TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: December 31st Thursday Trade Results - No Trades
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Quote:
No trades today....resting and relaxing for an all nigh New Years Eve celebration. Happy New Year everybody that reads my trade journal. I hope its a profitable year and a safe year for all. I'm expecting a volatile trading year and such often results in more profits. Take care and see all soon in 2016.

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $0.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2255

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=278&t=2988 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
123115-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
123115-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 612 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:15 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market ended its last session of the year under broad-based selling pressure, which pushed the S&P 500 (-0.9%) into negative territory for the year (-0.7%). This represented the first year-to-date loss for the benchmark index since 2008. The benchmark index outperformed the Nasdaq (-1.2%) today as the technology sector paced today's retreat. On the year though, the Nasdaq outperformed with a year-to-date return of 5.7%. Unsurprisingly, it was a quiet end to the year with fewer than 740 million shares changing hands at the NYSE floor.

The major averages slipped at the beginning of their day as pressure in oil helped to dampen futures trading. Oil prices fell through pre-market trading, but they eventually rebounded to their overnight levels. Oil rallied during the afternoon before settling near the $37.13/bbl price level with a 1.5% gain.

In sectors, energy (+0.3%), industrials (-0.7%), materials (-0.8%), and financials (-0.9%) lead, while technology (-1.4%), utilities (-1.1%), and consumer staples (-1.1%) rounded out the leaderboard. It is interesting to note, that only two cyclical sectors posted gains in 2015. The top-weighted technology sector gained 4.3% while the consumer discretionary space (-1.0%) rallied 8.4%. On the other side, energy ended the year down 23.6% while materials surrendered 10.0%. Both sectors responded to year-long weakness in commodities, which was highlighted by a 32.2% plunge in crude oil.

Looking at the energy space, Dow component Chevron (CVX 89.96, -0.13) struggled to keep pace with the broader sector while pipeline companies outperformed. Kinder Morgan (KMI 14.92, +0.38) advanced 2.6% following the developments in oil. To be fair though, pipeline companies also benefited from the strong performance of natural gas, which spiked 6.0% to $2.34/MMbtu following a bullish inventory reading.

In the heavily-weighted technology sector, large-cap constituents Apple (AAPL 105.26, -2.06), Alphabet (GOOGL 778.01, -12.29), and Facebook (FB 104.66, -1.56) saw increased pressure as the three underperformed the broader sector with performances 1.9%, 1.6%, and 1.5% respectively. For the year Apple lost 4.6% while Alphabet soared 46.6% and Facebook surged 33.8%.

Treasuries ended their abbreviated session on their highs with the 10-yr yield slipping three basis points to 2.27%.

The stock market will be closed tomorrow in observation of New Years Day.

It was a relatively quiet day on the economic front with data being limited to Chicago PMI and Initial and Continuing Claims:

The Chicago Purchasing Managers Index fell to 42.9 (Briefing.com consensus 50.1) from November's 48.7.
Initial claims increased by 20,000 in the week ending December 26 to 287,000 (Briefing.com consensus 270,000).
No special factors influenced this jump which pushed the four week average up 4,500 to 272,500.
Continuing claims for the week ending December 19th increased by 3,000 to 2.198 million (Briefing.com consensus 2.213 million)
This moved the four week average higher by 9,250 to 2.220 million.

Monday's data will be limited to the 10:00 ET release of November Construction spending report (Briefing.com consensus 0.8%) and the December ISM Index (Briefing.com consensus 49.0).

Nasdaq +5.7% YTD
S&P 500 -0.7% YTD
Dow Jones -2.2% YTD
Russell 2000 -5.9% YTD

Week in Review: 2015 Ends on Shaky Note

The stock market began the abbreviated trading week on a lower note with the S&P 500 surrendering 0.2%; however, Monday's participation left a lot to be desired considering fewer than 600 million shares changed hands at the NYSE floor. Equity indices stumbled out of the gate with the energy sector (-1.8%) leading the opening slide. The growth-sensitive sector responded to a nightlong retreat in crude oil, which settled lower by 3.3% at $36.86/bbl. The energy component saw additional selling pressure after China reported its sixth consecutive monthly decline in industrial profits (-1.4% in November). The disappointing data from China cast a pall on the overall risk sentiment and a 2.6% decline in the Shanghai Composite certainly did not help matters. Interestingly, the index held its ground through the first half of the session, but plunged in afternoon trade. The situation was a bit different in the U.S. as stocks stumbled out of the gate, spending the afternoon in a slow rally off late-morning lows. Two sectors-consumer discretionary (+0.3%) and utilities (+0.2%)-eked out slim gains while the remaining eight groups registered losses.

Equities enjoyed a broad-based rally on Tuesday, which lifted the S&P 500 (+1.1%) back into positive territory for the year (+1.0%). The benchmark index was outperformed by the Nasdaq (+1.3%) for the bulk of the day, as technology would lead the advance. Once again it was a very quiet day with fewer than 573 million shares changing hands at the NYSE floor. Equity indices spiked out of the gate following a jump in oil prices heading into the opening hour. This led to a large initial uptick in commodity-sensitive sectors like energy (+0.7%) and materials (+0.9%). Their rally was short-lived, however, as the struggling sectors couldn't hold the lead. On a related note, WTI crude was able to end its day near its high, climbing 2.8% to $37.86/bbl.

The major indices ended Wednesday on a negative note after the market faced substantial selling pressure into the close with all the key averages settling near their lows. Despite the retreat, the S&P 500 (-0.7%) was able to stay in positive territory for the year (+0.2%). The benchmark index outperformed the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.8%), which narrowed its 2015 advance to 7.0%. Equity indices slipped into the open after overnight selling pressure in oil drove the commodity below the $37.00/bbl price level. This price action came after the American Petroleum Institute reported that crude stockpiles rose by 2.9 million barrels versus a decrease of 3.6 million barrels last week. An hour after the open, the Energy Information Administration disclosed a build of 2.629 million barrels on their weekly crude inventory report versus an expected draw of 2.457 million barrels. The commodity fell 2.9% on the day, ending at $36.80/bbl. Accordingly, the commodity-sensitive energy (-1.5%) and materials (-1.0%) sectors posted the largest losses while utilities (-0.2%), consumer staples (-0.4%), healthcare (-0.5%), industrials (-0.8%), technology (-0.8%), consumer discretionary (-0.8%), and financials (-0.8%) outperformed.

3:40 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar index continues to trade near today's high, now +0.4%, which is helping weigh on commodities
After rallying 26% between Dec 21-29, front-month U.S. Feb natural gas futures lost steam yesterday on new weather forecasts, sliding 7% to end the session at $2.21/MMBtu
However, trading interest reversed again today and front-month U.S. nat gas futures rallied +6% in today's session to close at $2.34/MMBtu
Metals closed mixed today with Mar silver sliding three cents to $13.81/oz and Feb gold rising $0.80 to $1060.40/oz Mar copper slipped one cent to $2.14/oz.

3:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As the stock market enters its last hour of trading for 2015, the Nasdaq (-0.6%) trades in line with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.6%) and both trail the S&P 500 (-0.5%). Meanwhile, the benchmark index currently shows a loss of 0.3% year-to-date.

In the front of the pack, energy (+0.5%), materials (-0.3%), financials (-0.4%), and industrials (-0.2%) lead. On the flipside, technology (-1.0%), consumer staples (-0.9%), telecom services (-0.8%), and utilities (-0.8%) trail. Including today's performance, energy has lost 9.9% in the month of December and 23.5% in 2015. Elsewhere on the monthly leaderboard, the four countercylical sectors remain the only groups in positive territory for December, ranging from consumer staples (+2.2%) and telecom service (+1.9%).

In currencies, the U.S. Dollar Index has risen steadily throughout the afternoon and currently trades higher by 0.4% at 98.69.

2:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have retreated past their afternoon highs, as they currently re-enter the lower half of their trading ranges. Currently, the Nasdaq (-0.7%) underperforms the S&P 500 (-0.5%), as the benchmark index trades in negative territory on the year (-0.3%).

The heavily-weighted technology sector (-1.1%) has extended its losses due to poor performances in large-cap components Apple (AAPL 104.96, -2.36) and Alphabet (GOOGL 781.11, -9.19). Also of note, the PHLX Semiconductor Index trades lower by 0.9%, owed partially to Texas Instrument's (TXN 55.05, -1.11) loss of 2.0% on the day.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note continues to maintain its gain with the yield on the 10-yr note lower by three basis points at 2.27%.

1:55 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As afternoon trading continues the major averages hover above the midpoint of their trading ranges. The Nasdaq (-0.4%) trails the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.3%) and the S&P 500 (-0.2%).

Seven of ten sectors trade in the red, with energy (+0.8%) showing the only tangible advance. The financial sector (UNCH) and materials (UNCH) continue to flirt with positive territory, as technology (-0.7%), telecom services (-0.6%), utilities (-0.6%), and consumer staples (-0.5%) show the largest losses.

In the health care space (-0.2%), large-cap component Pfizer (PZE 32.40, -0.34) lags behind the sector with a loss of 1.0%. Elsewhere in the space, biotechnology outperforms, evidenced as iShare Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 340.64, -0.22) once again approaches its flat line (UNCH).

In commodities, WTI crude has backed away from its highs but remains up by 2.5% at $37.51/bbl.

1:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have backed away from their rebound highs, but the S&P 500 (-0.4%) remains in the top half of today's trading range. The afternoon action will determine whether the benchmark index ends 2015 in the green, but it is worth noting that today's trading conditions have been very thin.

To that point, fewer than 300 million shares have changed hands at the NYSE floor today, suggesting the final tally is likely to come in well below the 200-day average of 870 million after the previous three sessions saw daily NYSE floor volume between 545 and 598 million.

Treasuries continue holding modest gains with the 10-yr yield down two basis points at 2.27%.
Related Quotes

1:05 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices hold modest midday losses after a steady climb off their opening lows. Oil has been in focus in early trade, but disappointing economic data has contributed to the cautious first half. The Nasdaq (-0.2%) trails the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.2%) and the S&P 500 (-0.1%). Thanks to the rebound, the benchmark index remains in the green for 2015 with a slim uptick of 0.1%.

Oil slid throughout pre-market trading following slight overnight weakness in the limited number of foreign equity markets that were open for trading. Oil prices had reclaimed their overnight levels by midmorning and advanced into positive territory by the start of afternoon trading. As a result, WTI crude currently trades higher by 3.0% at $37.70/bbl.

Commodity-sensitive energy (+0.6%) and materials (+0.2%) sectors have been the primary beneficiaries of the upswing in oil. To be fair, despite today's relative strength the energy sector is still down 2.1% this week and down 23.4% for the year. On the other side of the leaderboard, utilities (-1.0%), telecom services (-0.5%), technology (-0.4%), and consumer staples (-0.4%) round out the steepest losses on the day.

In the energy space, sector large-cap Chevron (CVX 90.74, +0.65) has kept pace with the broader sector, as independent oil and gas companies and pipeline companies reap larger gains. Kinder Morgan (KMI 14.84, +0.30) has advanced 2.0% following the developments in oil. Also of note, natural gas has had a strong performance thus far today, with the energy-component trading near its high at $2.35/MMbtu (+6.2%), following a bullish inventory reading.

Moving to the technology space, heavily-weighted constituent Apple (AAPL 105.84, -1.48) has slipped 1.4% as it underperforms the broader sector. Including today's loss, Apple is down 4.3% on the year. Fellow large-cap Alphabet (GOOGL 785.79, -4.51) also trails the sector with a decline of 0.6%. Meanwhile high-beta chipmakers trade in line with the sector, evidenced by the 0.6% decline in the PHLX Semiconductor Index.

Treasuries sit on their highs with the 10-yr yield down two basis points at 2.27%.

It was a relatively quiet day on the economic front with data being limited to Chicago PMI and Initial and Continuing Claims:

The Chicago Purchasing Managers Index fell to 42.9 (Briefing.com consensus 50.1) from November's 48.7.
Initial claims increased by 20,000 in the week ending December 26 to 287,000 (Briefing.com consensus 270,000).
No special factors influenced this jump which pushed the four week average up 4,500 to 272,500.
Continuing claims for the week ending December 19th increased by 3,000 to 2.198 million (Briefing.com consensus 2.213 million)
This moved the four week average higher by 9,250 to 2.220 million.

12:30 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages are advancing towards their flat lines with the S&P 500 (-0.1%) outperforming the Nasdaq (-0.3%).

Four of ten sectors are in positive territory, with energy (+0.8%) leading the advance. On the flipside, utilities (-1.2%), telecom services (-0.6%), technology (-0.5%), and consumer staples (-0.3%) round out the board.

Advances in the energy sector are being led by independent oil and gas companies like Devon Energy Corp. (DVN 32.03, +1.03) which is up 3.3%. Meanwhile, large-cap component Chevron (CVX 90.81, +0.72) keeps pace with the advance in the broader sector. Energy remains down 9.6% in the month of December and 23.2% in 2015.

Elsewhere, in the technology sector, Apple (AAPL 105.82, -1.50) continues to underperform the broader sector and market.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note is trading lower with its yield now unchanged at 2.29%.

12:00 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] As afternoon trading begins, stocks continue their advance as they enter the middle of their trading ranges. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.3%) paces the S&P 500 (-0.3%) as the Nasdaq (-0.4%) trails.

In sectors, energy (+0.3%) has been able to climb into positive territory following the continued advance of WTI crude. Oil has returned to its overnight level with the commodity currently trading at $37.69/bbl, up 3.0% today.

Elsewhere in industry news, airlines have shown relative weakness following a Wall Street Journal article citing increased competition between major airlines and low-cost carriers. Major airlines, American Airlines (AAL42.18, -0.61) and Delta Airlines (DAL 50.70, -0.47) have respective losses of 1.3% and 1.0% today. Low-cost carrier Spirit Airlines (SAVE 40.01, -1.13) has managed to outpace those losses with a decline of 2.7%.

11:30 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices trade above their session lows, but remain near the lower half of their trading ranges, as the S&P 500 (-0.6%) and Nasdaq (-0.6%) keep pace with each other.

On the top of the leaderboard, energy (-0.2%), materials (-0.3%), and health care (-0.3%) trade within a narrow range of one another. Rounding out the leaderboard, the utilities sector has slid 1.9% thus far today.

In the health care space, biotechnology slightly outpaces the broader sector as evidenced by iShare Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 340.19, -0.67) which has advanced towards its flat line since the opening bell.

Meanwhile in Treasuries, the benchmark trades near its high with its yield lower by three basis points to 2.27%.

11:00 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices have moved off of their session lows with the tech-heavy Nasdaq (-0.7%) even with the S&P 500 (-0.7%). The S&P 500 trades in negative territory for the year, showing a loss of 0.5%, while the Nasdaq is posting a gain of 6.2% year-to-date.

In sectors, energy (-0.1%) sits atop the leaderboard. On the flipside, utilities (-1.4%), technology (-1.0%), consumer staples (-1.0%), and telecom services (-0.8%) lead the downside.

In the consumer staples group, large-cap constituents Coca-Cola (KO 43.00, -0.57) and General Mills, Inc (GIS 57.49, -1.06) outpace the losses in the broader sector with losses of 1.2% and 1.8%, respectively.

Moving to commodities, WTI crude has been able to move into positive territory with an advance of 0.1% at $36.65/bbl. Elsewhere, natural gas trades near its high, $2.34/MMbtu (+5.7%), following a better than expected reading regarding U.S. natural gas storage. Inventories for 12/26 reported a draw of 58 billion cubic feet versus the previous draw of 32 billion cubic feet.

10:35 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar index trended near-flat overnight, before seeing a gradual lift to positives in early trade ahead of the morning's US unemployment and PMI data.
The index extended those gains amidst higher than expected initial claims (287K vs. 270K cons.) and better than expected continuing claims (2.2 mln vs. 2.21 mln cons.)
And despite a weak Chicago PMI (at 42.9 vs. 50.1 cons.)- the dollar continues to show gains of +0.3% to 98.54
Crude traded moderately positive overnight, before seeing heavy selling pressure in early trade- as the market re-focused on bearish EIA inventory report data (a 2.63 mln build vs. draw expectations) ahead of today's noon BHI rig count.
The gradually strengthening dollar has also driven peripheral pressure in WTI as trade has worn on, with the February contract now holding only modest gains of +0.1% to $36.66/barrel
Natural gas booked strong gains going into the morning's EIA storage report (expected to show a draw of 43 bcf).
Upon release of the data which showed a 58 bcf draw, Nat gas saw a relatively muted reaction and is now +4.8% to $2.31/MMBtu
Precious metals are modestly positive, with gold +0.1% to $/1061.20oz and silver +0.1% to $13.86/oz
Copper currently stands at -1.1% to $2.12/lb

10:00 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major indices hover above their opening lows with the Nasdaq (-0.6%) leading the losses and the S&P 500 (-0.5%) slightly outperforming.

All ten sectors have extended their losses on the day with consumer staples (-0.8%) and the heavily-weighted technology sector (-0.8%) rounding out the leaderboard. On the flipside, energy (-0.3%) and materials lead (-0.3%).

In the technology space, Apple (AAPL 106.02, -1.29) has declined 1.2% as it underperforms the broader sector. Elsewhere in the space, the high-beta chipmakers keep pace with the losses in the group, evidenced by the 0.8% decline in the PHLX Semiconductor Index.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its high with its yield falling two basis points to 2.27%.

9:45 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages opened beneath their flat lines with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.6%) underperforming the S&P 500 (-0.5%) and the Nasdaq (-0.5%). Including today's open, the S&P 500 has sunk into negative territory for the year (-0.3%).

Nin of ten sectors have opened their day in the red. Taking a look at the leaderboard, telecom services (-0.9%), consumer staples (-0.9%), and technology (-0.7%) lead the downside, while materials (-0.1%) and energy (+0.1%) show the slimmest losses.

On the economic front, the just released Chicago Purchasing Managers Index for December dipped to 42.9 from 48.7 in November. The December reading was shy of the Briefing.com consensus estimate, which was pegged at 50.1.

In commodities, WTI crude has been able to move above its lows, with oil's loss on the day narrowing to 0.2% at $36.53/bbl.

Moving to Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its high with its yield lower by two basis points at 2.28%.

9:15 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The stock market is on track to open its last session of 2015 lower, with S&P 500 futures trading seven points below fair value. Futures traded in line with morning losses in oil, as WTI crude has slipped 0.7% thus far to $36.33/bbl.

Elsewhere in commodities, natural gas has spiked 4.7% to $2.32/MMbtu prior to today's natural gas inventories report, which is scheduled to be released at 10:30 ET.

In economic data, initial jobless claims were reported earlier this morning, with the metric coming in higher than expected at 287,000 (Briefing.com consensus 270,000). This increased from the unrevised prior week's count of 267,000. Later today, the Chicago PMI report for December (Briefing.com consensus 50.1) is set to cross the wires at 9:45 ET.

Switching to Treasuries, the benchmark note trades near its high with its yield lower by two basis points at 2.28%.

8:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -8.20. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -15.70.

The S&P 500 futures trade eight points below fair value.

Equity markets across Asia ended the year on a mostly lower note while Japan's Nikkei was closed. For the year, the Nikkei 225 spiked 9.1%, ending 2015 not far behind China's Shanghai Composite, which rallied 9.4%. Overall, the last session of the year was very quiet with news limited to just a few headlines. Notably, SWIFT said that yuan's share of all international transactions increased to 2.3% in November from 1.9%.

Economic data was limited:
South Korea's December CPI +0.3% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; previous -0.1%); +1.3% year-over-year (consensus 1.1%; last 1.0%)
Australia's November Private Sector Credit +0.4% month-over-month (expected 0.6%; last 0.7%) and November Housing Credit +0.6% (previous 0.6%)

---Equity Markets---

Japan's Nikkei was closed.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng ended the abbreviated session with an uptick of 0.2%, narrowing its 2015 decline to 7.2%. Roughly half of index components ended the day in the green with Bank of East Asia, China Resources Land, China Overseas, Tencent, and Li & Fung climbing between 0.6% and 3.0%. Conversely, energy names were weak with CNOOC, Petrochina, and China Petroleum & Chemical falling between 0.6% and 1.6%.
China's Shanghai Composite lost 0.9%, but still ended the year with a 9.4% spike. Select financials continued their recent woes with CITIC Securities, Bank of China, and Everbright falling between 0.5% and 1.8%.

In Europe, most regional indices are closed for New Year's Eve, leaving UK's FTSE (-0.4%) and Spain's IBEX (-0.8%) as the only markets that are open. The euro, however, has retreated about 0.4% against the dollar, slipping to 1.0892 where the pair currently trades. Given the regional closures, investors did not receive any noteworthy news from the region.

In economic data:
UK's Housing Equity Withdrawal -GBP8.80 billion (expected -GBP10.50 billion; previous -GBP10.90 billion)

---Equity Markets---

UK's FTSE is lower by 0.4%, which puts the index on track to surrender 4.8% for the year. Financials and consumer names lag with Experian, Old Mutual, Sainsbury, and Burberry down between 1.0% and 2.0%. On the flip side, Vodafone outperforms, climbing 1.6%.
Germany's DAX is closed. The index lost 1.1% yesterday, narrowing its 2015 gain to 9.6%.
France's CAC is closed. Despite yesterday's 0.5% decline, the index settled higher by 9.5% for the year.

8:31 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -7.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -11.10.

The S&P 500 futures trade seven points below fair value.

The latest weekly initial jobless claims count totaled 287,000 while the Briefing.com consensus expected a reading of 270,000. Today's tally was above the unrevised prior week count of 267,000. As for continuing claims, they increased to 2.198 million from 2.195 million.

7:55 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] U.S. equity futures trade near their pre-market lows with the S&P 500 futures currently five point below fair value.

In Treasuries, the benchmark note currently sits near its pre-market high with its yield lower by one basis point at 2.29%.

On the economic front, weekly Initial (Briefing.com consensus 270,000) and Continuing Claims (Briefing.com consensus 2213k), will be released at 8:30 ET while the Chicago PMI for December (Briefing.com consensus 50.1) will cross the wires at 9:45 ET.

In U.S. Corporate news:

Lockheed Martin (LMT 222.00, +2.18): +1.0% after the company announced that it was awarded a $1.06 billion modification contract for C-130J multi-year production aircraft.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended their day with China's Shanghai Composite -0.9% and Hong Kong's Hang Seng +0.2%. In Japan the Nikkei was closed. For the year, the Nikkei spiked 9.1% ending 2015 not far behind China's Shanghai Composite which rallied 9.4%.
Economic data:
South Korea's December CPI +0.3% month-over-month (expected 0.1%; previous -0.1%); +1.3% year-over-year (consensus 1.1%; last 1.0%)
Australia's November Private Sector Credit +0.4% month-over-month (expected 0.6%; last 0.7%) and November Housing Credit +0.6% (previous 0.6%)
Economic news:
SWIFT said that yuan's share of all international transactions increased to 2.3% in November from 1.9%

European regional markets were closed with the exception of the U.K.'s FTSE -0.4% and Spain's IBEX -0.8%.
In economic data:
UK's Housing Equity Withdrawal -GBP8.80 billion (expected -GBP10.50 billion; previous -GBP10.90 billion)
In news:
The euro has retreated about 0.4% against the dollar, slipping to 1.0883

6:16 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +0.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +6.40.

6:16 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...Holiday......... Hang Seng...21914.4...+32.30...+0.20%.

6:16 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...6263.42...-10.60...-0.20%. DAX...Holiday.........

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com