TheStrategyLab.com Price Action Trading Support Forum

Forum for price action traders that want to learn WRB Analysis basic tutorial chapters 1, 2 and 3 prior to purchasing our advance trade methods. Hashtags: #wrbanalysis #wrbzone #wrbhiddengap #priceaction #trading
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: May 20th Tuesday Trade Results - Profit $3350.00
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:01 am 
Site Admin

Trade Results of M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Price Action Trading (no technical indicators)
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Free Chat Room: http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
questions@thestrategylab.com (24/7)
http://twitter.com/wrbtrader (24/7)

Attachment:
052014-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+3350.00.png
052014-wrbtrader-Price-Action-Trading-PnL-Blotter-Profit+3350.00.png [ 174.5 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]

click on the above image to view today's performance verification

Price Action Trade Performance for Today: Emini TF ($TF_F) futures @ $3,350.00 dollars or +33.50 points, Emini ES ($ES_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Light Crude Oil CL ($CL_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points, Gold GC ($GC_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.00 points and EuroFX 6E ($6E_F) futures @ $0.00 dollars or +0.0000 ticks. Total Profit @ $3,350.00 dollars

Russell 2000 Emini TF Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ The ICE
S&P 500 Emini ES Futures: 1 tick or 0.25 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Light Crude Oil CL (WTI) Futures: 1 tick or 0.01 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
Gold GC Futures: 1 tick or 0.10 = $10.00 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup
EuroFX 6E Futures: 1 tick or 0.0001 = $12.50 dollars and there's more contract information @ CMEGroup

In addition, all of my trades were posted real-time in the timestamp ##TheStrategyLab chat room. You can read today's price action trading information about my trades (e.g. time, price entry, contract size, price exit) as the trade traversed to its completion. Also, sometimes I'll post real-time trading tips involving WRBs, WRB Hidden GAPs, Key Market Events (KME), Tutorial Chapters 2 & 3, WRB Zones, Reaction Highs/Lows, Contracting Volatility or Expanding Volatility. Its all archived @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/ftchat/forum/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=1796

Quote:
If any of my real-time posted trades are via key concepts discussed in the WRB Analysis free study guide or the Fading Volatility Breakout (FVB) free trade signal strategy...I will discuss the reasons (trade strategy) behind those trades if/when a user of ##TheStrategyLab chat room ask questions about the trades. In contrast, real-time posted trades that are via the Advance WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 4 - 12 or the Volatility Trading Report (VTR) trade signal strategies...I discuss the reasons (trade strategy) behind those trades with fee-base clients in a different private chat room that's designated only for fee-base clients or discuss the strategies with fee-base clients on my Skype contact list.

Also, posted below are direct links to information about my price action trade methodology and trading plan (there's a difference between the two) that enables me to identify key trading areas in the price action that represent changes in supply/demand and volatility along with being able to exploit these changes via WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis). I'm primarily a day trader because it suits my personal lifestyle but I do occasionally swing trade and position trade. Simply, my trade method is applicable for position trading, swing trading and day trading.

Image ##TheStrategyLab Chat Room is free. Members and I use the chat room to post WRB Analysis commentary, real-time trades and to post anything else related to trading. The chat room helps me tremendously in my own trading because I use it to document (journal) general volatility analysis involving WRB Analysis so that I can easily review at a later date my thoughts as I interacted with the markets...info I can not get from my broker statements. Also, this is not a signal calling chat room where a head trader tells you when to buy or sell and I do not have the time/energy/resources to manage a signal calling chat room. Access instructions for chat room @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=164

Image Price Action Analysis via WRB Analysis Tutorials @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/WRBAnalysisTutorials.htm and there's a free study guide of the WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=718

Image Trade Signal Strategies via Volatility Trading Report (VTR) @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/VolatilityTrading.htm and there's a free trade signal strategy @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewforum.php?f=89 so that you can freely test drive one of our price action trade strategies with support (answering your questions) prior to purchasing the Volatility Trading Report (VTR).

Image Trading Plan Daily Routine @ http://www.thestrategylab.com/tsl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=238&t=2329

-----------------------------

Market Context Summaries

The below summaries by Bloomberg, CNNMoney, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance helps me to do a quick review of the fundamentals, FED/ECB/BOE/IMF actions or any important global economic events (e.g. Eurozone, MarketWatch.com) that had an impact on today's price action in many trading instruments I monitor during the trading day. Simply, I'm a strong believer that key market events causes key changes in supply/demand and volatility resulting in trade opportunities (swing points and strong continuation price actions) that reach profit targets. Thus, I pay attention to these key market events, intermarket analysis (e.g. Forex EurUsd, EuroFX 6E futures, Gold GC futures, Light Crude Oil (WTI) CL & Brent Oil futures, Eurex DAX futures, Euronext FTSE100 futures, Emini ES futures, Emini TF futures, Treasury ZB futures and U.S. Dollar Index futures) while using WRB Analysis from one trade to the next trade to give me the market context for price action trading before the appearance of my technical analysis trade signals. Therefore, I maintain these archives to allow me to understand what was happening on any given trading day in the past involving key market events to help better understand my trade decisions (day trading, swing trading, position trading)...something I can not get from my broker statements alone. Further, most financial websites remove (delete) their archives after a few years to make room for new content. Therefore, I maintain my own archives of the news content so that I have it available for me when financial websites no longer archives their content.

Retail Havoc Drives Dow Down 138

Attachment:
052014-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png
052014-Key-Price-Action-Markets.png [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 336 times ]

click on the above image to view today's price action of key markets

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Talk about an ugly day for retailers.

Investors took chips off the table on Tuesday as everyone from Staples to Urban Outfitters provided fresh evidence that Americans are spending less in brick-and-mortar stores.

The Dow Jones industrial average, S&P 500 and Nasdaq all closed solidly in the red. The Dow fell 138 points and landed at three-week lows. The S&P 500 was off 0.65% and the Nasdaq down 0.7%.

Here are the key talking points from today:

1. People aren't shopping -- at least not at these stores

Traditional U.S. retailers are struggling. Office supply store Staples (SPLS, Fortune 500) slumped over 12% on lousy earnings and a warning that results in the current period are likely to fall short of expectations. That news also weighed on rival Office Depot (ODP, Fortune 500), which fell 6%.

"$SPLS Staples slides as strip malls march toward extinction," StockTwits user txbajabill wrote.

Related: Staples stock plunges 13% on weak sales

Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS, Fortune 500) tumbled 18% after revealing subpar golf and hunting sales that sparked weaker than expected results. Dick's also spooked investors by dimming its sales and earnings outlook for the entire year. The company needs a new round -- or arsenal -- of ideas.

2. Not so pretty looks at Target, Penney and Urban Outfitters

It wasn't much prettier for regular clothing, either. Shares of Urban Outfitters (URBN) fell 9% after the retailer revealed a profit drop that was driven by higher expenses. T.J. Maxx and Marshalls parent TJX (TJX, Fortune 500) slid nearly 8% on an earnings and sales miss.

Another struggling retailer, Target (TGT, Fortune 500), announced the departure of Canadian chief Tony Fisher, who will be replaced by Mark Schindele. The move comes just weeks after Target dismissed CEO Gregg Steinhafel and amid concerns about continued losses in the company's Canadian division. Target is set to report results Wednesday morning

Department store J.C. Penney (JCP, Fortune 500) lost ground after Wells Fargo downgraded the stock. CNNMoney's Paul R. La Monica doesn't buy the JCP rebound story, either.

The flurry of bad news didn't instill confidence in PetSmart (PETM, Fortune 500) investors ahead of the specialty retailer's scheduled earnings report Wednesday morning.

3. Burgers & spring cleaning

One of the lone positive retail stories today is Home Depot (HD, Fortune 500), which rallied 2% after upgrading its outlook. The rosier view offset concerns over the home improvement retailer's weak first-quarter profits and sales.

Maybe people really are doing their spring cleaning and summer repairs.

Americans might not be shopping much in brick-and-mortar stores, but they're definitely gobbling up Red Robin (RRGB) burgers. The fast food joint's shares popped 13% on a first-quarter earnings beat fueled by sales and margin growth.

4. Remember momentum stocks?

Growth concerns were triggered by Caterpillar (CAT, Fortune 500), which said machine sales slumped 13% in the three months ended in April. The mining equipment maker dropped almost 4%, making it the worst performer on the Dow. Other industrial stocks like United Steel (X, Fortune 500) and Alcoa (AA, Fortune 500) were also under pressure.

On the heels of Monday's gains, some beat-up momentum stocks continued to make headway despite few major developments. Shares of FireEye (FEYE) climbed 6%, while Pandora Media (P) advanced almost 2%.

More recall issues hit shares of General Motors (GM, Fortune 500). The auto maker fell over 3% after recalling another 2.4 million vehicles that will result in a $200 million charge.

5. Martial law in Thailand, mixed action overseas

While markets seem to be lacking any clear direction, the CNNMoney Fear & Greed index indicates that investors continue to feel fearful.

European markets closed mostly lower. Vodafone (VOD) shares slumped 5% following quarterly results. Credit Suisse (CS)rose 1% after the bank pleaded guilty to charges related to U.S. tax evasion. The Swiss lender agreed to pay $2.6 billion to settle a long-running probe.

Asian markets ended the day on a positive note, though gains were small. Thailand's stock market retreated 1.2% and the country's currency dropped after the Thai army surprised the country by declaring martial law.

4:15 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages ended the Tuesday in the red after surrendering their gains from Monday. In fact, the Russell 2000, which led the way on Monday, paced today's retreat after being unable to reclaim its 200-day moving average (1117/1118). The small cap index fell 1.5%, while the S&P 500 lost 0.7% with nine sectors ending in the red.

Equity indices began the day with modest losses amid general weakness in most cyclical sectors. Most notably, retailers pressured the discretionary sector (-0.9%) after Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 43.60, -9.56), Staples (SPLS 11.71, -1.68), TJX (TJX 53.95, -4.45), and Urban Outfitters (URBN 32.98, -3.19) all reported disappointing earnings.

Similar to the four names, Home Depot (HD 77.96, +1.46) also reported below-consensus earnings, but the Dow component was able to stay out of the red as upbeat comments from the management overshadowed the earnings miss. Despite Home Depot's outperformance, the retail space struggled with the SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 81.83, -2.07) falling 2.5%.

Elsewhere among influential sectors, financials (-0.7%) and industrials (-1.3%) lagged, while technology (-0.5%) and health care (-0.6%) outperformed.

Notably, the second-weakest sector of the month-financials-extended its May loss to 1.3%. In all fairness, the economically-sensitive group has been unable to gain any traction since the start of the year as today's loss widened its year-to-date decline to 0.9%.

Also of note, the health care sector was able to keep pace with the S&P 500 even as biotechnology struggled. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 228.36, -3.14) lost 1.4%, which contributed to the underperformance of the Nasdaq.

All in all, today's early price action was relatively sloppy, which opened the door to a more pronounced retreat in the afternoon. In addition, the overall sense of caution was heightened by continued yen strength as the dollar/yen pair registered its fifth consecutive decline while testing its 200-day moving average (101.19).

In all likelihood, some will attribute today's retreat to comments from Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser, who said he felt the economy is on its firmest footing since the recovery began. However, it is worth noting that equities began sliding ahead of Mr. Plosser's comments and that longer-dated Treasuries actually climbed to highs following the remarks. The 10-yr note advanced nine ticks, pressuring its yield four basis points to 2.51%.

Today's participation marked an improvement from yesterday, but remained below average with less than 650 million shares changing hands at the NYSE.

Tomorrow, the weekly MBA Mortgage Index will be reported at 7:00 ET, while the minutes from the latest FOMC policy meeting will be released at 14:00 ET.
Related Stories

[video]Only One Direction Can Be Right TheStreet.com
Equities drop sharply to key levels optionMONSTER
VIX near 12 as equities end mixed optionMONSTER
VIX falls again with equities mixed optionMONSTER
InPlay from Briefing.com Briefing.com

S&P 500 +1.3% YTD
Dow Jones Industrial Average -1.2% YTD
Nasdaq Composite -1.9% YTD
Russell 2000 -5.5% YTD

3:30 pm: [BRIEFING.COM]

Precious metals rallied into positive territory today as equity markets opened.
June gold traded as low as $1286.00 per ounce in early morning action and rose to a session high of $1297.20. It eventually settled 40 cents higher at $1294.50 per ounce.
July silver brushed a session low of $19.23 moments after floor trade opened and climbed as high as $19.47. It managed to hold on to most of the gain and settled at $19.40 per ounce, or 0.3% higher.
July crude oil slipped to a session low of $101.69 per barrel but recovered back into positive territory by late morning action. It brushed a session high of $102.46 per barrel and settled with a 0.2% gain at $102.31 per barrel.
June natural gas trended higher after lifting from its session low of $4.48 per MMBtu set moments after floor trade opened. It rose as high as $4.57 per MMBtu and settled with a 1.8% gain at $4.55 per MMBtu.

3:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 trades lower by 0.8% with one hour remaining in the session. The benchmark average tried to stage a rebound during the past hour, but has not been able to put any significant distance between its current standing and the session low.

Elsewhere, the Russell 2000 holds a loss of 1.9% and if the session ended now, the small cap index would register its lowest close of the year. Including its current loss, the Russell is down 5.7% so far in 2014 and down roughly 10.0% from its early March high.

2:30 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 (-0.7%) is trying to put together a rebound after spending the early afternoon in a steady retreat. Although the benchmark index has reclaimed about four points, it still has ways to go before regaining its flat line.

Retail earnings were in focus today and that will be the case once again tomorrow with results from American Eagle (AEO 11.36, -0.62), Target (TGT 56.66, -1.63), Lowe's (LOW 45.48, -0.07), and Tiffany (TIF 88.16, -2.59) expected ahead of the opening bell.

In addition, participants are also awaiting a couple reports from the tech sector as Salesforce.com (CRM 53.02, -0.21) and Intuit (INTU 76.40, -0.66) will release their results after today's closing bell.

2:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have slid to new lows for the session with the Russell 2000 now trading lower by 2.0%. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 has widened its loss to 0.9% amid broad-based weakness.

Top-weighted sectors traded in mixed fashion earlier, but they are now pressuring the broader market as consumer discretionary (-1.3%), financials (-0.9%), and health care (-0.9%) lag, while the tech sector (-0.8%) trades in-line with the S&P 500.

Also of note, participants have shown increased interest in volatility protection during recent action. The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX 13.30, +0.88) is higher by 7.1%.

1:25 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The stock market is acting poorly today and that in and of itself is part of the problem. To that end, there was some hope that Monday's advance, which was paced by small-cap and momentum stocks, would persist. It hasn't.

The Russell 2000 in particular has been a real source of disappointment. It wasted no time at all surrendering Monday's 1.0% gain, getting beaten back without any attempt to run through its 200-day moving average (1117.22). It is currently down 1.6% and seems to have carried investor sentiment down with it as it tracks back toward its closing low for the year (1093.59).

Every sector in the S&P 500 is trading lower at the moment, including the defensive-oriented sectors, which point to an overall lack of buying interest in the stock market.

The major indices are near their lows for the day, moving inversely to the yen, which is near its session high against the dollar and testing the resolve of carry-trade positions. Similarly, the 10-yr note is at its best level of the day (+10/32, 2.507%) as the stock market continues to struggle.

1:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] At midday, the major averages sit on their lows with the Russell 2000 (-1.6%) showing the largest decline after pacing yesterday's advance. As a result, the small cap index has distanced itself from its 200-day moving average after settling just three points below that level on Monday.

Just like on Monday, today's session was free of noteworthy economic data; however, unlike yesterday, participants have had a handful of quarterly reports to digest.

Unfortunately, results from the retail space have given investors some indigestion as Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 43.93, -9.23), Staples (SPLS 11.66, -1.73), TJX (TJX 54.38, -4.02), and Urban Outfitters (URBN 33.35, -2.82) display losses between 6.9% and 17.5% after all four reported disappointing results. Home Depot (HD 78.35, +1.85) also reported below-consensus earnings, but the Dow component has been able to rebound after management made upbeat comments about the current quarter.

Even though Home Depot outperforms, the broader SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 81.94, -1.96) is lower by 2.4%, while the consumer discretionary sector lags with a loss of 0.7%. Including today's decline, the weakest sector of the year is now down 4.9% so far in 2014.

Outside of the discretionary sector, other top-weighted groups are a bit mixed. Industrials (-1.2%) trail the remaining cyclical sectors, while health care and financials are keeping pace with the S&P 500. For its part, the top-weighted sector-technology (-0.3%)-outperforms amid relative strength in some influential sector members like Apple (AAPL 604.62, +0.02), Google (GOOG 532.08, +3.22), and Qualcomm (QCOM 80.02, +0.21).

On the fixed income side, Treasuries are on their highs after starting the session with slim losses. The 10-yr note trades up seven ticks with its yield down three basis points at 2.52%. A similar sense of caution can be seen in the foreign exchange market as the dollar/yen pair hovers at its session low, just above its 200-day moving average (101.20).

12:25 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] Recent action saw the major averages slide to fresh session lows. Although the retreat was not brought upon by a particular news item, the weakness could be traced back to the foreign exchange market, where the yen has returned to its best level of the session.

Currently, the dollar/yen pair hovers near 101.25, just five pips above the pair's 200-day moving average. Yesterday, the closely-watched currency pair dipped below its 200-day average for the first time since late October, but was able to rally into the afternoon.

It is also worth mentioning that the recent broad-based retreat coincided with Treasuries spiking to highs. The 10-yr note is now up eight ticks with its yield down three basis points at 2.51%.

12:00 pm: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 (-0.2%) has not moved much during the past hour, but the Nasdaq (-0.1%) has inched closer to its flat line thanks to a rebound in biotechnology. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 230.77, -0.73) has trimmed its loss to 0.4% after being down as much as 1.3% earlier.

The rebound in biotech has given a small boost to the health care sector (-0.2%), which has yet to make it back into the green. Meanwhile, the other heavily-weighted groups are mixed. Technology (+0.2%) leads, while consumer discretionary (-0.3%), financials (-0.4%), and industrials (-0.7%) remain weak.

11:30 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The S&P 500 trades right in the middle of its range as dip-buyers make an effort to force a sustained rebound.

Earlier, we mentioned the set of disappointing quarterly results that have exerted pressure on retailers. Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 44.33, -8.83), Staples (SPLS 11.82, -1.57), TJX (TJX 54.51, -3.89), and Urban Outfitters (URBN 33.62, -2.55) continue showing losses between 6.7% and 16.6%, while Home Depot (HD 78.59, +2.09) now trades higher by 2.7% after its upbeat comments about May sales fueled a rebound.

The SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT 82.08, -1.82) is lower by 2.2%, while the consumer discretionary sector (-0.4%) trades not far behind the S&P 500.

11:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Equity indices have climbed off their lows, but they still have some work ahead of them before turning positive. The S&P 500 holds a loss of 0.2% with eight sectors trading in the red. The industrial sector (-0.6%) is the weakest performing group, while just about every other sector displays a loss of no more than 0.2%.

The telecom space (-0.5%) is an exception, but the group's underperformance can be overlooked since it only accounts for 2.5% of the entire S&P 500.

Elsewhere, the largest S&P 500 sector-technology (unch)-is showing relative strength, but the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite (-0.3%) lags amid weakness in biotechnology. The iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB 229.31, -2.19) is lower by 1.0%.

10:35 am: [BRIEFING.COM]

The dollar index has been trading in positive territory all day so far
However, this isn't really pressuring most commodities
Gold and silver rallied in recent trade, which followed a sell-off after pit trading opened
Currently, June gold is +0.04% at $1294.30/oz, while July silver is +0.3% at $19.41/oz
July crude oil sold off in recent trade and just hit a new session low. Crude is now -0.3% at $101.80/barrel
Natural gas futures have been climbing higher today and is currently +1.2% at $4.52/MMBtu
Copper, meanwhile, has been inching lower and is now -1% at $3.14/lb
Note: Last day of trade for June crude contract. July is now new front-month contract

10:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Unable to bounce from their opening levels, the major averages have extended their losses. The S&P 500 is now lower by 0.3%, while the three weakest sectors-consumer discretionary, financials, and industrials-are down between 0.5% and 0.7%.

Elsewhere, the remaining top-weighted sectors are holding up a bit better as health care and technology both trade in line with the S&P 500.

Also of note, the Russell 2000 has erased yesterday's entire advance as it trades lower by 1.3%.

9:45 am: [BRIEFING.COM] The major averages began the session on the defensive with the Russell 2000 (-0.8%) facing the largest opening loss. The S&P 500, meanwhile, trades lower by 0.2% with eight sectors showing losses.

Even though most individual sectors hover in the red, their losses have been limited to no more than 0.4% so far. Heavily-weighted consumer discretionary, financials, and industrials are among the laggards, while materials (+0.1%) and utilities (+0.5%) sport modest gains.

Treasuries have inched up from their recent levels as the session got going, pressuring the 10-yr yield down one basis point to 2.54%.

9:12 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -1.90. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -2.30. The stock market is on track to begin today's session on a relatively quiet note as index futures trade just below their flat lines. Although the broader market is not expected to show much change in the early going, the retail sector is expected to face some selling pressure after Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 45.16, -8.00), Home Depot (HD 75.90, -0.60), TJX (TJX 56.10, -2.30), Staples (SPLS 12.02, -1.37), and Urban Outfitters (URBN 34.63, -1.54) all reported below-consensus quarterly results.

The aforementioned names hold pre-market losses between 0.8% and 15.1%, which is expected to weigh on the discretionary sector in the early going.

On the fixed income side, Treasuries climbed overnight, but have since notched fresh lows. Currently, the benchmark 10-yr yield is little changed at 2.55%.

9:00 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -1.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -1.50. The S&P 500 futures trade two points below fair value.

Asian markets endured a mixed session, but most of the moves were subdued. Thailand's SET, however, lost 1.1% after the country's army implemented martial law. Elsewhere, the Reserve Bank of Australia released its policy meeting minutes, which suggested lower capital inflows could weaken the Australian dollar. In data:

Australia's CB Leading Index eased to 0.0% from 0.2%.
Singapore posted a better than expected final Q1 GDP of 2.3% (1.0% expected) and its current account surplus narrowed to SGD16.3 billion from SGD16.8 billion.

------

Japan's Nikkei gained 0.5%, climbing off one-month lows. Yahoo Japan surged 11.7% after announcing it would no longer pursue the purchase of eAcess from Softbank.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.6%, closing at its best level in almost five weeks. Internet gaming giant Tencent Holdings paced the advance, climbing 4.0%.
China's Shanghai Composite edged up 0.2% after China announced it would limit the number of IPOs in the second half of the year to 100. Technology shares saw solid gains with Yonyou Software climbing 5.4% to lead the sector higher.

Core European indices trade in the red, while markets in Italy (+0.2%) and Spain (+0.4%) rebound from yesterday's underperformance. Participants received several data points today:

Germany's PPI slipped 0.1% month-over-month (consensus 0.1%, previous -0.3%), while the year-over-year reading fell 0.9% (forecast -0.8%, prior -0.9%).
Great Britain's CPI rose 0.4% month-over-month (consensus 0.3%, prior 0.2%), while the year-over-year reading increased 1.8% (expected 1.7%, last 1.6%). Separately, Core CPI increased 2.0% year-over-year (forecast 1.8%, previous 1.6%) and Input PPI fell 1.1% month-over-month (consensus -0.2%, prior -0.4%).
Italy's Industrial New Orders rose 1.3% month-over-month (consensus 2.8%, previous -3.2%), while the year-over-year reading increased 2.8% (expected 3.5%, last 2.8%).

------

Great Britain's FTSE is lower by 0.5% amid weakness in shares of Vodafone after the company issued a cautious outlook for next year. Shares of the telecom operator trade lower by 4.4%. Carnival leads with a gain of 4.3% after receiving a downgrade.
In France, the CAC holds a loss of 0.3%. Consumer stocks underperform with Carrefour and Danone down 0.3% and 1.3%. Software stock Gemalto leads with an increase of 2.4%.
Germany's DAX trades down 0.2% as producers of basic materials trade on both sides of the flat line. Linde trades up 0.4%, while BASF and Lanxess hold respective losses of 0.6% and 1.0%.
Spain's IBEX is higher by 0.4% with Bankinter, and Banco Santander providing support. The Two trade higher by 3.1% and 0.9%, respectively.

8:26 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: +0.80. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +4.00. U.S. equity futures remain little changed as this morning bears close resemblance to yesterday's pre-market action. In fact, yesterday's session produced the second-lowest volume total of the year as less than 573 million shares changed hands at the NYSE.

Unlike yesterday, participants did receive a handful of quarterly reports that have the potential to influence the performance of retailers. Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 45.61, -7.55), Home Depot (HD 75.40, -1.10), Staples (SPLS 12.05, -1.34), and Urban Outfitters (URBN 34.70, -1.47) all hold pre-market losses after delivering disappointing quarterly reports.

7:58 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -0.10. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +1.50. U.S. equity futures trade little changed amid subdued action overseas. The S&P 500 futures hover in line with fair value.

Reviewing overnight developments:

Asian markets ended mostly higher. China's Shanghai Composite +0.2%, Japan's Nikkei +0.5%, and Hong Kong's Hang Seng +0.6%.
Economic data was limited:
Japan's All Industries Activity Index rose 1.5% month-over-month (consensus 1.6%, previous -1.1%).
Singapore's GDP rose 2.3% quarter-over-quarter (expected 1.0%, previous 0.1%), while the year-over-year reading increased 4.9% (forecast 5.5%, last 5.1%).
South Korea's PPI slipped 0.2% month-over-month (prior 0.0%), while the year-over-year reading decreased 0.3% (previous -0.5%).
In news:
The Reserve Bank of Australia released its latest policy meeting minutes, which reiterated the expectation for low rates to remain in place for "some time."
In Thailand, the country's army declared martial law in order to maintain order amid continued political turmoil. Thai SET fell 1.1% in reaction to the developments.

Major European indices trade in mixed fashion. Great Britain's FTSE -0.5%, France's CAC -0.3%, and Germany's DAX -0.1%. Elsewhere, Italy's MIB +0.1% and Spain's IBEX +0.1%.
In economic data:
Germany's PPI slipped 0.1% month-over-month (consensus 0.1%, previous -0.3%), while the year-over-year reading fell 0.9% (forecast -0.8%, prior -0.9%).
Great Britain's CPI rose 0.4% month-over-month (consensus 0.3%, prior 0.2%), while the year-over-year reading increased 1.8% (expected 1.7%, last 1.6%). Separately, Core CPI increased 2.0% year-over-year (forecast 1.8%, previous 1.6%) and Input PPI fell 1.1% month-over-month (consensus -0.2%, prior -0.4%).
Italy's Industrial New Orders rose 1.3% month-over-month (consensus 2.8%, previous -3.2%), while the year-over-year reading increased 2.8% (expected 3.5%, last 2.8%).
Among news of note:
Great Britain's FTSE trails other regional indices amid weakness in shares of Vodafone after the company issued a cautious outlook for next year. Shares of the telecom operator trade lower by 4.4%.

In U.S. corporate news:

Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS 48.30, -7.86): -14.8% after missing earnings estimates and guiding lower.
Home Depot (HD 75.90, -0.60): -0.8% following its earnings and revenue miss.
Staples (SPLS 11.97, -1.42): -10.6% after missing earnings estimates and guiding upcoming earnings below consensus.
Urban Outfitters (URBN 34.40, -1.77): -4.9% after missing bottom-line estimates by one cent.

There is no economic data of note on today's calendar.

6:39 am: [BRIEFING.COM] S&P futures vs fair value: -1.50. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: -3.50.

6:39 am: [BRIEFING.COM] Nikkei...14075.25...+68.80...+0.50%. Hang Seng...22834.68...+130.20...+0.60%.

6:39 am: [BRIEFING.COM] FTSE...6814.69...-29.90...-0.40%. DAX...9640.21...-19.40...-0.20%.

Special thanks to Bloomberg, CNNMoney, Reuters and Yahoo! Finance for their market summaries. gm

Best Regards,
M.A. Perry
Trader and Founder of WRB Analysis (wide range body/bar analysis)
Image@ http://twitter.com/wrbtrader Image@ http://stocktwits.com/wrbtrader

http://www.thestrategylab.com
Phone: +1 708 572-4885
Business Hours: 8am - 5pm est (Mon - Fri)
Skype Messenger: kebec2002
questions@thestrategylab.com
Go Back To TheStrategyLab.com Homepage