TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 18th Monday Trade Results - No Trades
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:54 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
wrbanalysis@gmail.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Quote:
No trades today for me because of the Canada holiday and a personal day off to watch my kids football tournament.

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $0.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab free chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips in ##TheStrategyLab chat room involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=2077

Quote:
All of my real-time posted trades involves price action concepts from the WRB Analysis free study guide, Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 and the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies. Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Analysis -----> Trade Signals

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR). All WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1 - 12 are included in the purchase of the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Trading Plan Daily Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=2757 contains brief information about trading plan, market context, brokers, trading time frames, position size management and other discussions.

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
051815-SPX-Index.png
051815-SPX-Index.png [ 38.08 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:10 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market kicked off the new trading week on an upbeat note. The Nasdaq Composite led the way, climbing 0.6%, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average (+0.1%) and S&P 500 (+0.3%) underperformed, but still registered new record closing highs at 18,298.88 and 2,129.20, respectively.

The first session of the week featured a range-bound opening hour that was followed by a steady advance. Heavily-weighted financials (+0.5%) and health care (+0.5%) displayed relative strength from the start while another influential group-technology (+0.4%)-climbed ahead of the market during the early afternoon.

The afternoon strength in the tech sector was partially due to gains among chipmakers. The PHLX Semiconductor Index advanced 1.0% with Altera (ALTR 46.93, +2.51) climbing 5.7% amid reports the company is once again discussing a potential deal with Intel (INTC 33.40, +0.41). Meanwhile, large cap tech names traded in mixed fashion, but that was masked by Apple's (AAPL 130.19, +1.42) 1.1% gain after activist investor Carl Icahn sent a letter to Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook, pushing for a larger buyback, and saying Apple is worth $240/share at this time.

Elsewhere, the consumer discretionary sector (+0.4%) also outperformed with retailers contributing to the strength after ANN (ANN 46.40, +7.69) agreed to be acquired by Ascena Retail Group (ASNA 14.07, -0.14) for $47.00/share, representing a 21.4% premium to Friday's closing price.

In other M&A news, Endo Health (ENDP 80.77, -4.58) fell 5.4% after announcing the acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical for $8.05 billion. For its part, the health care sector (+0.5%) ended among the leaders with biotechnology making a contribution. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 360.30, +4.69) advanced 1.3%, helping the Nasdaq climb ahead of the benchmark index.

On the downside, consumer staples (-0.3%) and materials (-0.4%) spent the entire session in the red while the energy sector (-0.1%) recovered the bulk of its loss ahead of the close. The growth-sensitive group traded alongside crude oil, which showed intraday weakness, but returned to unchanged ($59.69/bbl) shortly after the end of the pit session.

It is worth noting that crude oil showed resilience even though the Dollar Index (94.20, +1.06) advanced 1.1% for the day. On a related note, Treasuries spent the session in a steady retreat, pushing the 10-yr yield higher by eight basis points to 2.22%.

Today's participation was well below average with fewer than 700 million shares changing hands at the NYSE floor.

Economic data was limited to the NAHB Housing Market Index for May, which fell to 54 from 56 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase to 57.

Tomorrow, April Housing Starts (Briefing.com consensus 1.019 million) and Building Permits (consensus 1.065 million) will be released at 8:30 ET.

Nasdaq Composite +7.2% YTD
Russell 2000 +4.4% YTD
S&P 500 +3.4% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average +2.7% YTD

3:40 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

WTI crude oil sold off today, but recovered modestly from the $59/barrel level
By the time pit trading closed, June crude oil lost $0.25 today to $59.44/barrel
June natural gas ended flat at $3.01/MMBtu.
Gold remained near the flat line this afternoon, closing the session $2.30 higher at $1227.60/oz. July silver rose $0.16 to $17.73/oz

2:55 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 trades higher by 0.4% with one hour remaining in the session. The benchmark index held a slim loss at the start, but early strength among influential sectors like financials (+0.6%) and health care (+0.6%) helped erase the opening decline. Meanwhile, another heavily-weighted group-technology (+0.5%)-joined the rally in progress.

Today's session was very quiet on the economic front and tomorrow should be similar with data limited the 8:30 ET release of the Housing Starts (Briefing.com consensus 1.019 million) and Building Permits (consensus 1.065 million) report for April.

2:25 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Quiet afternoon action continues with the S&P 500 trading higher by 0.3%. Today has been a record-setting day for the benchmark index with a fresh intraday high being notched during the past 30 minutes at 2,130.69.

Thanks to today's advance, the S&P 500 is on course to set a fresh closing record high. Similarly, the Dow (+0.2%) is also tracking a record close while the Nasdaq (+0.6%) remains about 15 points beneath its all-time best close.

Elsewhere, Treasuries have set new lows not long ago with the benchmark 10-yr yield now up eight basis points at 2.23%.

1:55 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Not much change in the market with the S&P 500 (+0.3%) trading at its best level of the session.

The top-weighted technology sector has extended its gain to 0.5% after showing relative weakness at the start. Meanwhile, energy (-0.3%), materials (-0.4%), and consumer staples (-0.2%) remain trapped below their flat lines.

The growth-sensitive energy sector has retreated amid a 0.6% decline in crude oil, which has slid to $59.32/bbl with greenback strength contributing to the pressure. To that point, the Dollar Index (94.04, +0.91) is higher by 1.0% as it looks to register its first advance in five days.

1:30 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The main U.S. indices are effectively unchanged from our last update, showing modest gains in a notably quiet trading session.

A look inside the Dow Jones Industrial Average shows Apple (AAPL 130.65, +1.88), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ 103.81, +1.51), and Cisco (CSCO 29.81, +0.26) outperforming. Apple is up after activist investor Carl Icahn issued a new letter to CEO Tim Cook asking for an increased buyback, saying he thinks Apple shares are worth $240, 84% higher than where shares currently are. Johnson & Johnson shares are also outperforming the broad market on no specific news, perhaps fueled by the M&A activity in the healthcare sector after Endo Pharma (ENDP 80.94, -4.41) announced it would acquire Par Pharmaceutical for $8.05 bln. Elsewhere, Cisco shares are gaining, led by strength in the technology sector.

Conversely, Chevron (CVX 106.76, -1.27) is the worst performing Dow component after its shares were downgraded to Sell from Neutral at Goldman Sachs this morning.

Currently up 0.10% for the day, the DJIA is up 2.6% for the year.

12:55 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages hold modest midday gains with the Nasdaq Composite (+0.4%) trading ahead of the S&P 500 (+0.2%).

The stock market has begun the new trading week on a quiet note with range-bound action dominating the first half of the session. The S&P 500 began the day with a two-point loss, but relative strength among influential sectors like financials (+0.5%), health care (+0.5%), and technology (+0.3%) has helped the benchmark index climb to a new intraday record high at 2,127.86.

Seven sectors sport midday gains with the aforementioned financials and health care trading alongside utilities (+0.4%) and telecom services (+0.5%). The financial sector has responded positively to an increase in long-term yields while the front of the curve shows a smaller increase. The 10-yr note sits just above its low with the benchmark yield up seven basis points at 2.21% while the 2-yr yield has increased two basis points to 0.56%.

Interestingly, higher yields have not prevented the rate-sensitive utilities sector from trading among the leaders. Meanwhile, another countercyclical group-health care (+0.5%)-has received significant support from biotechnology. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 358.82, +3.21) has gained 0.9%, contributing to the outperformance of the Nasdaq. On the M&A front, Endo Health (ENDP 81.82, -3.53) is lower by 4.1% after agreeing to acquire Par Pharmaceutical for $8.05 billion.

In other M&A news, retailer ANN (ANN 45.89, +7.18) has spiked 18.6% after agreeing to be acquired by Ascena Retail Group (ASNA 13.60, -0.61) for $47.00/share, representing a 21.4% premium to Friday's closing price.

On the downside, consumer staples (-0.3%), energy (-0.2%), and materials (-0.4%) have spent the entire first half in the red.

Economic data was limited to the NAHB Housing Market Index for May, which fell to 54 from 56 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase to 57.

12:25 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue hovering near their highs with the S&P 500 (+0.2%) holding a four-point gain. Meanwhile, the Nasdaq Composite (+0.4%) trades ahead of the benchmark index after trailing in the early going.

The Nasdaq outperforms thanks to the relative strength in the technology sector (+0.2%), but high-beta biotechnology and chipmakers have also made a positive contribution. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 358.63, +3.02) has extended its gain to 0.9% while the PHLX Semiconductor Index is higher by 0.7%.

As for large cap tech names, Apple (AAPL 129.99, +1.22) has advanced 1.0%, overshadowing losses among the likes of Google (GOOGL 544.30, -2.20), Microsoft (MSFT 47.82, -0.48), and Qualcomm (QCOM 70.48, -0.58).
Related Quotes

12:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Recent action saw the S&P 500 (+0.2%) mark a fresh intraday record high at 2,127.86 with help from the top-weighted technology sector (+0.3%), which is now among the leaders after showing relative weakness at the start of today's session.

Furthermore, the tech sector is now up 4.6% for the second quarter, which makes it the second-best performer since the end of March. Only the materials sector has had a better showing, having added 4.7% so far this quarter.

Elsewhere, Treasuries remain on their session lows with the 10-yr yield up seven basis points at 2.22%.

11:25 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have climbed to new highs with the S&P 500 (+0.1%) now holding a two-point gain as seven sectors trade in the green.

The telecom services sector (+0.5%) holds the lead, but more notably, heavily-weighted financials (+0.4%) and health care (+0.4%) follow not far behind. The financial sector has benefitted from a steepening yield curve as long dated yields climb while short-term rates remain essentially anchored. To that point, Treasuries hover near their lows with the 10-yr yield higher by seven basis points at 2.22% while the 2-yr yield has climbed one basis point to 0.55%.

Elsewhere, health care remains supported by biotechnology with iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 358.31, +2.70) trading higher by 0.8%.

10:55 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices continue drifting near their flat lines. The S&P 500 was down about two points at the start, but the index has reclaimed the bulk of that loss during the opening hour.

Five sectors continue holding losses with consumer staples (-0.5%), energy (-0.3%), materials (-0.5%), and technology (-0.2%) showing weakness while heavily-weighted financials (+0.3%), consumer discretionary (+0.1%), and health care (+0.3%) show modest gains.

The health care sector has been boosted by biotechnology with iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 356.97, +1.36) trading higher by 0.4%. Similar to biotechnology, the high-beta chipmaker group also outperforms with the PHLX Semiconductor Index higher by 0.6%. However, the broader technology sector remains among the laggards.

10:35 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

Crude oil futures have been trading positive for most of this morning, briefly rising above the $60/barrel.
Oil has been trading primarily on geo-political cues, as market participants showed potential supply-chain disruption fears, emanating from fighting in Iraq and Yemen
June Crude has given back much of those gains in recent trade however, and now stands at -0.1% to $59.61/barrel
The dollar has traded positive all morning and is currently near its HoD, which is putting selling pressure on certain commodities.
The index is now +0.9% to 93.96
Precious metals trading has been trend-unfriendly so far this session, weighed on modestly by the dollar index's strength.
July gold is now flat at $1225.80/oz and May silver is now +0.4% to $17.64/oz
Natural Gas saw modest strength in earlier trade, driven in part by forecasts for warmer national weather and on continued bullish sentiment from last week's storage report
The commodity gave back all of those gains however, and is currently -0.2% to $3.01/MMBtu
July copper is now -0.9% to $2.90/lb

10:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 has climbed above its flat line.

The just-released NAHB Housing Market Index for May fell to 54 from 56 while the Briefing.com consensus expected an increase to 57.

9:40 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages began the session in the red before making a quick return to their flat lines with the Dow Jones Industrial Average trading just ahead of the S&P 500. Meanwhile, the Nasdaq Composite (-0.1%) underperforms.

Seven of ten sectors display opening losses while consumer discretionary (+0.2%), financials (+0.4%), and health care (+0.1%) outperform. On the flip side, energy (-0.3%), materials (-0.5%), and technology (-0.2%) lag.

Elsewhere, Treasuries have slid to fresh lows, pushing the 10-yr yield higher by five basis points to 2.20%.

The NAHB Housing Market Index for May (Briefing.com consensus 57) will be released at 10:00 ET.

9:12 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -4.10. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -15.30. The stock market is on track for a lower open as futures on the S&P 500 trade four points below fair value. Index futures have spent the bulk of the night in negative territory, but they did make a short-lived appearance in the green not long after markets in Europe opened for action; however, futures have returned near their pre-market lows since then.

All in all, things have gotten off to a quiet start this week with corporate news limited to a couple acquisitions. To that point, ANN (ANN 47.15, +8.44) has jumped 21.8% in pre-market after agreeing to be acquired by Ascena Retail Group (ASNA 15.57, +1.45) for $47.00/share, representing a 21.4% premium to Friday's closing price. Separately, Endo Health (ENDP 86.35, +1.00) is on track to open higher by 1.2% after agreeing to acquire Par Pharmaceutical for $8.05 billion.

Today's economic data will be limited to the 10:00 ET release of the NAHB Housing Market Index for May (Briefing.com consensus 57).

Treasuries hover in the red with the 10-yr yield higher by four basis points at 2.19%.

8:56 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -3.40. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -14.10. The S&P 500 futures trade three points below fair value.

Markets in the Asia-Pacific region were mixed on Monday in the wake of some disappointing home price data out of China and following Wall Street's tentative showing on Friday.

In economic data:
Japan's March Core Machinery Orders +2.9% month-over-month (expected +1.8%; prior -0.4%); +2.6% year-over-year (expected -7.2%; prior +5.9%), March Industrial Production -0.8% month-over-month (expected -0.3%; prior -0.3%), March Capacity Utilization -1.2% month-over-month (prior -3.2%), and Tertiary Industry Activity Index -1.0% (expected -0.5%; prior +0.4%)
China's April House Prices -6.1% year-over-year (prior -6.1%)
Singapore's April Non-Oil Exports -8.7% month-over-month (expected -13.3%; prior +23.0%); +2.2% year-over-year (expected -4.2%; prior +18.5%)
Australia's April New Motor Vehicle Sales -1.5% month-over-month (prior +0.5%)

------

Japan's Nikkei increased 0.8% and finished at its high for the day on the back of an encouraging core machinery orders report for March. The financial (+2.8%), utilities (+1.5%), and consumer cyclical (+1.2%) sectors were the top-performing sectors. Dai-ichi Life Insurance (+10.6%) led all gainers, according to reports, after announcing increased shareholder payouts. It was followed by Sumitomo Electric (+7.6%), and T&D Holdings (+5.6%). Sharp Corp (-9.1%) was the worst-performing issue. Out of the 225 index members, 181 ended higher, 37 finished lower, and 7 were unchanged.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng declined 0.8% but finished the day on an upswing. The communications (-1.6%), diversified (-1.4%), and energy (-1.1%) sectors were the weakest links. China Mobile (-2.8%), Sino Land Co (-2.7%), and China Resources Land (-2.6%) led individual decliners. Want Want China Holdings (+1.6%) was the only stock to gain more than 1.0%. Out of the 50 index members, 9 ended higher, 38 finished lower, and 3 were unchanged.
China's Shanghai Composite declined 0.6%, pressured by a report showing another year-over-year decline in property prices and ongoing concern about the liquidity impact of new listings. Losses in the Chinese market were paced by the financial (-1.8%), and basic materials (-1.1%) sectors.

Major European indices trade lower across the board with Italy's MIB (-1.6%) leading the way. European investors remain concerned with Greece's future after a leaked letter from Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to International Monetary Fund's Christine Lagarde suggested the country may run out of cash soon.

Economic data was limited:
Italy's trade surplus expanded to EUR4.06 billion from EUR3.54 billion in March (expected EUR2.50 billion)
Swiss March Retail Sales -2.8% year-over-year (expected -2.0%; prior -3.1%)

------

Germany's DAX trades flat with roughly 2/3 of the index in the red. Financials Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank hold respective losses of 1.8% and 1.2% while Volkswagen outperforms with a gain of 1.3%.
UK's FTSE remains lower by 0.1%. BHP Billiton is the weakest performer, down 4.1% after spinning off its non-core assets, while other miners have had a better showing. Fresnillo and Randgold Resources trade higher by 4.5% and 1.5%, respectively.
In France, the CAC trades lower by 0.6% amid weakness in financials. BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, and Societe Generale are down between 1.5% and 3.9%. On the upside, exporters Peugeot and Renault hold respective gains of 1.1% and 0.3%.
Italy's MIB trails the region with a 1.6% decline. Most index components trade in the red with Intesa Sanpaolo, BMPS, UBI Banca, and Banca di Milano Scarl down between 2.0% and 2.8%.

8:25 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -3.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -13.80. U.S. equity futures continue holding slim losses while markets in Europe are climbing off their session lows. As mentioned earlier, the week has gotten off to a quiet start while Greece-related concerns persist.

Similar to equity futures, Treasuries hover just below their flat lines with the 10-yr yield higher by a basis point at 2.16%. Meanwhile, the Dollar Index (93.70, +0.57) is higher by 0.6% and will look to register its first advance in five days.

7:58 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -4.20. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -16.40. U.S. equity futures trade modestly lower amid cautious action overseas. The S&P 500 futures hover four points below fair value after making a brief appearance in the green roughly three hours ago.

The trading week has gotten off to a quiet start on the corporate front with no earnings of note coming in since Friday's closing bell. Meanwhile, today's data will be limited to the 10:00 ET release of the NAHB Housing Market Index for May (Briefing.com consensus 57).

Treasuries hold slim losses with the 10-yr yield higher by two basis points at 2.17%.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

Altera (ALTR 47.49, +3.07): +6.9% after the New York Post reported that Intel (INTC 33.12, +0.13) may resume takeover discussions with Altera.
ANN (ANN 46.18, +7.47): +19.3% after agreeing to be acquired by Ascena Retail Group for $47.00/share, representing a 21.4% premium to Friday's closing price.
Chevron (CVX 107.30, -0.73): -0.7% after Goldman Sachs downgraded the stock to 'Sell' from 'Neutral.'
Endo Health (ENDP 89.00, +3.65): +4.3% after agreeing to acquire Par Pharmaceutical for $8.05 billion
JA Solar Holdings (JASO 9.90, -0.21): -2.1% after beating bottom-line estimates on shipments that were just above consensus expectations.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended mixed. Japan's Nikkei +0.8%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng -0.8%, and China's Shanghai Composite -0.6%
In economic data:
Japan's March Core Machinery Orders +2.9% month-over-month (expected +1.8%; prior -0.4%); +2.6% year-over-year (expected -7.2%; prior +5.9%), March Industrial Production -0.8% month-over-month (expected -0.3%; prior -0.3%), March Capacity Utilization -1.2% month-over-month (prior -3.2%), and Tertiary Industry Activity Index -1.0% (expected -0.5%; prior +0.4%)
China's April House Prices -6.1% year-over-year (prior -6.1%)
Singapore's April Non-Oil Exports -8.7% month-over-month (expected -13.3%; prior +23.0%); +2.2% year-over-year (expected -4.2%; prior +18.5%)
Australia's April New Motor Vehicle Sales -1.5% month-over-month (prior +0.5%)
In news:
Property developers struggled in China in reaction to the continued decline in house prices; however, it is worth noting that prices stopped falling on a month-over-month basis

Major European indices trade lower across the board. UK's FTSE -0.2%, Germany's DAX -0.2%, and France's CAC -1.0%. Elsewhere, Italy's MIB -1.8% and Spain's IBEX -0.8%
Economic data was limited:
Italy's trade surplus expanded to EUR4.06 billion from EUR3.54 billion in March (expected EUR2.50 billion)
Swiss March Retail Sales -2.8% year-over-year (expected -2.0%; prior -3.1%)
Among news of note:
European investors remain concerned with Greece's future after a leaked letter from Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras to International Monetary Fund's Christine Lagarde suggested the country may run out of cash soon.

5:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -1.60. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -9.40.

5:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...19890.27...+157.40...+0.80%. Hang Seng...27591.25...-231.00...-0.80%.

5:57 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...6985.75...+25.30...+0.40%. DAX...11550.66...+103.60...+0.90%.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, Briefing, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
wrbanalysis@gmail.com
Go Back To TheStrategyLab.com Homepage