TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: January 11th Monday Trade Results - Profit $8312.50
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
011116-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+8312.50.png
011116-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+8312.50.png [ 96.12 KiB | Viewed 319 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $8312.50 dollars or +166.25 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $8312.50 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=2263

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=282&t=3016 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
011116-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
011116-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 300 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:15 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market began the week on a flat note with the S&P 500 adding 0.1% while the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.1%) trailed the benchmark index. Falling oil prices in the face of global growth concerns continued to weigh on the overall sentiment, short-circuiting a rebound attempt.

Looking overseas, China's Shanghai Composite surrendered 5.3% despite reporting economic data that was largely in-line with analyst expectations. In economic data, China's December CPI increased 0.5% month-over-month (expected 0.4%), moving its year-over-year growth to an increase of 1.6%, as expected. Additionally, December's Producer Price Index fell 5.9% year-over-year versus an expectation of a 5.8% decrease. Despite the slide in Asia, investor sentiment improved once the attention shifted to Europe. However, a morning retreat in crude oil weighed on the stock market as a whole. By the end of the energy-component's pit session, WTI crude had slipped 5.3% to end at $31.41/bbl.

On the leaderboard, commodity-sensitive energy (-2.1%) and materials (-1.6%) claimed the bottom two rungs followed by health care (-1.2%), industrials (+0.1%) and financials (+0.4%). Looking at the flipside, consumer staples (+1.0%), consumer discretionary (+0.9%), telecom services (+0.8%), and technology (+0.6%) lead the pack.

The health care space underperformed the other countercyclical sectors throughout the day as drug wholesalers faced pressure. McKesson (MCK 163.55, -18.84) fell 10.3% after the company narrowed its guidance for FY 2016, citing weaker pricing on generics in the second half of the fiscal year. Fellow drug wholesalers AmerisourceBergen (ABC 94.06, -9.90) and Cardinal Health (CAH 79.27, -4.59) also declined, falling 4.0% and 5.5%, respectively. Elsewhere in the space, biotechnology demonstrated relative weakness evidenced by a 3.5% dive in the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 291.69, -10.51).

Looking at energy, Dow components Exxon Mobil (XOM 73.69, -1.00) and Chevron (80.77, -1.36) outperformed the sector but still sustained substantial losses, with respective declines of 1.3% and 1.7%. Independent oil and gas companies were hit harder by plummeting oil prices with Anadarko Petroleum (APC 37.75, -2.81) and ConocoPhillips (COP 41.12, -2.17) sporting losses of 6.9% and 5.0%.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note moved closer to its morning low as the afternoon session progressed with the yield on the 10-yr higher by six basis points at 2.17%.

Investor participation was above average with more than a billion shares changing hands at the NYSE floor.

No economic data was released today and tomorrow's data will be limited to the November Job Opening and Labor Turnover Survey, which will be released at 10:00 ET.

Russel 2000 -8.2% YTD
Nasdaq -7.4% YTD
S&P 500 -5.9% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average -5.9% YTD

3:30 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

Commodities continues to feel pressured today, partially driven by strength in the dollar index
WTI crude oil broke below $31/barrel today as no bottom appears to be in sight. Front-month Feb crude finished the day -5.3% at $31.41/barrel
Feb nat gas futures felt some pain too, finished today's session -3.6% at $2.39/MMBtu
Precious metals saw very modest losses, while copper futures sunk 2%, closing at $1.97/lb
Feb gold slipped -$1.50 to $1096.00/oz, while Mar silver ended -0.2% at $13.88/oz

3:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As the stock market enters its last hour of trading, the S&P 500 (-0.5%) leads the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.8%).

In sectors, commodity-sensitive energy (-2.7%) and materials (-2.0%) round out the bottom of the board, followed by health care (-2.0%), industrials (-0.4%), and financials (-0.2%). In front of the pack, countercyclical consumer staples (+0.5%), utilities (+0.4%), telecom services (+0.2%) lead, followed by consumer discretionary (UNCH) and technology (-0.1%).

Transports have underperformed today evidenced by the 1.2% decline in the Dow Jones Transportation Average. Losses in the index were led by C.H. Robinson (CHRW 61.17, -1.95) and Norfolk Southern (NSC 75.67, -2.11) which fell 2.7% and 3.1%, respectively.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its low with yield on the 10-yr note higher by four basis points at 2.16%.

2:35 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have lifted from their session lows but remain in the bottom half of their daily trading ranges. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.1%) leads the S&P 500 (-0.4%) and the Nasdaq (-0.9%).

Energy (-2.5%) has trimmed its loss with materials (-1.8%), health care (-1.6%), industrials (-0.4%), and financials (UNCH) following. On the top of the board, countercyclicals consumer staples (+0.6%), utilities (+0.4%), and telecom services (+0.2%) lead the pack.

In the heavily-weighted technology space (+0.2%), sector large-cap Apple (AAPL 98.06, +1.10) outpaces while fellow large-caps Alphabet (GOOGL 728.05, -2.86), Facebook (FB 96.86, -0.46), and Microsoft (MSFT 51.98, -0.35) underperform with losses of 0.4% to 0.7%.

Looking at commodities, by the end of oil's pit session at 14:30 ET, WTI crude pared its loss to 5.3% at $31.41/bbl.

2:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages trade near their session lows with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-1.3%) outpacing the losses of the S&P 500 (-0.9%).

Eight of ten sectors are now showing losses with energy (-3.1%), health care (-2.3%), materials (-2.1%), and industrials (-0.8%) leading the losses. On the flipside, utilities (+0.2%), consumer staples (+0.1%), telecom services (-0.1%) and consumer discretionary (-0.5%) top the board.

In the energy space, Dow components Exxon Mobil (XOM 73.00, -1.69) and Chevron (80.09, -2.02) outperform the sector but still post substantial losses on the day, with respective declines of 2.2% and 2.5%. Elsewhere in the space, independent oil and gas companies are being hit harder by plummeting oil prices, Anadarko Petroleum (APC 37.83, -2.72) and ConocoPhillips (COP 40.98, -2.31) sport losses of 6.7% and 5.2%. On a related note, WTI crude currently trades lower by 6.3% at $31.05/bbl.

Looking at Treasuries, the benchmark note trades higher with the yield on the 10-yr note lower by 2.14%.

1:35 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major US indices have continued to push lower since this morning's open, with stocks near session lows.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Averages shows that Caterpillar (CAT 61.31, -1.98), DuPont (DD 59.25, -1.92), and Exxon Mobil (XOM 72.74, -1.96) are the weakest names in group as industrials, materials, and energy all underperform the broad market.

Conversely, Cisco Systems (CSCO 25.11, +0.33) is the best-performing Dow component, rebounding from last week's extended weakness.

Tacking on to Friday and last week's losses, the DJIA is now down 6.6% in just six trading days to start the year.

1:05 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market floats above its lowest level of the day after surrendering its early advance. The major averages gapped up to begin their days, and have since been unable to move past their flat lines in any substantial way. Falling commodity prices remain in the forefront of the market's mind as global growth and demand issues continue to weigh. The tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.7%) trails the S&P 500 (-0.4%) and the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.1%).
Related Quotes

Overnight, China's Shanghai Index declined 5.3% despite receiving limited data, which fell in line with consensus expectations. China's December CPI rose 0.5% month-over-month (expected 0.4%) moving year-over-year growth to +1.6% as expected. European markets, U.S. equity futures, and oil were able to sport modest gains despite this action in China. However, oil prices slipped from their pre-market high as they stumbled into the trading day. Falling commodity prices have kept continued pressure on equity markets as oil hits a 12-year low. WTI crude currently trades lower by 5.7% at $31.26/bbl.

Commodity-sensitive energy (-2.6%) and materials (-1.7%) occupy the bottom rungs of the leaderboard where they are joined by health care (-1.5%), industrials (-0.3%), and technology (UNCH). In front of the pack, utilities (+0.6%), consumer staples (+0.6%), consumer discretionary (+0.3%), and financials (+0.1) lead.

Looking at the health care space, drug wholesalers have shown relative weakness after McKesson (MCK 163.56, -18.82) narrowed its FY 2016 guidance, citing weak generic pricing in the second half of the fiscal year. The company has plummeted 10.3% on this news. On a related note, AmerisourceBergen (ABC 95.00, -2.96) and Cardinal Health (CAH 80.08, -3.78) have declined 3.1% and 4.4%, respectively. Elsewhere in the space, biotechnology has shown relative weakness evidenced by a decline of 3.8% in the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology (IBB 290.71, -11.49).

In the consumer discretionary sector, the cyclical group has been near the top of the board all morning thanks to relative strength in large name companies like Neflix (NFLX 114.54, +3.15) and Starbucks (SBUX +57.12, +0.49). Elsewhere in the space, Under Armour (UA 68.89, -6.09) is down 8.2% following a downgrade at Morgan Stanley from 'Equal Weight' to 'Underweight'. Additionally, Morgan Stanley cut its target price on the company from $103 to $62, citing recent data that points to market share losses in apparel.

Looking at Treasuries, the benchmark note has moved off its morning low, leaving the 10-yr yield higher by four basis points at 2.15%.

Market participants did not receive any economic data today.

12:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As afternoon trading continues, the major averages are floating above their session lows with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.6%) trailing the S&P 500 (-0.3%).

Energy (--2.0%), materials (-1.6%), health care (-1.4%), and industrials (-0.4%) round out the leaderboard while utilities (+0.6%), consumer staples (+0.5%), consumer discretionary (+0.4%), telecom services (+0.1%), and financials (-0.1%) lead the way.

Looking at the consumer staples spaces, cigarette and tobacco companies are showing relative strength with Philip Morris (PM 88.85, +2.14), Altria Group (MO 59.40, +1.16) and Reynolds American (RAI 48.26, +1.14) showing gains of between 2.0% and 2.5% apiece. Elsewhere, large-cap Wal-Mart (WMT63.99, +0.45) paces the sector with a gain of 0.7%.

In commodities, WTI crude trades at its low, declining 5.5% at $31.33/bbl. Elsewhere in commodities, natural gas trades lower by 2.9% at $2.40/MMbtu.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its high with its yield now higher by three basis points at 2.14%.

12:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices tread water near their flat lines with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.3%) leading the S&P 500 (+0.1%) and the Nasdaq (-0.1%).

In front of the pack, utilities (+0.9%), consumer discretionary (+0.9%), consumer staples (+0.8%), technology (+0.6%), and telecom service (+0.4%) lead. On the flipside, materials (-1.1%), energy (-1.0%), health care (-1.0%), and industrials (UNCH) trail.

In the commodity-sensitive materials space, DuPont (DD 59.98, -1.19) is the second worst performer in the Dow Jones Industrial Average while Dow Chemical (DOW 45.30, -0.98) underperforms in the sector. The two companies sport losses of 1.8% and 1.9% respectively.

In the energy group, sector large caps Exxon Mobil (XOM 74.26, -0.43) and Chevron (CVX 81.72, -0.41) outperform the broader sector with declines of 0.6% and 0.5% respectively. The energy sector leads the downside as oil has pulled of of its session low but remains down 4.1% at $31.80/bbl.

Switching to Treasuries, the benchmark note is trading higher with its yield now higher by three basis points at 2.15%.

11:30 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages are floating near their lows after briefly recovering to near their flat lines. The Nasdaq (-0.6%) outpaces the losses in S&P 500 (-0.2%).

Rounding out the leaderboard, health care (-1.4%), materials (-1.2%), energy (-1.0%), and industrials (-0.4%) remain behind while utilities (+0.9%), consumer staples (+0.5%), consumer discretionary (+0.4%), telecom services (+0.1%), and financials (UNCH) outperform.

In the consumer discretionary sector, the group has been near the top of the board all morning thanks to strong performances from large name companies, Amazon (AMZN 607.83, +0.78), Neflix (NFLX 114.30, +2.91), and Starbucks (SBUX 57.25, +0.61). The three companies have respective gains of 0.1%, 2.6%, and 1.1%. Elsewhere in the space, Under Armour (UA 69.22, -5.78) is down 7.6% following a downgrade from Morgan Stanley which moved the company from 'Equal Weight' to 'Underweight', citing recent data that points to market share losses in apparel. Morgan Stanley also cut its target price on the company from $103 to $62, Fellow apparel component Ralph Lauren (RL 102.01, -1.58) trades lower by 1.6%.

In commodities, WTI crude trades lower by 4.6% at $31.63.

10:55 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages float near their flat lines with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.3%) trailing the S&P 500 (-0.1%) and the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.3%).

On the leaderboard, materials (-1.2%), health care (-1.1%), energy (-0.9%) , and industrials (-0.2%) trail while utilities (+0.6%), consumer discretionary (+0.6%), consumer staples (+0.5%), and technology (+0.2%) lead.

In the health care space, McKesson (MCK 167.24, -15.15) has plummeted 8.3% after the company narrowed its guidance for FY 2016, citing weaker generic pricing in the second half of the fiscal year. The company went on to state that this trend will be offset by a lower tax rate. Other drug wholesalers have also been declining today with AmerisourceBergen (ABC 95.24, -2.72) and Cardinal Health (CAH 80.93, -2.93) showing losses of 2.8% and 3.5% respectively. Elsewhere in the space, biotechnology has shown relative weakness evidenced by a decline of 2.8% in the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 293.67, -8.63).

Looking at commodities, WTI crude trades at its session low, declining 3.1% at $32.10/bbl.

Switching to Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its low with its yield higher by five basis points at 2.16%.

10:40 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

Commodities, as measured by the Bloomberg Commodity Index (-1.2%), are trading lower this morning, while the dollar index (+0.2%) trades higher.
WTI oil rose to over $33/barrel in earlier morning trade, but lost steam
Feb WTI hit a new LoD in recent trade and is now trading -2.3% at $32.40/barrel
Nat gas is weak as well. Front-month Feb NG is currently -3% at $2.40/MMBtu
Gold slid into negative territory in recent trade and just hit a new LoD
Feb gold is now -0.1% at $1096.90/oz, while Mar silver is +0.4% at $13.98/oz
Mar copper futures are weak as well, now -2.1% at $1.98/lb

10:00 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hover above their flat lines with the S&P 500 now unchanged.

In front of the pack, utilities (+0.7%), consumer staples (+0.6%), consumer discretionary (+0.4%), and technology (+0.3%) lead while materials (-1.0%), energy (-0.9%), health care (-0.8%), and industrials (UNCH) round out the board.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note has risen from its low with its yield higher by four basis points at 2.16%.

9:45 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have started their trading day above their flat lines. The tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.4%) paces the S&P 500 (+0.4%).

All ten sectors briefly opened their day in the green. Since the open, energy (-0.4%), materials (-0.2%), and health care (-0.2%) have dipped into negative territory. On the top of the leaderboard, consumer discretionary (+0.8%), consumer staples (+0.7%), utilities (+0.7%), technology (+0.6%), telecom services (+0.6%), and financials (+0.5%) lead.

In commodities, WTI crude has surrendered 2.3%, trading at $32.38/bbl.

Switching to Treasuries, the benchmark note trades on its low with its yield higher by five basis points at 2.17%.

9:15 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +10.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +29.00.

The stock market is on track for a modestly higher open as S&P 500 futures trade 11 points above fair value.

In commodities, WTI crude has pulled back from its recent high with oil lower by 1.6% at $32.65/bbl. Elsewhere, natural gas has declined 2.3% at $2.42/MMbtu.

Domestically, pre-market action has been relatively quiet with no economic data on tap today.

On the corporate front, Alcoa (AA 8.35, +0.28) is trading higher by 3.5% following the announcement of a $1.5 billion dollar long-term contract for jet components with GE Aviation. Additionally, the company is set to release its 4Q earnings after the bell today.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note has slipped to near its low, with its yield higher by five basis points at 2.17%.

8:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +10.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +26.50.

The S&P 500 futures trade ten points above fair value.

The start of the second week of 2016 bore a striking resemblance to the first week of the year as all of the major indices in the Asia-Pacific region ended the day in negative territory. Once again the focus was on China with the Shanghai Composite falling 5.3%, which puts the index back near its September low. Investors did receive the latest inflation data from China, but the numbers were not that far away from expectations. Furthermore, the selling may have taken place in response to an unsatisfied undercurrent of hope for some stimulus action from the People's Bank of China over the weekend. Speaking of the People's Bank of China, the central bank announced a slightly higher fix for the yuan, setting the exchange rate at 6.5626 against 6.5636 from Friday. The PBoC has slowed its devaluation efforts in recent days and it is worth noting that yuan liquidity in Hong Kong has tightened considerably in recent days, sending the overnight Hong Kong Interbank Offered Rate higher by more than 900 basis points to 13.4%. Elsewhere, Japan's Nikkei was closed for Coming of Age Day.

In economic data:
China's December CPI +0.5% month-over-month (expected 0.4%; previous 0.0%); +1.6% year-over-year, as expected (prior +1.5%). Separately, December PPI -5.9% year-over-year (consensus -5.8%; last -5.9%)
Australia's ANZ Job Advertisements -0.1% month-over-month (previous 1.1%)
New Zealand's November Building Consents +1.8% month-over-month (expected 3.8%; last 5.1%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei was closed.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 2.8%, ending at its lowest level since June 2013. Just about every index component settled in the red with Kunlun Energy, China Resources Land, Petrochina, China Shenhua Energy, and CNOOC falling between 4.3% and 7.3%.
China's Shanghai Composite plunged 5.3%. CITC Securities, Agricultural Bank of China, and Bank of China lost between 2.2% and 6.8%.

Major European indices trade higher with Germany's DAX (+1.0%) showing relative strength as regional indices rebound from last week's retreat. The Monday session has been pretty quiet in terms of news with headlines limited to reports indicating the Catalan parliament has elected Charles Pugdemont as the new President who will replace Artur Mas. Following his election, the new leader has vowed to continue the region's push for secession from Spain.

Economic data was limited:
Eurozone January Sentix Investor Confidence 9.6 (expected 12.2; previous 15.7)
Spain's November Industrial Production +4.2% year-over-year (consensus 3.8%; last 4.1%)
Swiss Retail Sales -3.1% year-over-year (consensus 0.3%; last -0.6%)

---Equity Markets---

Germany's DAX is higher by 1.0% with exporters in the lead. Volkswagen has spiked 4.0% while BMW and Daimler are both up near 1.4%. Financials have also shown strength with Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank holding respective gains of 1.7% and 1.3%.
In France, the CAC trades up 1.0% amid gains in more than half of its components. Renault and Peugeot are both up near 1.6% while BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, and Societe Generale have climbed between 0.6% and 1.4%. On the downside, Lafarge is the weakest component, down 1.8%.
UK's FTSE has added 0.4% with roughly half of its components in the green. Miners and energy names outperform with Anglo American, Glencore, and BP up between 1.4% and 4.3%. Homebuilders Barratt Developments and Persimmon underperform with losses close to 1.0% apiece.

8:30 am: S&P futures vs fair value: +10.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +23.80.

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity futures trade higher with S&P 500 futures trading 10 points above fair value.

In company news, Baxalta (BXLT 42.24, +2.23) is trading higher by 5.6% in pre-market, on news that the company will be acquired by Shire PLC for $45.57 a share. Baxalta shareholders will receive $18.00 in cash and 0.1482 Shire shares per Baxalta share.

Meanwhile in commodities, WTI crude has moved off its low, but remains down by 0.6% at $32.95/bbl. On a related note, high-grade copper has declined 1.8% at $1.99/lbs.

Looking at Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its low with its yield higher by four basis points at 2.16%.

8:04 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +5.10. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +15.00.

U.S. equity futures hold modest pre-market gains amid mixed action overseas. The S&P 500 futures hover five points above fair value.

Meanwhile, Treasuries sit in the red with the 10-yr yield up three basis points at 2.15%.

Today will be a quiet day on the economic front with no economic data being released.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

Under Armour (UA 71.30, -3.70): -4.9% following a downgrade at Morgan Stanley to 'Underweight' from 'Equal-Weight' and a price target decrease from $103 to $62.
Alcoa (AA 8.22, +0.13): +1.6% after announcing a $1.5 billion dollar long-term contract with GE Aviation for jet engine components. This news comes ahead of the company releasing earnings today after the bell.
Baxalta (BXLT 42.50, +2.49): +6.2% on reports that the company will be acquired by Shire PLC for $45.57 a share

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended broadly lower with Hong Kong's Hang Seng -2.8% and China's Shanghai Composite -5.3%. Meanwhile, Japan's Nikkei was closed for Coming of Age Day.
In economic data:
China's December CPI +0.5% month-over-month (expected 0.4%; previous 0.0%); +1.6% year-over-year, as expected (prior +1.5%). Separately, December PPI -5.9% year-over-year (consensus -5.8%; last -5.9%)
Australia's ANZ Job Advertisements -0.1% month-over-month (previous 1.1%)
New Zealand's November Building Consents +1.8% month-over-month (expected 3.8%; last 5.1%)
In news:
The People's Bank of China announced a higher fix for the yuan at 6.5626 against 6.5636 from Friday

European indices trade slightly higher with Germany's DAX +0.7%, France's CAC +0.6%, and the U.K.'s FTSE +0.2%.
Economic data was limited:
Eurozone January Sentix Investor Confidence 9.6 (expected 12.2; previous 15.7)
Spain's November Industrial Production +4.2% year-over-year (consensus 3.8%; last 4.1%)
Swiss Retail Sales -3.1% year-over-year (consensus 0.3%; last -0.6%)
In news:
In Spain, the Catalan parliament has elected Charles Pugdemont President replacing Artur Mas. After his election, the new leader vowed to continue the region's push for secession from Spain.

5:59 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +5.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +9.30.

5:58 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...Holiday......... Hang Seng...19888.5...-565.20...-2.80%.

5:58 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...5901...-11.40...-0.20%. DAX...9864.73...+15.40...+0.20%.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com