TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: August 15th Tuesday Trade Results - Profits $1787.50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
TheStrategyLab Reviews: http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm
Price Action Trading: http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
081517-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+1787.50.png
081517-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+1787.50.png [ 97.33 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $1787.50 dollars or +35.75 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $1787.50 dollars

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis.

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log: All of my live trades are posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room via the user name wrbtrader for anyone to do a real-time review. The live trade is posted 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can review today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility even though the free chat room is not design to be an education chat room because the education is only performed at the forums in the private threads. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=2623

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of TheStrategyLab free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. In addition, we highly recommend that you use the free chat room with a professional trade journal software like tradebench.com, edgewonk.com, tradervue.com, tradingdiarypro.com, stocktickr.com, journalsqrd.com, tradingdiary.pro, mxprofit.com or trademetria.com because they can provide you with the quantitative statistical analysis of your trading. You can then download your results and post them in your private thread at the forum. Also, you can use TheStrategyLab free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post your brokerage statements in your private thread for security reasons. TheStrategyLab free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages, many different mobile apps and many different types of social media software can be used to log in. I'm the moderator of the free chat room via the user name wrbtrader. Thus, I keep the peace between members without hesitation in removing trouble makers so that members can peacefully post their market observations, trades, WRB Analysis commentary about the markets without being trolled.

TheStrategyLab free chat room is not for traders looking for someone to hold their hands and tell them when to buy or sell. TheStrategyLab is for you to post your real-time analysis or trades so that you can review as feedback for any trading day to provide valuable information about the results in your broker statements. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below for you to review are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=327&t=3486 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives for easy review to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
081517-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
081517-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 848.03 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

The Market at 04:30PM ET
Dow: +5.28… | Nasdaq: -7.22… | S&P: -1.23…
NASDAQ Vol: 1.57 bln… Adv: 944… Dec: 1914…
NYSE Vol: 700.8 mln… Adv: 1064… Dec: 1852…

Moving the Market

Rate-hike expectations jump after July Retail Sales come in hotter than expected (+0.6% actual vs +0.3% Briefing.com consensus)

Retailers weigh following largely negative reaction on the earnings front

North Korea decides against launching missiles towards Guam

Sector Watch
Strong: Financials, Technology, Consumer Staples, Utilities
Weak: Consumer Discretionary, Energy, Telecom Services, Real Estate
04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Wall Street followed up Monday's rally with a rather dull, range-bound session on Tuesday that left the major averages little changed. The Dow (unch) eked out a narrow victory while the S&P 500 (-0.1%) and the Nasdaq (-0.1%) each settled just a tick below their unchanged marks. Small caps underperformed, sending the Russell 2000 lower by 0.8%.

Investors rolled into pre-market action on Tuesday with a boost of confidence following news that North Korea's Supreme leader Kim Jong-un has decided against launching missiles towards the U.S. territory of Guam, which he threatened to do last week. However, he did warn that he could change his mind "if the Yankees persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions."

A hotter than expected July Retail Sales Report (+0.6% actual vs +0.3% Briefing.com consensus) tempered the upbeat sentiment, though, forcing investors to rethink their rate-hike expectations. At the closing bell, the fed funds futures market assigned an implied probability of 55.2% to a December rate hike, up from 37.4% on Monday.

U.S. Treasuries slid to new lows following the retail sales release, pushing the benchmark 10-yr yield as high as 2.28%. In the end, the 10-yr yield finished five basis points higher at 2.27% and the 2-yr yield finished four basis points higher at 1.35%. Underpinned by the increase in interest rates, the U.S. Dollar Index (93.72, +0.38) advanced 0.4%.

The most influential sectors--technology (+0.2%) and financials (+0.2%)--exhibited relative strength throughout the session, helping to keep losses in check. The financial space opened with a gain of around 1.0%, but began fading almost immediately. The technology group was underpinned by yet another positive performance from Apple (AAPL 161.60, +1.75), which climbed 1.1% to a new all-time high.

In addition to technology and financials, the utilities (+0.5%), consumer staples (+0.5%), and materials (unch) sectors finished in positive territory. On the flip side, the consumer discretionary (-0.9%), industrials (-0.2%), energy (-0.4%), health care (unch), telecom services (-1.0%), and real estate (-0.3%) groups closed in the red.

Retailers headlined the earnings front after names like Home Depot (HD 150.17, -4.09), TJX (TJX 70.16, +0.54), Coach (COH 40.64, -7.28), Advance Auto (AAP 87.08, -22.24), and Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 26.87, -8.04) delivered their quarterly results. The reactions were largely negative as four of the five aforementioned companies finished in negative territory.

Dick's Sporting Goods, Advanced Auto, and Coach plunged 23.0%, 20.3%, and 15.2%, respectively, after all three companies lowered their outlooks for the fiscal year. AAP and DKS also missed earnings estimates while COH came up short on revenue expectations. Meanwhile, Home Depot dropped 2.7% despite beating bottom-line estimates and raising its guidance.

TJX was the lone advancer, climbing 0.8%, in reaction to better than expected earnings. The SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 38.59, -1.07) dropped 2.7% to close at its worst level since February 2016.

Reviewing Tuesday's big batch of economic data, which included July Retail Sales, July Import/Export Prices, June Business Inventories, August Empire Manufacturing, and the August NAHB Housing Market Index:

July retail sales increased 0.6%, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of +0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.3% from -0.2%. Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.5% while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.1% from -0.2%. Core retail sales, which exclude auto, gasoline station, building materials, and food services & drinking places sales, increased 0.5% and the June decline of 0.1% was revised to an uptick of 0.1%.
Core retail sales is the component that factors into the PCE goods component of the GDP report, so the key takeaway from the retail sales data is that it points to a rebound in spending on consumer goods in July after a weak finish to the second quarter. This should be a positive input for Q2 GDP models.
Import prices excluding oil declined 0.1% in July after rising 0.1% in June. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.3% in July after finishing flat in June.
The key takeaway from the report is that inflation readings remain low, but there are some hints of a possible turn in the near future.
Business Inventories rose 0.5% in June, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of 0.4%. The prior month's reading was left unrevised at +0.3%.
The key takeaway from the report is that while sales have increased, the pace of growth was below that of inventories. This means there are still some hurdles in the way of restoration of pricing power.
The Empire Manufacturing Survey for August rose to 25.2 from the prior month's reading of 9.8. The Briefing.com consensus estimate was pegged at 13.0.
The NAHB Housing Market Index for August rose to 68 (Briefing.com consensus 65) from an unrevised reading of 64 in July.

On Wednesday, investors will receive just two pieces of economic data--the weekly MBA Mortgage Applications Index and July Housing Starts (Briefing.com consensus 1.217 million). The two reports will be released at 7:00 ET and 8:30 ET, respectively.

Also of note, the minutes from the July 25-26 FOMC meeting will be released at 14:00 ET.

Nasdaq Composite +17.7% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +11.3% YTD
S&P 500 +10.1% YTD
Russell 2000 +1.9% YTD

Dow: +5.28… | Nasdaq: -7.22… | S&P: -1.23…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 944/1914. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1064/1852.

02:55PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hover near their unchanged marks with one hour remaining in today's session.

Five of the eleven sectors are currently trading in the green, including the financials (+0.4%), technology (+0.2%), health care (+0.1%), consumer staples (+0.5%), and utilities (+0.3%) groups. On the flip side, the consumer discretionary (-0.8%), industrials (-0.2%), energy (-0.5%), materials (-0.1%), telecom services (-1.1%), and real estate (-0.6%) spaces are underperforming.

On the earnings front, Urban Outfitters (URBN 17.00, -0.73) will report its quarterly results this evening while Target (TGT 54.67, -1.12) and Staples (SPLS 10.20, -0.01) will step up to the plate tomorrow morning.

Dow: +4.81… | Nasdaq: -5.53… | S&P: -0.26…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1007/1912. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1065/1855.

02:40PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities end the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down 0.71% at 82.5259.
Dollar index is up 0.47% at 93.85.
Sept WTI crude is down slightly on the day.
Futures settled $0.01 lower to $47.58/barrel.
API inventory data will be released after the bell at 4:30pm ET.
In other energy, Sept natural gas settled down $0.02 at $2.94/MMBtu
Metals were lower across the board:
Dec gold lost $10.73 to settle at $1279.40/oz, while September silver dropped $0.42 to $16.71/oz
September copper lost $0.02 to $2.88/lb
Finally, agriculture:
September corn is $0.07 lower at $3.69/bu.
November soy is down $0.12 at $9.25/bu.
September wheat is down $0.12 at $4.28/bu.

Dow: +11.68… | Nasdaq: -2.79… | S&P: +0.51…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1038/1880. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1070/1838.

02:35PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have ticked up slightly since the last update with the S&P 500 now hovering at its unchanged mark.

Transports are trading a step above the broader market this afternoon, evidenced by the 0.2% increase in the Dow Jones Transportation Average. The DJTA has had a strong month so far, climbing 2.0%. For comparison, the S&P 500 currently holds a month-to-date loss of 0.2%.

Southwest Airlines (LUV 55.33, +0.61), JB Hunt Transport (JBHT 97.29, +0.98), and CH Robinson (CHRW 67.90, +0.75) trade at the top of the DJTA leaderboard with gains of 1.1% apiece while Alaska Air (ALK 83.83, -1.26) hovers at the bottom with a loss of 1.5%.

Dow: +7.73… | Nasdaq: -2.86… | S&P: +0.28…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1033/1872. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1063/1838.

02:00PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices are slightly lower this afternoon with the Nasdaq (-0.2%) showing relative weakness.

Investors have lacked conviction to move the market one way or the other today, which has made for a relatively uneventful session thus far. Excluding a little volatility at the open, the S&P 500 has stayed within a two-point range, never trading more than 0.1% above, or 0.2% below, its flat line.

Conversely, the bond market has seen notable movement. The benchmark 10-yr yield currently trades four basis points above its flat line at 2.26%, but has traded as high as 2.28% and as low as 2.23%.

Dow: -13.11… | Nasdaq: -8.64… | S&P: -1.96…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 971/1935. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1019/1877.

01:35PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices remain in negative territory, showing marginal losses at this time as stocks take a breather following yesterday's rally.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows that Home Depot (HD 149.79, -4.47), Nike (NKE 58.60, -1.18), & Intel (INTC 35.89, -0.45) are underperforming. Home Depot is leading the Dow lower despite reporting strong quarterly results this morning in which the do-it-yourself giant lifted its fiscal year outlook as investors took note of cautious comments made by the company on their conference call regarding gross margin expectations. Meanwhile, Nike is seeing noteworthy selling pressure after Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 27.71, -7.20) reported light quarterly results this morning and slashed its outlook.

Conversely, American Express (AXP 86.65, +1.18) is the best-performing Dow component as financials display relative strength in today's session.

Despite small losses today, the DJIA is currently up 0.47% so far in August.

Dow: -6.14… | Nasdaq: -5.79… | S&P: -1.87…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 978/1911. …NYSE Adv/Dec 990/1890.

01:05PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices are little changed this afternoon following a range-bound first half of Tuesday's session. The S&P 500 (unch) has drifted within a seven-point range since the opening bell. Small caps have shown relative weakness, sending the small-cap Russell 2000 lower by 0.6%.

The positive sentiment surrounding yesterday's bounce-back performance continued to linger on Wall Street this morning after the North Korean state media said that Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un has decided against launching missiles towards the U.S. territory of Guam, which he threatened to do last week.

However, rate-hike concerns dialed back the bullish bias following a larger than expected increase in July retail sales (+0.6% actual vs +0.3% Briefing.com consensus). In addition, core retail sales, which exclude auto, gasoline stations, building materials, and food services & drinking places sales, increased 0.5%. Both the June retail sales and core retail sales readings were revised upward to +0.3% (from -0.2%) and +0.1% (from -0.1%), respectively.

Core retail sales is the component that factors into the PCE goods component of the GDP report, so the key takeaway from the retail sales data is that it points to a rebound in spending on consumer goods in July after a weak finish to the second quarter. Following the data, the fed funds futures market now assigns an implied probability of 49.8% to a December rate hike, up from yesterday's 37.4%.

Unsurprisingly, U.S. Treasuries have taken a hit today, pushing yields higher across the curve; the benchmark 10-yr yield is hovering three basis points higher at 2.25%. Meanwhile, the U.S. Dollar Index (93.71, +0.38) has jumped 0.4% in reaction to the increase in interest rates.

The S&P 500's three most influential sectors--technology (+0.4%), financials (+0.4%), and health care (+0.2%)--are trading in the green, but their relatively positive performances have been largely mitigated by notable losses from the consumer discretionary (-0.7%), industrials (-0.3%), energy (-0.9%), telecom services (-0.9%), and real estate (-0.7%) sectors.

Retailers have weighed on the consumer discretionary sector, evidenced by the 2.2% decrease in the SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 38.80, -0.86), following the latest batch of earnings. Home Depot (HD 150.05, -4.21), TJX (TJX 70.08, +0.46), Coach (COH 41.76, -6.17), Advance Auto (AAP 85.49, -23.82), and Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 27.91, -6.99) all reported their quarterly results this morning. The reactions have been mostly negative, sending four of the five aforementioned companies into the red.

Advanced Auto, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Coach have plunged 21.8%, 20.2%, and 13.0%, respectively, after all three companies lowered their outlooks for the fiscal year. AAP and DKS also missed earnings estimates while COH came up short on revenue expectations. Meanwhile, Home Depot is down 2.7% despite beating bottom-line estimates and raising its guidance.

Conversely, TJX has jumped 0.7% in reaction to better than expected earnings.

Reviewing Tuesday's big batch of economic data, which included July Retail Sales, July Import/Export Prices, June Business Inventories, August Empire Manufacturing, and the August NAHB Housing Market Index:

July retail sales increased 0.6%, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of +0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.3% from -0.2%. Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.5% while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.1% from -0.2%. Core retail sales, which exclude auto, gasoline station, building materials, and food services & drinking places sales, increased 0.5% and the June decline of 0.1% was revised to an uptick of 0.1%.
Core retail sales is the component that factors into the PCE goods component of the GDP report, so the key takeaway from the retail sales data is that it points to a rebound in spending on consumer goods in July after a weak finish to the second quarter. This should be a positive input for Q2 GDP models.
Import prices excluding oil declined 0.1% in July after rising 0.1% in June. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.3% in July after finishing flat in June.
The key takeaway from the report is that inflation readings remain low, but there are some hints of a possible turn in the near future.
Business Inventories rose 0.5% in June, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of 0.4%. The prior month's reading was left unrevised at +0.3%.
The key takeaway from the report is that while sales have increased, the pace of growth was below that of inventories. This means there are still some hurdles in the way of restoration of pricing power.
The Empire Manufacturing Survey for August rose to 25.2 from the prior month's reading of 9.8. The Briefing.com consensus estimate was pegged at 13.0.
The NAHB Housing Market Index for August rose to 68 (Briefing.com consensus 65) from an unrevised reading of 64 in July.

Dow: -8.54… | Nasdaq: -6.88… | S&P: -2.72…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 951/1932. …NYSE Adv/Dec 943/1919.

12:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have not changed since the last update.

Apple (AAPL 161.55, +1.70) has climbed solidly higher today, adding 1.1%, which places the tech giant on track for a record-high close. The company's outperformance has helped keep the top-weighted technology sector (+0.3%) afloat in today's session and extends Apple's already massive year-to-date gain to 39.5%.

Meanwhile, the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 12.05, -0.28) is down 2.2% and on track to register its third-consecutive decline. The VIX has been ticking down since hitting a four-month high last Thursday.

Dow: +8.19… | Nasdaq: -1.28… | S&P: +0.01…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1020/1845. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1006/1847.

11:55AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages continue drifting along into the afternoon session with all three hovering just a tick below their respective flat lines.

Investors have pushed up their rate-hike expectations today following the Retail Sales Report for July, which showed a larger than expected increase of 0.6% (Briefing.com consensus +0.3%). In addition, the June reading was revised to +0.3% from -0.2%. Core retail sales, which exclude auto, gasoline station, building materials, and food services & drinking places sales, increased 0.5% and the June decline of 0.1% was revised to an uptick of 0.1%.

Core retail sales is the component that factors into the PCE goods component of the GDP report, so the key takeaway from the retail sales data is that it points to a rebound in spending on consumer goods in July after a weak finish to the second quarter.

The fed funds futures market now points to the December FOMC meeting as the most likely time for the next rate-hike announcement with an implied probability of 55.2%, up from yesterday's 37.4%.

Dow: -3.87… | Nasdaq: -8.95… | S&P: -2.34…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 946/1888. …NYSE Adv/Dec 957/1890.

11:30AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue hovering at their unchanged marks.

Retailers were well represented on the earnings front this morning with Home Depot (HD 150.27, -3.99), TJX (TJX 71.55, +1.93), Coach (COH 41.46, -6.46), Advance Auto (AAP 84.25, -25.07), and Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 28.42, -6.49) all reporting their quarterly results. The reactions have been mostly negative, sending four of the five aforementioned companies into the red.

Advanced Auto, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Coach have plunged 23.7%, 18.5%, and 13.3%, respectively, after all three companies lowered their outlooks for the fiscal year. AAP and DKS also missed earnings estimates while COH came up short on revenue expectations. Meanwhile, Home Depot is down 2.4% despite beating bottom-line estimates and raising its guidance.

Conversely, TJX has jumped 3.0% in reaction to better than expected earnings. The SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 38.79, -0.87) is down 2.2%, hovering at its worst level in a month.

Dow: +2.75… | Nasdaq: -4.21… | S&P: -0.94…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 999/1826. …NYSE Adv/Dec 960/1866.

11:00AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Tuesday's session has been range-bound thus far, leaving the major U.S. indices little changed.

The heavily-weighted financial sector still exhibits relative strength, but has trimmed its gain to 0.4% from 1.0%--which it hit in the opening minutes. The top-weighted technology sector (+0.2%) also trades ahead of the broader market, as do the health care (+0.3%), consumer staples (+0.3%), and utilities (+0.2%) spaces, but the combined effort has been offset by sizable losses from the consumer discretionary (-0.7%), energy (-0.8%), telecom services (-0.9%), and real estate (-0.8%) groups.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries are trading lower across the curve, but selling has been heaviest at the back end. The 10-yr yield is up five basis points at 2.27% while the 2-yr yield is up just two basis points at 1.34%.

Dow: +4.15… | Nasdaq: -5.26… | S&P: -1.40…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1037/1746. …NYSE Adv/Dec 959/1848.

10:40AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] Commodities begin the day lower:

Overall, commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index, are currently down 0.74% at 82.5010
Dollar index is currently up 0.57% at 93.94.
Sept WTI crude is down on the day.
API inventory data will be released after the bell today at 4:30pm ET.
Futures are $0.35 lower to $47.24/barrel.
In other energy, Sept natural gas is down $0.01 at $2.949/MMBtu
Metals are getting pummeled:
Dec gold lost $13.80 and trades at $1276.60/oz, while Sept silver dropped $0.512 to $16.61/oz
Sept copper gained $0.0175 to $2.887/lb
Finally, agriculture:
Sept corn is down $0.0475 at $3.715/bu.
Nov soy is down $0.08 at $9.3025/bu.
Sept wheat is down $0.0775 at $4.3325/bu.

Dow: -1.7… | Nasdaq: -10.72… | S&P: -2.47…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 967/1768. …NYSE Adv/Dec 931/1849.

10:05AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hover near their unchanged marks.

Just in, Business Inventories rose 0.5% in June, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of 0.4%. The prior month's reading was left unrevised at +0.3%.

Separately, the NAHB Housing Market Index for August rose to 68 (Briefing.com consensus 65) from an unrevised reading of 64 in July.

Dow: +19.67… | Nasdaq: -1.94… | S&P: +0.86…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1110/1548. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1035/1648.

09:45AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages opened Tuesday's session slightly higher with the S&P 500 sporting a gain of 0.1%.

Only four of the eleven sectors--financials (+0.8%), technology (+0.1%), health care (unch), and consumer staples (+0.1%)--are trading in the green. The outperformance of the financial sector has been key in keeping the major averages in the green this morning as the group represents around 15.0% of the broader market.

On the flip side, the lightly-weighted real estate (-0.7%) and telecom services (-0.7%) sectors trade at the bottom of the sector standings. The consumer discretionary (-0.3%) and energy (-0.4%) groups also show notable weakness.

Dow: +26.69… | Nasdaq: +3.00… | S&P: +1.29…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 1085/1488. …NYSE Adv/Dec 1144/1460.

09:15AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market cruised to a comfortable victory on Monday as investors launched yet another 'buy-the-dip' campaign on the heels of last week's slide. The upbeat sentiment continues to linger this morning and has been further strengthened by news that North Korea will not launch missiles towards the U.S. territory of Guam, which it threatened to do last week. The S&P 500 futures currently trade six points, or 0.2%, above fair value.

North Korean state media said on Tuesday that Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un has decided against launching missiles towards the island of Guam after examining a military plan presented to him by his senior officers. In addition, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that the U.S. would need South Korea's consent in order to take military action on the Korean Peninsula, something he wants to prevent by all means.

Safe-haven assets are trading lower amid this morning's risk-on sentiment; gold is down 1.3% at $1,274.05/ozt, the Japanese yen has dropped 1.1% against the U.S. dollar to 110.81, and the benchmark 10-yr yield, which moves inversely to the price of the 10-yr U.S. Treasury note, is up six basis points at 2.28%.

Investors received a sizable batch of economic data earlier this morning, which was highlighted by better than expected retail sales for July:

July retail sales increased 0.6%, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of +0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.3% from -0.2%. Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.5% while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.1% from -0.2%.

Tuesday's last economic reports--June Business Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.4%) and the August NAHB Housing Market Index (Briefing.com consensus 65)--will be released at 10:00 ET.

In earnings news, a host of retailers reported their quarterly results this morning with the reactions being largely negative thus far. Advance Auto (AAP 92.83, -16.49) and Coach (COH 43.30, -4.62) have plunged 15.1% and 9.6%, respectively, following their latest reports. AAP missed earnings estimates while COH missed on revenues and issued below-consensus guidance.

Dow component Home Depot (HD 153.34, -0.91) is also down, dropping 0.6%, despite beating bottom-line estimates and raising its guidance. However, on a positive note, TJX (TJX 70.00, +0.38) is up 0.6% after beating earnings estimates.

08:54AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +4.80. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +14.60.

The S&P 500 futures trade five points, or 0.2%, above fair value.

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended Tuesday on a mostly higher note, climbing after it was reported that North Korea's Supreme leader Kim Jong-un decided to forego the plan to launch missiles towards Guam. China's Commerce Ministry expressed hope for prudence when reviewing allegations of intellectual property theft by China. This comes after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered trade representative Robert Lighthizer to begin an investigation. The Reserve Bank of Australia's policy minutes highlighted the disinflationary impact of Aussie strength.

In economic data:
Japan's June Industrial Production +2.2% month-over-month (expected 1.6%; last 1.6%) and June Capacity Utilization +2.1% month-over-month (last -4.1%)
China's July New Loans CNY825.50 billion (expected CNY800.00 billion; last CNY1.54 trillion). July M2 Money Stock +9.2% year-over-year (consensus 9.4%; last 9.4%)
South Korea's July trade surplus KRW10.30 billion (expected surplus of KRW10.65 billion; last surplus of KRW10.65 billion). July Imports +15.5% year-over-year (expected 14.5%; last 14.5%) and July Exports +19.5% year-over-year, as expected (last 19.5%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei climbed 1.1% with Fujifilm Holdings surging 7.7% in reaction to better than expected results. Toshiba spiked 5.3% while Showa Denko, Yaskawa Electric, Tosoh, Panasonic, Shiseido, NKSJ Holdings, Tokyo Electron, and Trend Micro climbed between 1.9% and 5.2%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 0.3%. Energy-related names underperformed with China Shenhua Energy, China Petrol & Chemical, PetroChina, and CNOOC losing between 1.2% and 3.9%. On the upside, financials like ICBC, Bank of China, and Ping An Insurance added between 0.2% and 3.2%.
China's Shanghai Composite rose 0.4%. Tellhow Sci-Tech, Henan Taloph Pharmaceutical, Guanghui Logistics, Sinomach Automobile, and China Shipbuilding Industry Group rallied between 4.6% and 7.3%.
India's Sensex was closed for Independence Day

Major European indices trade on a higher note while Italy's MIB is closed for Assumption Day. Economic data from the region featured cooler than expected UK CPI for the second consecutive month. However, on a year-over-year basis, CPI is still up 2.6%. Germany's preliminary Q2 GDP was shy of expectations. Germany's Constitutional Court will not hear a challenge to the ECB's asset purchase program, instead referring the case to the European Court of Justice. Last year, the ECJ ruled in favor of continuing emergency bond purchases under the ECB's Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) program, suggesting the challenge is unlikely to be successful.

In economic data:
Germany's Q2 GDP +0.6% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.7%; last 0.7%); +0.8% year-over-year (expected 1.9%; last 3.2%)
UK's July CPI -0.1% month-over-month (expected 0.0%; last 0.0%); +2.6% year-over-year (consensus 2.7%; last 2.6%). July core CPI +2.4% year-over-year (consensus 2.5%; last 2.4%). July Input PPI 0.0% month-over-month (expected 0.5%; last -0.3%); +6.5% year-over-year (consensus 7.0%; last 10.0%). July Output PPI +0.1% month-over-month (expected 0.0%; last 0.0%); +3.2% year-over-year (consensus 3.1%; last 3.3%). House Prices +4.9% year-over-year (consensus 4.3%; last 5.0%)
Swiss July PPI 0.0% month-over-month, as expected (last -0.1%); -0.1% year-over-year (consensus 0.0%; last -0.1%)

---Equity Markets---

Germany's DAX is higher by 0.5% with countercyclical names in the lead. E.On, Fresenius, RWE, and Deutsche Post show gains between 0.9% and 1.9%. Automakers Daimler, Volkswagen, and BMW are up between 0.3% and 1.0%. On the downside, Henkel, Merck, and Infineon are down between 0.1% and 1.0%.
UK's FTSE trades up 0.5% as financials and select consumer names outperform. Old Mutual, Standard Life, Standard Chartered, RBS, Lloyds Banking, and Prudential have added between 0.5% and 1.9% while Diageo, Paddy Power, Tesco, Sainsbury, and Carnival are up between 0.8% and 1.8%.
France's CAC has gained 0.6%. Danone leads with a gain of 1.9% after it was reported that Corvex Management holds a stake in the company it sees as undervalued. Automakers Renault and Peugeot hold respective gains of 1.2% and 0.9% while financials BNP Paribas, Societe Generale, and Credit Agricole are up between 0.7% and 1.3%.

08:35AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +5.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +19.40.

The S&P 500 futures currently trade five points, or 0.2%, above fair value.

Just in, July retail sales increased 0.6%, which is above the Briefing.com consensus of +0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.3% from -0.2%. Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.5% while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 0.3%. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.3% from -0.2%.

Separately, import prices excluding oil declined 0.1% in July after rising 0.1% in June. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.3% in July after finishing flat in June.

07:58AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +5.60. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +19.60.

Equity futures are in the green again this morning as tensions between the U.S. and North Korea continue to subside, giving Wall Street an opportunity for its third win in a row. The S&P 500 futures currently trade six points, or 0.2%, above fair value.

North Korean state media said on Tuesday that Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un has decided against a plan to launch missiles towards the U.S. territory of Guam, which he threatened to do last week. In addition, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said that the U.S. would need South Korea's consent in order to take military action on the Korean Peninsula, something he wants to prevent by all means.

Safe-haven assets are trading lower amid this morning's risk-on sentiment; gold is down 0.8% at $1,279.62/ozt, the Japanese yen has dropped 0.7% against the U.S. dollar to 110.43, and the benchmark 10-yr yield, which moves inversely to the price of the 10-yr U.S. Treasury note, is up four basis points at 2.26%.

Investors will receive a big batch of economic data this morning with July Retail Sales (Briefing.com consensus 0.3%), July Import/Export Prices, and August Empire Manufacturing (Briefing.com consensus 13) all crossing the wires at 8:30 ET. Then, at 10:00 ET, June Business Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.4%) and the August NAHB Housing Market Index (Briefing.com consensus 65) will be released.

In U.S. corporate news:

Home Depot (HD 153.80, -0.46): -0.3% despite beating bottom-line estimates and raising its guidance.
Coach (COH 44.75, -3.17): -6.6% after missing revenue estimates and issuing below-consensus guidance.
Advance Auto (AAP 95.76, -13.56): -12.4% after reporting worse than expected earnings.
Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 28.80, -6.11): -17.5% after missing bottom-line estimates and lowering its guidance.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Equity indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended Tuesday on a mostly higher note, climbing after it was reported that North Korea's Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un decided to forego the plan to launch missiles towards Guam. Japan's Nikkei +1.1%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng -0.3%, China's Shanghai Composite +0.4%. India's Sensex was closed for Independence Day.
In economic data:
Japan's June Industrial Production +2.2% month-over-month (expected 1.6%; last 1.6%) and June Capacity Utilization +2.1% month-over-month (last -4.1%)
China's July New Loans CNY825.50 billion (expected CNY800.00 billion; last CNY1.54 trillion). July M2 Money Stock +9.2% year-over-year (consensus 9.4%; last 9.4%)
South Korea's July trade surplus KRW10.30 billion (expected surplus of KRW10.65 billion; last surplus of KRW10.65 billion). July Imports +15.5% year-over-year (expected 14.5%; last 14.5%) and July Exports +19.5% year-over-year, as expected (last 19.5%)
In news:
China's Commerce Ministry expressed hope for prudence when reviewing allegations of intellectual property theft by China. This comes after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered trade representative Robert Lighthizer to begin an investigation.
The Reserve Bank of Australia's policy minutes highlighted the disinflationary impact of Aussie strength.

Major European indices trade on a higher note. Germany's DAX +0.3%, UK's FTSE +0.5%, France's CAC +0.5%. Italy's MIB is closed for Assumption Day.
In economic data:
Germany's Q2 GDP +0.6% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.7%; last 0.7%); +0.8% year-over-year (expected 1.9%; last 3.2%)
UK's July CPI -0.1% month-over-month (expected 0.0%; last 0.0%); +2.6% year-over-year (consensus 2.7%; last 2.6%). July core CPI +2.4% year-over-year (consensus 2.5%; last 2.4%). July Input PPI 0.0% month-over-month (expected 0.5%; last -0.3%); +6.5% year-over-year (consensus 7.0%; last 10.0%). July Output PPI +0.1% month-over-month (expected 0.0%; last 0.0%); +3.2% year-over-year (consensus 3.1%; last 3.3%). House Prices +4.9% year-over-year (consensus 4.3%; last 5.0%)
Swiss July PPI 0.0% month-over-month, as expected (last -0.1%); -0.1% year-over-year (consensus 0.0%; last -0.1%)
In news:
Germany's Constitutional Court will not hear a challenge to the ECB's asset purchase program, instead referring the case to the European Court of Justice. Last year, the ECJ ruled in favor of continuing emergency bond purchases under the ECB's Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) program, suggesting the challenge is unlikely to be successful.

05:56AM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +3.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +15.10.

[BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei

...19753...+216.20

...+1.10%

Hang Seng

...27175...-75.30

...-0.30%

[BRIEFING.COM] FTSE

...7379.00...+25.10

...+0.30%

DAX

...12196.20...+31.10

...+0.30%

04:30PM ET

[BRIEFING.COM] The weekend came and went without any major developments on the North Korean front, allowing investors to breathe a sigh of relief and launch another 'buy-the-dip' campaign on Monday. The major averages finished solidly higher across the board with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (+1.3%) leading the charge. The S&P 500 and the Dow settled with gains of 1.0% and 0.6%, respectively.

Following a mixed performance from Asian equity markets and amid an upbeat performance from the major European bourses, Wall Street opened Monday's session comfortably higher and extended its gain throughout the first hour and a half of trading. From there, the major averages trended sideways, slipped a bit moving into the final stretch, and then rallied back near their session highs before the day's end.

For perspective, at last Thursday's closing bell, the benchmark S&P 500 sat about 43 points, or 1.7%, below the record-high close (2,480.9) it posted on Monday, August 7. Today's advance brings the benchmark index within 15 points, or 0.6%, of its record mark. For the month, the S&P 500 currently shows a loss of 0.2%.

The lightly-weighted real estate sector (+1.7%) finished at the top of Monday's leaderboard, but it was the top-weighted technology (+1.6%) and financials (+1.4%) sectors that drove the upbeat performance. The two groups, which represent around 35.0% of the broader market combined, benefited from broad strength with just about all of their components finishing in positive territory.

In total, ten of the eleven sectors--financials (+1.4%), consumer discretionary (+0.7%), industrials (+1.0%), materials (+0.9%), technology (+1.6%), health care (+0.7%), consumer staples (+0.5%), utilities (+0.6%), telecom services (+1.2%), and real estate (+1.7%)--finished in the green. The energy sector (-0.3%) was the lone laggard.

Crude oil weighed on the energy group, dropping 2.5% to $47.59/bbl, which marks a three-week low for the commodity. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) said that it expects oil production to increase by 117,000 barrels a day--to a total of 6.149 million barrels a day--in September. The EIA report has shown an increase in shale-oil production every month this year.

In the bond market, U.S. Treasuries began the week on a lower note, giving back a portion of their gains from the end of last week. The benchmark 10-yr yield climbed three basis points to 2.22%.

It's also worth pointing out that the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 12.37, -3.14), which surged to a four-month high last Thursday, dropped 20.1% on Monday.

Investors did not receive any economic data on Monday. However, on Tuesday, investors will receive a number of economic reports, including July Retail Sales (Briefing.com consensus 0.3%), July Import/Export Prices, and August Empire Manufacturing (Briefing.com consensus 13) at 8:30 ET, and both June Business Inventories (Briefing.com consensus 0.4%) and the August NAHB Housing Market Index (Briefing.com consensus 65) at 10:00 ET.

Nasdaq Composite +17.8% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +11.3% YTD
S&P 500 +10.1% YTD
Russell 2000 +2.7% YTD

Dow: +135.39… | Nasdaq: +83.68… | S&P: +24.52…

NASDAQ Adv/Dec 2114/714. …NYSE Adv/Dec 2284/681.

Image Price Action Trading @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/price-action-trading.htm

Image Trade Strategies via Volatility Analysis @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm

Image Review of TheStrategyLab @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3167

Image TheStrategyLab Review @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/thestrategylab-reviews.htm

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. Also, thank you for the review of TheStrategyLab performance record...hopefully the links will be useful for you. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Online user name wrbtrader (more info about me): http://www.thestrategylab.com/wrbtrader.htm
TheStrategyLab Price Action Trading
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
TheStrategyLab Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com