TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: January 12th Thursday Trade Results - No Trades
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Archive Real-Time Chat Logs (timestamp, entries/exits, position size): http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Accolades (Testimonials): http://www.thestrategylab.com/Accolades.htm
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Quote:
No trades today and most likely I will try to put in a few trades on Monday January 23rd. If not because I do have two personal appointments on Monday...I'll be able to trade on Tuesday.

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $0.00 dollars

Disclaimer: Today's trading performance is not an indication of my future performance and not an indication of the future performance for any trader that decides to learn/apply WRB Analysis.

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Today's Trade Log: All of my live trades are posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. The live trade is posted 3.2 seconds on average after the trade confirmation via an auto script to minimize delays in posting of my trades. You can read today's price action trade journal about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit, market analysis) as the trade traversed to its completion. In addition, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in the free ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=2452

The free chat room is not a signal calling trading room. I do not mentor (never have) although I get many requests to do mentoring. There is education but only in members private threads at the forum involving members asking questions (help) about their own trading. Thus, the primary purpose of the free chat room is for you to use as your trade journal so that you can use as valuable feedback and for members to help each other...as in more eyes on the market. Also, you can use the free chat room to ask real-time WRB Analysis questions. Yet, please do not post your brokerage statements in the free chat room. Instead, its highly recommended that you only post your brokerage statements in your private thread for security reasons. The free chat room is on IRC via users request because the IRC servers are located in many different countries, software in many different languages and many different types of social media software can be used to log in. I'm the moderator of the free chat room. Thus, I keep the peace between members and I keep out the trouble makers so that members can peacefully post their observations about the markets, trades and WRB Analysis commentary.

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling trading room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=312&t=3290 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker PnL statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
011217-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
011217-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 738.88 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:15 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices finished Thursday's session lower amid a cautious tone on all fronts. The Dow led the retreat with a loss of 0.3%, while the benchmark S&P 500 index (-0.2%) registered a slimmer loss.

The risk-off trade began with heavy selling pressure that pushed the stock market into negative territory at the opening bell. The U.S. dollar followed suit, while the Treasury market benefited from the defensive posturing. The stock market did eventually tick up, but ended the day after trending sideways at its eventual closing level all afternoon. Since President-elect Donald Trump was short on detail regarding his policy proposals at yesterday's news conference, the downside bias may have had something to do with misgivings about the actual policies living up to the pre-inauguration hype.

Financials led today's retreat, closing lower by 0.7%. The sector also sits in the red for the week (-0.7%), but will have an opportunity to change that tomorrow as a batch of banks will be reporting their quarterly results before the opening bell, including JPMorgan Chase (JPM 86.24, -0.84), Wells Fargo (WFC 54.50, -0.30), and Bank of America (BAC 22.92, -0.15). The three names surrendered between 0.6% and 1.0% on Thursday.

The technology sector (-0.3%) fared only slightly better, thanks in part to tumbling chipmakers who dragged the PHLX Semiconductor Index down 0.9%. The four remaining cyclical sectors also finished in the red with energy sliding 0.5% despite crude oil's positive performance. The commodity finished its trading day higher for the second session in a row, up 1.4% at $53.03/bbl.

On the countercyclical side, four out of five sectors finished in the green, including health care (+0.1%). The space received a boost from the biotech industry, evidenced by the 0.4% increase in the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 279.04, +1.19). Biotechnology's gain came after the ETF tumbled 3.0% yesterday after Mr. Trump expressed a desire to bring back pharmaceutical operations to the United States and voiced support for competitive drug price bidding. Telecom services (+0.6%) finished at the top of leaderboard, while real estate (+0.4%), and utilities (+0.1%) also finished in positive territory.

In corporate news, Fiat Chrysler (FCAU 9.95, -1.14) ended lower by 10.3% after the Environmental Protection Agency accused the automaker of violating the Clean Air Act by installing and failing to disclose "engine management software in light-duty model year 2014, 2015, and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0 liter diesel engines sold in the United States." The accusations are reminiscent of the 2015 Volkswagen case, which resulted in a $4.3 billion settlement with US regulators.

U.S. Treasuries traded with gains for most of today's session but declined following the $12 bln 30-year Treasury auction and closed well off their intraday highs. The 10-yr yield finished lower by two basis points at 2.36%.

Economic data included Import/Export Prices, Initial Claims, and Treasury Budget:

Import prices excluding oil declined 0.2% in December after ticking down 0.1% in November. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.4% in December after declining 0.1% in November (revised from +0.2%).
The Import/Export Price Index report for December fit within the scope of the reflation trade that has been driving the stock market.
The latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 247,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 255,000. Today's tally was above the revised prior week count of 237,000 (from 235,000). As for continuing claims, they declined to 2.087 million from the revised count of 2.116 million (from 2.112 million).
The latest initial claims report won't diminish any confidence in the state of the labor market, which continues to be solid. Initial jobless claims held below 300,000 for the 97th straight week -- the longest streak since 1970.
The Treasury Budget for December showed a deficit of $27.5 billion versus a deficit of $14.4 billion for December 2015.
The Treasury Budget data is not seasonally adjusted, so the December deficit cannot be compared to the $136.7 billion deficit registered in November.

Tomorrow's economic data will include December PPI and Retail Sales at 8:30 am ET while November Business Inventories and the Michigan Sentiment Index will cross the wires at 10:00 am ET.

Russell 2000 +0.3% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +0.7% YTD
S&P 500 +1.4% YTD
Nasdaq Composite +3.1% YTD

3:35 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar index closed down 0.3% at 101.4
Oil futures closed above the $53 level
Feb Crude Oil futures rose $0.74 (1.4%) to $53.03/barrel
Natural gas prices have been strong as well
Feb Natural Gas closed $0.17 higher (5.3%) at $3.39/MMBtu
Gold traded lower this afternoon while silver closed flat
Feb gold ended today's session up $2.70 (+0.2%) to $1199.6/oz
Mar silver closed today's session flat at $16.83/oz
Copper however, closed unusually strong
Mar copper closed $0.06 higher (+2.3%) at $2.67/lb

3:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages remain near their recent levels going into the final stretch of action. The S&P 500 is lower by 0.3% while the Nasdaq (-0.4%) underperforms.

Financials (-0.8%) remain at the bottom of today's leaderboard with JPMorgan Chase (JPM 86.35, -0.73), Wells Fargo (WFC 54.56, -0.24), and Bank of America (BAC 22.89, -0.17) down between 0.5% and 0.9%. The three names will be kicking off the earnings season tomorrow as they are scheduled to report their quarterly results before the opening bell.

At the top of the leaderboard is the telecom services sector (+0.7%) while real estate (+0.3%) and health care (+0.1%) also trade in the green. The three sectors show week-to-date losses, alongside their countercyclical peers. Only technology, materials, and consumer discretionary are poised to end the week higher with week-to-date gains between 0.3% and 0.8%.

2:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 has recouped some of its early loss, but the index remains in red territory late this afternoon. The benchmark index is down 0.4%, while the Nasdaq (-0.5%) sits just a tick lower.

The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 280.04, +2.09) is sporting a 0.7% gain after tumbling 3.0% in yesterday's session. In addition, positive performances from names like Merck (MRK 62.53, +0.90) and Eli Lilly (LLY 77.31, +2.05) have bumped the health care sector back to its flat line and pushed the space into the mix at the top of the week's leaderboard. With health care, technology, materials, and consumer discretionary posting week-to-date gains between 2.3% and 2.7%, the race for the week's top spot is too close to call.

On a side note, the Treasury Budget for December showed a deficit of $27.5 billion versus a deficit of $14.4 billion for December 2015. The Treasury Budget data is not seasonally adjusted, so the December deficit cannot be compared to the $136.7 billion deficit registered in November.

1:55 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hover near their rebound highs with the S&P 500 remaining lower by 0.4% after being down 0.9% in late morning action.

Today's retreat comes ahead of the release of several earnings reports from the financial sector (-1.0%), which has been a stand-out during the post-election rally.

Taking a look at the bigger picture, the benchmark index did mark a new record high last Friday, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the S&P 500 has been range-bound since early December, respecting a 47-point range during the past five weeks. Despite today's downtick, the S&P 500 remains in the upper end of that range.

Treasuries hover just below their session highs with the 10-yr yield down four basis points at 2.34%.

1:35 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices have recouped roughly half of this morning's losses, but still sport notable losses at this time.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows that Walt Disney (DIS 107.59, -1.85), Microsoft (MSFT 62.34, -0.85), & Travelers (TRV 116.31, -1.34) are underperforming. Disney is the Dow's top decliner after shares were downgraded to Sell at Pivotal Research.

Conversely, Merck & Co (MRK 62.62, +0.99) is the best-performing Dow component as shares continue to outperform on the heels of three analyst upgrades this morning. The upgrades come after Merck announced on Tuesday that it had been granted Priority Review for its supplemental biologics license application for Keytruda in combination with chemotherapy for first-line treatment of metastatic non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer regardless of PD-L1 expression and with no EGFR or ALK genomic tumor aberrations.

For the week, the DJIA is currently -0.54%.

Elsewhere, at the top of the hour, the Treasury's $12 bln 30-year auction drew a high yield of 2.914% on a bid-to-cover of 2.32.

1:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The equity market has ticked up from its session low, but today's cautious tone continues. The S&P 500 is down 0.5% as today's action has been underscored by risk-off moves in the Treasury and currency markets.

Equities retreated into red territory immediately following the opening bell, stabilizing near their session lows in late morning action. The stock market has slowly ticked up since then, but nine of eleven sectors remain in the red this afternoon with telecom services (+0.6%) bucking the trend.

Financials (-1.1%) have led today's retreat as nearly all components trade in the red. The sector's pullback can be most notably attributed to profit-taking activity, which has been triggered in part by a flattening yield curve; the 2-yr yield is two basis points lower at 1.17% while the 30-yr yield has fallen five basis points to 2.32%. Heavy-weight components such as JPMorgan Chase (JPM 86.35, -0.73), Wells Fargo (WFC 54.34, -0.46), Bank of America (BAC 22.81, -0.25), Citigroup (C 59.29, -0.68), and Goldman Sachs (GS 243.25, -2.51) are all down between 0.8% and 1.2%. Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, and Wells Fargo will report their quarterly results ahead of tomorrow's session.

The top-weighted technology sector sits only slightly above financials as its top component Apple (AAPL 118.88, -0.86) is sporting a 0.7% loss. Chipmakers have also pushed the sector lower, evidenced by the 1.4% decline in the PHLX Semiconductor Index. For the week, the sector sits in positive territory with materials (-0.5%) and consumer discretionary (-0.3%). The three sectors are posting modest week-to-date gains between 0.1% and 0.4%.

Energy (-0.6%) has performed in line with the broader market despite a 1.4% increase in crude oil. The energy component has backed off its session high but still remain comfortably in the green, trading at $52.94. Also of note, the U.S. Dollar Index (101.04, -0.64) has fallen 0.6% amid an uptick in the euro (1.0654) and the Japanese yen (114.03).

In corporate news, Fiat Chrysler (FCAU 9.59, -1.50) has fallen 13.1% after the EPA accused the automaker of violating the Clean Air Act by installing and failing to disclose "engine management software in light-duty model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0 liter diesel engines sold in the United States." The accusations are eerily similar to the 2015 Volkswagen scandal, which resulted in a $4.3 billion settlement with US regulators.

On the earnings front, homebuilders have taken a hit after KB Home (KBH 15.82, -0.78) reported mixed Q4 results this morning; earnings-per-share fell to $0.40 from $0.43 last year while revenues rose 21% to $1.19 billion. The industry continues to benefit from a strong housing market, but that hasn't been reflected in homebuilder stocks as higher land and labor costs are weighing on the bottom line. The iShares U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB 27.66, -0.34) is lower by 1.2% while the broader discretionary sector (-0.4%) trades a bit ahead of the S&P 500.

Economic data included Import/Export Prices and Initial Claims:

Import prices excluding oil declined 0.2% in December after ticking down 0.1% in November. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.4% in December after declining 0.1% in November (revised from +0.2%).
The Import/Export Price Index report for December fit within the scope of the reflation trade that has been driving the stock market.
The latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 247,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 255,000. Today's tally was above the revised prior week count of 237,000 (from 235,000). As for continuing claims, they declined to 2.087 million from the revised count of 2.116 million (from 2.112 million).
The latest initial claims report won't diminish any confidence in the state of the labor market, which continues to be solid. Initial jobless claims held below 300,000 for the 97th straight week -- the longest streak since 1970.

Thursday's economic data will conclude with the December Treasury Budget, will be released at 2:00 pm ET.

12:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities have ticked up from their session lows but remain in negative territory. The S&P 500 is down 0.6% while the Nasdaq (-0.8%) sits a bit lower amid large losses from chipmakers.

Homebuilders have taken a hit after KB Home (KBH 15.82, -0.78) reported mixed Q4 results this morning; earnings-per-share fell to $0.40 from $0.43 last year while revenues rose 21% to $1.19 billion. The industry continues to benefit from a strong housing market, but that hasn't been reflected in homebuilder stocks as higher land and labor costs are weighing on the bottom line. The iShares U.S. Home Construction ETF (ITB 27.66, -0.34) is lower by 1.2% while the broader discretionary sector (-0.4%) trades a bit ahead of the S&P 500.

The Treasury market remains near its session high as the 10-yr yield is down six basis points to 2.32%. The risk-off tone has boosted gold (+0.4% to $1,200.85/ozt) while the U.S. dollar is down.

12:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The equity market remains just above its session low as today's action has been underscored by risk-off moves in the Treasury and currency markets. The benchmark S&P 500 index is lower by 0.7%.

Financials (-1.4%) have led today's retreat as all components trade in the red. The sector's retreat can be most notably attributed to profit-taking activity, which has been triggered in part by a flattening yield curve. Heavy-weight components such as JPMorgan Chase (JPM 86.28, -0.80), Wells Fargo (WFC 54.06, -0.74), Bank of America (BAC 22.73, -0.34), Citigroup (C 58.88, -1.08), and Goldman Sachs (GS 242.66, -3.10) are all down between 0.9% and 1.9%. Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, and Wells Fargo will report their quarterly results ahead of tomorrow's session.

In corporate news, Fiat Chrysler (FCAU 9.59, -1.50) has fallen 13.1% after the EPA accused the automaker of violating the Clean Air Act by installing and failing to disclose "engine management software in light-duty model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0 liter diesel engines sold in the United States." The accusations are eerily similar to the 2015 Volkswagen scandal, which resulted in a $4.3 billion settlement with US regulators.

11:25 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities have ticked down to fresh session lows in recent action. The S&P 500 has retreated 0.8% while the Nasdaq (-1.1%) resides a bit deeper in negative territory.

All sectors remain in negative territory late this morning, with the week-to-date standings looking very similar. Ten of eleven sectors are in the red for the week with the real estate sector (-2.5%) falling the furthest. The material sector edges out its peers with a slim 0.2% week-to-date gain.

U.S. Treasuries have ticked up in recent action, hitting a fresh session high. The 10-yr yield is down six basis points at 2.31%.

Today's final economic report, December Treasury Budget, will be released this afternoon at 2:00 pm ET. The data isn't expected to move the market.

10:55 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The equity market has stabilized just above its session low after retreating into negative territory in early action. The S&P 500 is lower by 0.7%.

Sector standings have remained much the same with all eleven spaces in negative territory. The financial and technology sectors, which comprise around 35.0% of the broader market, have paced today's pullback with losses of 1.2% and 1.0%, respectively.

Automaker Fiat Chrysler (FCAU 9.57, -1.51) has tumbled 13.7% amid reports the Environmental Protection Agency will accuse the company of manipulating emissions data. The EPA is expected to make a formal announcement shortly.

The U.S. dollar is also down, hitting its lowest level in a month. The U.S. Dollar Index (101.12, -0.59) has fallen 0.6% amid relative strength from the euro (1.0643) and the Japanese yen (114.22). Conversely, gold is up 0.4%, trading at $1,201.45/ozt.

10:45 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar index is trading lower this morning, which is helping give commodities a boost this morning
Oil futures have been climbing higher during today's session and are now +1.9% at $53.24/barrel
Natural gas prices have been strong as well and just spiked in recent trade
Feb nat gas is now +6.1% at $3.42/MMBtu
Gold and silver are showing more modest gains
Feb gold is now $+0.4% at $1200.80/oz, while Mar silver is +0.3% at $16.89/oz
Mar copper is currently +2% at $2.66/lb

10:00 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equities have fallen further in recent action with the S&P 500 losing 0.5%. The Nasdaq underperforms, posting a loss of 0.7%.

Ten of the eleven sectors are in negative territory, with telecom services (+0.1%) showing resistance. The top-weighted technology sector is at the bottom of the leaderboard, posting a loss of 0.9% amid a poor showing from chipmakers. The PHLX Semiconductor Index is lower by 1.7%.

Energy (-0.3%) has also ticked down despite crude oil's positive performance. The commodity is up 1.9% at $53.25/bbl.

9:45 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market opened the trading day lower with the S&P 500 down by 0.4%.

Nine of the eleven sectors are in the red with health care (-0.6%), technology (-0.6%), and financials (-0.6%) leading the retreat. Energy (+0.3%) and utilities (+0.1%) are the only sectors bucking the bearish trend, as both spaces attempt to climb out of negative territory for the week.

Treasuries have opened the trading day higher with the 10-yr yield down by four basis points at 2.33%.

9:15 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market is poised for a lower open as the S&P 500 futures trade six points below fair value.

On the earnings front, Delta Air Lines (DAL 51.25, -0.19) is lower by 0.4% despite reporting in-line earnings and revenues and issuing upbeat Q1 unit revenue guidance. Taiwan Semi (TSM 29.87, -0.30) has also fallen, losing 1.0%, after the company's cautious guidance overshadowed above-consensus results.

Crude oil is up again today after a sizable gain in Wednesday's session. The commodity is higher by 2.0% at $53.32/bbl.

Treasuries are also higher this morning with the 10-yr yield lower by five basis points at 2.33%.

On the data front, import prices excluding oil declined 0.2% in December after ticking down 0.1% in November. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.4% in December after declining 0.1% in November (revised from +0.2%).

Separately, the latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 247,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 255,000. Today's tally was above the revised prior week count of 237,000 (from 235,000). As for continuing claims, they declined to 2.087 million from the revised count of 2.116 million (from 2.112 million).

Today's economic data will be wrapped up with the December Treasury Budget, which will cross the wires at 2:00 pm ET.

8:55 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -4.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -13.80.

The S&P 500 futures trade five points below fair value.

Markets in the Asia-Pacific region ended Thursday on a mostly lower note with Japan's Nikkei (-1.2%) pacing the retreat amid an uptick in the yen. The Japanese currency surged during yesterday's Wall Street session, continuing its advance into the night. The yen is up 0.8% against the dollar at 114.44. Standard & Poor's commented on China's bond market, saying there is a need for stronger governance to curb questionable trading practices and excessive risk taking.

In economic data:
China's New Loans CNY1.04 trillion (expected CNY676.00 billion; last CNY794.60 billion) and M2 Money Stock +11.3% (expected 11.4%; last 11.4%)
Japan's December Bank Lending +2.6% year-over-year (expected 2.4%; last 2.4%) and November Adjusted Current Account surplus JPY1.80 trillion (expected JPY1.48 trillion; last JPY1.93 trillion). December Economy Watchers Current Index 51.4 (consensus 50.0; last 51.4)
New Zealand's ANZ Commodity Price Index +0.7% month-over-month (last 3.2%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei lost 1.2% amid broad weakness. Technology and consumer names struggled with Familymart, Unitika, J Front Retailing, Toshiba, Konami, Casio Computer, Rakuten, Fujitsu, and Alps Electric lost between 2.2% and 6.6%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 0.5% with gaming names and financials showing relative weakness. Galaxy Entertainment, Sands China, Link Reit, Bank of East Asia, China Life Insurance, Tencent Holdings, and Bank of China Hong Kong losing between 0.9% and 2.5%. Conversely, Lenovo Group rallied 1.8%.
China's Shanghai Composite surrendered 0.6%. Xin Jiang Ready Health Industry, Jiangsu Sopo Chemical, Xianjiang Tianrun Dairy, ShangHai Phoenix Enterprise, and YTO Express Group posted losses between 4.2% and 5.0%.
India's Sensex advanced 0.4% despite losses in more than half of its components. Utilities NTPC and Power Grid outperformed with respective gains of 5.7% and 4.1% after NTPC agreed to take control of the Chhabra Thermal Power Plant. On the downside, Lupin and Hindustan Unilever both lost near 2.0%.

Major European indices trade mixed. It is worth noting that London has dropped the demand to retain the 'financial passport' that allows sales across the single market. The news has contributed to weakness in UK bank stocks. Elsewhere, a presidential poll in France showed that Francois Fillon would be expected to beat Marine Le Pen with a 63-37 vote. However, a tight, three-way race is expected between the two candidates and Emmanuel Macron.

In economic data:
Eurozone November Industrial Production +1.5% month-over-month (expected 0.5%; last 0.1%); +3.2% year-over-year (consensus 1.6%; previous 0.8%)
France's December CPI +0.3%, as expected (last 0.3%)
Italy's November Industrial Production +0.7% month-over-month (expected 0.3%; last 0.1%); +3.2% year-over-year (consensus 2.0%; last 1.3%)

---Equity Markets---

Germany's DAX is lower by 0.6% after testing levels not seen since mid-2015 during yesterday's session. Heavyweights like Merck, BMW, Daimler, Siemens, Volkswagen, and Deutsche Bank are down between 0.1% and 1.5%. A handful of names hold gains with utilities RWE and E.On up 2.1% and 3.0%, respectively.
France's CAC has shed 0.1%. Countercyclical names are among the laggards with Essilor International, Sanofi, Carrefour, and L'Oreal down between 0.6% and 1.7%. Financials have held up well with BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, and Societe Generale adding between 0.9% and 1.7%.
UK's FTSE is up 0.1%. with consumer names and financials struggling. Associated British Foods, Tesco, Dixons Carphone, Next, RBS, and HSBC hold losses between 0.2% and 3.1%. Miners outperform amid continued strength in commodities. Randgold Resources, Fresnillo, Anglo American, Rio Tinto, and BHP Billiton show gains between 2.3% and 3.6%.
Spain's IBEX has added 0.4% with financials like Banco Popular, Caixabank, Bankinter, BBVA, and Santander rising between 0.7% and 1.7%.

8:35 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 futures trade five points below fair value.

Just in, import prices excluding oil declined 0.2% in December after ticking down 0.1% in November. Export prices excluding agriculture increased 0.4% in December after declining 0.1% in November (revised from +0.2%).

Separately, the latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 247,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 255,000. Today's tally was above the revised prior week count of 237,000 (from 235,000). As for continuing claims, they declined to 2.087 million from the revised count of 2.116 million (from 2.112 million).

8:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -5.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -13.90.

Equity futures point to a lower open Thursday morning as the S&P 500 futures trade five points below fair value. Investors continue to digest President-elect Trump's first post-election press conference while observing a downtick in overseas markets.

Crude oil is up again today after a sizable gain on Wednesday despite EIA data showing a big inventory build. The energy component is higher by 1.2%, trading at $52.89/bbl.

The Treasury market has seen an uptick in buying interest this morning, with the 10-yr yield lower by four basis points at 2.33%.

Today's economic data will include December Import/Export Prices and Initial Claims (Briefing.com consensus 235k) at 8:30 am ET, followed by the Treasury Budget at 2:00 pm ET.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

Delta Air Lines (DAL 51.80, +0.36): +0.7% after issuing upbeat Q1 unit revenue guidance. The company also reported in-line earnings and revenues.
Taiwan Semi (TSM 30.49, +0.32): +1.1% after beating on the top and bottom lines. However, the company did issue disappointing guidance.
KB Home (KBH 16.40, -0.20): -1.2% after disappointing earnings overshadowed above-consensus revenue.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Markets in the Asia-Pacific region ended Thursday on a mostly lower note with Japan's Nikkei pacing the retreat amid an uptick in the yen (114.06). Japan's Nikkei -1.2%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng -0.5%, China's Shanghai Composite -0.6%, India's Sensex +0.4%.
In economic data:
China's New Loans CNY1.04 trillion (expected CNY676.00 billion; last CNY794.60 billion) and M2 Money Stock +11.3% (expected 11.4%; last 11.4%)
Japan's December Bank Lending +2.6% year-over-year (expected 2.4%; last 2.4%) and November Adjusted Current Account surplus JPY1.80 trillion (expected JPY1.48 trillion; last JPY1.93 trillion). December Economy Watchers Current Index 51.4 (consensus 50.0; last 51.4)
New Zealand's ANZ Commodity Price Index +0.7% month-over-month (last 3.2%)
In news:
Standard & Poor's commented on China's bond market, saying there is a need for stronger governance to curb questionable trading practices and excessive risk taking.

Major European indices trade on a lower note while Spain's IBEX outperforms. Germany's DAX -0.6%, France's CAC -0.1%, UK's FTSE -0.1%, Spain's IBEX +0.3%.
In economic data:
Eurozone November Industrial Production +1.5% month-over-month (expected 0.5%; last 0.1%); +3.2% year-over-year (consensus 1.6%; previous 0.8%)
France's December CPI +0.3%, as expected (last 0.3%)
Italy's November Industrial Production +0.7% month-over-month (expected 0.3%; last 0.1%); +3.2% year-over-year (consensus 2.0%; last 1.3%)
In news:
London has dropped the demand to retain the 'financial passport' that allows sales across the single market. The news has contributed to weakness in UK bank stocks.
In France, a presidential poll showed that Francois Fillon would be expected to beat Marine Le Pen with a 63-37 vote. However, a tight, three-way race is expected between the two candidates and Emmanuel Macron.

5:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -6.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -13.60.

5:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...19135...-230.00...-1.20%. Hang Seng...22829...-106.30...-0.50%.