TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: December 29th Tuesday Trade Results - Loss $625.00
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
122915-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Loss-625.00.png
122915-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Loss-625.00.png [ 92.11 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ ($625.00) dollars or -12.50 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Loss @ ($625.00) dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2253

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=278&t=2988 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
122915-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
122915-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 319 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:15 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market enjoyed a broad-based rally on Tuesday, which lifted the S&P 500 (+1.1%) back into positive territory for the year (+1.0%). The benchmark index was outperformed by the Nasdaq (+1.3%) for the bulk of the day, as technology would lead the advance. Once again it was a very quiet day with fewer than 573 million shares changing hands at the NYSE floor.

Equity indices spiked out of the gate following a jump in oil prices heading into the opening hour. This led to a large initial uptick in commodity-sensitive sectors like energy (+0.7%) and materials (+0.9%). Their rally was short-lived, however, as the struggling sectors couldn't hold the lead. On a related note, WTI crude was able to end its day near its high, climbing 2.8% to $37.86/bbl.

In sectors, technology (+1.3%), health care (+1.2%), consumer discretionary (+1.1%), and financials (+1.1%) lead the pack, while utilities (+0.5%), energy (+0.7%), and telecommunications (+0.7%) rounded out the leaderboard.

The highly-weighted technology sector advanced thanks in large part to a strong showing from large-cap components Apple (AAPL 108.74, +1.92), Alphabet (GOOGL 793.96, +11.72), and Facebook (FB 107.26, 1.33) as the three rallied from 1.3-1.8%. The other major contributor to technology's position atop the leaderboard was the high-beta chipmaker group, which outperformed the broader market with the PHLX Semiconductor Index ending the day higher by 1.2%.

In the health care space, biotechnology was one of the sector's best performers with iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 343.11, +5.89) advancing 1.8% on the day. Elsewhere, sector large-caps AbbVie (ABBV 59.45, +0.70) and Pfizer (PFE 32.83, +0.41) kept pace with the sector.

It was a relatively quiet day with economic data being limited to Consumer Confidence and Case-Shiller 20-City Index:

The Consumer Confidence report for December rose to 96.5 from 90.4 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 93.5
The December survey marked the first increase in consumer confidence since September thanks to an improvement in the Present Situation Index (115.3 from 110.9) and the Expectations Index (83.9 from 80.4)
The Case-Shiller 20-city Index rose 5.5% in October to follow the previous month's 5.5% increase while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 5.4%

Tomorrow's economic data will be limited to last week's MBA Mortgage Index at 7:00 ET and the 10:00 ET release of the Pending Home Sales report for November (Briefing.com consensus +0.5%).

Nasdaq Composite +7.9% YTD
S&P 500 +1.0% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average -0.6% YTD
Russell 2000 -3.7% YTD

3:35 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

In commodities, front-month Feb natural gas futures extended yesterday's notable gains on new weather outlooks
Energy futures just closed floor trading, with Feb nat gas ending +5% at $2.37/MMBtu
Feb WTI crude oil rallied as well, ending the day +3% at $37.89/barrel.
Note: API weekly storage data will be released after the close today at 4:30pm ET. Tomorrow morning at 10:30am ET, the weekly EIA storage oil data will be released
Copper posted a nice run as well with the front-month Mar contract closing +3% at $2.14/lb
Feb gold ended today's session unchanged at $1068.10/oz, while Mar silver rose three cents to $13.94/oz

3:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As the market enters its last hour of trading, the Nasdaq (+1.4%) remains ahead of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.2%) and the S&P 500 (+1.1%)

In the front of the pack, technology (+1.6%), health care (+1.3%), and consumer discretionary (+1.2%) look to end their days near their highs. On the flipside, utilities (+0.5%), energy (+0.5%), and telecommunication (+0.6%) remain at the bottom of the leaderboard. Including today's advance, energy has slid 1.3% this week and 9.1% in the month of December.

Meanwhile, energy component WTI crude has not fluctuated too heavily for most of the afternoon as oil advanced 2.8% today at $37.85/bbl. Elsewhere in commodities, natural gas has tacked on an increase of 4.6% to this week's gain, as the commodity trades at $2.36/MMbtu

In currencies, the U.S. Dollar Index is trading below its session high and currently sits in the middle of the days trading range at 98.13.

2:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages trade near session highs with the S&P 500 (+1.1%) behind both the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.2%) and the Nasdaq (+1.4%).

Elsewhere, the Dow Jones Transportation Average continues to lag behind the broader market as heavily-weighted components FedEx (FDX 149.35, +0.94) and UPS (UPS 97.53, +0.53) continue to underperform the larger market with advances of 0.7% and 0.6%, respectively.

In specific industries, major airlines continue to feel the pressure of today's 2.9% increase in crude oil, as Delta Airlines (DAL 52.10, +0.15) and United Continental Holdings (UAL 59.25, +0.24) show modest gains of 0.4% apiece.

Moving to Treasuries, the benchmark note trades lower with yield on the note higher by eight basis points at 2.31%.

2:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As the afternoon session wears on, the tech-heavy Nasdaq trades higher by 1.3% with the S&P 500 (+1.1%) trailing.

In sectors, telecommunication (+0.6%), utilities (+0.6%), energy (+0.7%), and consumer staples (+0.8%) round out the bottom of the leaderboard while information technology (+1.5%) extends its gains at the front of the pack.

In the heavily-weighted technology sector, Apple (AAPL 109.09, +2.27) has increased its gain on the day to 2.1% as it surpasses Alphabets' (GOOGL 795.91, +13.67) uptick of 1.8%. Meanwhile, the PHLX Semiconductor Index continues to outperform the broader market as it too extends its rally, now higher by 1.5%.

Elsewhere in the consumer discretionary space, Amazon (AMZN 693.62, +18.23) outperforms, as Disney (107.05, -0.21) struggles to reach its flat line.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note continues to trade lower with its yield higher by six basis points at 2.30%.

1:25 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Quiet afternoon action continues with the key indices drifting just below their session highs. The S&P 500 trades up 1.0% after having spent the past three hours in a three-point range just below its best level of the day.

Top-weighted technology (+1.3%) and health care (+1.2%) sectors have underpinned the broader market and their ongoing strength has kept the key indices near their highs amid quiet afternoon action.

Thanks to today's gain, the health care sector is now up 3.0% for the month, extending its 2015 advance to 6.7%. That solid increase puts the sector only behind the consumer discretionary space (+0.9%), which has spiked 10.1% since the end of 2014.

On a separate note, the Treasury held a $35-billion 5-yr auction, which was met with a lackluster demand, evidenced by the lowest bid-to-cover ratio (2.32) since 2009. Post-auction selling in the 10-yr note has run its yield to 2.29% (+6 bps).

1:05 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages trade just below their session highs as afternoon trading continues. Overseas action ended on a positive note with light news and volume. As a result, the price of oil once again took center stage. After an initial rally in commodity based sectors, the market has spent early afternoon action near its opening high. The Nasdaq (+1.1%) is leading the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.0%) and the S&P 500 (+0.9%).
Related Quotes

Overnight, oil was able to hold onto some modest gains, finding traction above the $37.00/bbl price level during this morning's session. WTI crude rallied into the opening hour, leading to sharp buying action in the beleaguered energy sector at the open. The space was up as much as 1.4% today before returning most of those gains.

In sectors, technology (+1.3%), health care (+1.2%), consumer discretionary (+0.9%), and consumer staples (+0.8%) lead to the upside. Meanwhile, energy (+0.3%), telecommunications (+0.4%), and materials (+0.5%) round out the leaderboard.

The top-weighted technology space has been helped by strong performances from large cap-constituents Alphabet (GOOGL 796.50, +14.26) and Apple (AAPL 108.42, +1.60) with a respective gains of 1.8% and 1.5%. Elsewhere in the technology, high-beta chipmakers outperform the broader market with an advance of 1.1% in the PHLX Semiconductor Index.

Switching to the consumer discretionary space, retailers are showing some post-holiday strength with Amazon (AMZN 692.96, +17.76), Target (TGT 74.52, +1.65), and Wal-Mart (WMT 61.58, +0.83) leading the group with gains ranging from 1.4-2.6%.

Meanwhile in commodities, WTI crude remains near its session high with oil trading at $37.78/bbl, an uptick of 2.6% today. This hasn't helped the energy sector too much as the sector moved off its opening high. Large-cap component Chevron (CVX 91.50, +1.14) was up 2.5% earlier but has narrowed that gain to 1.3%.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note has traded near its low for most of the day with its yield rising five basis points to 2.28%.

Economic data was limited to Consumer Confidence and Case-Shiller 20-City Index:

The Consumer Confidence report for December rose to 96.5 from 90.4 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 93.5
The December survey marked the first increase in consumer confidence since September thanks to an improvement in the Present Situation Index (115.3 from 110.9) and the Expectations Index (83.9 from 80.4)
The Case-Shiller 20-city Index rose 5.5% in October to follow the previous month's 5.5% increase while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase of 5.4%

12:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages drift near their highs with the Nasdaq (+1.1%) leading the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+1.0%) and the S&P 500 (+0.9%).

In sectors, technology (+1.3%), health care (+1.0%), and consumer discretionary (+1.0%) remain at the top of the leaderboard while energy (+0.4%), telecommunications (+0.5%), and materials (+0.6%) trail.

In the energy sector, many of the components opened strong but were unable to maintain their advances. Large-cap component Chevron (CVX 91.33, +0.97) was up more than 2.5% today before the stock slid from its high to narrow its gain to 1.0%. Elsewhere in energy, Kinder Morgan (KMI 15.02, -0.24) traded higher by 3.0% before falling for a loss of 1.4% thus far today.

Meanwhile in commodities, WTI crude remains higher by 2.5% at $37.72/bbl.

12:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hover beneath their session highs with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (+0.9%) still showing an advantage over the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.9%) and the S&P 500 (+0.8%).

In sectors, energy (+0.3%), industrials (+0.4%), materials (+0.5%), and telecommunication (+0.5%) round out the leaderboard. On the other side, health care (+1.1%), and technology (+1.1%) currently occupy the top two spots.

In health care, biotechnology has been one of the day's best performers with iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 341.52, +4.30) showing advances of 1.2%. Elsewhere, large-cap components Pfizer (PFE 32.77, +0.35) and AbbVie (ABBV 59.45, +0.70) sector perform.

In Treasuries, the 10-yr note trades near its low with yield higher by four basis points to 2.27%.

11:30 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices hover near their session highs with the Nasdaq (+1.1%) outperforming the S&P 500 (+0.9%).

In sectors, technology (+1.2%) is showing a slight advantage over health care (+1.1%) at the top of the leaderboard. Meanwhile, energy (+0.5%) has returned most of its advance, as it slides to the back of the pack.

In the technology space, a strong showing from large-cap constituent Alphabet (GOOGL 796.60, +14.37) has helped the sector climb to the top of the leaderboard. The company is up 1.8% so far today. Elsewhere in technology, the high-beta chipmakers are outperforming the broader market, evidenced by an uptick of 1.2% in the PHLX Semiconductor Index. In this group, Qualcomm (QCOM 50.75, +1.17) has seen the sharpest increase, following consecutive days of patent-license deals with companies in China.

11:00 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] As morning trade continues, the tech-heavy Nasdaq (+1.0%) is leading the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.9%) and the S&P 500 (+0.8%). Including today's advance, the benchmark index has returned to positive territory on the year with a year-to-date gain of 0.7%.

Moving to the leaderboard, technology (+1.1%), health care (+1.1%), and consumer discretionary (+1.0%) now jockey for the top-spot, while utilities (+0.4%) and telecommunications (+0.4%) remain behind the broader market. It is interesting to note that energy (+0.5%) has slipped to the bottom of the leaderboard despite crude oil maintaining its advances at $37.75/bbl (+2.6%).

In the consumer discretionary space, retailers are having the strongest performances of the day with Amazon (AMZN 685.47, +10.27), Target (TGT 74.42, +1.55), and Wal-Mart (WMT 61.66, +0.91) leading the group with respective gains of 1.6%, 2.2%, and 1.5%. In regards to Target, with today's move the stock has now climbed above its 50-day moving average (73.86).

Meanwhile in Treasuries, the benchmark note is trading near its low with yield higher by four basis points at 2.27%.

10:10 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar trended near-flat in overnight trade, as speculation about further Euro stimulus kept dollar gains in check, ahead of US Housing/Consumer data
The index saw gradual strengthening however as the morning progressed (overwhelming sentiment from commentary out of the ECB's Yves Mersh), which extended on the release of in-line Case-Shiller Home price data (+5.5% vs. 5.4% est.).
The index is now holding gains of +0.3% to 98.25 - amidst a Consumer Confidence reading of 96.5 (vs a 93.5 consensus)
WTI has traded higher all session-shirking strength in the dollar- on a bounce from yesterday's strong losses.
Catalysts have been peripherally bearish this session, with Saudi Arabia 2016 budget cuts (potentially on est. for Y/Y lower oil prices) and Iranian on-coming supply details not putting much pressure on the February contract.
February WTI is now at strong gains of +2.4% to $37.67/barrel
Natural gas has extended yesterday's enormous gains, climbing to well above the unchanged mark on revised forecasts calling for cooler national weather trends.
Nat gas is now +4.9% to $2.37/MMBtu
Metals are broadly higher this morning, with Copper boasting the biggest positive performance amidst reports that nine large-scale Chinese smelters have agreed to cut sales of the red metal by up to 200K tons in 1Q16. Copper is now +3.2% to $2.14/lb. Gold is +0.2% to $1070.00/oz and silver is +0.9% to $14.02/oz

10:00 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 trades higher by 0.8% with ten sectors showing advances on the day. In the front of the pack financials (+1.0%), energy (+1.0%), materials (+1.0%), and consumer discretionary (+0.9%) lead the sectors.

Just released, the consumer confidence reading for December came in at 96.5 while economists polled by Briefing.com expected the survey to hit 93.5. This followed the prior month's revised reading of 92.6 (from 90.4).

9:45 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices have opened above their flat lines with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.9%) outpacing the S&P 500 (+0.8%) and the Nasdaq (+0.7%).

In sectors, energy (+1.0%) is on top of the leaderboard with financials (+1.0%) and materials (+0.9%) following. On the flipside, utilities (+0.5%) and telecommunication (+0.4%) currently round out the board. Most sectors are trading in a tight range from health care (+0.7%) to consumer discretionary (+0.8%).

Meanwhile in commodities, WTI crude has managed to maintain its pre-market rally through the open, and currently trades higher by 2.3% at $37.66/bbl.

Switching to Treasuries, the benchmark note has fallen to fresh lows pushing its yield higher by three basis points at 2.26%.

9:14 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +13.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +30.00.

The stock market is on track for a higher open with S&P futures trading 13 points above fair value. This positive move in futures corresponds to similar gains in oil. The commodity rose steadily throughout overnight session and surged in pre-market trading. WTI crude is up 2.4%, at $37.68/bbl.

Index futures climbed on relatively quiet sessions in Asia and Europe. No economic data of note was released during Asia's session. Meanwhile in Europe, Italy's December Consumer Confidence narrowly beat expectations 117.6 (expected 117.0) and Business Confidence had a near miss 104.1 (consensus 104.2). Elsewhere, Spain's November Retail Sales missed +3.3% year-over-year (consensus 4.6%).

In domestic corporate news, Micron Technology (MU 14.44, +0.25) is trading higher by 1.8% following the disclosure of insider purchasing by CFO E. Maddock. Elsewhere, Apple (AAPL 107.15, +0.33) has been relatively unfazed following a report from Digitimes that stated that Q4 iPhone shipments from production lines were 5-10% lower than expected.

Meanwhile in Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its low with yield higher by two basis points at 2.25%.

9:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +14.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +32.30.

The S&P 500 futures trade 14 points above fair value.

Just released, the Case-Shiller 20-city Home Price Index for October rose 5.5% against the Briefing.com consensus of 5.4%. This followed the previous month's increase of 5.5%.

8:55 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +14.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +32.50.

The S&P 500 futures trade 14 points above fair value.

Markets in the Asia-Pacific region ended Tuesday on a mostly higher note with China's Shanghai Composite (+0.9%) rebounding from Monday's dive. Broadly speaking, the session was very quiet with just a few news items crossing the wires. The People's Bank of China continued nudging the yuan lower, setting a 4.5-year low fix for the currency against the dollar. On a separate note, the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences expects 2015 GDP to hit 6.9% and slow to 6.8% in 2016.

Investors did not receive any economic data of note

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei registered its second consecutive gain, climbing 0.6%. Every sector ended the day in the green with health care (+1.6%) and financials (+1.0%) in the lead. Looking at individual issues, Tokyo Dome, Alps Electric, Casio, Toshiba, and Takeda Pharmaceutical gained between 2.7% and 7.0%. On the downside, Pioneer and Fast Retailing lost 1.5% and 1.0%, respectively.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng added 0.4% thanks to gains in most components. Consumer names Belle International, Li & Fung, and Want Want China advanced between 0.9% and 3.0% while energy companies struggled. Petrochina, China Petroleum & Chemical, and CNOOC lost between 0.2% and 1.5%.
China's Shanghai Composite gained 0.9%, drawing strength from financials. Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China, and Industrial & Commercial Bank gained between 0.4% and 1.3%. On the downside, COSCO Holdings registered its second consecutive decline, falling 3.7%.

European markets have drifted higher in light holiday trade. British traders have returned into the fold following yesterday's Boxing Day holiday, but the FTSE (+0.5%) trails other regional indices. Meanwhile, the euro remains in the 1.0918 area against the dollar after trading higher yesterday.

Economic data was limited:
Spain's November Retail Sales +3.3% year-over-year (consensus 4.6%; previous 6.0%)
Italy's December Consumer Confidence 117.6 (expected 117.0; previous 118.4) and Business Confidence 104.1 (consensus 104.2; prior 104.4)

---Equity Markets---

UK's FTSE is higher by 0.5% with homebuilders in the lead. Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon are both up near 2.3%. Hikma Pharmaceuticals has climbed 3.6% while miners Anglo American, Antofagasta, and Rio Tinto show losses between 2.3% and 7.5%.
France's CAC has climbed 1.6% to test last week's high. ArcelorMittal is the lone decliner, trading lower by 3.0%, while Airbus, Technip, AXA, and Sanofi lead with gains between 1.7% and 2.0%.
Germany's DAX trades higher by 1.7% amid gains in all but two components. Financials Deutsche Boerse and Deutsche Bank lead with respective gains of 2.7% and 2.1% while heavyweights Adidas, Bayer, and SAP have climbed between 1.4% and 1.8%.

8:29 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +10.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +25.60.

The S&P 500 futures trade ten points above fair value.

In company specific news, Qualcomm (QCOM 50.27, +0.69) trades 1.4% higher following consecutive days of Chinese patent and license agreements. Today, the company signed a royalties-bearing agreement with Haier and Beijing Tianyu Communications Equipment Company in regards to the manufacturing of their patented 3GWCDMA and CDMA2000 equipment.

Meanwhile in commodities, WTI crude has continued its overnight rally through pre-market trading. The energy component is up 1.0%, trading at $37.18/bbl.

8:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +9.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +23.80.

U.S. equity futures trade near their pre-market highs with the S&P 500 futures currently nine points above fair value.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note currently sits near its pre-market low with yield higher by one basis point at 2.24%.

On the economic front, October Case-Shiller 20-city Index (Briefing.com consensus 5.4%) and December Consumer Confidence (Briefing.com consensus 93.5) will be reported at 9:00 ET and 10:00 ET, respectively.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

Pep Boys (PBY 18.49, +1.08):+6.2% following news that Icahn Enterprises raised their cash bid for the company to $18.50 per share
Boeing (BA 145.00, +0.46): +0.3% after the company was awarded a $357.8 million indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract from the Department of Defense on their DSU-38 A/B Precision Laser Guided Sets
Qualcomm (QCOM 50.14, +0.56): +1.1% on the news that the company entered into a Chinese patent license agreement with Haier and Beijing Tianyu Communication Equipment

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended their sessions higher with China's Shanghai Composite +0.9%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng +0.4% and Japan's Nikkei +0.6%.
Economic data:
Investors did not receive any economic data of note
In news:
The People's Bank of China continued nudging the yuan lower, setting a 4.5-year low fix for the currency against the dollar
The Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences expects 2015 GDP to hit 6.9% and slow to 6.8% in 2016

European indices are trading broadly higher with Germany's DAX +1.5%, France's CAC +1.4%, and the U.K.'s FTSE +0.4%.
Economic data was limited:
Spain's November Retail Sales +3.3% year-over-year (consensus 4.6%; previous 6.0%)
Italy's December Consumer Confidence 117.6 (expected 117.0; previous 118.4) and Business Confidence 104.1 (consensus 104.2; prior 104.4)
In news:
The euro trades in the 1.0973 range against the dollar

5:50 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +9.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +24.30.

5:50 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...18982.23...+108.90...+0.60%. Hang Seng...21999.62...+80.00...+0.40%.

5:50 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...6275.80...+21.20...+0.30%. DAX...10816.63...+162.70...+1.50%.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com