TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October 12th Monday Trade Results - No Trades
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Quote:
No trades today because I wanted to take the day off from trading because its Canada Thanksgiving Holiday and U.S. Columbus Day. Simply, its just a day of rest for me.

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $0.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=2192

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Daily Trading Plan Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=274&t=2910 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
101215-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
101215-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 321 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:05 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market began the trading week on a sleepy note with a Monday session that saw the S&P 500 bounce around an eight-point range. The benchmark index settled higher by 0.1% while the Nasdaq Composite (+0.2%) outperformed slightly.

With the bond market closed for Columbus Day, a fair share of participants elected to forego the Monday session. The subdued activity was highlighted by below-average trading volume as fewer than 700 million shares changed hands at the NYSE floor.

Eight sectors finished the day with gains while commodity-sensitive energy (-1.1%) and materials (-0.9%) underperformed throughout the session. The energy sector finished at the bottom of the leaderboard, narrowing its October gain to 10.9% while crude oil surrendered 5.2% to settle at $47.19/bbl. Similar to the sector, WTI crude continues holding a solid month-to-date gain (+4.7%) despite today's dive.

Staying on the cyclical side, the consumer discretionary space (+0.5%) displayed relative strength since the start while the remaining growth-sensitive groups spent the day closer to their flat lines. Homebuilders contributed to the strength in the discretionary space with iShares Dow Jones US Home Construction ETF (ITB 27.94, +0.09) climbing 0.3%.

Elsewhere, the top-weighted technology sector (+0.2%) hovered just above its flat line throughout the day. Large sector components like Apple (AAPL 111.58, -0.54), Microsoft (MSFT 47.00, -0.11), Alphabet (GOOGL 676.43, +5.19), and Facebook (FB 94.26, +1.02) traded in mixed fashion while EMC (EMC 28.35, +0.49) spiked 1.8% after agreeing to be acquired by Dell for $67 billion in cash and stock.

Moving to the countercyclical side, consumer staples (+0.2%) and utilities (+0.9%) held gains throughout the day while the health care sector (+0.2%) eked out a slim advance despite a 7.8% slide in the shares of Eli Lilly (LLY 79.44, -6.70) after the company halted the development of a cholesterol drug.

Investors did not receive any economic data today, but tomorrow, the Treasury Budget for September will be reported at 14:00 ET (Briefing.com consensus $95.00 billion).

Nasdaq Composite +2.2% YTD
S&P 500 -2.0% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average -3.9% YTD
Russell 2000 -3.4% YTD

3:35 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

Oil prices sold off today. The OPEC report was one catalyst helping move oil prices
In floor trade, Nov WTI crude oil finished the day off at $47.09/barrel, down 5.2%
In electronic trade, Nov crude is climbing a little higher... now at $47.36/barrel
In other energy, Nov natural gas rose 2% to $2.54/MMBtu.
Grains were rather flat by the end of the day following Friday's WASDE report
Metals were flat to modestly higher today
Dec gold rose +0.7% to $1164.50/oz, while Dec silver +0.3% at $15.87/oz
Dec copper ended flat at $2.41/lb.

2:55 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 trades flat with one hour remaining in the session. The benchmark index bounced around an eight-point range through the first half of the session, but the afternoon range has been limited to no more than three points.

The energy sector (-1.5%) remains well behind its peers, pressured by crude oil, which has settled lower by 5.2% at $47.19/bbl. Despite today's decline, the energy sector remains higher by 10.5% for the month while crude oil has climbed 4.7% so far in October.

2:25 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices remain near their recent levels with the S&P 500 anchored to its flat line.

Sector standing has not changed much as energy (-1.5%) and materials (-0.8%) remain well behind other groups while utilities (+1.0%) and health care (+0.4%) hold the lead.

Today's session has been very quiet, but investors will receive the first batch of Q3 earnings as the week continues. Tomorrow morning Dow component Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 96.10, +0.73) will report its results ahead of the opening bell while two other Dow members-JPMorgan Chase (JPM 61.51, -0.42) and Intel (INTC 32.16, +0.02)-will announce their earnings after Tuesday's closing bell.

1:55 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages remain near their flat lines.

With a blank economic calendar, we look ahead to Wednesday's release of the September retail sales data.

Retail sales increased 0.2% in August after increasing 0.7% in July. The Briefing.com Consensus expects retail sales increased 0.2% in September.

Much of the August gain came from the auto sector, which rose 0.7%. Motor vehicle sales in September topped 18.0 mln for the first time since July 2005. That gain should translate into a positive topline retail sales number.

Excluding autos, retail sales increased 0.1% in August, down from a 0.6% increase in July. The consensus expects these sales declined 0.1% in September.

A dismal employment report showed aggregate earnings declined 0.2% in September. That, combined with a generally downward-trending stock market, will put downward pressure on retail sales. Unless consumers dip into savings, sales outside of autos are likely to turn negative.

1:25 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Not much change in the market as the key indices continue oscillating around their flat lines with the S&P 500 (-0.1%) dipping back into the red.

Looking outside of the stock market, the Dollar Index (94.73, -0.09) is lower by 0.1% as it continues hovering near the middle of today's trading range. The index has held its ground despite a slow grind higher in the yen that has sent the dollar/yen pair lower by about 40 pips to 119.90.
Related Quotes

12:55 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages are little changed at midday with the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.2%) and Nasdaq Composite (+0.1%) trading ahead of the S&P 500 (unch).

The first half of the Monday session has been very quiet, but that should not be surprising considering banks and the bond market are closed for Columbus Day. Accordingly, the stock market has traded in a very narrow range with trading volume totals suggesting limited participation.

Seven sectors sport midday gains while energy (-1.5%) and materials (-1.0%) underperform after both groups enjoyed a banner stretch last week. That being said, today's pullback has coincided with selling in the oil market as WTI crude trades lower by 3.4% at $47.93/bbl.

On the flip side, the utilities sector (+1.0%) holds the lead while another countercyclical group-health care (+0.2%)-trades among the leaders after showing some relative weakness in the early going. Eli Lilly (LLY 79.62, -6.52) has surrendered 7.6% after halting the development of a cholesterol drug, but biotech names have filled the void, evidenced by a 0.3% gain in the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 309.25, +0.80).

Unlike biotechnology, the technology sector (+0.1%) has spent the first half near its unchanged level, masking a 1.4% gain in the shares of EMC (EMC 28.24, +0.38) after the company agreed to be acquired by Dell for $67 billion in cash and stock.

12:25 pm:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue holding slim gains with the S&P 500 (unch) trading just behind the Nasdaq Composite (+0.1%).

As mentioned earlier, a quiet session had been expected, and that expectation has been fulfilled so far today. To that point, only 300 million shares have changed at the NYSE floor, suggesting today's final tally is likely to come in below the 200-day moving average of 836 million shares.

With regard to market breath, the A/D line is essentially flat with 1475 NYSE listings trading in the green versus 1483 decliners.

11:55 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] Recent action saw the S&P 500 (+0.1%) extend to a new session high while the Nasdaq Composite (+0.3%) remains ahead thanks to modest strength in the technology sector (+0.2%).

The relative strength in the tech space comes despite losses among the likes of Apple (AAPL 111.88, -0.24), IBM (IBM 151.98, -0.41), and Microsoft (MSFT 46.81, -0.30). However, weakness in those names has been offset by other large cap sector components like Visa (V 75.02, +1.04), Facebook (FB 94.52, +1.28), and Alphabet (GOOGL 676.78, +5.54). As for high-beta chipmakers, they trade in mixed fashion with the PHLX Semiconductor Index (+0.1%) drifting just above its flat line.

11:25 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages continue drifting near their flat lines, but only four sectors remain in the red while the other six hold gains.

The utilities space (+1.1%) holds the lead while two other countercyclical sectors-telecom services (+0.1%) and consumer staples (+0.3%)-also trade ahead of the broader market. Meanwhile, the health care sector (-0.2%) remains in the red, largely due to a 8.3% dive in the shares of Eli Lilly (LLY 78.97, -7.17) brought on by the company's decision to halt the development of a cholesterol drug.

On a related note, biotechnology had shown strength in the early going, but the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 308.56, +0.11) has returned to its flat line.

10:55 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] As expected, the early portion of the trading day has been very quiet with the S&P 500 (unch) spending the first 90 minutes of the day in a five-point range. Currently, the index hovers near the middle of that range as energy (-1.2%) and materials (-1.1%) weigh while consumer discretionary (+0.3%) and consumer staples (+0.3%) outperform.

On a separate note, the dollar/yen pair has recently slipped below the 120.00 mark after hovering just above 120.15 earlier today. However, that move has not gotten in the way of the Dollar Index (94.79, -0.02), which remains just below its unchanged level. That being said, the dollar/yen pair deserves attention considering dips below 120.00 have been indicative of risk-off posturing in the market.

10:35 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar trended modestly negative overnight, before seeing a gradual sell-off in early trade to lows near the 94.62 level
Momentum from Friday's commentary by Fed Vice Chairman Stan Fischer- who spoke on the slow-down of the Chinese/world economy as being a potential delay factor in hiking US interest rates- continued to weigh heavily on the dollar and provide a tailwind to precious metals.
The index has since seen a reversal of that trend however, erasing much of its prior losses to trade -0.2% to 94.77
Both gold and silver saw large gains overnight on the dollar's decline, and have held steady despite a reversal of the index's course.
December gold is now +0.5% to $1161.80/oz and silver is +0.7% to $15.93/oz
WTI traded moderately higher overnight, following Baker Hughes data released Friday afternoon and several sets of commentary from members of OPEC
Baker Hughes data released at Noon Friday, showed a decline of 9 rigs, marking the fifth straight week of total decline
Kuwaiti Oil Minister Ali al-Omair commented that OPEC would likely stick to its current output, and forecast production declines by non-OPEC agents
OPEC Secretary General Salem El-Badri also reiterated the group's expectation for price recovery and supply stabilization in 2016
Note: Over the weekend, two small earthquakes were recorded in/around Northern Oklahoma, near where a large crude oil storage hub is located
Oil has since seen a steady sell-off in early/recent trade, giving up all of its prior gains and trending just above its LoD at -1.7% to $48.81/barrel
Natural gas is seeing relatively muted trading at +0.7% to $2.52/MMBtu
Copper has trended in a narrow positive range, now at +0.1% to $2.42/lb, highlighted by a statement from Rio Tinto that indicated it would not cut copper production.

9:50 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have erased their opening losses with the S&P 500 returning right above its flat line while the Nasdaq Composite (+0.2%) shows some slight relative strength. The tech-heavy index has benefitted from strength in biotechnology with the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 310.68, +2.23) now up 0.7%.

Also of note, the top-weighted technology sector (+0.1%) has ticked into the green, providing added support to the Nasdaq Composite.

9:40 am:

[BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have spent the first few minutes near their flat lines with the S&P 500 (-0.2%) showing a slight loss at this juncture while the Nasdaq (-0.1%) has just slipped into the red after showing a slight gain at the start.

Only three sectors sport early gains with consumer discretionary (+0.1%), consumer staples (+0.2%), and utilities (+0.5%) trading ahead of the broader market while energy (-0.5%), materials (-0.8%), and health care (-0.2%) underperform.

Notably, the health care sector has struggled in the early going even though biotechnology has held up well with the iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 309.08, +0.63) trading higher by 0.2%.

9:08 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.20. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +9.40.

The stock market is on track for a flat open as S&P 500 futures trade within a point of fair value after spending the night in a narrow range. In all likelihood, the range-bound action will continue throughout the trading day considering many participants are away from their trading desks for Columbus Day.

To little surprise, the pre-market session has been very quiet, but it is worth noting that EMC (EMC 28.63, +0.77) has agreed to be acquired by Dell for $67 billion in cash and stock after rumors of an impending deal surfaced last week. Elsewhere, Eli Lilly (LLY 77.04, -9.10) is on track to open lower by 10.6% after terminating the development of a cholesterol drug.

Investors will not receive any economic data today and the bond market is closed, which leaves the 10-yr yield locked at 2.09% for the day.

8:53 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.90. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +7.30.

The S&P 500 futures trade within a point of fair value.

Most markets in the Asia-Pacific region started the week on a winning note, none more so than China's Shanghai Composite (+3.3%), which was bolstered by reports highlighting efforts to expand bank lending and to curb high frequency trading, as well as some upbeat commentary on the economy and the stock market's standing from a deputy PBOC governor. Australia (-0.9%) and India (-0.7%), which fell prone to profit taking, were the notable laggards in the region. Japan was closed for a holiday.

Investors did not receive any economic data

------

Japan's Nikkei: closed for holiday (Health Sports Day)
Hong Kong's Hang Seng increased 1.2% and closed near its highs for the day. The Hang Seng followed a bullish lead set by the mainland market. Gains were led by Lenovo Group (+7.7%), China Unicom Hong Kong (+5.5%), and China Resources Enterprise (+4.1%). On the flip side, Sands China (-3.4%), Galaxy Entertainment Group (-2.9%), and Cheung Kong Property Holdings (-1.8%) were the biggest losers. Out of the 50 index members, 40 ended higher, 8 finished lower, and 2 were unchanged.
China's Shanghai Composite ended up 3.3% after gaining 4.3% earlier in its session. The strong outing was driven primarily by enthusiasm over a plan by the PBOC to expand a pilot bank lending program, which is currently running in two provinces, to nine other provinces, including Shanghai and Beijing. There were separate reports highlighting efforts to curb high frequency trading and a deputy PBOC governor's view that the economy is holding up well in the face of the stock market correction that he thinks is almost over. Over the last three sessions, the Shanghai Composite has risen 8.2%.

Major European indices trade in mixed fashion with UK's FTSE (-0.7%) trailing its peers. Elsewhere, European officials have begun looking at the possibility of recalling more than $2 billion in loans granted by the European Investment Bank to Volkswagen.

Economic data was limited:
France's August Current Account swung from a deficit of EUR400 million to a surplus of EUR200 million.

------

UK's FTSE is lower by 0.7% amid losses in most components. Financials are among the laggards with Standard Chartered and Lloyds Banking Group both down near 1.4%. On the upside, Randgold Resources is higher by 1.6% and International Consolidated Airlines has climbed 0.7%.
In France, the CAC trades down 0.4% with industrials under pressure. Airbus Group and Safran lead the decline with respective losses of 2.5% and 4.3%. Automakers outperform with Peugeot higher by 1.3% and Renault trading up 2.7%.
Germany's DAX is higher by 0.2%. Utilities outperform with RWE up 12.0% and E.On trading higher by 6.8%. The two names have benefitted from a ruling that allows the companies to lift the demolition costs for decommissioned nuclear plants. Health care names underperform with Bayer and Fresenius SE both down near 1.2%.

8:25 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.40. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +5.50.

U.S. equity futures remain near their flat lines as the quiet pre-market action continues.

Similar to equity futures, the Dollar Index (94.75, -0.07) is little changed after spending the night inside a narrow range. The greenback has taken a small (-0.1%) step back against the euro (1.1369) and the yen (120.13) while the British pound has climbed 0.3% against the dollar to 1.5365.

7:55 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +0.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +2.60.

U.S. equity futures trade little changed to follow a range-bound overnight affair. The lack of volatility is not entirely surprising considering many participants are expected to forego today's session in light of Columbus Day. Meanwhile, the bond market will be closed altogether.

There is no economic data on today's schedule.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

EMC (EMC 29.27, +1.41): +5.1% after agreeing to be acquired by Dell for $67 billion in cash and stock.
Goldman Sachs (GS 181.19, +2.00): +1.1% after Citigroup upgraded the stock to 'Buy' from 'Neutral.'

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended mostly higher. China's Shanghai Composite +3.3%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng +1.2%, and Japan's Nikkei was closed for Health-Sports Day.
There was no economic data
In news:
Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda spoke in Lima over the weekend, stressing the positive outcomes of the easing policy undertaken by the BoJ. Overall, Mr. Kuroda's remarks did not hint at more easing in the near term.

Major European indices trade in mixed fashion. UK's FTSE -0.6%, France's CAC -0.5%, and Germany's DAX +0.1%. Elsewhere, Italy's MIB -0.4% and Spain's IBEX -0.2%.
Economic data was limited:
France's August Current Account swung from a deficit of EUR400 million to a surplus of EUR200 million
In news:
European officials have begun looking at the possibility of recalling more than $2 billion in loans granted by the European Investment Bank to Volkswagen

5:50 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.30. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -2.80.

5:50 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...Holiday......... Hang Seng...22730.93...+272.10...+1.20%.

5:50 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...6383.40...-32.80...-0.50%. DAX...10112.64...+16.00...+0.20%.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com