TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: February 12th Friday Trade Results - Profit $1375.00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
021216-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+1375.00.png
021216-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+1375.00.png [ 93.8 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $1375.00 dollars or +27.50 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $1375.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=2289

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=3049 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
021216-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
021216-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 269 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:20 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market ended its week in upbeat fashion, with the major indices recouping large portions of their weekly losses. As a result, the Dow Jones Industrial Average cut its loss to 231 points (-1.4%) from last Friday's close while the S&P surrendered 15 points (-0.8%) over that same period. Today's trade saw a higher tolerance for risk investments as the beleaguered financial sector (+4.0%) and oil were able to lead the market higher while a positive reading from January's Retail Sales report boosted investor sentiment.

Yesterday's chatter regarding OPEC members being ready to cooperate on production cuts gained traction overnight as oil lifted in overseas trade. The energy component was able to maintain this momentum in our session and managed a 12.2% pop to close at $29.33/bbl. Short covering likely provided additional fuel to this rally, but despite this impressive run, WTI crude ended its week down 5.0%.

European indices were able to get a reprieve from recent sharp selling action after better than feared earnings results from Commerzbank lifted their financial sector. This positive sentiment was echoed by Deutsche Bank (DB 17.38, +1.87), which announced that it will buy back more than $5 billion worth of its senior debt.

The U.S. financial sector was able to build off this momentum, cutting this week's loss from 6.4% to 2.4%. The rebound was helped by news from JPMorgan Chase (JPM 57.49, +4.42) indicating that CEO Jamie Dimon purchased 500,000 more shares of JPM for roughly $26 million. Other money center banks also rallied in the financial sector with JPMorgan Chase ending the week virtually flat (57.75).

Commodity-sensitive materials (+2.9%) and energy sectors (2.6%) were able to follow financials on the leaderboard with energy being the main beneficiary from the upswing in oil. Independent oil and gas companies benefited the most while Dow component Chevron (CVX 85.43, +2.44) finished in-line with the energy sector.

The heavily-weighted technology (+1.4%) and health care spaces (+1.4%) followed telecom services (+1.2%) and utilities (-0.3%) on the bottom of the leaderboard as large-cap constituents underperformed. To that point, Facebook (FB 102.01, +0.10) and Alphabet (GOOGL 706.89, +0.53) ended the session near their flat lines while Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 101.82, +0.12) and Merck & Co. (MRK 49.03, +0.18) also finished little changed.

Today's rally in equities took a toll on safe-havens with gold and Treasuries retreating. Gold surrendered 0.6% to end its pit session at $1,239.40/ozt while selling in the 10-yr note sent its yield higher by nine basis points to 1.75%.

The positive retail sales report contributed to a rally in the dollar, which advanced against the yen and euro. The dollar/yen pair ended at 113.25 (+0.9%) while the euro slid 0.5% against the dollar to 1.1256.

Today's participation was heavier than the recent average with 1.12 billion shares changing hands ahead of the extended weekend.

Today's economic data included the Retail Sales report for January, the December Business Inventory Report, and the preliminary reading of the Michigan Sentiment Index for February:

Total retail sales increased 0.2% in January (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%) while sales, excluding autos, increased 0.1% (Briefing.com consensus 0.0%).
The January gains were logged on top of an upwardly revised 0.2% increase (from -0.1%) for total sales in December and a 0.1% increase for sales, excluding autos, which were previously reported to be down 0.1%.
The only other retail areas experiencing sales declines in January were furniture and home furnishing stores (-0.5%), sporting goods, hobby, book, and music stores (-2.1%), department stores (-0.8%), and food services and drinking places (-0.5%).Those declines, it should be noted, followed on the heels of decent-sized sales gains in December.
While this report doesn't capture any spending on services, which account for two-thirds of consumer spending, it does offer some encouraging data on goods spending.
Core retail sales, which exclude auto, gasoline station, and building material sales, were up 0.4% in January after being flat in December. This will factor favorably in the goods component for personal consumption expenditures in the first quarter GDP report.
U.S. import prices in January declined 1.1% for the second consecutive month, driven primarily by lower fuel prices.
Excluding fuel, import prices declined 0.2%. Export prices fell 0.8% in January, continuing a streak of declines that stretches back to June 2015. Excluding agriculture, export prices also declined 0.8%. Excluding fuel, import prices are down 2.9% year-over-year. Excluding agriculture, export prices are down 5.0% year-over-year.
Import fuel prices declined 12.4% in January after an 8.7% decline in December. The January decline was the largest since a 12.7% decline in August 2015. Prices for overall fuel have declined 34.5% over the past 12 months, after decreasing 43.8% between January 2014 and January 2015.
Prices for export capital goods fell 0.1%, leaving them down 0.7% year-over-year, which was the largest 12-month decrease since January 2004.
The latest installment of import price data doesn't do much in terms of supporting tighter monetary policy. Then again, the Fed remains convinced the forces driving down prices are transitory. On that note, there hasn't been a monthly advance in the nonfuel import price index since March 2014.
Total business inventories increased 0.1% in December, as expected, following an upwardly revised revised 0.1% decrease (from -0.2%) in November.
Manufacturer inventories (+0.2%) and merchant wholesaler inventories (-0.1%) were already known. Retailer inventories were the only unknown and they increased 0.4% in December on top of a 0.3% increase in November.
The total business inventory-to-sales ratio pushed up a notch to 1.39 from 1.38 in November. In December 2015 the ratio stood at 1.33.
The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index slipped to 90.7 in the preliminary reading for February from the final reading of 92.0 for January (Briefing.com consensus 92.7).
The downturn in February was driven by a dip in both the Index for Current Economic Conditions (to 105.8 from 106.4) and the Index of Consumer Expectations (to 81.0 from 82.7).
Strikingly, it was also noted that consumers anticipated the lowest long-term inflation rate (2.4%) since the question was first asked in the late 1970s.

The market will be closed on Monday in observance of Presidents Day. Tuesday's economic data includes the 8:30 ET release of the Empire Manufacturing Report (Briefing.com consensus -9.9) for February. Meanwhile, the NAHB Housing Market Index for February (Briefing.com consensus 60) and December's Net Long-Term TIC Flows will cross the wires at 10:00 ET and 16:00 ET, respectively.

Russell 2000 -14.4% YTD
Nasdaq -13.4% YTD
S&P 500 -8.8% YTD
Dow Jones -8.3% YTD

Week in Review: Pressure Persists

The past week featured another weak showing from the equity market with the S&P 500 surrendering 0.8%. The benchmark index was down 2.3% going into Friday, but a broad-based 2.0% surge helped the S&P 500 narrow its weekly loss.

The S&P 500 ended the week ahead of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which fell 1.4%, while equity markets across the world had a similar showing to U.S. stocks. Japan's Nikkei faced particularly heavy selling that sent the index lower by 11.1% in just four sessions. That weakness coincided with noteworthy yen strength as the Japanese currency extended its aggressive advance that began the day after the Bank of Japan's decision to implement negative rates. The dollar/yen pair fell more than 350 pips to 113.25 from 116.85 after being down 600 pips on Thursday.

The unwavering yen strength indicated the presence of caution in the foreign exchange market while gold and bonds also advanced, benefitting from the defensive sentiment across financial markets. Gold futures rocketed into the $1,250 area, ending the week higher by 7.1% at $1239.40/ozt. For its part, the 10-yr note hit a three-year high on Thursday, which lowered its yield to 1.57%. Friday selling in the 10-yr note ran the benchmark yield to 1.75%, representing a ten basis point decline for the week.

With safe-haven assets on the rise, crude oil struggled mightily, setting a fresh 2016 low at $26.05/bbl on Thursday, but a Friday rebound lifted the energy component to $29.44/bbl, representing a 4.7% decline for the week.

For the most part, the selling that defined the week's action was tied to persistent growth concerns. The financial sector (-2.4%) was among the weakest performers, ending only ahead of utilities (-2.5%). The financial sector widened its 2016 loss to 14.4% partly due to an ongoing adjustment in the market's rate hike expectations. Furthermore, growing worries about the exposure of major financials to the battered commodity sector have also taken a toll on the economically-sensitive group. Deutsche Bank was in the spotlight last week as the stock set a 30-year low with investors showing concern over the bank's derivative exposure.

Similar to financials, eight of the remaining nine sectors registered losses for the week while the consumer staples sector ended the week higher by 0.8%.

3:40 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

Oil prices were the big story today, which basically got legs following headlines yesterday that OPEC members are ready to cooperate on cut
This sent WTI oil prices back above $29/barrel and gave it the largest one-day gain since February 2009.
At the end of floor trading, Mar crude oil finished +12.2% at $29.33/barrel
Natural futures traded lower today, on the other hand, with the Mar contract closing -0.5% at $1.97/MMBtu
Metals ended mixed with April gold closing -0.6% at $1239.40/oz and Mar silver +0.1% at $15.80/oz
Mar copper rose 1% to $2.03/lb

3:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.8%) currently leads the S&P 500 (+1.7%) as the indices trade a respective six points and two points from fresh session highs.

The tech-heavy Nasdaq (+1.5%) has underperformed the other indices as big tech names restrain the gains in the larger composite. To that point, Apple (AAPL 93.88, +0.18), Alphabet (GOOGL 706.36, +0.00), and Facebook (FB 102.11, +0.20) each show gains of no more than 0.2%. Meanwhile, consumer discretionary giant Amazon (AMZN 506.12, +2.30) also weighs on the Nasdaq.

On the commodities front, WTI crude ended its pit session higher by 12.2% at $29.33/bbl. This represents a week to date drop of 5.1% and a 13.0% fall since the end of January.

2:35 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market hovers near its session high with the S&P 500 (+1.6%) trading behind the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.7%).

The consumer staples sector (+1.1%) continues to underperform the broader market. To be fair though, today's overall action is a rebound from short-term oversold conditions and the countercyclical group has shown relative strength during that period. The sector has added 0.5% this week. The next best performing sector is health care with a week-to-date decline of 0.6%. The financial sector is the weakest performer of the week, up 3.5% today, but down 2.8% since last Friday.

Elsewhere, consumer staples component Dr. Pepper Snapple (DPS 92.05, +2.46) shows relative strength after increasing its quarterly dividend to $0.53 a share from $0.48 and authorizing a $1 billion common share buyback.

The yield on the 10-yr note is hovering at a session high, up nine basis points at 1.75%.

2:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have floated higher since our last update with the S&P 500 (+1.3%) currently six points below its session high.

Oil has pulled back from its session high ($29.61/bbl), but remains higher by 10.8% at $29.05/bbl.

The industrials sector (+1.4%) continues to trade roughly in-line with the broader market even though large-cap constituent Boeing (BA 108.44, -0.28) shows relative weakness. Boeing has declined 0.1% after being downgraded at JPMorgan from "Overweight" to "Neutral." Meanwhile fellow aerospace name Lockheed Martin (LMT 206.63, -0.55) trades in the red after the U.S. Court of Federal Claims denied an injunction that would have allowed the company time to protest the award of a $6.7 billion contract to Oshkosh (OSK 31.54, +1.21).

On a separate note, the yield on the 10-yr note is now higher by nine basis points at 1.75%. This represents an 11-basis point move from yesterday's low of 1.64%.

1:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major U.S. indices have pulled back slightly since our last update, but still sport solid gains for the day.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average JPMorgan (JPM 56.84, +3.77), DuPont (DD 58.26, +1.64), and Travelers (TRV 106.48, +2.71) are outperforming. JPMorgan is leading the Dow higher after its CEO Jamie Dimon purchased 500k shares, worth ~$26 mln. DuPont is strong as materials outperform, and Travelers is being helped by broad strength in financials, today's best performing sector.

Conversely, Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 101.28, -0.42) is the worst-performing Dow component as health care lags the broad market strength.

Despite today's strong showing, the DJIA is still poised to close the week lower by more than 2%, which extends 2016's year-to-date losses to nearly 9%.

1:10 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market opened its final session of the week on a positive note with the major averages benefiting from a renewed appetite for risk. Contributing to this general optimism was a reversal in crude oil, positive retail sales numbers, and a rebound in the struggling financial sector. The major averages were able to build off their strong start with the S&P 500 currently trading seven points below its best level of the day.

European indices were able to shake off losses in Asia as they responded to a better than feared earnings report from Commerzbank. This surprise offered a reprieve for the European financial sector and the regional indices as a whole. Deutsche Bank (DB 17.28, +1.77) also helped matters when it announced that it will buy back more than $5 billion worth of senior debt.

The U.S. financial sector (+3.6%) has been able to build on this positive sentiment as the economically-sensitive group rallied out of the gate. Meanwhile, JPMorgan Chase (JPM 57.19, +4.11) has contributed to the positive sentiment as investors respond to the news that CEO Jamie Dimon purchased 500,000 more shares of JPM for roughly $26 million. Meanwhile, American International Group (AIG 53.28, +2.76) has rallied 5.5% after increasing its dividend 14.0%, announcing a $5 billion share repurchase, and nominating two influential names to their Board of Directors.

Global equities have benefited from a reversal in crude oil. This upswing follows increased speculation regarding supply cuts, with short covering likely providing additional fuel to the rally. At this juncture, WTI crude trades higher by 12.3% at $29.44/bbl, but is still down 4.7% from last Friday.

The energy sector (+2.3%) is the main beneficiary of the rebound in oil and trails materials (+2.6%) and financials (+3.5%) on the leaderboard. Independent oil and gas companies outperform in the commodity-sensitive group with Anadarko Petroleum (APC 37.87, +2.18) climbing 6.1%. Meanwhile, Dow component Chevron (CVX 85.19, +2.20) has rallied 2.6%.

It is worth noting the health care space (+0.3%) has underperformed throughout today's session. Biotechnology trades in-line with the broader market while large cap names like Pfizer (PFE 29.09, -0.04) and Merck & Co (MRK 48.83, -0.02) sit near their flat lines.

Safe haven investments have retraced some of this week's advance with gold surrendering 0.9% to $1,237.20/ozt while Treasuries also trade in the red with the 10-yr yield higher by eight basis points at 1.74%.

The U.S. Dollar Index has climbed in recent action at the expense of the yen and the euro. Currently, the dollar/yen pair trades at 113.35 (+0.8%) while the euro has slid 0.7% against the dollar to 1.1242.

Today's economic data included the Retail Sales report for January, the December Business Inventory Report, and the preliminary reading of the Michigan Sentiment Index for February:

Total retail sales increased 0.2% in January (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%) while sales, excluding autos, increased 0.1% (Briefing.com consensus 0.0%).
The January gains were logged on top of an upwardly revised 0.2% increase (from -0.1%) for total sales in December and a 0.1% increase for sales, excluding autos, which were previously reported to be down 0.1%.
The only other retail areas experiencing sales declines in January were furniture and home furnishing stores (-0.5%), sporting goods, hobby, book, and music stores (-2.1%), department stores (-0.8%), and food services and drinking places (-0.5%).Those declines, it should be noted, followed on the heels of decent-sized sales gains in December.
While this report doesn't capture any spending on services, which account for two-thirds of consumer spending, it does offer some encouraging data on goods spending.
Core retail sales, which exclude auto, gasoline station, and building material sales, were up 0.4% in January after being flat in December. This will factor favorably in the goods component for personal consumption expenditures in the first quarter GDP report.
U.S. import prices in January declined 1.1% for the second consecutive month, driven primarily by lower fuel prices.
Excluding fuel, import prices declined 0.2%. Export prices fell 0.8% in January, continuing a streak of declines that stretches back to June 2015. Excluding agriculture, export prices also declined 0.8%. Excluding fuel, import prices are down 2.9% year-over-year. Excluding agriculture, export prices are down 5.0% year-over-year.
Import fuel prices declined 12.4% in January after an 8.7% decline in December. The January decline was the largest since a 12.7% decline in August 2015. Prices for overall fuel have declined 34.5% over the past 12 months, after decreasing 43.8% between January 2014 and January 2015.
Prices for export capital goods fell 0.1%, leaving them down 0.7% year-over-year, which was the largest 12-month decrease since January 2004.
The latest installment of import price data doesn't do much in terms of supporting tighter monetary policy. Then again, the Fed remains convinced the forces driving down prices are transitory. On that note, there hasn't been a monthly advance in the nonfuel import price index since March 2014.
Total business inventories increased 0.1% in December, as expected, following an upwardly revised revised 0.1% decrease (from -0.2%) in November.
Manufacturer inventories (+0.2%) and merchant wholesaler inventories (-0.1%) were already known. Retailer inventories were the only unknown and they increased 0.4% in December on top of a 0.3% increase in November.
The total business inventory-to-sales ratio pushed up a notch to 1.39 from 1.38 in November. In December 2015 the ratio stood at 1.33.
The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index slipped to 90.7 in the preliminary reading for February from the final reading of 92.0 for January (Briefing.com consensus 92.7).
The downturn in February was driven by a dip in both the Index for Current Economic Conditions (to 105.8 from 106.4) and the Index of Consumer Expectations (to 81.0 from 82.7).
Strikingly, it was also noted that consumers anticipated the lowest long-term inflation rate (2.4%) since the question was first asked in the late 1970s.

12:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages float beneath their best levels of the day with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (+1.4%) trading behind the S&P 500 (+1.5%). The two indices trade off their highs by 5 points and 3 points, respectively.

The heavyweight technology space (+1.2%) has underperformed the benchmark index for the bulk of the trading day as large name tech companies demonstrate relative weakness. Alphabet (GOOGL 707.31, +0.95) and Apple (AAPL 93.72, +0.02) show upticks of 0.1% apiece. Elsewhere, the high-beta chipmakers show relative strength, evidenced by the PHLX Semiconductor Index (+2.2%). The sub-group is benefiting from rebounds in Avago Technologies (AVGO 121.27, +4.96) and Skyworks (SWKS 57.57, +1.72). Despite today's strength, the names still show respective weekly losses of 3.6% and 5.4%.

12:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hover below their session highs with the S&P 500 (+1.4%) five points off its best level of the day.

The consumer discretionary space (1.3%) trades behind the broader market, owed partially to the relative weakness of media companies. The sub-group has been hurt by a string of negative responses to earnings this past week. On that note, CBS (CBS 42.88, -0.69) has lost 1.6% despite reporting in-line results after yesterday's close. Meanwhile automobile companies are benefiting from the January Retail Sales report which showed a 0.6% jump in motor vehicle sales during that period. Ford (F 11.39, +0.21) and General Motors (27.36, +0.47) outperform with respective gains of 1.9% and 1.7%. To be fair though, Ford is also benefiting from the release of European sales figures that showed increases from last year.

11:30 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 (+1.5%) trades at a new session high, cutting its weekly loss to 1.2%.

The stock market as a whole is benefiting from the ongoing rally in oil. At this juncture, WTI crude has climbed 11.4% to trade at $29.20/bbl. The commodity is enjoying increased speculation regarding supply cuts with short covering likely providing additional fuel. The energy sector (+2.5%) is the main beneficiary of this move and only follows financials (+3.5%) on the leaderboard. Independent oil and gas companies outperform in the commodity-sensitive group while Dow component Chevron (CVX 85.30, +2.31) outperforms in both groups.

Elsewhere, safe haven investments have tumbled with gold declining 1.1% to $1,234.50/ozt while the yield on the 10-yr note is higher by seven basis points at 1.73%. The U.S. Dollar Index has also climbed in recent action at the expense of the yen and the euro. Currently, the dollar/yen pair trades at 112.94 (+0.6%) while the euro has slid 0.8% against the dollar to 1.1225.

10:55 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.1%) and the S&P 500 (+1.0%) have notched new highs since our last update (15844.09 and 1849.47, respectively), but have since floated below those levels.

Today's rally is being led by the financial sector (+2.5%), which has been the best performing group throughout today's session. The space is rebounding from a loss of 3.8% this week and 7.3% in the month of February. These represent the largest losses by any sector during those periods. JPMorgan Chase (JPM 56.20, +3.13) leads the group after the bank's CEO disclosed a purchase of 500,000 shares. Meanwhile, American International Group (AIG 53.28, +2.73) has rallied 4.8% after increasing its dividend 14.0%, announcing a $5 billion share repurchase, and nominating two influential names to their Board of Directors.

On the commodities front, WTI crude trades near fresh session highs, rebounding 9.4% to $28.67/bbl.

10:35 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

Oil prices are the big story today following the late-day headlines about OPEC, which cited that OPEC members are ready to cooperate on cut
Mar WTI crude oil closes the day at $26.14/barrel yesterday, but have since surged higher on those OPEC headlines
Mar crude oil is now +8.8% at $28.52/barrel
In other energy, Mar nat gas is near today's low, now -1.5% at $1.96/MMBtu
Gold is down modestly, -0.8% at $1237.80/oz, while Mar silver is -0.1% at $15.78/oz
Copper is showing nice gains, now +1.4% at $2.04/oz

10:05 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 trades higher by 0.7%

Just released, the preliminary reading of the University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment survey for February decreased to 90.7 (Briefing.com consensus 92.7) from the reading of 92.0 that was reported in January.

Separately, Business Inventories increased 0.1% in December which was in-line with the Briefing.com consensus. The prior month's reading was revised to -0.1% from -0.2%.

9:45 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] As expected, the major averages opened in positive territory with the S&P 500 (+0.9%) pacing the tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.9%).

Nine of ten sectors trade in the green with financials (+2.3%) showing the largest gain of the day. The economically-sensitive group is followed by energy (+1.5%). The remaining gainers show climbs between 0.2% (telecom services) and 0.8% (consumer discretionary). Utilities is the lone decliner with a loss of 0.5%.

On the commodities front, WTI crude continues its rally as the energy component trades at $28.04/bbl (+7.0%). Gold continues to pull back as the precious metal falls 0.8% to $1,237.80/ozt

The yield on the 10-yr treasury note is higher by four basis points at 1.70%.

9:15 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +17.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +38.80.

The stock market is on track for a higher open with S&P 500 futures trading 18 points above fair value.

Overnight, U.S. equity futures rose in tandem with oil as the commodity rebounded from yesterday's 5.1% decline. The energy component climbed as speculation regarding a production cut found new life after the commodity's pit session yesterday. WTI currently trades 6.0% higher at $27.79/bbl. Risk tolerance increased overnight as U.S. Treasuries yields rose and gold prices slipped. Currently, the yield on the 10-yr note is higher by three basis points at 1.69%.

Futures briefly hit new highs after retail sales rose 0.2% (Briefing.com consensus+0.2%) in January. Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.4% while the prior month's reading was revised to 0.1% from -0.1%. Meanwhile, the December Business Inventory Report (Briefing.com consensus -0.1%) and the preliminary reading of the Michigan Sentiment Index for February (Briefing.com consensus 92.7) will cross the wires at 10:00 ET.

On the corporate front, Deutsche Bank (DB 16.87, +1.36) announced that it will buy back more than $ 5 billion worth of senior debt. The bank will announce a public tender offer for dollar and euro denominated unsecured debt securities. This news follows the S&P lowering the lender's tier 1 issue rating to 'B+' from 'BB-'. Meanwhile, JPMorgan Chase's (JPM 55.36, +2.29) CEO, Jamie Dimon, bought 500,000 more shares of JPM stock for roughly $26 million.

8:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +20.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +42.30.

The S&P 500 futures trade 20 points above fair value.

Equity markets in the Asia-Pacific region struggled on Friday with Japan's Nikkei diving 4.8% after being closed on Thursday. The index closed near its session low, but the slide was not congruent with yen strength as the Japanese currency held its ground throughout the night. The dollar/yen pair traded near 112.50 at the start of the Tokyo session and it remains in that area at this time.

In economic data:
Japan's Foreign Bonds Buying JPY1.45 trillion (previous -JPY78.80 billion)
India's January CPI +5.69% year-over-year (expected 5.40%; previous 5.61%)
Australia's December Home Loans +2.6% month-over-month (expected 3.0%; previous 1.9%)
New Zealand's January FPI +2.0% month-over-month (expected 1.2%; last -0.8%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei lost 4.8%, extending this week's drop to 11.1%. All ten sectors finished in negative territory with communications (-6.9%), energy (-6.0%), financials (-5.7%), and materials (-5.6%) leading the retreat. Casio and Sharp both lost near 10.0% while Sumitomo Chemical, Nippon Sheet Glass, Alps Electric, Softbank, Mazda Motor, Fuji Heavy Industries, and Nomura Holdings registered losses between 9.0% and 10.0%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 1.2%, ending the abbreviated week lower by 5.0%. Financials paced the Friday retreat with Ping An Insurance, Bank of China, HSBC Holdings, and China Construction Bank falling between 2.7% and 4.2%. On the upside, gaming names outperformed with Galaxy Entertainment adding 3.1% and Sands China climbing 2.1%.
China's Shanghai Composite was closed for Lunar New Year, but will be open next week.

Major European indices trade higher across the board as they rebound from heavy selling earlier this week. The rebound has coincided with a bounce in oil, overshadowing generally disappointing economic data. The euro, meanwhile, has retreated to 1.1240 against the dollar after climbing above 1.1350 yesterday.

In economic data:
Eurozone Q4 GDP +0.3% quarter-over-quarter, as expected; +1.5% year-over-year, as expected. December Industrial Production -1.0% month-over-month (expected 0.3%; previous -0.5%); -1.3% year-over-year (consensus 0.8%; last 1.4%)
Germany's Q4 GDP +0.3% quarter-over-quarter, as expected; +2.1% year-over-year (consensus 2.3%: last 1.7%). January CPI -0.8% month-over-month, as expected; +0.5% year-over-year, as expected
France's Q4 Nonfarm Payrolls +0.2% (expected 0.1%; last 0.0%)
Italy's Q4 GDP +0.1% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.3%; last 0.2%); +1.0% year-over-year (consensus 1.2%; last 0.8%)
Spain's January CPI -1.9% month-over-month, as expected; -0.3% year-over-year, as expected

---Equity Markets---

France's CAC trades higher by 1.9% with growth-sensitive names in the lead. ArcelorMittal has spiked 6.8% while Total, Technip, Solvay, and Airbus show gains between 2.3% and 4.2%. Financials BNP Paribas and Credit Agricole are both up near 1.8% while Societe Generale trades flat.
Germany's DAX has climbed 2.2% with all but three names on the rise. Commerzbank has surged 15.6% while Deutsche Bank trades up 8.8%. Exporters BMW, Daimler, and Volkswagen show gains between 2.2% and 4.7%. On the downside, Adidas has given up 1.5%.
UK's FTSE has spiked 2.2% with miners pacing the rally. Anglo American, Glencore, Antofagasta, BHP Billiton, and Rio Tinto are up between 6.3% and 15.3%. On the downside, Tesco is lower by 2.5%.

8:30 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +19.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +43.80.

The S&P 500 futures trade 20 points above fair value.

Just released, January retail sales increased 0.2% which was in-line with the Briefing.com consensus. The prior month's reading was revised to +0.2% from -0.1%. Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.4% while the consensus expected a down tick of 0.1%.

8:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +17.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +37.50.

U.S. equity futures hover below overnight highs with the S&P 500 futures trading 17 points above fair value. This morning's positive sentiment can generally be attributed to a 5.1% rebound in oil ($27.55/bbl) from yesterday's pit session close of $26.14/bbl.

Treasury yields rest just below overnight highs with the yield on the 10-yr note higher by two basis point at 1.69%.

On the economic front, the Retail Sales report for January (Briefing.com consensus +0.0%) will be released at 8:30 a.m. ET. Meanwhile, the December Business Inventory Report (Briefing.com consensus -0.1%) and the preliminary reading of the Michigan Sentiment Index for February (Briefing.com consensus 92.7) will cross the wires at 10:00 ET.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

Activision Blizzard (ATVI 27.05, -3.47): -11.4% after the company reported below-consensus Q4 earnings results after yesterday's close
Wynn Resorts (WYNN 61.50, +1.81): +3.0% following above-consensus EPS results on in-line revenue in Q4
Groupon (GRPN 2.75, +0.51): +22.8% after the company beat analyst estimates for Q4 EPS and revenue
JPMorgan Chase (JPM 54.95, +1.88) after CEO Jamie Dimon disclosed the purchase of 500k shares
American International Group (AIG 51.00, +0.48): +1.0% after the company raised its stock's dividend 14.0% and announced a $5 billion share buyback while reporting misses on its Q4 earnings report

Reviewing overnight development:

Asian equity markets ended their week lower with Japan's Nikkei -4.8% and Hong Kong's Hang Seng -1.2%. Meanwhile, China's Shanghai Composite will re-open next week.
In economic data:
Japan's Foreign Bonds Buying JPY1.45 trillion (previous -JPY78.80 billion)
India's January CPI +5.69% year-over-year (expected 5.40%; previous 5.61%)
Australia's December Home Loans +2.6% month-over-month (expected 3.0%; previous 1.9%)
New Zealand's January FPI +2.0% month-over-month (expected 1.2%; last -0.8%)
In news:
The yen was able to hold its ground overnight with the dollar/yen pair at 112.70.

European averages trade higher across the board with Germany's DAX +1.8%, the U.K.'s FTSE +1.8%, and France's CAC +1.5%.
In economic data:
Eurozone Q4 GDP +0.3% quarter-over-quarter, as expected; +1.5% year-over-year, as expected. December Industrial Production -1.0% month-over-month (expected 0.3%; previous -0.5%); -1.3% year-over-year (consensus 0.8%; last 1.4%)
Germany's Q4 GDP +0.3% quarter-over-quarter, as expected; +2.1% year-over-year (consensus 2.3%: last 1.7%). January CPI -0.8% month-over-month, as expected; +0.5% year-over-year, as expected
France's Q4 Nonfarm Payrolls +0.2% (expected 0.1%; last 0.0%)
Italy's Q4 GDP +0.1% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.3%; last 0.2%); +1.0% year-over-year (consensus 1.2%; last 0.8%)
Spain's January CPI -1.9% month-over-month, as expected; -0.3% year-over-year, as expected
In news:
The Euro/Dollar pair has retreated from yesterday's high of 1.1350 to 1.1267

6:13 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +13.80. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +34.60.

6:13 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...14952.6...-760.80...-4.80%. Hang Seng...18319.58...-226.20...-1.20%.

6:13 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...5613.01...+76.00...+1.40%. DAX...8856.75...+103.90...+1.20%.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com