%. Medical device company Medtronic (MDT 77.33, -2.49) is one of the weakest components within the health care sector, down 3.2%, after Wells Fargo downgraded MDT shares to 'Market Perform' from 'Outperform' earlier this morning.

On the flip side, the top-weighted technology space (+0.2%) shows relative strength. Mega-cap names like Apple (AAPL 156.12, +0.91) and Facebook (FB 173.32, +1.09) hold gains of 0.5% apiece while chipmakers also outperform, pushing the PHLX Semiconductor Index higher by 0.4%.

Dow: -5.66… | Nasdaq: +4.92… | S&P: -1.55…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1231/1404. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1313/1313.

09:40AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices are trading slightly higher in the opening minutes of today's session; the S&P 500 is up 0.1%.

Most of the 11 sectors are trading in the green, but gains have been modest thus far. The energy sector (+0.4%) is currently the top performer, helped by a positive performance from crude oil, which is up 0.7% at $49.65/bbl. On the flip side, the telecom services sector (-0.3%) trades at the bottom of the leaderboard.

At current levels, the S&P 500 trades about one point below its all-time intraday high (2,552.51).

Dow: +24.77… | Nasdaq: +3.33… | S&P: +1.73…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1504/1042. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1683/835.

09:10AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +2.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +10.50.

The stock market is on track to open today's session slightly above where it closed on Friday; the S&P 500 futures trade two points, or 0.1%, above fair value.

Corporate news has been limited this morning, with just a handful of notable upgrades/downgrades. Dow component Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 134.39, +1.17) is up 0.9% in pre-market action after Wells Fargo upgraded the company's shares to 'Outperform' from 'Market Perform' earlier this morning.

Conversely, Medtronic (MDT 77.48, -2.33) is down 2.9% after Wells Fargo downgraded MDT shares to 'Market Perform' from 'Outperform.'

The U.S. Treasury market is closed in observance of Columbus Day. The benchmark 10-yr yield settled Friday's session at 2.37%.

Meanwhile, WTI crude is up 0.4% at $49.51/bbl, the U.S. Dollar Index is down 0.1% at 93.56, and gold is up 0.7% at 1,283.13/ozt.

Investors will not receive any economic data today.

08:50AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +2.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +10.90.

The S&P 500 futures trade two points, or 0.1%, above fair value.

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended Monday's session on a mixed note. China's Shanghai Composite rallied upon returning from a week-long holiday while markets in South Korea and Taiwan remained closed for one more session. Japan's Nikkei was closed for Health-Sports Day. The People's Bank of China reportedly gauged demand for medium-term facility loans that are expected to be issued on Friday.

In economic data:
China's Caixin Services PMI 50.6 (expected 53.1; last 52.7). China's FX Reserves $3.11 trillion (expected $3.10 trillion; last $3.09 trillion)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei was closed.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 0.5% with more than half of its components ending lower. Gaming names like Galaxy Entertainment and Sands China lost 3.5% and 2.8%, respectively, while Apple supplier AAC Technologies surrendered 2.7%. Energy-related names like Kunlun Energy, CNOOC, and PetroChina posted losses between 0.6% and 1.5%.
China's Shanghai Composite gained 0.8%. Shenzhen Kingdom Technology, Guangdong Mingzhu Group, Tongwei, Yonyou Network Technology, Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics, and Wuhan Hanshang Group climbed between 6.4% and 9.9%.
India's Sensex added 0.1%. Coal India jumped 1.8% while Hindustan Unilever and Dr. Reddy's Labs both gained near 1.4%. Tech consultants like Infosys, Tata Consultancy, and Wipro advanced between 0.1% and 0.5%.

Major European indices trade little changed while Spain's IBEX (+0.6%) outperforms. The Catalan parliament did not declare independence today, but reports indicate that a declaration of independence is expected to be made tomorrow. Reports from Germany indicate Angela Merkel's CSU is nearing a coalition agreement after Mrs. Merkel agreed to cap annual migrant and refugee arrivals at 200,000. British Prime Minister Theresa May said her country will not make any more Brexit-related concessions until a compromise on trade and transition talks is reached. Standard & Poor's affirmed France's 'AA' rating with a Stable outlook while Moody's affirmed Italy's 'Baa2' rating with a Negative outlook.

In economic data:
Eurozone October Sentix Investor Confidence 29.7 (expected 28.5; last 28.2)
Germany's August Industrial Production +2.6% month-over-month (expected 0.7%; last -0.1%)

---Equity Markets---

UK's FTSE is down 0.3%. Consumer names and select miners are among the laggards. Anglo American, Rio Tinto, and Glencore show losses between 0.7% and 1.7% while Paddy Power, Dixons Carphone, Tesco, Taylor Wimpey, Barratt Developments, Kingfisher, Unilever, Next, and Persimmon are down between 0.7% and 1.4%.
France's CAC is lower by 0.1%. Airbus is down 2.2% after the company's CEO warned about the company's outlook. Financials like Credit Agricole, BNP Paribas, and Societe Generale show losses between 0.3% and 0.9%. On the upside, consumer names like Kering, Danone, Pernod Ricard, and Louis Vuitton are up between 0.4% and 2.0%.
Germany's DAX is little changed. Deutsche Bank trades lower by 1.4% while utilities RWE and E.On are both up near 2.0%. Automakers are mixed with BMW down 0.3% and Volkswagen up 0.2%.
Spain's IBEX is up 0.6%. Acciona, Caixabank, Banco Sabadell, Iberdrola, Mediaset, Telefonica, Bankia, Bankinter, and ACS show gains between 0.4% and 2.3%.

08:29AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +2.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +11.60.

The S&P 500 futures trade three points, or 0.1%, above fair value.

Market participants increased their rate-hike expectations last week following a noisy Employment Situation Report, which was noticeably affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. The report showed an increase of 0.5% in average hourly earnings (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), lifting the year-over-year growth rate to 2.9%--the highest level seen since the financial crisis.

Coming into today's session, the CME FedWatch Tool places the chances of a December rate hike at 93.1%, up from 77.9% a week ago.

08:03AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +3.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +8.60.

The major U.S. indices hit new record highs once again last week and ended Friday's session with weekly gains between 1.2% and 1.7%. Equity futures are pointing to a slightly higher open for Monday's session following a relatively quiet weekend; the S&P 500 futures are trading three points, or 0.1%, above fair value.

Eight of the S&P 500's eleven sectors finished with gains last week, with the heavily-weighted financial sector being perhaps the most notable advancer. The group added 1.9% and now trades 10.6% above where it settled on September 7. For comparison, the S&P 500 has added 3.4% over the same period of time.

On the flip side, the energy, telecom services, and consumer staples groups lagged last week, finishing with losses between 0.3% and 1.1%.

Investors will not receive any economic data today, but they will receive a handful of influential economic reports later in the week; the September Producer Price Index (Briefing.com consensus +0.4%) will be released on Thursday while both the September Consumer Price Index (Briefing.com consensus +0.6%) and the September Retail Sales Report (Briefing.com consensus 1.5%) will be released on Friday.

On the earnings front, several financial heavyweights will deliver their quarterly results this week, including JPMorgan Chase (JPM 96.90, -0.02), Citigroup (C 75.75, +0.11), Bank of America (BAC 26.28, +0.07), and Wells Fargo (WFC 55.58, 0.00). Chase and Citigroup will report on Thursday while Bank of America and Wells Fargo will report on Friday.

The U.S. Treasury market will be closed today in observance of Columbus Day. The benchmark 10-yr yield settled Friday at 2.37%.

In U.S. corporate news:

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 134.24, +1.02): +0.8% after Wells Fargo upgraded JNJ shares to 'Outperform' from 'Market Perform'.
Medtronic (MDT 77.50, -2.31): -2.9% after Wells Fargo downgraded MDT shares to 'Market Perform' from 'Outperform'.
Activision Blizzard (ATVI 61.60, -1.65): -2.6% after Cowen downgraded ATVI shares to 'Market Perform'.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended Monday's session on a mixed note. Hong Kong's Hang Seng -0.5%, China's Shanghai Composite +0.8%, India's Sensex +0.1%. Japan's Nikkei was closed for Health-Sports Day.
In economic data:
China's Caixin Services PMI 50.6 (expected 53.1; last 52.7). China's FX Reserves $3.11 trillion (expected $3.10 trillion; last $3.09 trillion)
In news:
The People's Bank of China reportedly gauged demand for medium-term facility loans that are expected to be issued on Friday.

Major European indices trade little changed while Spain's IBEX (+0.6%) outperforms. UK's FTSE -0.3%, France's CAC unch, Germany's DAX unch.
In economic data:
Eurozone October Sentix Investor Confidence 29.7 (expected 28.5; last 28.2)
Germany's August Industrial Production +2.6% month-over-month (expected 0.7%; last -0.1%)
In news:
The Catalan parliament did not declare independence today, but reports indicate that a declaration of independence is expected to be made tomorrow.
Reports from Germany indicate Angela Merkel's CSU is nearing a coalition agreement after Mrs. Merkel agreed to cap annual migrant and refugee arrivals at 200,000.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said her country will not make any more Brexit-related concessions until a compromise on trade and transition talks is reached.
Standard & Poor's affirmed France's 'AA' rating with a Stable outlook while Moody's affirmed Italy's 'Baa2' rating with a Negative outlook.

05:45AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +1.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +6.00.

[BRIEFING.COM] Canada...Nikkei...Holiday....

Hang Seng...28,326.59...-131.50...-0.50%

[BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...7,505.87...-17.00...-0.20%

DAX...12,957.11...+1.20...0.00

04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks ended the week on a down note, giving back a small portion of their weekly gains. Losses were modest, however, with the S&P 500 (-0.1%) and the Dow (unch) settling just a tick below their unchanged marks. The tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.1%) eked out a small victory, settling at yet another record high. For the week, the S&P 500 added 1.2%.

The market took the September jobs report with a grain of salt due to the effects of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. The report showed that employment in food services and drinking places declined by 105,000--taking a toll on the nonfarm payrolls figure, which decreased by 33,000 (Briefing.com consensus +75K).

Average hourly earnings, which have been slow to pick up despite a tightening of the labor market, soundly beat expectations though, showing an increase of 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%). This figure was also likely affected by the hurricanes, but that didn't stop the market from adjusting its rate-hike expectations.

The CME FedWatch Tool currently places the chances of a December rate hike at 93.1%, up from 77.5% on Thursday.

U.S. Treasuries ended the session in negative territory, with shorter-dated issues showing relative weakness; the yield on the 2-yr Treasury note jumped four basis points to 1.53% while the benchmark 10-yr yield climbed two basis points to 2.37%. The U.S. Dollar Index slipped 0.1% to 93.64.

Most of the S&P 500's eleven sectors finished in the red, but some of the heaviest spaces by weight--including technology (+0.3%), financials (unch), and consumer discretionary (+0.2%)--put together relatively solid performances, helping keep the broader market's loss in check.

The tech group climbed 0.3%, thanks in large part to mega-cap names like Facebook (FB 172.23, +0.99) and Alphabet (GOOGL 993.64, +8.45), which added 0.6% and 0.9%, respectively. Chipmakers were also strong on Friday, sending the PHLX Semiconductor Index higher by 0.5%.

Meanwhile, influential names like Amazon (AMZN 989.58, +8.73), Netflix (NFLX 198.02, +3.63), and McDonald's (MCD 159.60, +0.80) helped carry the consumer discretionary space (+0.2%) to victory, settling with gains between 0.5% and 1.9%. NFLX shares had a solid week, adding 9.2%.

On the flip side, the consumer staples space (-1.0%) underperformed with retail heavyweight Costco (COST 157.09, -9.98) dropping 6.0%, despite beating both top and bottom line estimates. Retail pharmacy names also tumbled after Morgan Stanley downgraded Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 73.20, -3.75) to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight'; WBA shares lost 4.9%.

The energy sector (-0.8%) also struggled as the price of WTI crude dropped 2.9% to $49.33/bbl amid concerns of Tropical Storm Nate's potential impact on refineries around the Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Nate is projected to hit the Gulf Coast this weekend as a hurricane.

Reviewing Friday's economic data, which included the September Employment Situation Report, the August Wholesale Inventories Report, and the August Consumer Credit Report:

September Employment Situation
September nonfarm payrolls decreased by 33,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 75,000. The prior month's increase was revised to 169,000 from 156,000.
Nonfarm private payrolls declined by 40,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 98,000. The previous month's increase was revised to 164,000 from 165,000.
Average hourly earnings increased 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), while the previous month's reading was revised to +0.2% (from +0.1%).
The average workweek was reported at 34.4 (Briefing.com consensus 34.3). The previous month's reading was left unrevised at 34.4.
The unemployment rate fell to 4.2% (Briefing.com consensus 4.4%) from 4.4% in the previous month.
The hurricane-related noise of the September employment resonated in the headline payroll numbers, yet the most important takeaway from the report is that wage growth picked up nicely in September and should solidify the case for another rate hike in December.
August Wholesale Inventories
August Wholesale Inventories increased 0.9% (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%). The prior month's reading was left unrevised at +0.6%.
The key takeaway from the report is that the inventory build will be a positive component for Q3 GDP growth forecasts.
August Consumer Credit
The Consumer Credit report for August showed an increase of $13.1 billion while the Briefing.com consensus expected growth of $16.0 billion. The prior month's credit growth was revised to $17.7 billion from $18.5 billion.

Investors will not receive any economic data on Monday.

Nasdaq Composite +22.4% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +15.2% YTD
S&P 500 +13.9% YTD
Russell 2000 +11.3% YTD

Week In Review: Autumn's Still Looking Pretty Green

Stocks started October on the front foot, climbing to new record highs once again, despite the devastating shooting in Las Vegas on Sunday evening, which claimed the lives of more than 50 people and injured over 500 others. The major indices all settled the week in the green with the Dow, the Nasdaq, and the S&P 500 adding 1.7%, 1.5%, and 1.2%, respectively.

This week's bullish bias had its roots in last week's run to record highs, which was sparked by the release of the GOP's latest tax reform outline. The House kept the ball rolling this week by passing a budget that slashes government spending in anticipation of decreased tax revenue. The GOP still has a long way to go, but the market liked the progress.

Excited by the idea of a tax overhaul, the S&P 500's financial sector climbed 1.9% this week to finish comfortably ahead of the broader market. The financial sector has added 10.6% since closing at a three month low on September 7 and now trades just a tick behind the benchmark index for the year.

Automakers were strong this week after reporting largely solid U.S. sales figures for the month of September, which were helped by the replacement of vehicles lost to Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. General Motors (GM) showed particular strength, climbing 11.3%, after reporting a year-over-year increase of 12.0%.

Netflix (NFLX) also had a good showing, hitting a fresh all-time high, after UBS raised its target price to $225 from $190 and following news that the company will raise the price of its standard and premium video-streaming services. NFLX shares settled with a gain of 9.2%.

Equities did end the week on a down note, however, following a noisy Employment Situation Report for September. The market took the report with a grain of salt since it was tainted by the impacts of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma, but it didn't do much to alleviate rate-hike concerns nonetheless, showing an increase of 0.5% in average hourly earnings.

As a reminder, average hourly earnings growth, which is positively correlated with inflation, has been tepid in recent months, putting the Fed's rate-hike forecast into question. However, following Friday's jobs report, the market now strongly believes the U.S. central bank will hike rates one more time this year, thereby achieving its goal of three rate hikes in 2017.

The fed funds futures market places the chances of a December rate hike at 93.1%, up from last week's 77.9%.

It's also worth pointing out that the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) settled at an all-time low (9.19) on Thursday, signaling the market's belief that volatility will remain subdued in the short term. The previous record low (9.31) was recorded nearly 24 years ago in December 1993.

Dow: -1.72… | Nasdaq: +4.82… | S&P: -2.74…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1319/1383. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1058/1846.

Image Price Action Trading @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm

Image Trade Strategies via Volatility Analysis @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm

Image Review of TheStrategyLab @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167

Image TheStrategyLab Review @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. Also, thank you for the review of TheStrategyLab performance record...hopefully the links will be useful for you. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Online user name wrbtrader (more info about me) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com