TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October 22nd Wednesday Trade Results - Profit $2370.00
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
questions@thestrategylab.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
102214-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+2370.00.png
102214-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+2370.00.png [ 176.85 KiB | Viewed 381 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $2,370.00 dollars or +23.70 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $2,370.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

Trade Log: All of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=1916

Quote:
If any of my real-time posted trades are via key concepts discussed in the WRB Analysis free study guide or the Fading Volatility Breakout (FVB) free trade signal strategy...I will discuss the reasons (trade strategy) behind those trades if/when a user of ##TheStrategyLab chat room ask questions about the trades. In contrast, real-time posted trades that are via the Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 or the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies...I discuss the reasons (trade strategy) behind those trades with fee-base clients in a different private chat room that's designated only for fee-base clients or discuss the strategies with fee-base clients on my Skype contact list.

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via WRB Analysis Tutorials @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Trading Plan Daily Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=248&t=2530

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, CNNMoney, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Attachment:
102214-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
102214-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 322 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

4:15 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market ended the midweek session on a lower note, causing the S&P 500 (-0.7%) to snap its four-day winning streak. The benchmark index slumped into the red during afternoon action while the Dow Jones Industrial Average (-0.9%) underperformed once again.

Equity indices displayed modest gains in the early going, but that advance took place despite the lack of concerted leadership. The underperformance of several influential sectors weighed on the market and led to a mid-session retreat.

Five of six cyclical sectors ended behind the broader market with energy (-1.7%) showing the largest decline. The growth-sensitive sector displayed intraday strength, but slumped in the afternoon amid weakness in crude oil. The energy component spent the morning near its flat line, but plunged in the afternoon to end lower by 2.4% at $80.49/bbl. Greenback strength acted as a bit of a headwind with the Dollar Index (85.75, +0.45) rising 0.5%.

Ending just ahead of energy was the industrial sector (-1.3%), which was pressured by Boeing (BA 121.45, -5.67). The Dow component reported better than expected results, but fell 4.5% amid concerns about increasing production costs for its Dreamliner jet.

Transport stocks also weighed on the sector with the Dow Jones Transportation Average falling 2.1%. The bellwether complex narrowed this week's gain to 2.0% after Ryder (R 81.17, -5.89) and Norfolk Southern (NSC 106.50, -3.35) reported earnings. Ryder missed top-line estimates while Norfolk Southern reported disappointing earnings and revenue.

Elsewhere, the technology sector (-0.6%) was the lone outperformer among cyclical groups. Broadcom (BRCM 39.37, +2.04) surged 5.5% in reaction to better than expected results while most large cap components ended in the red. Apple (AAPL 102.99, +0.52) and Google (GOOGL 542.69, +4.66) bucked the trend, climbing 0.5% and 0.9%, respectively. Chipmakers finished among the laggards with the PHLX Semiconductor Index falling 1.4%.

The underperformance of microchip names pressured the Nasdaq (-0.8%), which also faced weakness in the biotech space. Biogen Idec (BIIB 309.07, -17.70) sank 5.4% after investors overlooked better than expected earnings, instead focusing on slowing sales of the company's main drug. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 276.24, -2.03) lost 0.7% while the health care sector shed 0.6%.

On the upside, countercyclical consumer staples (+0.1%) and utilities (+0.6%) displayed relative strength throughout the session. The utilities sector extended its October gain to 4.6%.

Treasuries ended flat after reclaiming their intraday losses. The 10-yr yield finished at 2.22%.

Participation was above average with more than 779 million shares changing hands at the NYSE floor.

Economic data was limited to the MBA Mortgage Index and CPI:

The weekly MBA Mortgage Index spiked 11.6% to follow last week's increase of 5.6%
CPI and core CPI both ticked up 0.1% (CPI Briefing.com consensus 0.0%; Core CPI consensus +0.2%)
Energy prices declined 0.7%, representing the third monthly decrease
Food prices, meanwhile, increased 0.3% after rising 0.2% in August with beef and veal prices rising 2.0% to bring their 2014 increase to 16.7%

Tomorrow, weekly Initial Claims will be released at 8:30 ET (Briefing.com consensus 285K) while the FHFA Housing Price Index for August will cross the wires at 9:00 ET. The day's data will be topped off with the Leading Indicators report for September (consensus 0.5%), which will be released at 10:00 ET.

Nasdaq Composite +4.9% YTD
S&P 500 +4.3% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average -0.7% YTD
Russell 2000 -5.7% YTD

3:40 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

WTI oil prices slid lower heading into the close
Dec crude oil lost $2 to $80.52/barrel in today's session
Nov nat gas fell 1.4% to $3.66/MMBtu
Gold and silver also finished the day in the red
Dec gold declined 0.5% to $1245.40/oz, while Dec silver fell 1.8% at $17.24/oz

3:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P trades lower by 0.4% with one hour remaining in the midweek session. The benchmark index spent the first half of the trading day in the green, but slipped into negative territory not long after 12:00 ET amid relative weakness in several influential sectors.

At this time, the technology sector (-0.2%) is the only cyclical group trading ahead of the broader market. A handful of large cap components like Apple (AAPL 103.40, +0.93) and Google (GOOGL 545.36, +7.33) have contributed to the outperformance, while chipmakers lag with the PHLX Semiconductor Index down 0.9%.

On a separate note, crude oil slumped into the end of the pit session and has continued its retreat during electronic trading. The energy component is now lower by 2.6% at $80.40/bbl.

2:30 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Afternoon action continues with the S&P 500 (-0.4%) hovering near its session low. Investors received a full slate of earnings since yesterday's closing bell, but the mostly better than expected results have been unable to fuel a rally.

Quarterly earnings will continue pouring in after today's closing bell with AT&T (T 34.47, -0.15) leading the list of reporting companies. In addition, investors will also hear from the likes of NXP Semi (NXPI 64.09, -0.55), Citrix Systems (CTXS 64.78, -1.22), and Yelp (YELP 70.60, -0.68).

Another heavy batch of earnings will cross the wires tomorrow with 3M (MMM 139.43, -1.50), General Motors (GM 31.19, +0.35), Comcast (CMCSA 51.66, -0.53), American Airlines (AAL 37.36, -0.49), and United Airlines (UAL 49.11, -0.40) expected to receive close attention.

2:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages remain near their lows with the S&P 500 down 0.4%.

Eight sectors continue trading in the red with industrials (-0.9%) sitting at the bottom of the leaderboard alongside the energy sector (-0.9%). The growth-sensitive group has been retreating steadily since failing to take out its opening high around 11:45 ET. Crude oil weakness has contributed to the slide as the energy component trades lower by 1.7% at $81.10/bbl.

Meanwhile, the materials sector (-0.2%) trades just ahead of the broader market. Dow Chemical (DOW 48.12, -0.09) reported better than expected earnings, but the stock trades in-line with the sector.

1:25 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] There has been a bit of role reversal today for the stock market, which is under some modest selling pressure after racing higher in recent sessions.

The tenor of today's activity suggests it is still more a case of the market stopping to catch its breath after a big run that saw the Russell 2000 (-0.5%), Dow Jones Transportation Average (-1.1%), and Philadelphia Semiconductor Index (-0.6%) gain as much as 6.1%, 10.0%, and 10.2%, respectively, from their recent lows.

All three of those rebound leaders are among today's notable laggards.

Conversely, the defensive-oriented utilities (+0.7%) and consumer staples (+0.4%) sectors are exhibiting relative and absolute strength.

12:55 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages sit on their lows at midday with the S&P 500 (-0.2%) trading a bit ahead of the Nasdaq Composite (-0.4%).

Equity indices climbed out of the gate, but the opening advance lacked conviction, which was evidenced by the mixed performance among influential sectors. The health care sector (-0.6%) has lagged since the start amid weakness in the biotech space. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 275.36, -2.91) has narrowed its loss to 1.1%, but Biogen Idec (BIIB 302.06, -24.71) remains lower by 7.6% after the company beat estimates, but said sales of its main drug have slowed.

Similar to health care, the financial sector (-0.3%) has trailed the market since the start while industrials (-0.6%) made a brief appearance in the green before tumbling to a fresh low. Dow component Boeing (BA 122.64, -4.48), which trades down 3.5%, has contributed to the underperfomance despite beating earnings estimates. Transports have also weighed with the Dow Jones Transportation Average trading lower by 1.2%. The bellwether complex has been pressured by Ryder (R 82.31, -4.72) and Norfolk Southern (NSC 107.82, -2.02). Ryder reported below-consensus revenue while Norfolk Southern missed on both metrics.

Also of note, the energy sector (-0.6%) held up well in the morning, but the cyclical group is now at the bottom of the leaderboard. Similarly, crude oil, which trades lower by 1.1% at $81.57/bbl, is also on its low. The energy component has had to contend with dollar strength as the Dollar Index trades higher by 0.4% (85.64, +0.34).

On the upside, the utilities sector (+0.7%) has led since the opening bell with today's advance extending its October gain to 4.7%.

Treasuries have held slim losses since the opening bell and that remains the case at this time. The 10-yr yield is higher by one basis point at 2.23%.

Economic data was limited to the MBA Mortgage Index and CPI:

The weekly MBA Mortgage Index spiked 11.6% to follow last week's increase of 5.6%
CPI and core CPI both ticked up 0.1% (CPI Briefing.com consensus 0.0%; Core CPI consensus +0.2%)
Energy prices declined 0.7%, representing the third monthly decrease
Food prices, meanwhile, increased 0.3% after rising 0.2% in August with beef and veal prices rising 2.0% to bring their 2014 increase to 16.7%

12:30 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Recent action saw the key indices slip into the red with the Dow Jones off 0.2%. The pullback from highs took place amid weakness in groups that have lagged since the opening bell.

The health care sector (-0.3%) has dipped back into the red while financials (-0.1%) have returned to their opening low. Also of note, industrials (-0.3%) and energy (-0.1%) have slid to fresh lows for the day.

We highlighted the mixed performance among influential sectors earlier today and it appears that the lack of concerted leadership is taking a toll on the market. At this juncture, the consumer discretionary sector (+0.2%) is the top performer out of the six largest sectors.

11:55 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages remain near their best levels of the day with the S&P 500 (+0.3%) in the lead.

The utilities sector (+1.1%) has held the lead since the opening bell with today's advance extending its October gain to 5.1%. Meanwhile, the second-best performer of the day-consumer staples-is also the second-best sector of the month. The staples sector has added 0.7% today and is up 1.4% since the end of September.

The two countercyclical sectors are the only two groups trading higher for the month. On the flip side, energy and technology have endured a rough first half of the month. The energy sector (+0.5%) remains down 4.3% in October while technology is lower by 3.0% since the end of September.

11:30 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have extended to new highs with the S&P 500 pushing its gain to 0.4%. The recent uptick has pulled the health care sector (+0.1%) out of the red, meaning all ten groups now trade in the green.

Meanwhile, the remaining influential sectors trade in mixed fashion with consumer discretionary (+0.5%) and technology (+0.5%) showing strength while industrials (unch) and financials (+0.2%) lag.

Transport stocks have contributed to the underperformance of the industrial sector after Norfolk Southern (NSC 107.71, -2.14) reported disappointing results and Ryder (R 85.08, -1.98) missed top-line estimates. The Dow Jones Transportation Average is lower by 0.4% today, but remains higher by 3.7% for the week.

10:55 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have inched away from their early highs, but they remain in positive territory. The S&P 500 (+0.2%) holds a slim gain with seven sectors trading in the green.

Utilities (+1.0%) and materials (+0.6%) have held the lead since the opening bell while the top-weighted technology sector (+0.4%) also trades ahead of the broader market. Large cap names displayed broad strength in the early going, but they now trade in mixed fashion. Apple (AAPL 103.17, +0.70) has narrowed its gain to 0.7% while IBM (IBM 162.96, -0.27) and Microsoft (MSFT 44.68, -0.20) have slipped into the red.

On the downside, the health care sector is still the weakest performer, but the countercyclical group has narrowed its loss to 0.2%.

10:35 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar index is trading 0.5% higher at 85.69 this morning, which is weighing on commodities this morning
Gold, silver, copper and natural gas are all in the red this morning
Just ahead of the weekly EIA storage data, Dec crude oil was near the flat line
Following the data, Dec crude oil dropped to a new session low, falling back below $82/barrel on bearish storage data
Dec crude oil is now -0.9% at $81.79/barrel, Brent is -0.1% at $86.15/barrel
Nat gas has been in the red this morning. Dec contract is currently -0.6% at $3.69/MMBtu
Dec gold is currently -0.5% at $1245.30/oz, Dec silver is -1.8% at $17.23/oz
Dec copper -0.3% at $3.02/lb

10:05 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages have climbed off their opening lows with the Nasdaq (+0.2%) leading the turnaround. The tech-heavy index lagged at the start, but has been able to catch up to the S&P 500. However, the Dow (+0.1%) lags once again with Boeing (BA 125.01, -2.11) contributing to the underperformance.

Elsewhere, the technology sector (+0.5%) trades ahead of the broader market with help from large cap names. Apple (AAPL 103.36, +0.89), IBM (IBM 164.99, +1.76), and Google (GOOGL 549.35, +11.32) hold gains between 0.9% and 2.1%. However, chipmakers lag with the PHLX Semiconductor trading just above its flat line. Cree (CREE 29.37, -3.78) is the weakest performer, down 11.4%, after reporting disappointing earnings and issuing light guidance.

9:45 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages began the session in the green before slipping into negative territory. The S&P 500 trades right below its flat line while the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite (-0.2%) underperforms amid weakness in the biotech space.

The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 273.67, -4.60) is lower by 1.7% with Biogen Idec (BIIB 296.00, -30.77) pressuring the group despite reporting better than expected results. The weakness has also weighed on the health care sector (-0.8%), which is the weakest performer in the early going.

On the upside, utilities (+0.8%) and materials (+0.3%) have shown early strength, but it is worth mentioning that the two groups represent just over 6.0% of the entire S&P 500.

Also of note, Dow component Boeing (BA 125.28, -1.84) reported better than expected results, but the stock trades lower by 1.5%.

Treasuries remain on their lows with the 10-yr yield up two basis points at 2.24%.

9:09 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +3.10. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +10.20. The stock market is on track for a modestly higher open with the S&P 500 futures trading three points above fair value. Index futures have spent the night in a ten-point range and they currently hover in the top half of that range.

The overnight session did little to hamper investor sentiment while earnings received since yesterday's closing bell have been mostly better than expected. To that point, Boeing (BA 128.47, +1.35), Broadcom (BRCM 39.90, +2.57), and Yahoo! (YHOO 42.36, +2.18) are all indicated to register opening gains after beating estimates. On the downside, Lumber Liquidators (LL 49.90, -7.73) is on track to open lower by 13.4% after missing earnings/revenue expectations and guiding lower.

On the economic front, the weekly MBA Mortgage Index spiked 11.6% to follow last week's increase of 5.6%, while CPI and core CPI both ticked up 0.1% (CPI Briefing.com consensus 0.0%; Core CPI consensus +0.2%). Energy prices declined 0.7%, representing the third monthly decrease. Food prices, meanwhile, increased 0.3% after rising 0.2% in August with beef and veal prices rising 2.0% to bring their 2014 increase to 16.7%.

Treasuries are on their lows with the 10-yr yield up two basis points at 2.24%.

8:58 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +1.60. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +13.20. The S&P 500 futures trade five points above fair value.

It was a sea of green across Asia as only China's Shanghai Composite (-0.6%) lost ground.

In economic data:
Japan's trade deficit widened to JPY1.07 trillion from JPY910 billion (expected deficit of JPY910 billion) as exports rose 6.9% year-over-year (expected 6.8%; previous -1.3%) and imports increased 6.2% (consensus 3.0%; last -1.5%)
Australia's CB Leading Index came in at -0.2% (previous 0.6%) while MI Leading Index slipped 0.1% (last -0.1%). Separately, CPI rose 0.5% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.4%; previous 0.5%) while the year-over-year reading increased 2.3%, as expected.

------

Japan's Nikkei surged 2.6% back above the 200-day moving average. Apple suppliers saw strong gains after the company reported better than expected results. Japan Aviation Electronics was among the winners, adding 3.5%.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng climbed 1.4% to a two-week high as action regained the 200-day average. Energy names provided support with Sinopec up 1.5% and PetroChina higher by 3.0%.
China's Shanghai Composite lost 0.6%, putting in a fresh one-month low. Pharma remained a drag as Jiangsu Lianhuan Pharmaceutical lost 4.8%.
India's Sensex gained 0.8%, lifting to a one-month high. Automakers outperformed as Hero MotoCorp and Bajaj Auto gained 4.0% and 3.4%, respectively.

Major European indices trade near their flat lines with Italy's MIB (+0.5%) showing the largest gain. Elsewhere, The Bank of England released the minutes from its latest meeting, revealing a split vote with seven members supporting a continuation of current policy while two members voted for a hike. The 7-2 split was in line with the previous meeting.

Participants did not receive any notable data
------

Great Britain's FTSE is higher by 0.3% with insurers contributing to the advance. Direct Line Insurance, Admiral Group, and Old Mutual are up between 2.3% and 3.2%. Consumer names lag with British American Tobacco, WM Morrison Supermarkets, and J Sainsbury down between 1.9% and 3.9%.
In France, the CAC trades up 0.4%. Technology names lead with Cap Gemini and Gemalto sporting respective gains of 2.1% and 1.8%. On the downside, consumer stocks Carrefour, Danone, and Pernod Ricard are down between 0.6% and 1.1%.
Germany's DAX has added 0.4%. Deutsche Boerse leads with a gain of 3.1% while business software publisher SAP lags with a loss of 1.0%.
Italy's MIB is higher by 0.5% and leads the region amid strength in large components. Fiat Chrysler, Telecom Italia, and STMicroelectronics are up between 1.2% and 2.2%.

8:32 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +0.90. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +7.50. The S&P 500 futures trade one point above fair value.

Total CPI increased 0.1% (Briefing.com consensus 0.0%) in September while core CPI, which excludes food and energy, also ticked up 0.1% (Briefing.com consensus +0.2%). On a year-over-year basis, total CPI is up 1.7% and core CPI is also up 1.7%.

7:58 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +1.40. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +7.00. U.S. equity futures trade little changed amid subdued action overseas. The S&P 500 futures hover one point above fair value after slipping from their overnight highs.

Yesterday's broad-based surge represented the fourth consecutive advance for the benchmark index, which is now up 4.2% since last Wednesday's close. The index is still down 1.6% since the end of September while the Russell 2000 holds a month-to-date gain of 2.8%.

This week has been quiet on the economic data front with today's releases limited to the weekly MBA Mortgage Index, which spiked 11.6% to follow last week's increase of 5.6%, and the CPI report for September (Briefing.com consensus 0.0%), which will cross the wires at 8:30 ET.

Treasuries hold gains with the 10-yr yield down almost three basis points at 2.19%.

In U.S. corporate news of note:

Abbott Labs (ABT 42.23, -0.16): -0.4% after beating bottom-line estimates and narrowing its full-year 2014 guidance.
Broadcom (BRCM 39.50, +2.17): +5.8% after beating earnings and revenue estimates.
Boeing (BA 129.50, +2.38): +1.9% in reaction to above-consensus results.
Biogen Idec (BIIB 316.00, -10.77): -3.3% despite beating estimates and guiding ahead of consensus.
Cree (CREE 29.10, -4.05): -12.2% in reaction to disappointing earnings and light guidance.
Dow Chemical (DOW 49.75, +1.54): +3.2% following its bottom-line beat.
Lumber Liquidators (LL 51.30, -6.33): -11.0% after missing estimates and lowering guidance.
VMware (VMW 84.00, -4.19): -4.8% after its cautious guidance overshadowed better than expected results.
Yahoo! (YHOO 41.78, +1.60): +4.0% in reaction to above-consensus earnings and revenue.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended mostly higher. Hong Kong's Hang Seng +1.4%, Japan's Nikkei +2.6%, and China's Shanghai Composite -0.6%.
In economic data:
Japan's trade deficit widened to JPY1.07 trillion from JPY910 billion (expected deficit of JPY910 billion) as exports rose 6.9% year-over-year (expected 6.8%; previous -1.3%) and imports increased 6.2% (consensus 3.0%; last -1.5%)
Australia's CB Leading Index came in at -0.2% (previous 0.6%) while MI Leading Index slipped 0.1% (last -0.1%). Separately, CPI rose 0.5% quarter-over-quarter (expected 0.4%; previous 0.5%) while the year-over-year reading increased 2.3%, as expected.
In news:
In Japan, Prime Minster Shinzo Abe's adviser Etsuro Honda said that the next sales tax hike, expected to go into effect next year, should be postponed until 2017.

Major European indices trade near their flat lines. Great Britain's FTSE +0.1%, France's CAC +0.2%, and Germany's DAX +0.2%. Elsewhere, Italy's MIB +0.3% and Spain's IBEX -0.1%.
Participants did not receive any notable data
Among news of note:
The Bank of England released the minutes from its latest meeting, revealing a split vote with seven members supporting a continuation of current policy while two members voted for a hike. The 7-2 split was in line with the previous meeting.

6:43 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -3.00. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +2.00.

6:43 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...15,195.77...+391.50...+2.60%. Hang Seng...23,403.97...+315.40...+1.40%.

6:43 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...6,362.12...-10.10...-0.20%. DAX...8,882.76...-4.20...-0.10%.

Note: I've included the below tragic news about the shooting at Canada's Parliament...very sad news.

Ottawa Reeling as Soldier Dies After Attack at Parliament

By Theophilos Argitis, Andrew Mayeda and Greg Quinn Oct 22, 2014 7:23 PM ET

Canada is reeling after a day of violence in the nation’s capital, including a shootout in its main legislature building and the gunning down of a soldier guarding the country’s war memorial.

Stores and office buildings in downtown Ottawa were locked down after the unprecedented attack, raising terrorism concerns nationwide. The gunman was known as Michael Zehef-Bibeau, according to a U.S. law enforcement official who spoke on condition they not be identified. He was killed by parliamentary security officials.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who earlier this month authorized air strikes against Islamic State militants, is safe and isn’t on Parliament Hill, according to a statement from his office. He’s expected to speak publicly at 7:45 p.m. The attack comes two days after the murder of a soldier in a mall parking lot by a “radicalized” man near Montreal.

“This is a dynamic situation and is evolving,” Gilles Michaud, commander of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s National Division, said in a televised news conference.

Witnesses said a man with a long, dark coat was seen shortly before 10 a.m. at the war memorial carrying a rifle. He killed a soldier at the site before fleeing toward Parliament Hill. A few minutes later, at least a dozen shots were fired inside the parliament buildings close to where lawmakers were meeting. The soldier who died was Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, according to a defence department official who asked not to be named because the information isn’t public.

The suspect was a Canadian citizen who had converted to Islam, according to the U.S. official. He was known to Canadian authorities and had his passport seized, according to the Globe & Mail newspaper, which didn’t say where it obtained the information.

Balaclavas, Rifles

Police wearing balaclavas and flak jackets and carrying assault rifles are still patrolling an area that stretches at least five blocks from Parliament Hill. Dozens of workers streamed by foot southward from Parliament Hill after being let out of their offices.

Attachment:
i3wfnO1CSbG8[1].png
i3wfnO1CSbG8[1].png [ 598.74 KiB | Viewed 350 times ]

The U.S. embassy in Ottawa is in lockdown and all personnel have been accounted for, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters in Washington today. Secretary of State John Kerry has been briefed on the situation and the movement of embassy staff was being restricted as a precautionary measure, she said.

“We’re in lockdown,” Karl Belanger, spokesman for the New Democratic Party leader Thomas Mulcair, said in a telephone interview from the parliament building, where he was waiting with about a dozen party staff for the lockdown to be lifted. “I looked outside my window and saw the RCMP deploying, about 30 cruisers.”
Photographer: Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press via AP Images

An Ottawa police officer outside Parliament Hill on Oct. 22, 2014. A soldier standing... Read More

‘I’m Shaking’

Parliamentary security forces reinstated a lockdown about 7 p.m. at several downtown buildings that house lawmaker offices and political party officials, according to an e-mail sent by the Parliamentary Press Gallery.

One staff member for an opposition lawmaker, who asked not to be identified because he’s not authorized to speak publicly, said he was still being locked down in a room in the main parliament building, along with one member of the House of Commons and one Senator. A threat remains outside the buildings, the staff member said he was told.

“I’m ex-military and I’ve never had a weapon pointed at me,” said Barry Willis, a maintenance worker on Parliament hill, who said the gunman was wearing a blue and white headscarf. “I’m shaking.”

Earlier this week, two Canadian armed forces members were hit by a car in Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, a town about 50 kilometers (30 miles) southeast of Montreal. One of the soldiers later died. The driver, who authorities say had been “radicalized,” was shot by police after a car chase and the government said the attack was linked to “terrorist ideology.”

A Royal Canadian Mounted Police intervention team responds to a reported shooting at... Read More

Parliamentary Debate

During Parliamentary debates this month about whether to take military action against Islamic State militants in Iraq, Harper said the threat from the group “is explicitly directed, in part, against this country.” CF-18 fighter jets left an Alberta military base yesterday to take part in the mission.

“We’re looking at multiple suspects,” Constable Chuck Benoit, spokesman for the Ottawa Police Service, said in a telephone interview. Police were dispatched to track two to three suspects, whose descriptions they have from intelligence reports, Benoit said. Ottawa police chief Charles Bordeleau later declined to comment on how many suspects there may be.

The FBI offered its assistance to Canadian investigators and sent a reminder to its field officers to stay on alert “in light of recent calls for attacks against government personnel by terrorist groups and like-minded individuals.”

Armed Officers

Police warned residents to stay away from the downtown core and to keep away from windows. Armed officers were on the scene, with about 20 police cars surrounding the war memorial steps from Parliament Hill.

Harper was set to meet today with with Nobel Prize winner Malala Yousafzai in Toronto, who was to be given honorary Canadian citizenship for her fight against extremist violence. That event was postponed.

Marc-Andre Viau, a spokesman for the New Democratic Party, said he saw a gunman enter the main parliamentary building that houses the legislative chambers, pursued by police. Maurice Vellacott, a lawmaker for the Conservatives, said he was giving a tour to visitors when he heard a shot fired. “At first when you hear the bang, you’re not sure what it is,” Vellacott told reporters.

“What I saw was one person shot,” said Yan Legtenvorg, a tourist from Holland who was at the war memorial. He ran “to Parliament Hill with his rifle in his hand. Small guy with long black hair. We heard four shots and we saw the guy running away with a long rifle.”

Soldier Running

Another witness, Raivo Nommik, said “I was walking back. I heard the first shot and turned around and I thought at first it was just ceremonial. Then I just saw the guy with the rifle. The second soldier there running and he ran over one of the walls here and I just ducked down behind the wall.”

The Standard & Poor’s/TSX Composite Index dropped almost 14 points in the 10-minute period when the first headline said shots were fired in Ottawa. It fell a further 60 points in the next 10 minutes. It declined 1.6 percent today, the most since June 2013.

Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz postponed a press conference planned for 11:15 a.m. in Ottawa to discuss the bank’s rate announcement today and monetary policy report, as well as a planned appearance before the Commons Finance Committee at 3:30 p.m. and tomorrow’s testimony to the Senate Banking Committee.

“I was completely terrorized,” Alexandre Boulerice, an NDP lawmaker from Quebec who was inside parliament when the shots occurred, said in a telephone interview with RDI Television. “I’ve never been so scared in my life. I heard a bunch of gunshots outside the door and there was no way to know how many shooters there were.”

“I’ve never experienced such a level of adrenaline or stress,” he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Theophilos Argitis in Ottawa at targitis@bloomberg.net; Andrew Mayeda in Ottawa at amayeda@bloomberg.net; Greg Quinn in Ottawa at gquinn1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: David Scanlan at dscanlan@bloomberg.net Paul Badertscher

Special thanks to Bloomberg, CNNMoney, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
questions@thestrategylab.com
Go Back To TheStrategyLab.com Homepage