TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October 6th Friday Trade Results - Profits $375.00
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
TheStrategyLab Reviews: http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm
Price Action Trading: http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
Stocktwits @ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
Twitter @ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
100617-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+375.00.png
100617-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+375.00.png [ 95.73 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini RTY ($RTY_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $375.00 dollars or +7.50 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $375.00 dollars

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis.

Russell 2000 Emini RTY Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $5.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup (formerly as TF @ The ICE)
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log is archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=2665

All of my trades are posted real-time at the above link for today's archive chat log in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room via the user name wrbtrader for anyone to do a real-time review. Although the trades are posted by me and other users of WRB Analysis...this is not a signal calling chat room and this is not a live trading room that has a head trader telling you what to do. I'm the moderator (I keep the peace between members) and my own live trades are posted within 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation in my broker trade execution platform via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can review today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility...all key concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide even though the free chat room is not design to be an education chat room because the education is only performed at the forums in the private threads.

Quote:
2017 has been the most difficult trading year since I've begun trading +25 years ago because successful trading involves more than just trade methods than any other trading year. This is a key concept many traders have difficulties in understanding. Some blame it on algorithms while I blame it on the inability to adapt, failure to backtest, failure to document trades (real-money or simulator) and underestimating how our environment influences our cognitive decision making while trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room nor is it a live trading room with a head trader even though members of the chat room are posting their trades & market analysis in real-time. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of TheStrategyLab free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback about your own trading and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. In addition, we highly recommend that you use the free chat room with a professional trade journal software like tradebench.com, edgewonk.com, tradervue.com, tradingdiarypro.com, stocktickr.com, journalsqrd.com, tradingdiary.pro, mxprofit.com or trademetria.com because they can provide you with the quantitative statistical analysis of your trading. You can then download your results and post them in your private thread at the forum.

Also, you can use TheStrategyLab free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your quantitative statistical analysis, brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post that particular information in your private thread for security reasons. Yet, if you want to post that type of information at another website, blog or chat room...that's your choice.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages, many different mobile apps, many different types of social media software can be used to log in along with IRC being easier to moderate via script codes when trouble makers, spammers and trolls show up. I'm the moderator of the free chat room via the user name wrbtrader. Thus, I keep the peace between members without hesitation in removing problematic traders so that members can peacefully post their market observations, trades, WRB Analysis commentary about the markets without being trolled or harassed.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is not for traders looking for someone to hold their hands and tell them when to buy or sell nor do we allow the free chat room to be used for mentoring because we do not offer a mentoring service. The purpose of TheStrategyLab is for you to post your real-time analysis or trades so that you can review as feedback for any trading day to provide valuable information about the results in your broker statements. If you join the free chat room and then you decide to not post any WRB Analysis about the price action or you decide to not post your trades or you decide to be silent (lurk without saying a word about today's markets)...you're not using the free chat room properly to help improve your trading.

In fact, we do not want silent (lurkers) traders to join the free chat room unless they are actively posting at the forum about their trading after the markets close. Access instructions for the free chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Yet, I'm always backtesting new concepts of WRB Analysis, new trade entry rules, new trade management rules, new position size management rules before application in real money trades (small position size trades) to adapt to changed market conditions prior to large position size trades or sharing the new concepts with fee-base clients...living up to the name of my website. TheStrategyLab.

Also, posted below for you to review are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=331&t=3532 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives for easy review to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
100617-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
100617-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 229 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

The Market at 04:30PM ET
Dow: -1.72… | Nasdaq: +4.82… | S&P: -2.74…
NASDAQ Vol: 1.73 bln… Adv: 1319… Dec: 1383…
NYSE Vol: 728.1 mln… Adv: 1058… Dec: 1846…

Moving the Market

September Jobs Report shows a decrease of 33,000 in nonfarm payrolls and an increase of 0.5% in average hourly earnings; figures were impacted by Hurricanes Irma and Harvey

Technology, financials, & consumer discretionary sectors show relative strength

Sector Watch
Strong: Consumer Discretionary, Technology, Financials
Weak: Energy, Consumer Staples, Telecom Services
04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks ended the week on a down note, giving back a small portion of their weekly gains. Losses were modest, however, with the S&P 500 (-0.1%) and the Dow (unch) settling just a tick below their unchanged marks. The tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.1%) eked out a small victory, settling at yet another record high. For the week, the S&P 500 added 1.2%.

The market took the September jobs report with a grain of salt due to the effects of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. The report showed that employment in food services and drinking places declined by 105,000--taking a toll on the nonfarm payrolls figure, which decreased by 33,000 (Briefing.com consensus +75K).

Average hourly earnings, which have been slow to pick up despite a tightening of the labor market, soundly beat expectations though, showing an increase of 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%). This figure was also likely affected by the hurricanes, but that didn't stop the market from adjusting its rate-hike expectations.

The CME FedWatch Tool currently places the chances of a December rate hike at 93.1%, up from 77.5% on Thursday.

U.S. Treasuries ended the session in negative territory, with shorter-dated issues showing relative weakness; the yield on the 2-yr Treasury note jumped four basis points to 1.53% while the benchmark 10-yr yield climbed two basis points to 2.37%. The U.S. Dollar Index slipped 0.1% to 93.64.

Most of the S&P 500's eleven sectors finished in the red, but some of the heaviest spaces by weight--including technology (+0.3%), financials (unch), and consumer discretionary (+0.2%)--put together relatively solid performances, helping keep the broader market's loss in check.

The tech group climbed 0.3%, thanks in large part to mega-cap names like Facebook (FB 172.23, +0.99) and Alphabet (GOOGL 993.64, +8.45), which added 0.6% and 0.9%, respectively. Chipmakers were also strong on Friday, sending the PHLX Semiconductor Index higher by 0.5%.

Meanwhile, influential names like Amazon (AMZN 989.58, +8.73), Netflix (NFLX 198.02, +3.63), and McDonald's (MCD 159.60, +0.80) helped carry the consumer discretionary space (+0.2%) to victory, settling with gains between 0.5% and 1.9%. NFLX shares had a solid week, adding 9.2%.

On the flip side, the consumer staples space (-1.0%) underperformed with retail heavyweight Costco (COST 157.09, -9.98) dropping 6.0%, despite beating both top and bottom line estimates. Retail pharmacy names also tumbled after Morgan Stanley downgraded Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 73.20, -3.75) to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight'; WBA shares lost 4.9%.

The energy sector (-0.8%) also struggled as the price of WTI crude dropped 2.9% to $49.33/bbl amid concerns of Tropical Storm Nate's potential impact on refineries around the Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Nate is projected to hit the Gulf Coast this weekend as a hurricane.

Reviewing Friday's economic data, which included the September Employment Situation Report, the August Wholesale Inventories Report, and the August Consumer Credit Report:

September Employment Situation
September nonfarm payrolls decreased by 33,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 75,000. The prior month's increase was revised to 169,000 from 156,000.
Nonfarm private payrolls declined by 40,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 98,000. The previous month's increase was revised to 164,000 from 165,000.
Average hourly earnings increased 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), while the previous month's reading was revised to +0.2% (from +0.1%).
The average workweek was reported at 34.4 (Briefing.com consensus 34.3). The previous month's reading was left unrevised at 34.4.
The unemployment rate fell to 4.2% (Briefing.com consensus 4.4%) from 4.4% in the previous month.
The hurricane-related noise of the September employment resonated in the headline payroll numbers, yet the most important takeaway from the report is that wage growth picked up nicely in September and should solidify the case for another rate hike in December.
August Wholesale Inventories
August Wholesale Inventories increased 0.9% (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%). The prior month's reading was left unrevised at +0.6%.
The key takeaway from the report is that the inventory build will be a positive component for Q3 GDP growth forecasts.
August Consumer Credit
The Consumer Credit report for August showed an increase of $13.1 billion while the Briefing.com consensus expected growth of $16.0 billion. The prior month's credit growth was revised to $17.7 billion from $18.5 billion.

Investors will not receive any economic data on Monday.

Nasdaq Composite +22.4% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +15.2% YTD
S&P 500 +13.9% YTD
Russell 2000 +11.3% YTD

Week In Review: Autumn's Still Looking Pretty Green

Stocks started October on the front foot, climbing to new record highs once again, despite the devastating shooting in Las Vegas on Sunday evening, which claimed the lives of more than 50 people and injured over 500 others. The major indices all settled the week in the green with the Dow, the Nasdaq, and the S&P 500 adding 1.7%, 1.5%, and 1.2%, respectively.

This week's bullish bias had its roots in last week's run to record highs, which was sparked by the release of the GOP's latest tax reform outline. The House kept the ball rolling this week by passing a budget that slashes government spending in anticipation of decreased tax revenue. The GOP still has a long way to go, but the market liked the progress.

Excited by the idea of a tax overhaul, the S&P 500's financial sector climbed 1.9% this week to finish comfortably ahead of the broader market. The financial sector has added 10.6% since closing at a three month low on September 7 and now trades just a tick behind the benchmark index for the year.

Automakers were strong this week after reporting largely solid U.S. sales figures for the month of September, which were helped by the replacement of vehicles lost to Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. General Motors (GM) showed particular strength, climbing 11.3%, after reporting a year-over-year increase of 12.0%.

Netflix (NFLX) also had a good showing, hitting a fresh all-time high, after UBS raised its target price to $225 from $190 and following news that the company will raise the price of its standard and premium video-streaming services. NFLX shares settled with a gain of 9.2%.

Equities did end the week on a down note, however, following a noisy Employment Situation Report for September. The market took the report with a grain of salt since it was tainted by the impacts of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma, but it didn't do much to alleviate rate-hike concerns nonetheless, showing an increase of 0.5% in average hourly earnings.

As a reminder, average hourly earnings growth, which is positively correlated with inflation, has been tepid in recent months, putting the Fed's rate-hike forecast into question. However, following Friday's jobs report, the market now strongly believes the U.S. central bank will hike rates one more time this year, thereby achieving its goal of three rate hikes in 2017.

The fed funds futures market places the chances of a December rate hike at 93.1%, up from last week's 77.9%.

It's also worth pointing out that the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) settled at an all-time low (9.19) on Thursday, signaling the market's belief that volatility will remain subdued in the short term. The previous record low (9.31) was recorded nearly 24 years ago in December 1993.
Dow: -1.72… | Nasdaq: +4.82… | S&P: -2.74…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1319/1383. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1058/1846.

03:25PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities end the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently up 0.78% at 83.9256
Dollar index is up 0.15% at 93.82.
Nov WTI crude is lower on the day.
Baker Hughes total U.S. rig count decreased by 4 to 936 following last week's increase of 5
Futures settled $1.45 lower to $49.33/barrel.
In other energy, Nov natural gas settled down $0.06 at $2.86/MMBtu
On to metals:
Dec gold gained $1.80 to settle at $1275.00/oz, while Sept silver gained $0.14 to $16.78/oz
Dec copper lost $0.02 to $3.03/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn settled $0.01 higher at $3.50/bu.
Nov soy settled $0.04 higher at $9.73/bu.
Dec wheat settled $0.02 higher at $4.43/bu.

Dow: -13.62… | Nasdaq: -2.35… | S&P: -4.81…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1301/1491. …NYSE Adv/Dec 979/1940.

03:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 enters the final hour of action with a modest loss of 0.2%. For the week, the benchmark index is currently up 1.1%.

Just in, the Consumer Credit report for August showed an increase of $13.1 billion while the Briefing.com consensus expected growth of $16.0 billion. The prior month's credit growth was revised to $17.7 billion from $18.5 billion.
Dow: -9.03… | Nasdaq: +0.49… | S&P: -4.30…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1272/1528. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1017/1905.

02:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have not changed since the last update.

The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 9.97, +0.78) has climbed 8.5% since settling at an all-time low yesterday afternoon. The VIX has flirted with its record low in recent months, but, until yesterday, the index hadn't actually rewrote its record mark since 1993. The CBOE Volatility Index is often called Wall Street's "fear gauge" as it measures the market's expectation for short-term volatility.

As a reminder, today's last economic report--August Consumer Credit (Briefing.com consensus $16.0 billion)--will be released at 15:00 ET.
Dow: -21.11… | Nasdaq: -3.24… | S&P: -5.56…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1231/1586. …NYSE Adv/Dec 917/1988.

02:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 continues to hold a modest loss this afternoon, trimming its week-to-date gain to 1.0%.

Only two of the eleven sectors--consumer discretionary (+0.2%) and technology (+0.1%)--are currently trading in positive territory. As for the remaining nine groups, they hold losses ranging between 0.2% and 2.0%. The telecom services space (-2.0%) is the weakest performer and is now lower by 1.1% for the week.

The Treasury market is still hovering in the red this afternoon and is on track to post a modest loss for the week. The benchmark 10-yr yield, which moves inversely to the price of the 10-yr Treasury note, is up one basis point at 2.36% and holds a week-to-date gain of two basis points.
Dow: -32.88… | Nasdaq: -2.32… | S&P: -6.39…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1229/1615. …NYSE Adv/Dec 916/1970.

01:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices continue to trade sideways in negative territory following this morning's jobs report.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows that General Electric (GE 24.20, -0.34), Chevron (CVX 117.08, -1.50), & Verizon (VZ 48.76, -0.42) are underperforming.

Conversely, McDonald's (MCD 159.90, +1.10) is the best-performing Dow component as restaurant stocks display relative strength, helped in part by quarterly earnings from Yum China (YUMC 40.62, +0.65).

Despite today's pullback, the DJIA is still up 1.52% this week.
Dow: -31.31… | Nasdaq: -3.71… | S&P: -6.60…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1208/1606. …NYSE Adv/Dec 910/1970.

01:05PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market's streak of record high closes is in danger this afternoon following the release of the Employment Situation Report for September, which failed to alleviate rate-hike concerns. The S&P 500 is down 0.3% and is the weakest of the three major indices. The Dow (-0.1%) hovers just a tick below its unchanged mark while the Nasdaq is flat.

Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma undoubtedly had an impact on the September jobs report and, therefore, the market has taken the reading with a grain of salt. With that being said, the report showed that nonfarm payrolls decreased by 33,000 (Briefing.com consensus +75,000) and that average hourly earnings increased by 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%).

The average hourly earnings number has been of particular interest as its tepid growth in prior months has put the Fed's rate-hike forecast into question. However, following today's reading, the market believes the Fed will accomplish its goal of an additional rate hike this year; the CME FedWatch Tool places the chances of a December rate hike at 90.6%, up from yesterday's 77.5%.

Nine of the S&P 500's eleven sectors are trading in the red this afternoon, but the top-weighted technology sector (+0.1%) shows relative strength, helping keep a lid on the broader market's loss. Within the tech group, Facebook (FB 172.08, +0.86) and Alphabet (GOOGL 993.27, +8.08) hold solid gains of 0.5% and 0.8%, respectively.

The consumer discretionary sector (+0.2%) also shows notable strength as names like Amazon (AMZN 993.71, +12.86), Netflix (NFLX 197.64, +3.26), McDonald's (MCD 160.10, +1.30), and General Motors (GM 44.80, +0.95) outperform, holding gains between 0.8% and 2.2%.

On the flip side, the consumer staples sector (-0.8%) is one of the weakest groups, with retail giant Costco (COST 157.12, -9.95) dropping 6.0% despite beating both top and bottom line estimates. Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 75.25, -1.70) is also solidly lower (-2.2%) after Morgan Stanley downgraded the company to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight.'

Outside of the equity market, WTI crude futures are down 3.0% at $49.23/bbl amid concerns of refinery shutdowns in, and around, the Gulf of Mexico due to Tropical Storm Nate, which is expected to hit the Gulf Coast this weekend as a hurricane. The energy sector is down 1.1%.

U.S. Treasuries are lower across the curve with shorter-dated issues showing relative weakness; the yield on the 2-yr Treasury note is up two basis points at 1.51%. Meanwhile, the benchmark 10-yr yield is up one basis point at 2.36%.

Reviewing Friday's economic data, which has included the September Employment Situation Report and the August Wholesale Inventories Report thus far:

September Employment Situation
September nonfarm payrolls decreased by 33,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 75,000. The prior month's increase was revised to 169,000 from 156,000.
Nonfarm private payrolls declined by 40,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 98,000. The previous month's increase was revised to 164,000 from 165,000.
Average hourly earnings increased 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), while the previous month's reading was revised to +0.2% (from +0.1%).
The average workweek was reported at 34.4 (Briefing.com consensus 34.3). The previous month's reading was left unrevised at 34.4.
The unemployment rate fell to 4.2% (Briefing.com consensus 4.4%) from 4.4% in the previous month.
The hurricane-related noise of the September employment resonated in the headline payroll numbers, yet the most important takeaway from the report is that wage growth picked up nicely in September and should solidify the case for another rate hike in December.
August Wholesale Inventories
August Wholesale Inventories increased 0.9% (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%). The prior month's reading was left unrevised at +0.6%.
The key takeaway from the report is that the inventory build will be a positive component for Q3 GDP growth forecasts.

Friday's last economic report--August Consumer Credit (Briefing.com consensus $16.0 billion)--will be released at 15:00 ET.
Dow: -31.30… | Nasdaq: -0.50… | S&P: -6.28…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1204/1607. …NYSE Adv/Dec 899/1983.

12:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks continue drifting sideways this afternoon, leaving the major U.S. indices near their opening levels. The S&P 500 is lower by 0.3%.

Although the broader market is trading lower, chipmakers are trading higher, evidenced by the PHLX Semiconductor Index, which is up 0.1%. Today's relatively positive performance gives the PHLX Semiconductor Index a week-to-date gain of 1.3%, which is modestly better than the S&P 500's five day gain of 1.0%.

The top-weighted technology sector (unch), which houses chipmakers, is trading a tick above its flat line.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries are still hovering in negative territory, but have come up from their worst levels of the day. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note is up one basis point at 2.36%, but traded as high as 2.40% this morning.
Dow: -32.42… | Nasdaq: -5.32… | S&P: -7.72…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1126/1699. …NYSE Adv/Dec 815/2047.

11:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices are still modestly lower late this morning, with the S&P 500 (-0.3%) showing relative weakness.

Costco (COST 156.81, -10.26) has plunged 6.2% in today's session despite reporting better-than-expected earnings and revenues on Thursday evening. COST shares are trading at a one month low and are on track to settle below their 50-day simple moving average (159.26) for the first time since August 30.

Meanwhile, Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 75.33, -1.62) has slid 2.2% after Morgan Stanley downgraded the company to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight' earlier this morning. Peer CVS Health (CVS 79.07, -1.82) is also trading 2.2% lower in sympathy.

Unsurprisingly, the consumer staples space (-0.8%), which houses the three aforementioned names, trades comfortably behind the broader market.
Dow: -31.16… | Nasdaq: -8.74… | S&P: -7.04…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1064/1754. …NYSE Adv/Dec 791/2057.

11:30AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have not changed since the last update.

The consumer discretionary sector (+0.1%) is one of the few sectors currently trading in positive territory. The group has benefited from the positive performances of influential names like Amazon (AMZN 988.40, +7.55), Netflix (NFLX 198.38, +4.02), McDonald's (MCD 159.84, +1.04), and General Motors (GM 44.92, +1.08), which hold gains between 0.8% and 2.5%.

For the week, the sector is up 1.8% and wrestling with financials (+1.8% WTD), materials (+1.7% WTD), and health care (+1.5% WTD) for the top spot on the week's leaderboard. On the flip side, the telecom services and energy sectors are the week's weakest performers, showing respective week-to-date losses of 1.0% and 0.7%.
Dow: -17.88… | Nasdaq: -6.08… | S&P: -6.06…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1178/1636. …NYSE Adv/Dec 814/2018.

11:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Stocks are hovering near their opening levels with the three major indices holding losses between 0.1% and 0.3%.

WTI crude futures are down 2.7% at $49.41/bbl this morning amid concerns related to Tropical Storm Nate, which is expected to hit the Gulf Coast this weekend as a hurricane. The storm has already forced the closure of oil and gas platforms in the Gulf of Mexico, signaling a possible disruption in demand for the commodity.

The S&P 500's energy sector (-0.9%) has moved lower in tandem with the price of crude oil and currently hovers near the bottom of today's sector standings.

Meanwhile, the heavily-weighted financial sector (unch) has weakened after getting off to a relatively solid start earlier this morning. The group trades roughly in line with the health care (+0.1%) and consumer discretionary (+0.1%) sectors at the top of the leaderboard.
Dow: -29.26… | Nasdaq: -13.32… | S&P: -6.66…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1174/1603. …NYSE Adv/Dec 826/2000.

10:30AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities begin the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down +1% at 93.7561
Dollar index is up 0.18% at 94.13.
Oct WTI crude is significantly lower on the day.
Tropical Storm Nate is a large part of weakness today.
Futures are down $1.34 to $49.45/barrel.
In other energy, Oct natural gas is down $0.044 at $2.878/MMBtu
Metals performed well with precious metals and copper settling higher
Dec gold has lost $7.20 and trades at $1266.10/oz, while Sept silver has dropped $0.203 to $16.435/oz
Sept copper has lost $0.0185 to $3.028/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn is $0.0075 higher at $3.5025/bu.
Nov soy is down $0.03 at $9.6525/bu.
Dec wheat is up $0.0175 at $4.425/bu.

Dow: -9.6… | Nasdaq: +1.63… | S&P: -2.75…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 13420/1420. …NYSE Adv/Dec 929/1821.

10:05AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have trimmed their opening losses a bit; the S&P 500 is down just 0.1%.

Dow: -17.12… | Nasdaq: -0.54… | S&P: -3.79…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1266/1429. …NYSE Adv/Dec 817/1949.

09:40AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The equity market opened Friday's session in the red, but losses have been modest thus far; the S&P 500 is lower by 0.2%.

Most of the S&P 500's 11 sectors are lower, but the heavily-weighted financial group (+0.3%) is bucking the downward trend. The telecom services (-1.7%) and real estate (-1.1%) groups are the weakest performers while the remaining laggards show losses of no more than 0.6%. The top-weighted technology sector is down 0.2%.

In the bond market, Treasuries have continued ticking lower this morning, pushing yields farther into the green. The benchmark 10-yr yield is up four basis points at 2.39%, extending its week-to-date gain to five basis points.

As a reminder, August Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%) will be released at 10:00 ET.
Dow: -22.27… | Nasdaq: -8.87… | S&P: -4.33…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1112/1514. …NYSE Adv/Dec 780/1843.

09:17AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -5.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -16.40.

Equity indices are on track to open Friday's session in the red; the S&P 500 futures trade five points, or 0.2%, below fair value.

The September Employment Situation Report will be taken with a grain of salt as it was clearly impacted by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. Still, the reading wasn't all that encouraging as it showed that nonfarm payrolls decreased by 33,000 (Briefing.com consensus +75,000) and that average hourly earnings increased by 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%).

Following the release, the market believes a rate hike in December is inevitable with the CME FedWatch Tool placing the chances at around 98.2%, up from yesterday's 77.5%.

Treasury yields were in the green going into the release, but have ticked up a bit more in the aftermath; the 2-yr and 10-yr yields are up three basis points apiece at 1.52% and 2.38%, respectively. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index is up 0.2% at 93.92.

On the corporate front, Costco (COST 159.38, -7.69) is down 4.6% despite beating both top and bottom line estimates. Likewise, Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 75.25, -1.70) is down 2.2% after Morgan Stanley downgraded WBA shares to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight' earlier this morning.

In addition to the jobs report, investors will receive August Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%) and August Consumer Credit (Briefing.com consensus $16.0 billion) on Friday. The two reports will be released at 10:00 ET and 15:00 ET, respectively.

08:51AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -3.80. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -14.60.

The S&P 500 futures trade four points, or 0.2%, below fair value.

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended the week on a mostly higher note while China's Shanghai Composite remained closed for Golden Week. South Korea's markets were also closed today and will be closed on Monday, alongside markets in Japan. Reserve Bank of Australia member Ian Harper said the RBA could cut rates due to weak retail sales. The Reserve Bank of Australia left its official cash rate unchanged at 1.50% for the 14th consecutive month on Tuesday. Standard & Poor's noted that the deleveraging efforts of the Chinese government have resulted in asset growth in the domestic banking sector lagging nominal GDP growth. The U.S. Commerce Department deferred the anti-dumping decision regarding imports of aluminum foil from China. The decision will be made by the end of November.

In economic data:
Japan's August Overtime Pay +1.5% year-over-year (last 0.1%) and Average Cash Earnings +0.9% year-over-year (consensus 0.5%; last -0.6%). August Leading Index 106.8 (expected 107.2; last 105.2)
Hong Kong's September Manufacturing PMI 51.2 (last 49.7)
Australia's September AIG Construction Index 54.7 (last 55.3)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei added 0.3%, extending this week's gain to 1.6%. Fast Retailing, Furukawa Electric, Toho Zinc, TDK, Mitsubishi Materials, Toyota Motor, TOTO, Alps Electric, Olympus, and Ricoh gained between 1.2% and 3.3%. On the downside, Kikkoman, Familymart, and Chugai Pharmaceutical lost between 1.6% and 2.1%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng edged up 0.3%, gaining 3.3% for the week. Geely Automobile surged 5.6% to a fresh record high while financials like Citic Pacific, AIA Group, Ping An Insurance, Bank of East Asia, and Hang Seng Bank rose between 0.2% and 1.6%. On the downside, Sands China and Galaxy Entertainment lost 2.9% and 1.7%, respectively.
China's Shanghai Composite was closed.
India's Sensex gained 0.7%, narrowing this week's loss to 0.3%. GAIL, TATA Steel, NTPC, Hindustan Unilever, Reliance Industries, and Coal India posted gains between 1.3% and 5.0%. Tech consultants like Tata Consultancy, Wipro, and Infosys advanced between 0.6% and 1.8%.

Major European indices trade near their flat lines while Italy's MIB (-0.5%) underperforms. Reuters reported that the Bank of Italy is seeking a softening of the new rule for handling of nonperforming loans. Starting in 2018, banks will have two years to cover 100% of the value of non-performing unsecured debt and seven years to cover secured bad debt. Italian banks are known for holding an outsized share of bad loans. Former Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said this rule will essentially prohibit lending to small and medium companies, weighing on growth. In Spain, the Catalan Parliament is scheduled to meet on Monday despite the session being blocked by Spain's Constitutional Court. The separatist roadmap suggests independence could be declared at that time. The European Commission is looking to expand the supervisory powers of the European Central Bank to include large investment firms. British Prime Minister Theresa May has responded to speculation about her ouster, saying she has full support of her cabinet.

In economic data:
Germany's August Factory Orders +3.6% month-over-month (expected 0.7%; last -0.4%)
UK's September Halifax House Price Index +0.8% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; last 1.5%); +4.0% year-over-year (consensus 3.6%; last 2.6%)
France's August trade deficit narrowed to EUR4.50 billion from EUR6.00 billion (expected deficit of EUR5.40 billion)
Spain's August Industrial Production +1.8% year-over-year (expected 0.9%; last 1.9%)
Italy's August Retail Sales -0.3% month-over-month (expected 0.2%; last -0.4%); -0.5% year-over-year (last -0.4%)

---Equity Markets---

UK's FTSE is higher by 0.2%. Consumer names like British American Tobacco, Pearson, Barratt Developments, Carnival, InterContinental Hotels, and Tesco have gained between 0.9% and 1.9%. On the downside, financials Lloyds Banking, Standard Chartered, RBS, and Barclays are down between 0.1% and 1.0%.
Germany's DAX trades up 0.1%. Automakers Volkswagen, Daimler, and BMW sport gains between 0.5% and 0.8%. On the downside, Lufthansa, Linde, Deutsche Post, and Thyssenkrupp are down between 0.8% and 1.6%.
France's CAC is down 0.1%. Consumer stocks like Louis Vuitton, Carrefour, Kering, and Pernod Ricard have slid between 0.3% and 1.4% while financials like Societe Generale and Unibail Rodamco are down 0.8% apiece.
Italy's MIB has retreated 0.5%. Bper Banca, UBI Banca, Banco Bpm, Intesa Sanpaolo, UniCredit, and Banca Generali trade with losses between 0.3% and 3.3%.

08:36AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -1.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -0.20.

The S&P 500 futures trade one point below fair value.

Just in, September nonfarm payrolls decreased by 33,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 75,000. The prior month's increase was revised to 169,000 from 156,000. Nonfarm private payrolls declined by 40,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 98,000. The previous month's increase was revised to 164,000 from 165,000.

The unemployment rate fell to 4.2% (Briefing.com consensus 4.4%). Average hourly earnings increased 0.5% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%), while the previous month's reading was revised to +0.2% (from +0.1%). The average workweek was reported at 34.4 (Briefing.com consensus 34.3). The previous month's reading was left unrevised at 34.4.

08:01AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +7.10.

Equity futures are trading roughly in line with fair value this morning as investors await the 8:30 ET release of the September Employment Situation Report (Briefing.com consensus 75K). All three major indices have settled at fresh record highs each day this week and enter Friday's session holding week-to-date gains between 1.3% and 1.7%.

Today's jobs report is expected to show slower job growth than in recent months due to the impacts of Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. The reading isn't expected to have much impact on the market's expectations for a December rate hike, but it may affect the number of rate hikes investors are anticipating for 2018.

Going into the release, the CME FedWatch Tool places the chances of a December rate hike at around 83.0%.

In addition, August Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%) and August Consumer Credit (Briefing.com consensus $16.0 billion) will be released at 10:00 ET and 15:00 ET, respectively.

Outside of the equity market, Treasuries are trading lower this morning, sending yields into the green; the benchmark 10-yr yield is up two basis points at 2.37%. Meanwhile, crude oil is down 1.0% at $50.30/bbl, the U.S. Dollar Index is flat at 93.81, and gold is lower by 0.1% at 1,271.60/ozt.

In U.S. corporate news:

Costco (COST 161.74, -5.33): -3.2% despite beating both top and bottom line estimates.
Walgreens Boot Alliance (WBA 75.48, -1.47): -1.9% after Morgan Stanley downgraded WBA shares to 'Equal-Weight' from 'Overweight.'

Reviewing overnight developments:

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended the week on a mostly higher note while China's Shanghai Composite remained closed for Golden Week. Japan's Nikkei +0.3%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng +0.3%, India's Sensex +0.7%.
In economic data:
Japan's August Overtime Pay +1.5% year-over-year (last 0.1%) and Average Cash Earnings +0.9% year-over-year (consensus 0.5%; last -0.6%). August Leading Index 106.8 (expected 107.2; last 105.2)
Hong Kong's September Manufacturing PMI 51.2 (last 49.7)
Australia's September AIG Construction Index 54.7 (last 55.3)
In news:
Reserve Bank of Australia member Ian Harper said the RBA could cut rates due to weak retail sales. The Reserve Bank of Australia left its official cash rate unchanged at 1.50% for the 14th consecutive month on Tuesday.
Standard & Poor's noted that the deleveraging efforts of the Chinese government have resulted in asset growth in the domestic banking sector lagging nominal GDP growth.
The U.S. Commerce Department deferred the anti-dumping decision regarding imports of aluminum foil from China. The decision will be made by the end of November.

Major European indices trade near their flat lines while Spain's IBEX (-0.4%) and Italy's MIB (-0.7%) underperform. UK's FTSE +0.2%, Germany's DAX +0.1%, France's CAC -0.2%.
In economic data:
Germany's August Factory Orders +3.6% month-over-month (expected 0.7%; last -0.4%)
UK's September Halifax House Price Index +0.8% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; last 1.5%); +4.0% year-over-year (consensus 3.6%; last 2.6%)
France's August trade deficit narrowed to EUR4.50 billion from EUR6.00 billion (expected deficit of EUR5.40 billion)
Spain's August Industrial Production +1.8% year-over-year (expected 0.9%; last 1.9%)
Italy's August Retail Sales -0.3% month-over-month (expected 0.2%; last -0.4%); -0.5% year-over-year (last -0.4%)
In news:
Reuters reported that the Bank of Italy is seeking a softening of the new rule for handling of nonperforming loans. Starting in 2018, banks will have two years to cover 100% of the value of non-performing unsecured debt and seven years to cover secured bad debt. Italian banks are known for holding an outsized share of bad loans. Former Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said this rule will essentially prohibit lending to small and medium companies, weighing on growth.
In Spain, the Catalan Parliament is scheduled to meet on Monday despite the session being blocked by Spain's Constitutional Court. The separatist roadmap suggests independence could be declared at that time.
The European Commission is looking to expand the supervisory powers of the European Central Bank to include large investment firms.
British Prime Minister Theresa May has responded to speculation about her ouster, saying she has full support of her cabinet.

05:53AM ET
[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +7.10.

[BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...20691...+62.20...+0.30%. Hang Seng...28458...+78.90...+0.30%.

[BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...7518.20...+10.20...+0.10%. DAX...12976.73...+8.70...+0.10%.

04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] U.S. stock indices rallied to new record highs once again on Thursday, marking the sixth consecutive record finish for the S&P 500 (+0.6%)--its longest streak since 1997. The index's two most influential sectors--technology (+1.1%) and financials (+1.0%)--set the pace, but the win was a team effort as nine of the eleven sectors finished in the green.

The tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.8%) settled a step ahead of the benchmark index while the Dow (+0.5%) settled just a tick behind. The small-cap Russell 2000 (+0.3%) also finished in the green, bouncing back from Wednesday's modest decline.

Beer, wine, and spirits producer Constellation Brands (STZ 209.25, +8.07), which owns the Corona brand, climbed to a new record high on Thursday after soundly beating earnings estimates for its fiscal second quarter and raising its earnings guidance for fiscal year 2018; STZ shares finished higher by 4.0%.

Meanwhile, Netflix (NFLX 194.39, +9.94) surged 5.4%, also hitting a new all-time high, after announcing an upcoming price hike for its video-streaming services. Fellow consumer discretionary peer Amazon (AMZN 980.85, +15.40) also advanced (+1.6%), settling above its 50-day simple moving average (972.78) for the first time in three weeks.

However, a Bloomberg report that Amazon is testing its own delivery service weighed on logistics names like UPS (UPS 118.20, -0.80) and FedEx (FDX 221.61, +0.29).

The S&P 500's influential health care sector (+0.1%) struggled to keep pace with the broader market on Thursday. Biotech giant Celgene (CELG 140.01, -6.51) exhibited particular weakness (-4.4%) after Morgan Stanley downgraded the company's shares to 'Underweight' from 'Equal-Weight.'

Thursday's risk-on tone was felt in other financial markets as well, sending safe-haven assets--like U.S. Treasuries--into the red. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note settled two basis points higher at 2.35%. On a related note, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 9.22, -0.41) finished at a new record low for the first time since 1993.

In Washington, the House passed a $4.1 trillion budget that slashes spending over ten years, thereby paving the way for tax reform. However, the Senate still has to pass a budget of its own and, given the GOP's slim majority in the upper chamber, it may look quite a bit different than the version the House passed today.

Also, the Senate confirmed Randal Quarles as a member of the Federal Reserve board. This was seen as a positive for the market as Mr. Quarles has indicated that he wants to scale back bank regulations.

Reviewing Thursday's economic data, which included weekly Initial Claims, August Trade Balance, and August Factory Orders:

The latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 260,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 265,000. Today's tally was below the unrevised prior week count of 272,000. As for continuing claims, they declined to 1.938 million from the revised count of 1.940 million (from 1.934 million).

The initial claims reading was impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, but notably, it remained below 300,000 for the 135th straight week. That standing reflects continued tightness in the labor market and a general reluctance on the part of employers to cut payrolls at this juncture.

The August trade balance showed a deficit of $42.4 billion while the Briefing.com consensus expected the deficit to hit $42.6 billion. The previous month's deficit was revised to $43.6 billion from $43.7 billion.

The key takeaway from the report is that it suggests net exports will remain a positive contributor to third quarter GDP forecasts. To that end, the third quarter real trade deficit average of $61.8 billion is roughly 1% below the second quarter average.

The Factory Orders Report for August showed an increase of 1.2% while the Briefing.com consensus expected a rise of 1.0%. The July reading was left at -3.3%. The key takeaway from the report is that it will bolster Q3 GDP expectations given the upward revision from the advanced durable goods orders report for shipments of nondefense capital goods orders excluding aircraft.

On Friday, investors will receive the Employment Situation Report for September at 8:30 ET. Economists polled by Briefing.com expect the jobs report will show the addition of 75,000 nonfarm payrolls, an increase of 0.2% in average hourly earnings, and an unemployment rate of 4.4%.

In addition, August Wholesale Inventories (Briefing.com consensus +1.0%) and August Consumer Credit (Briefing.com consensus $16.0 billion) will be released at 10:00 ET and 15:00 ET, respectively.
Dow: +113.75… | Nasdaq: +50.73… | S&P: +14.33…
NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1535/1111. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1771/1136.

Image Price Action Trading @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm

Image Trade Strategies via Volatility Analysis @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm

Image Review of TheStrategyLab @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167

Image TheStrategyLab Review @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. Also, thank you for the review of TheStrategyLab performance record...hopefully the links will be useful for you. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Online user name wrbtrader (more info about me) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com