TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: September 11th Monday Trade Results - No Trades
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
TheStrategyLab Reviews: http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm
Price Action Trading: http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
Stocktwits @ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
Twitter @ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Quote:
No trades today for me.

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini RTY ($RTY_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $0.00 dollars

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis.

Russell 2000 Emini RTY Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $5.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup (formerly as TF @ The ICE)
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log: All of my live trades are posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room via the user name wrbtrader for anyone to do a real-time review. The live trade is posted 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can review today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility even though the free chat room is not design to be an education chat room because the education is only performed at the forums in the private threads. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=2644

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of TheStrategyLab free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. In addition, we highly recommend that you use the free chat room with a professional trade journal software like tradebench.com, edgewonk.com, tradervue.com, tradingdiarypro.com, stocktickr.com, journalsqrd.com, tradingdiary.pro, mxprofit.com or trademetria.com because they can provide you with the quantitative statistical analysis of your trading. You can then download your results and post them in your private thread at the forum. Also, you can use TheStrategyLab free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post your brokerage statements in your private thread for security reasons. TheStrategyLab free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages, many different mobile apps and many different types of social media software can be used to log in. I'm the moderator of the free chat room via the user name wrbtrader. Thus, I keep the peace between members without hesitation in removing trouble makers so that members can peacefully post their market observations, trades, WRB Analysis commentary about the markets without being trolled.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is not for traders looking for someone to hold their hands and tell them when to buy or sell. TheStrategyLab is for you to post your real-time analysis or trades so that you can review as feedback for any trading day to provide valuable information about the results in your broker statements. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below for you to review are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=327&t=3486 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives for easy review to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
091117-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
091117-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 821.45 KiB | Viewed 290 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

The Market at 04:30PM ET
Dow: +259.58… | Nasdaq: +72.07… | S&P: +26.68…
NASDAQ Vol: 1.81 bln… Adv: 1691… Dec: 885…
NYSE Vol: 794.9 mln… Adv: 2319… Dec: 627…

Moving the Market

Hurricane Irma weakens; investors dial back estimates for economic damage

North Korea decides against weekend missile launch

Financials bounce back from last week's decline, lead broader market

Sector Watch
Strong: Financials, Materials, Technology
Weak: Consumer Discretionary, Industrials, Health Care, Consumer Staples, Utilities, Telecom Services, Real Estate
04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The U.S. equity market kicked off the week with a solid bounce-back performance that reclaimed all of last week's decline and sent the S&P 500 (+1.1%) to a new all-time high. Investors happily dialed back their estimates for damages related to Hurricane Irma--which was downgraded to a tropical storm on Monday morning--and cheered a show of restraint from North Korea. The Nasdaq (+1.1%), the Dow (+1.2%), and the small-cap Russell 2000 (+1.1%) settled roughly in line with the benchmark index.

Irma made landfall in the Florida Keys on Sunday morning as a Category 4 hurricane, but the once historically powerful storm quickly petered out, falling to a Category 2 storm by the mid-afternoon. Millions of Florida residents are still without power and Jacksonville--Florida's most populous city--is experiencing substantial flooding, but the storm ultimately did far less damage than forecasts were predicting.

The prospect of fewer-than-expected hurricane related claims underpinned insurers like Travelers (TRV 122.56, +2.80) on Monday, helping the heavily-weighted financial sector (+1.7%) finish at the top of the sector standings. Meanwhile, home-improvement retailers like Home Depot (HD 158.37, -1.29) struggled, leaving the consumer discretionary sector (+0.5%) near the bottom of the sector standings, as investors curtailed their expectations for home-repair demand.

A tempering of geopolitical concerns related to North Korea also fed into Monday's bullish bias after the hermit nation proved analysts wrong over the weekend, deciding to celebrate the 69th anniversary of its founding without another long-range missile launch. The tranquility may prove to be short-lived, however, as the U.N. is expected to vote on further sanctions against Pyongyang on Monday evening.

Each of the eleven sectors settled Monday's session in the green, but gains varied pretty widely. In addition to financials, the technology (+1.5%) and materials (+1.4%) sectors outperformed. Within the tech group, Apple (AAPL 161.50, +2.87) showed relative strength, climbing 1.8%, ahead of Tuesday's product event, in which the company is expected to unveil its latest iPhone lineup, including the high-end iPhone X--which is reportedly the much-anticipated tenth anniversary edition that's been generating buzz for months.

Chipmakers also had a solid showing on Monday, sending the PHLX Semiconductor Index higher by 2.0% and into positive territory for the month (+0.1%).

Most other sectors finished with gains between 0.7% and 1.0%, but the lightly-weighted telecom services space underperformed, climbing higher by just 0.4%. Following today's relatively disappointing performance, the telecom services space now holds a month-to-date loss of 4.1% and trades at the very bottom of the 2017 sector standings with a year-to-date loss of 14.9%. The energy sector is the only other space trading in the red for the year (-14.1%).

Biotechnology stocks also struggled on Monday, evidenced by the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 334.41, +0.31), which settled just a tick above its flat line. However, the influential health care sector, which houses biotech names, held up relatively well (+0.8%), extending its month-to-date gain to 2.3%.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries sold off across the curve, pushing yields above the multi-month lows that they hit last week. The benchmark 10-yr climbed six basis points to 2.12% after falling to its lowest level since November on Thursday.

Meanwhile, U.S. dollar climbed 1.5% against the Japanese yen (109.47), which is considered a safe-haven asset, and the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 10.81, -1.31) tumbled 10.8%.

Investors didn't receive any economic data on Monday. Tuesday's lone economic report--the Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) for July--will be released at 10:00 ET.

Dow: +259.58… | Nasdaq: +72.07… | S&P: +26.68…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1691/885. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2319/627.

03:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities end the day higher:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently up 0.15% at 84.8862
Dollar index is currently up 0.65% at 91.95.
Oct WTI crude is higher on the day.
Crude traded lower to start the day but reversed sharply around 9:45am ET and settled higher.
Futures settled $0.64 higher to $48.06/barrel.
In other energy, Oct natural gas rallied
Futures settled up $0.06 at $2.95/MMBtu
On to metals:
Dec gold lost $15.40 to settle at $1335.70/oz, while Sept silver dropped $0.21 to $18.13/oz
Sept copper gained $0.03 to $3.07/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn is $0.01 higher at $3.58/bu.
Nov soy settled flat at $9.61/bu.
Dec wheat settled $0.03 lower at $4.35/bu.

Dow: 256.78… | Nasdaq: +72.23… | S&P: +25.92…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1894/821. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2305/630.

02:55PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages are hovering near their best marks of the day moving into the final hour of action. The S&P 500 (+1.1%) looks poised to close at a new all-time high.

Looking ahead, Apple (AAPL 160.96, +2.33) is expected to unveil its latest iPhone lineup tomorrow, including the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus, and the high-end iPhone X--which is reportedly the much-anticipated tenth anniversary edition that's been generating buzz for months. The product event, which is also likely to feature a new Apple Watch and a 4K Apple TV, will kick off at 10:00 ET.

On the data front, the first economic report of the week--the Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) for July--will be released tomorrow morning at 10:00 ET.

Dow: +262.16… | Nasdaq: +68.52… | S&P: +26.35…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1880/856. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2315/603.

02:25PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 (+1.1%) is knocking on the door of its all-time intraday high (2,490.87).

All sectors are still trading in the green this afternoon. The financials (+1.7%), materials (+1.6%), and technology (+1.5%) groups have maintained their comfortable lead. Meanwhile, the lightly-weighted telecom services group (+0.2%) is notably underperforming, but the remaining sectors hold gains between 0.6% and 0.9%.

In Washington, a recent Politico report indicates that Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Economic Advisor Gary Cohn will meet with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and members of the Senate Budget Committee tomorrow to discuss tax reform plans.

Dow: +256.58… | Nasdaq: +71.08… | S&P: +25.50…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1918/844. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2317/583.

01:55PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities continue trading near their best marks of the day with the S&P 500 showing a gain of 1.1%.

Transports are hovering a step behind the broader market this afternoon, evidenced by the Dow Jones Transportation Average, which is currently sporting a gain of 0.8%. Airlines are among the strongest components within the DJTA, sending the US Global Jets ETF (JETS 29.07, +0.65) higher by 2.3%, with American Airlines (AAL 45.69, +2.10) leading the charge. AAL shares are up 4.8%.

On the flip side, transporter C.H. Robinson (CHRW 72.33, -1.41) is the weakest DJTA component following last week's big 5.1% rally. CHRW shares are currently down 1.8%, slipping below their 200-day simple moving average (72.38).

Dow: +266.14… | Nasdaq: +71.21… | S&P: +26.34…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1938/836. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2325/581.

01:35PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices continue to bolster meaningful gains to kick off the trading week as investors cheer the lack of any additional military demonstrations in North Korea and a Hurricane Irma that appears to have been tamer than worst-case scenario models had projected.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows that Travelers (TRV 122.94, +1.38), Intel (INTC 35.93, +0.74), & Cisco (CSCO 32.12, +0.64) are outperforming. Travelers is leading the Dow as insurers across the board rally on the above-mentioned, better than expected outcome of Hurricane Irma.

Conversely, Home Depot (HD 157.65, -2.01) is the worst-performing Dow component after Hurricane Irma seemed to have caused less damage in Florida than many had expected. Shares had seen a strong rally in recent sessions leading up to the storm making landfall on the assumption that large parts of Florida communities and towns would need to be rebuilt should the storm maintain its course and strength.

On the heels of today's surge, the DJIA is now up 0.52% this month.

Dow: +263.99… | Nasdaq: +72.86… | S&P: +26.92…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1956/832. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2352/550.

01:05PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The equity market has kicked off the week on a positive note, reclaiming all of last week's slide and sending the S&P 500 (+1.0%) into record territory. The Dow (+1.1%) and the Nasdaq (+1.1%) trade roughly in line with the benchmark index, which is currently hovering just three points below its all-time high of 2,490.87.

Investors have rallied around a weakening Hurricane Irma, which was downgraded to a tropical storm this morning, as the once historically powerful storm quickly petered out after hitting the Florida Keys on Sunday. Property and casualty insurers have exhibited notable strength today, and home improvement retailers have exhibited notable weakness, as it appears that damage related to the storm will come in below estimates.

Also, the fact that North Korea did not celebrate its 69th anniversary with another missile launch over the weekend has helped fuel today's bullish bias, alleviating fears of another showdown between Pyongyang and Washington. However, a U.N. vote on further sanctions against North Korea, which is scheduled to take place late today, may stir the geopolitical pot once again.

Led by insurers, the heavily-weighted financial sector (+1.9%) has paced today's advance, followed closely by the top-weighted technology sector (+1.5%). Within the tech group, Apple (AAPL 161.53, +2.90) shows notable strength ahead of tomorrow's product event, in which the tech giant is expected to unveil its much-anticipated iPhone 8. Chipmakers also outperform, pushing the PHLX Semiconductor Index higher by 2.0%.

The lightly-weighted materials sector (+1.4%) also trades ahead of the broader market, but the eight remaining spaces are struggling to keep pace, showing gains between 0.3% and 0.8%. The influential health care group (+0.7%) trades near the top of this range despite a poor showing from biotech names, which have pushed the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 333.69, -0.42) lower by 0.2%.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries have come down from their lowest marks of the year amid today's strong risk-on tone. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note is up seven basis points at 2.12%. However, shorter dated issues have held up somewhat better, leading to a steepening of the yield curve. The 2-yr yield is up four basis points at 1.30%.

Investors have not received any economic data today. The week's first report--July JOLTS--will cross the wires tomorrow morning at 10:00 ET.

Dow: +251.37… | Nasdaq: +72.78… | S&P: +26.44…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1978/817. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2360/538.

12:25PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices are trading near their recent levels with the S&P 500 sporting a gain of 1.0%.

All eleven sectors are trading in the green this afternoon with the financials (+1.7%), technology (+1.5%), and materials (+1.4%) groups leading the rally. On the flip side, the consumer discretionary (+0.5%) and telecom services (+0.3%) spaces are currently hovering at the very bottom of today's sector standings.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries have slipped to new session lows in recent action, pushing the benchmark 10-yr yield seven basis points above its flat line to 2.12%.

Dow: +242.00… | Nasdaq: +68.65… | S&P: +24.63…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1988/827. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2324/549.

11:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have been ticking up as of late, pushing to new session highs. The S&P 500 is currently higher by 1.0%.

Biotechnology stocks are trending lower today, evidenced by the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 333.01, -1.09), which is down 0.3%. Names like Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN 448.49, -23.61) and Incyte (INCY 125.18, -4.21) show particular weakness, dropping 5.0% and 3.2%, respectively. Today's slide leaves REGN shares at their lowest level since May.

The heavily-weighted health care group, which houses biotechnology names, is trading behind the broader market, but still shows a solid gain of 0.5%. For the month, the health care group is trading near the top of the sector standings with a month-to-date gain of 1.9%.

Dow: +238.10… | Nasdaq: +64.52… | S&P: +23.51…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1960/838. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2322/531.

11:25AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue to float near their session highs with the Dow exhibiting relative strength (+1.0%).

The heavily-weighted financial sector (+1.6%) has reclaimed a good chunk of last week's 2.8% decline this morning amid broad strength. Property and casualty insurers are among the sector's top-performing components as investors dial back their claim estimates following the continued weakening of Hurricane Irma, which was downgraded to a tropical storm earlier this morning.

Elsewhere, financials have also been underpinned by a steepening of the yield curve, which bodes well for the net-interest margins of lenders. The 2-yr yield is up four basis points at 1.30% while the benchmark 10-yr yield has climbed even higher, jumping six basis points to 2.11%.

Dow: +216.61… | Nasdaq: +60.09… | S&P: +20.89…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1937/844. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2255/575.

11:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 (+0.8%) is currently trading a tick above its record-high close (2,480.91), hovering near its best mark of the day.

All eleven sectors have moved higher this morning with gains ranging from 0.2% to 1.4%. The top-weighted technology space (+1.4%) has shown particular strength as nearly all of its components trade in positive territory. Within the tech group, Apple (AAPL 161.87, +3.23) has jumped 2.0% ahead of tomorrow's product event, in which the company is expected to unveil its much-anticipated iPhone 8.

Chipmakers have also contributed to the tech group's bullish bias, evidenced by the PHLX Semiconductor Index, which is up 1.7%. The SOX had a rough showing last week, dropping 2.3%, but today's advance leaves the index with a month-to-date loss of just 0.2%.

Dow: +221.23… | Nasdaq: +60.30… | S&P: +20.50…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1916/831. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2275/549.

10:25AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities begin the day slightly lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down 0.13% at 84.6492
Dollar index is up 0.38% at 91.70.
Oct WTI crude futures fell sharply around 8am ET and are down on the day.
Futures are $026 lower to $47.22/barrel.
In other energy, Oct natural gas is up $0.042 at $2.932/MMBtu
Precious metals trade down:
Dec gold has lost $11.90 and trades at $1339.30/oz, while Sept silver dropped $0.173 to $17.95/oz
Sept copper gained $0.0225 to $3.064/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Dec corn is $0.0175 higher at $3.585/bu.
Nov soy is up $0.01 at $9.63/bu.
Dec wheat is down $0.015 at $4.3625/bu.

Dow: +206.07… | Nasdaq: +72.83… | S&P: +21.25…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1977/768. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2253/533.

10:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices are still trading solidly higher this morning with the Dow Jones Industrial Average sporting a gain of 0.9%.

Within the Dow, Travelers (TRV 124.07, +4.20) is by far the strongest component, climbing 3.5%, as insurers cheer the continued weakening of Hurricane Irma, which was downgraded to a tropical storm earlier this morning. Irma did not cause the damage that many anticipated, losing its power relatively quickly after striking the Florida Keys on Sunday as a Category 4 storm.

On the flip side, Home Depot (HD 156.78, -2.87) is the weakest Dow component, dropping 1.8%, as Irma-related home repairs in Florida will likely be less than expected.

Dow: +184.07… | Nasdaq: +72.88… | S&P: +20.09…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 2049/666. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2216/514.

09:45AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices opened the week solidly higher. The S&P 500 currently sports a gain of 0.8% and is hovering right at its record-high close (2,480.91).

All sectors are trading in the green this morning with the top-weighted technology (+1.2%) and financials (+1.2%) groups pacing the rally. At the opposite end of the leaderboard, countercyclical groups are struggling with the lightly-weighted utilities (+0.2%) and telecom services (+0.1%) spaces clinging to slim gains.

In the bond market, Treasuries are solidly lower across the curve, pushing yields up from their lowest levels of the year. The benchmark 10-yr yield is up six basis points at 2.11%.

Dow: +181.63… | Nasdaq: +67.96… | S&P: +19.12…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 2098/593. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2223/444.

09:17AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +14.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +46.60.

Investors are looking to reclaim last week's dip--which left the S&P 500 lower by 0.6%--all at once this morning amid a weakening Hurricane Irma and following a show of restraint from North Korea. The S&P 500 futures currently trade 15 points, or 0.6%, above fair value.

Hurricane Irma, which was downgraded to a tropical storm this morning, made landfall in the Florida Keys early on Sunday as expected, but deviated from the projected 'worse-case' path, prompting investors to happily dial back their estimates for economic damage. Insurers are seeing increased buying interest as a result, evidenced by Dow component Travelers (TRV 123.05, +3.29), which is up 2.8%.

Meanwhile, the fact that North Korea did not celebrate its 69th anniversary with another missile launch over the weekend has helped alleviate fears of another showdown between Pyongyang and Washington. However, investors will still be keeping an eye on the Korean Peninsula today as the UN Security Council is expected to vote on further sanctions for the hermit nation.

Corporate news has been relatively light this morning as investors look ahead to Apple's (AAPL 160.48, +1.85) Tuesday product event, in which the tech giant will unveil its much-anticipated iPhone 8.

Outside of the equity market, safe-haven assets--like U.S. Treasuries--are selling off this morning after hitting multi-month highs on Friday. The yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note is currently up five basis points at 2.10%. Meanwhile, the 2-yr yield is up four basis points at 1.30%.

Investors will not receive any economic data on Monday.

08:51AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +14.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +44.10.

The S&P 500 futures trade 14 points, or 0.6%, above fair value.

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region began the week on a higher note, benefiting from improved risk tolerance after North Korea held off on its next missile test, which was expected to take place on the country's Founder's Day. The United Nations Security Council is expected to pass sanctions that will limit North Korea's crude and petroleum exports, but will not freeze the assets of North Korea's leader at this time. Press reports from China indicate the country is considering a future ban on internal combustion engines.

In economic data:
China's August CPI +0.4% month-over-month (expected 0.3%; last 0.1%); +1.8% year-over-year (consensus 1.6%; last 1.4%). August PPI +6.3% year-over-year (consensus 5.6%; last 5.5%)
Japan's July Core Machinery Orders +8.0% month-over-month (expected 4.4%; last -1.9%); -7.5% year-over-year (consensus -7.3%; last -5.2%). Tertiary Industry Activity Index +0.1% month-over-month, as expected (last -0.2%). M2 Money Stock +4.0% year-over-year (consensus 4.1%; last 4.0%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei rose 1.4%. Trend Micro, Sony, Eisai, Yokogawa Electric, Yamaha Motor, Furukawa Electric, Advantest, TOTO, SUMCO, Kyocera, and Bridgestone posted gains between 2.1% and 5.3%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng climbed 1.0% amid gains in most components. Apple supplier AAC Technologies jumped 2.7% while property names and financials like Sino Land, BoC Hong Kong, New World Development, SHK Properties, HSBC, Bank of China, and China Construction Bank advanced between 1.0% and 2.4%.
China's Shanghai Composite added 0.3%. Shanghai Ground Food Tech, Hongfa Technology, Nuode Investment, Tibet Summit Resources, Aluminum Corp of China, and Tongwei gained between 5.6% and 7.2%.
India's Sensex advanced 0.6%. GAIL, Larsen & Toubro, Maruti Suzuki, Hindustan Unilever, Tata Steel, and Bajaj Auto rose between 0.6% and 4.0%. Financials were mixed as HDFC Bank rose 2.0%, AXIS Bank settled flat, while ICICI Bank and SBI both lost near 0.4%.

Major European indices trade in the green with Spain's IBEX (+1.6%) outperforming, even though Catalan First Minister Carles Puigdemont rejected the authority of the Spanish federal government and the Constitutional Court, saying the Catalan parliament is the highest authority being recognized. An independence march will take place in Barcelona today, ahead of the referendum that remains scheduled for October 1. Reports indicate the German government will lobby for Bundesbank President Jens Weidmann to replace ECB President Mario Draghi when Mr. Draghi's term ends in 2019.

In economic data:
Italy's July Industrial Production +0.1% month-over-month (expected -0.3%; last 1.1%); +4.4% year-over-year (consensus 3.8%; last 5.2%)

---Equity Markets---

UK's FTSE is higher by 0.3%. Provident Financial leads with a gain of 3.7% while Prudential, Admiral Group, RSA Insurance, Standard Life, Standard Chartered, Direct Line Insurance, and Experian are up between 0.6% and 1.3%. Associated British Foods has lost 2.9% despite boosting its guidance.
Germany's DAX trades up 1.0% amid gains in all but three components. Munich Re and Allianz hold respective gains of 3.8% and 1.8% in response to lower than expected initial damage estimates for Hurricane Irma. Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank show respective gains of 2.8% and 2.1%. Automakers underperform with Daimler falling 1.5% while BMW and Volkswagen show modest gains of 0.2% and 0.4%, respectively.
France's CAC has climbed 1.0%. Financials like Societe Generale, BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, and AXA show gains between 1.4% and 1.9%. Consumer names Louis Vuitton, Vivendi, Kering, and Accor have added between 1.2% and 2.5%. On the downside, Peugeot and Renault hold respective losses of 0.9% and 0.3%.
Spain's IBEX is up 1.6% with all 35 components rising. Gamesa, Indra, Mapfre, and Cellnex Telecom have gained between 1.9% and 3.6% while financials like Santander, Caixabank, Bankia, BBVA, and Banco Sabadell are up between 1.3% and 2.4%.

08:26AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +13.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +40.40.

The S&P 500 futures currently trade 13 points, or 0.5%, above fair value.

Investors will not receive any economic data in today's session, but they will get their hands on some notable reports later in the week, including the August Producer Price Index (Briefing.com consensus +0.3%) on Wednesday, the August Consumer Price Index (Briefing.com consensus +0.3%) on Thursday, and August Retail Sales (Briefing.com consensus +0.1%) on Friday.

As for earnings, Thursday's quarterly report from Oracle (ORCL 51.62, +0.04) will be the most significant report in an otherwise quiet week.

08:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +13.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +38.60.

The U.S. equity market looks poised to reclaim a good chunk of last week's decline this morning, bolstered by a weakening Hurricane Irma and North Korea's show of restraint over the weekend. The S&P 500 futures currently trade 13 points, or 0.5%, above fair value.

Hurricane Irma made landfall in the Florida Keys on Sunday morning as a Category 4 storm, but then began to weaken relatively quickly, dialing back estimates for economic damage. Early this morning, Irma was downgraded to a Category 1 storm with forecasts predicting that it will be demoted to a tropical storm by the day's end.

In geopolitics, many were anticipating that North Korea would celebrate the 69th anniversary of its founding with another missile launch this weekend, but Pyongyang decided against it, helping to alleviate fears of another showdown with the U.S. On a related note, the United Nations Security Council could vote as early as today on further sanctions for the hermit nation.

The risk-on tone has put safe-haven assets--like U.S. Treasuries, gold, and the Japanese yen--under pressure this morning after all three finished last week at multi-month highs. The yen has dropped 0.7% against the U.S. dollar to 108.61, while gold has fallen 0.8% to $1,340.79/ozt. Meanwhile, the yield on the benchmark 10-yr Treasury note is up four basis points at 2.10%.

Also of note, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 11.25, -0.87), which is often referred to as the "investor fear gauge", has dropped 7.2% this morning, hitting its lowest level in over a week.

Investors will not receive any notable economic data on Monday.

In U.S. corporate news:

Travelers (TRV 122.95, +3.19): +2.7% after Hurricane Irma turned out to be less than many were predicting.
Snap (SNAP 15.15, -0.19): -1.2% after SNAP shares were downgraded to 'Hold' from 'Buy' at Deutsche Bank.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region began the week on a higher note, benefiting from improved risk tolerance after North Korea held off on its next missile test, which was expected to take place on the country's Founder's Day. Japan's Nikkei +1.4%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng +1.0%, China's Shanghai Composite +0.3%, India's Sensex +0.6%.
In economic data:
China's August CPI +0.4% month-over-month (expected 0.3%; last 0.1%); +1.8% year-over-year (consensus 1.6%; last 1.4%). August PPI +6.3% year-over-year (consensus 5.6%; last 5.5%)
Japan's July Core Machinery Orders +8.0% month-over-month (expected 4.4%; last -1.9%); -7.5% year-over-year (consensus -7.3%; last -5.2%). Tertiary Industry Activity Index +0.1% month-over-month, as expected (last -0.2%). M2 Money Stock +4.0% year-over-year (consensus 4.1%; last 4.0%)
In news:
The United Nations Security Council is expected to pass sanctions that will limit North Korea's crude and petroleum exports, but will not freeze the assets of North Korea's leader at this time.
Press reports from China indicate the country is considering a future ban on internal combustion engines.

Major European indices trade in the green. UK's FTSE 0.5%, Germany's DAX +1.1%, France's CAC +1.1%, Spain's IBEX +1.5%.
In economic data:
Italy's July Industrial Production +0.1% month-over-month (expected -0.3%; last 1.1%); +4.4% year-over-year (consensus 3.8%; last 5.2%)
In news:
In Spain, Catalan First Minister Carles Puigdemont rejected the authority of the Spanish federal government and the Constitutional Court, saying the Catalan parliament is the highest authority being recognized. An independence march will take place in Barcelona today, ahead of the referendum that remains scheduled for October 1.
Reports indicate the German government will lobby for Bundesbank President Jens Weidmann to replace ECB President Mario Draghi when Mr. Draghi's term ends in 2019.

05:52AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +15.40. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +47.10.

[BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei

...19546...+271.00

...+1.40%

. Hang Seng

...27955...+286.70

...+1.00%

[BRIEFING.COM] FTSE

...7426.49...+48.90

...+0.70%

. DAX

...12441.55...+137.60

...+1.10%

04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices closed out the abbreviated week on a mixed note as investors looked ahead to the weekend, which could see Hurricane Irma's arrival in Florida and another North Korean missile test in celebration of the country's 69th anniversary. The Dow ticked up 0.1% while the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq settled with losses of 0.2% and 0.6%, respectively. For the week, the S&P 500 lost 0.6%.

Property and casualty insurers bounced back on Friday after spending recent weeks on the decline in response to hurricane-related concerns. Travelers (TRV 119.76, +4.58) was the strongest component within the Dow and among the strongest names within the heavily-weighted financial sector, which settled at the top of the sector standings. TRV shares climbed 4.0%.

In total, four sectors finished Friday's session in the green--financials (+0.8%), industrials (+0.3%), health care (+0.4%), and utilities (+0.4%)--while seven groups ended the day in the red--consumer discretionary (-0.4%), energy (-1.1%), materials (unch), technology (-0.9%), consumer staples (-0.7%), telecom services (-0.1%), and real estate (unch).

Chipmakers weighed heavily on the technology sector, evidenced by the PHLX Semiconductor Index, which dropped 1.3%. Qualcomm (QCOM 49.64, -0.74) lost 1.5% after a federal judged denied the company's bid to dismiss a patent-royalty lawsuit, allowing Apple (AAPL 158.63, -2.63) manufacturers to continue withholding royalty payments as the case continues.

Elsewhere, retailers struggled after Target (TGT 57.27, -1.15) announced that it is cutting prices on thousands of items and Kroger (KR 21.06, -1.71) said that it will stop providing long-term earnings guidance due to the "dynamic operating environment." The companies' shares moved lower by 2.0% and 7.5%, respectively.

Equifax (EFX 123.23, -19.49) plunged 13.7% after announcing that around 143 million of its U.S. customers had their personal information stolen in a data hack. Reports indicate that the company first discovered the compromise in late July and three senior executives sold about $1.7 million in stock soon thereafter.

In Washington, the House passed President Trump's Wednesday agreement with Democratic lawmakers, which packages Hurricane Harvey relief funding with a three-month extension of both government funding and the debt ceiling. The bill, which passed the Senate on Thursday, now just needs President Trump's signature.

U.S. Treasuries settled Friday mostly flat with the benchmark 10-yr yield closing at its unchanged mark (2.06%). Meanwhile, the 2-yr yield moved two basis points lower, finishing at 1.25%.

Reviewing Friday's economic data, which included July Wholesale Inventories and July Consumer Credit:

July Wholesale Inventories increased 0.6% (Briefing.com consensus +0.4%). The prior month's reading was revised to +0.6% from +0.7%.
The Consumer Credit report for July showed an increase of $18.5 billion while the Briefing.com consensus expected growth of $15.0 billion. The prior month's credit growth was revised to $11.9 billion from $12.4 billion.
Provided consumers weren't making greater use of revolving credit lines to cover basic needs due to a shortfall in income, this report can ostensibly be looked upon as a good sign for the economy since the expansion of credit is an integral contributor to economic growth. It is hard to say, though, because there isn't enough detail in the report and it is often subject to large revisions, which is why the market rarely shows much reaction to it.

Investors will not receive any economic data on Monday.

Nasdaq Composite +18.2% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +10.3% YTD
S&P 500 +9.9% YTD
Russell 2000 +3.1% YTD

Week In Review: Still Within Striking Distance

The major U.S. indices all moved lower this week as geopolitical tensions with North Korea, declining confidence in the feasibility of tax reform, and Hurricane Irma--which is expected to hit Florida this weekend--weighed on investor sentiment. The Nasdaq led the retreat, dropping 1.2%, while the Dow and the S&P 500 finished with respective losses of 0.9% and 0.6%.

Even though the equity market settled lower for the week, it remains within striking distance of its all-time high; the S&P 500 finished Friday's session just 0.8% below its record-high close of 2,480.91. Treasuries rallied this week, sending yields to new lows for the year. The benchmark 10-yr yield dropped 11 basis points to 2.06%, hitting its lowest level since early November.

Similarly, other safe-haven assets--like gold and the Japanese yen--moved higher, jumping 1.6% and 2.3%, respectively. The yellow metal settled at a 13-month high ($1,351.10/ozt) while the dollar/yen pair finished at a ten-month low (107.78). In addition, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) spiked 20.2% to 12.18. The financial sector (-2.8%) was pressured by the decline in Treasury yields, but most of the remaining groups finished with losses of no more than 1.1%.

Relative strength in heavyweight names like Home Depot (HD), Exxon Mobil (XOM), and Pfizer (PFE) prevented the stock market from a significant decline, but there were some soft spots in small-cap and high-beta pockets of the market. The small-cap Russell 2000--which is seen as a leading indicator given that small-cap companies largely rely on domestic consumers--underperformed, dropping 1.0%. After pacing the stock market's post-election rally, the small-cap index now holds a year-to-date gain of just 3.1%, far below the S&P 500's year-to-date advance of 9.9%.

High-beta chipmakers also struggled, sending the PHLX Semiconductor Index lower by 2.3%. Large-cap names like Qualcomm (QCOM) and NVIDIA (NVDA) showed particular weakness, settling with losses of 4.6% and 4.0%, respectively. Still, for the year, the PHLX Semiconductor Index is higher by 20.6%.

Following this week's events, the fed funds futures market places the chances of a December rate hike at 31.9%, down from last week's 43.7%.

Dow: +13.01… | Nasdaq: -37.68… | S&P: -3.67…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1371/1254. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1377/1546.

Image Price Action Trading @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm

Image Trade Strategies via Volatility Analysis @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm

Image Review of TheStrategyLab @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167

Image TheStrategyLab Review @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. Also, thank you for the review of TheStrategyLab performance record...hopefully the links will be useful for you. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Online user name wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com